The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News & Current Events  (Read 591927 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: News & Current Events
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:19 AM »
Ah...God works in mysterious ways...

First he created the duckbilled platypus and then he created Rick Warren...go figure....
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2009, 03:02:56 PM »
This is not good.

The U.N. suspended aid shipments in the Gaza Strip on Thursday and the Red Cross restricted its convoys after their trucks came under Israeli fire. The threat of a wider conflict arose when militants in Lebanon fired two rockets into northern Israel.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/08/un-israel-kills-driver-on_n_156168.html

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2009, 10:03:33 PM »
as opposed to the wars that ARE good ???
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2009, 06:33:41 AM »
Palin attacks the media say they are bias towards her becuase of her CLASS. She saids Caroline Kennedy is getting a free pass from the press too. I have this to say "Palin just shut your piehole and yes it is about class. Caroline has it and you don't."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/08/palin-caroline-kennedy-ge_n_156335.html

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2009, 08:19:05 AM »
Now Palin is criticizing Tina Fay and Katie Couric saying that they "Exploited" her. Get over yourself lady. Hasn't her 15 minutes of fame expired already?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/09/palin-katie-couric-tina-f_n_156506.html

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
Worst year for jobs since '45
Annual loss biggest since end of World War II. Unemployment rate rises to 7.2%.
By David Goldman, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: January 9, 2009: 12:11 PM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The hemorrhaging of American jobs accelerated at a record pace at the end of 2008, bringing the year's total job losses to 2.6 million or the highest level in more than six decades.

A sobering U.S. Labor Department jobs report Friday showed the economy lost 524,000 jobs in December and 1.9 million in the year's final four months, after the credit crisis began in September.

The unemployment rate rose to 7.2% last month from 6.7% in November - its highest rate since January 1993.

The steep annual drop in jobs marked the highest yearly job-loss total since 1945, the year in which World War II ended.

continues:

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/09/news/economy/jobs_december/?postversion=2009010912
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #111 on: January 09, 2009, 02:29:39 PM »
The Log Cabin Republican group is going broke. GOOD!!!

The Log Cabin Republicans, hampered by lackluster 2008 fundraising, is facing financial difficulties and ended the year at least $100,000 in debt, according to Patrick Sammon, the organization's president, who spoke to the Blade Friday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/09/leading-gay-republican-gr_n_156680.html

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #112 on: January 09, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »
The Log Cabin Republicans, hampered by lackluster 2008 fundraising, is facing financial difficulties and ended the year at least $100,000 in debt, according to Patrick Sammon, the organization's president, who spoke to the Blade Friday.

Then need to have some fundraisers.  Maybe Jeff Gannon could help them?

Offline BayCityJohn

• Obsessed
« Reply #113 on: January 09, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »

Then need to have some fundraisers.  Maybe Jeff Gannon could help them?

I'll buy that.
Once a virgin, always a virgin

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #114 on: January 09, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »
not sure if you can buy it, but it rents for $200 an hour  >:D

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »
Bush comments on Katrina sound sour in New Orleans
By BECKY BOHRER, Associated Press Writer Becky Bohrer, Associated Press Writer    Mon Jan 12, 6:29 pm ET

NEW ORLEANS President George W. Bush can defend the federal government's response to Hurricane Katrina. But to Gertrude LeBlanc, the view from her home in the city's Lower 9th Ward is all the evidence she needs to believe it was a failure.

A row of concrete foundations is all that's left where her neighbors' houses once stood.

"Bush didn't give a damn what we got," said the 73-year-old, who says she rebuilt her bright yellow house with the neat yard with help from a church group and the "little bit" in federal aid she got from the state-run program meant to help hurricane-affected homeowners, Road Home.

"To me, black folks weren't handled right, but we can't worry about it. We have to do the best we can."

When Bush leaves office next week, New Orleans will still show the scars of Hurricane Katrina, which slammed ashore on Aug. 29, 2005. LeBlanc's neighborhood is still largely uninhabited, with weeds tall around some decrepit houses and roads cracked and warped. In some neighborhoods, apartment buildings and businesses are empty. Some houses still bear the haunting markings left by search teams in the frantic aftermath of the storm.

Bush, in some of his last comments before leaving office, said Monday at a news conference that he stood behind the federal government's response to Katrina, even though he admitted once again that some things could have been done differently and acknowledged there's still more work to do. Those words stung for people still living in the aftermath of the storm, still waiting for neighbors to come home.

"More people need to have their own home there," Bush said. "But the systems are in place to continue the reconstruction in New Orleans. You know, people said, 'Well, the federal response was slow.' Don't tell me the federal response was slow when there was 30,000 people pulled off roofs right after the storm passed."

The comment drew an at-times exasperated response from residents like LeBlanc and government leaders, some of whom believe federal bureaucracy is still choking recovery efforts.

"Clearly there were mistakes made at every level of government, and I and other Louisiana leaders have accepted responsibility for our own," Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., said. "But no state is equipped to respond to a catastrophe of this magnitude, and for this reason, federal law specifically tasks the federal government to step up. It did not, and the president's failure to account for that responsibility more than three years later is terribly disappointing."

continues:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090112/ap_on_re_us/bush_newser_katrina_7

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »
Tim Kaine on gay rights

The Washington Post reports that Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine is going to be appointed the next chair of the Democratic National Committee, replacing Howard Dean.

In 2005, when Kaine was running for governor, he was the only candidate to respond to questions from the Blade regarding gay rights. Though he has said he opposes gay marriage and civil unions, he doesn't believe the federal government should regulate marriage.

The Marshall-Newman Amendment, which defines marriage as solely between one man and one woman, passed in Virginia in 2006. Kaine voiced his opposition to the amendment prior to its passage and voted against it, and signed the bill once it passed, but out of a requirement as governor and not his own personal feelings, according to the National Stonewall Democrats. His overall record on gay rights can be described as "mixed." He did sign a medical rights bill earlier this year.

http://www.washblade.com/blog/index.cfm?blog_id=23284

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
BREAKING NEWS...
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:03 PM »
LUKE and NOAH actually consumate their year and a half soap opera relationship (off screen of course) bringing US daytime televison clearly into the 20th century.  ;D ;D

this might be news because the religous right is going to positively fulminate.

y'all might want to let P&G know they did good.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
HUH? haha........I've seen a few You Tube videos of those two, I'm talking last year, and they are JUST NOW consumating the realtionship? That's a long courtship and a LOTTA foreplay.... ::) ::).....IMHO......... ;D ;D.....

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »
Artist says he duped Czech government over bizarre EU sculpture showing Bulgaria as a toilet and leaving Britain out
By Kirsty Walker
Last updated at 9:18 AM on 14th January 2009

France on strike, Romania as a Dracula theme park and Britain entirely wiped off the face of Europe.

This is the image of European countries as portrayed in an official piece of artwork unveiled in Brussels today.

And the controversy surrounding it took another bizarre twist today when the Czech artist who created it admitted he had deceived the Czech government over its construction.

The massive work, which uses national stereotypes to depict EU nations, shows a map of individual countries attached to a blue tubular grid.

The art installation was commissioned by the Czech Republic, the current holders of the EU Presidency, and sits outside the European Council building in Brussels.

The work, entitled 'Entropa', was mean to be the joint work of artists representing each EU member country.

However in yet another bizarre twist today, the Czech artist who had the original idea -  David Cerny, famed for painting a Soviet tank pink - admitted today that he had duped the EU into thinking artists from each country had contributed.

The reality was, he admitted, that all of the sculptures had been done by himself and a friend.

Now Czech government is reviewing what to do with the work, due to be officially unveiled in Brussels tomorrow.

'An agreement of the office of the government with the artist clearly stated that this will be a common work of artists from 27 EU states,' Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra said.

'The full responsibility for violating this assignment and this promise lies with David Cerny,' he said in a statement.

While most of the images are highly unflattering, some countries have fared much worse than others.

France's map is emblazoned with the word GREVE! (French for strike) in red, a reference to its frequent industrial disputes, Romania is a Dracula theme park after its most famous fictional character and Sweden is a do-it-yourself IKEA furniture flatpack.

Controversially, Britain has been deliberately left off the map entirely in an apparent jibe at our euroscepticism.

Bulgaria is represented as the floor of a toilet, Lithuania features five men in army uniforms urinating on Russia and Greece is on fire - a reference to the violent riots that have blighted the country in recent weeks.

Austria is represented as a nuclear power station, Estonia is pictured with a hammer and sickle and Luxembourg is made of Nazi gold with a 'For Sale' sign sticking out of it.

The Netherlands is depicted as a sea with minarets rising from the waves, in an apparent reference to simmering religious tensions that culminated in the murder of Dutch film director and Islam critic Theo van Gogh by a Muslim militant in 2004.

Poland, one of Europe's most religious nations, has priests waving a rainbow flag - a symbol of pride for gay communities.

continues:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1114284/Artist-says-duped-Czech-government-bizarre-EU-sculpture-showing-Bulgaria-toilet-leaving-Britain-out.html