The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News & Current Events  (Read 1113893 times)

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
News & Current Events
« on: September 26, 2008, 02:50:41 PM »
A new thread for breaking news and current events.

Dave will launch discussion soon.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: News & Current Events
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:37:57 AM »
Yow. This is about as bad as it gets:

Sarajevo Queer Festival Attacked
Today at 2:44 PM

At least 10 people were injured -- six of whom required hospitalization -- when dozens of hooded, bearded men shouting "Kill the gays" and "Allahu akbar" ("God is great") attacked the opening of the first Sarajevo Queer Festival in Bosnia and Herzegovina on Sept. 24.

http://www.connexion.org/newsstory.cfm?id=13719&returnurl=index.cfm

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:54:32 AM »
Lewis invites Industry to fight Prop 8

Activist pledges to match $500,000 donation

By TED JOHNSON

Jonathan Lewis, entrepreneur and political activist and scion of the Cleveland-based Progressive Insurance fortune, said on Tuesday that he is pledging to chip in $500,000 to defeat Proposition 8 if the entertainment industry does the same.

Lewis said in a statement, "With Election Day six weeks away, we are concerned that the entertainment industry hasn't stepped up to the plate to fight this unnecessary initiative. We are pleased to see the leadership of Brad Pitt and Kate Capshaw and Steven Spielberg. Now it's time for the entertainment industry as a whole to take the lead. My family and I are issuing a $500,000 challenge to the entertainment industry.

Lewis said the match also applies to contributions to fight Florida's Proposition 2, an initiative similar to California's Proposition 8.

the unedited article with more info is here

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993142.html?categoryId=18&cs=1
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:57:41 AM »
Yow. This is about as bad as it gets:

Sarajevo Queer Festival Attacked
Today at 2:44 PM

At least 10 people were injured -- six of whom required hospitalization -- when dozens of hooded, bearded men shouting "Kill the gays" and "Allahu akbar" ("God is great") attacked the opening of the first Sarajevo Queer Festival in Bosnia and Herzegovina on Sept. 24.

http://www.connexion.org/newsstory.cfm?id=13719&returnurl=index.cfm

Its just sad to see this kind of hatred.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:59:45 AM »

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
i TRULY don't know where this belongs, but i hope someone shout it from the rooftops.

sorry canada, it would appear the USA hasn't got a monopoly on dangerous nut jobs...

Kill gays, candidate says

By ANGELA SCAPPATURA, Sun Media

Police are investigating whether an independent federal candidate committed a hate crime by telling high school students homosexuals should be executed.

David Popescu was invited to participate in a federal candidates' discussion at Sudbury Secondary School on Tuesday. He made the comment after a student asked his opinion of gay marriage.
MUCH MORE here...

http://www.torontosun.com/canadavotes/news/2008/10/01/6941241.html

and i think SOMEONE needs to have a word with this school's staff that chose to let this man continue.  exposing them to this, and allowing it to continue,  amounts to child abuse.
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »
Rosie gets her own varity show.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993209.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Somebody please define "skein" for me as appears in the above article:

" Earlier this year Fox cut a deal with Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, who are prepping a six-episode skein for later this season.

O’Donnell called the chance to host a primetime variety skein "a dream come true — old-time variety, live from New York, with a nod to Ed Sullivan, Carol Burnett and memories of Sonny and Cher." "

According to on line dictionaries, "skein" has to do with yarn and wild fowl.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:22:51 PM »
the entertainment industry has its own distinct and secret language. Variety magazine’s slanguage is infamous, in which “mitting” is applause, a “skein” is a TV series, an “oater” is a western, and, most confusing of all for a veteran Internet developer like me, the major TV networks are called “webs.”

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=slanguage_result&slang=skein

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 11:05:05 PM »
Wow, thanks. The only one I knew was "oater."
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 09:21:37 PM »
Jack, about the crazy guy speaking at the Sudbury high school, I just want to point out that he's described as a "perennial candidate" and the incident is under police investigation.  As far as the kids who were there goes, I can only hope that it leads to discussion and learning, rather than their absorbling this guy's  rantings.  I just googled him, and in 2003 he was found guilty of assaulting his mother, and under conditions of his probation was not allowed to be alone with her.

I worry, sometimes, about giving these guys publicity, which they seem to crave. But perhaps it's important to make sure they don't go unchecked. 

As for shouting from the rooftoops, one of the students has started, and has posted this on YouTube:  http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxiNVo34cI

If you listen to the whole thing, she's got an interesting take on life.....there's more of a discussion in the comments.

"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:15:38 AM »
If you check the Gay Marriage thread you will see that polls now indicate that the proposition to pass a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage is now ahead in California.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 07:01:47 AM »

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 10:19:27 AM »
Can I just tell you how proud I am to be from S.F.?

Protester in SF attempts to handcuff Karl Rove
Wed Oct 22, 12:11 am ET

SAN FRANCISCO – An anti-war protester confronted former Bush administration aide Karl Rove while he spoke at a San Francisco mortgage bankers' meeting.

A statement by the group Code Pink identified the woman as 58-year-old Janine Boneparth, who tried to handcuff Rove in what she called a citizen's arrest for "treason."

continues:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/rove_accosted;_ylt=AtmPP1EzcCAgyopwqZvsw4kDW7oF
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 06:24:05 PM »
 :o :o :o

Okay...this is why Sen. Obama can't get into office soon enough...I'd say it was unbelievable if it weren't all to believable...for those of you of a certain age does this remind anyone of Nixon and Cambodia?

Secret attacks on al-Qaeda reported
U.S. special-operations forces have raided various countries nearly a dozen times since '04.
By The New York Times

WASHINGTON — The U.S. military since 2004 has used broad secret authority to carry out nearly a dozen previously undisclosed attacks against al-Qaeda and other militants in Syria, Pakistan and elsewhere, according to senior U.S. officials.

These military raids, typically carried out by special-operations forces, were authorized by a classified order that Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld signed in the spring of 2004 at the direction of President Bush, the officials said. The secret order gave the military new authority to attack al-Qaeda anywhere in the world, and a more sweeping mandate to conduct operations in countries not at war with the United States.

In 2006, for example, a Navy Seal team raided a suspected militants compound in the Bajaur region of Pakistan, according to a former top official of the Central Intelligence Agency. Officials watched the entire mission — captured by the video camera of a remotely piloted Predator aircraft — in real time in the CIA's Counterterrorist Center at the agency's headquarters in Virginia 7,000 miles away.

Some of the military missions have been conducted in close coordination with the CIA, according to senior U.S. officials, who said that in others, like the special-operations raid in Syria on Oct. 26 of this year, the military commandos acted in support of CIA-directed operations, senior U.S. officials said.

continues:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_10943490?source=rss

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
:o :o :o

Okay...this is why Sen. Obama can't get into office soon enough...I'd say it was unbelievable if it weren't all to believable...for those of you of a certain age does this remind anyone of Nixon and Cambodia?

Yes it does remind me of Cambodia, but it doesn't surprise me.

I've never had any doubt that these types of operations were happening, and in fact I'd be shocked if they were not happeing.