The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Marriage: Inciting a backlash, or dragging along too slowly?  (Read 661767 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Gay Marriage: Inciting a backlash, or dragging along too slowly?
« Reply #5161 on: May 20, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »
Due to the perceived duplicative mission of the group, SCOP’s proposal was rejected, according to the letter, which did not reference other university-recognized groups.

The word should have been duplicitious. >:(

“We reject the view that the young have agreed to redefine marriage,” the group’s Facebook page continues.“Rather, we think that they have not explored the meaning and importance of marriage.”

Well it is kind of hard for the (gay) youth to explore the meaning and importance of marriage if they are not allowed to get married in the first place. And I would bet good money that those gay youth who get married and have kids, last a lot longer than the 'traditional' married couples.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5162 on: May 21, 2014, 06:03:50 AM »
very cool about Pa.!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5163 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
Due to the perceived duplicative mission of the group, SCOP’s proposal was rejected, according to the letter, which did not reference other university-recognized groups.

The word should have been duplicitious. >:(

“We reject the view that the young have agreed to redefine marriage,” the group’s Facebook page continues.“Rather, we think that they have not explored the meaning and importance of marriage.”

Well it is kind of hard for the (gay) youth to explore the meaning and importance of marriage if they are not allowed to get married in the first place. And I would bet good money that those gay youth who get married and have kids, last a lot longer than the 'traditional' married couples.

Yeah. But it's another step in the right direction, more or less.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #5164 on: May 22, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »
And now, Pennsylvania!

and without any challenge from the peanut gallery.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #5165 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:01 AM »
Another step....

Utah Ordered to Recognize Over 1,000 Gay Marriages
SALT LAKE CITY May 20, 2014 (AP)
By BRADY McCOMBS Associated Press

When Matthew Barraza and Tony Milner's 5-year-old son starts kindergarten next fall, both of his fathers could finally be recognized as his legal parents.

A federal judge on Monday ordered Utah officials to recognize more than 1,000 same-sex marriages that took place in the state before the U.S. Supreme Court issued an emergency stay. If the rulings stands after a 21-day hold the judge placed on it, the state would be required to lift its freeze on benefits requested by gay couples.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/utah-ordered-grant-benefits-gay-couples-23786264
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #5166 on: June 01, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
Illinois same-sex marriage law goes into effect

"June 1 marked the first day all of Illinois' 102 counties could begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples after a piecemeal start where some county officials began granting licenses months ago following a federal court ruling.

Gay couples and civil rights advocates across the state are planning to mark the date with blessing ceremonies and group weddings, and several county clerks are opening briefly to issue licenses for those who don't want to wait for Monday morning.

" 'June 1 will be a history-making day in Illinois,' said Bernard Cherkasov, CEO of the gay rights group Equality Illinois. 'At long last, the state will recognize their families for what they are: which is equal in love, equal in commitment and equal in marriages.' "

http://abc7chicago.com/news/illinois-same-sex-marriage-law-goes-into-effect/87890/

(cross-posted at Hot Topics
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline lislis

• Expert
« Reply #5167 on: June 07, 2014, 12:26:04 AM »
http://equalityontrial.com/2014/06/06/wisconsin-sex-marriage-ban-struck/

...the state is seeking an emergency stay after some counties have issued marriage licenses.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #5168 on: June 07, 2014, 11:14:23 AM »
they may get their stay, but the judge who wrote the decision vets it first, and she has given them two weeks to get their arguments in.  there is a lot of marrying gonna be happening in those weeks, as individual county clerks are saying screw the stalling and issuing licenses, and wherever licenses are being issued, judges are suiting up and showing up to perform marriages, and random people are showing up with flowers and cakes.  these marriages are bringing out a truly lovely side of people.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #5169 on: June 10, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
marriages continue in wisconsin after a slow start.  by ones and twos reluctant county clerks got in the spirit of things and same sex marriage licenses are being issued by over 2/3 of wisconsin counties, now that judge crabb has refused to order a stay on her ruling.

its a party in wisconsin, and even people who didn't think they would get involved have joined in, because it is nearly impossible to see all that joy and not want to add to it.

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:07:12 PM by canmark »
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5171 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:25 PM »
What a wonderful sight!!!
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #5172 on: June 29, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »
marriages have been busting out all over, even if only for short windows.  those married in those windows however make it much more difficult to stuff the genie back in the bottle...

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5173 on: June 29, 2014, 09:30:34 PM »
First gay marriage in a UK consulate

Dual British Australian citizens Peter Stevenson and Gordon Fraser married in the UK Consulate in Sydney on Friday 27 June. Although the Australian government, did not object, their marriage is not recognised in Australian law. Prime Minister Tony Abbott is still not allowing Liberal Party members of parliament a free vote on same-sex marriage.

The then Australian government in 2010 refused to allow marriages in Portuguese consulates in Australia.

UK citizens with Australian partners have booked weddings in UK consulates in every Australian state capital in the next few months.

There is video of Peter and Gordon led by a bagpiper outside the Sydney Consulate and making a powerful statement on the Australian Marriage Equality website and also on the guardian.com

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5174 on: June 30, 2014, 02:23:07 AM »
That's good. More tiny steps then....
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.