The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News & Current Events  (Read 1118737 times)

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
Re: News & Current Events
« Reply #315 on: February 25, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
State senator: HIV babies are punishment for promiscuous moms

State Sen. Dave Schultheis restated his opposition to a bill requiring HIV tests for pregnant women by claiming that infected babies would cause families to “see the negative consequences of that promiscuity.”

The Colorado Springs Republican with a penchant for foot-in-mouth moments tells The Rocky Mountain News in a follow-up story to Wednesday’s Senate floor controversy:

What I’m hoping is that, yes, that person may have AIDS, have it seriously as a baby and when they grow up, but the mother will begin to feel guilt as a result of that,” he said. “The family will see the negative consequences of that promiscuity and it may make a number of people over the coming years begin to realize that there are negative consequences and maybe they should adjust their behavior.”

Yes, Schultheis really said he is “hoping” people “have AIDS, have it seriously as a baby …”

http://coloradoindependent.com/22746/state-senator-hiv-babies-are-punishment-for-promiscous-moms

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #316 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »
Bigoted Catholic Bishop Attacks Diversity on Campus

We're dedicating the entire 50 spot today to Pennsylvania, where Scranton Bishop Joseph Martino has called for Misericordia University's Diversity Institute to close because they hosted an openly gay man to campus.  Ah, censorship and hate and its finest lowest.

The controversy swirls around a February 17 event held on Misericordia's campus with openly gay author/blogger Keith Boykin (he runs this blog, over here).  Bishop Martino released a statement prior to the event chastising the Diversity Institute for inviting Boykin, and just this week demanded that Misericordia administrators show proof that they are teaching students about the evils of homosexuality.

"Students attending a Catholic institution should have a clear understanding that while all persons should be treated with dignity, homosexual activity is not condoned by the Church and should never be construed as acceptable behavior," the bishop said in his statement.

I'd love to hear what this Bishop's definition of dignity is.  For their part, Misericordia University students have blasted the Bishop as totally out of touch with the 21st century, peddling more James Dobson than Jesus Christ.  Student Ebony Amora, president of the Diversity Club on the campus, told the Scranton Times Tribune that Bishop Martino should be ashamed.

"Frankly, he should be ashamed of himself that because a gay African-American came and spoke at Misericordia University, he wants to shut down the Diversity Institute," said Amora.

Another student, junior George Pierce said that part of Misericordia's mission is to welcome people of all backgrounds in an open, academic setting.

"I don’t think that because it’s coming from the bishop we’re going to just roll over and accept it,"

http://gayrights.change.org/blog/view/the_50_spot_bigoted_catholic_bishop_attacks_diversity_on_campus

Offline Rosewood

• Obsessed
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
Didn't know where to put this since Film and Theater did not actually
have a spot. But wanted to share this very well written article on Rupert Everett
that appeared in the NY Times Magazine.

I mean, I love the guy. (Most especially in MY BEST FRIEND'S WEDDING and AN IDEAL HUSBAND).
But who doesn't?

Alex Bechtel, the writer who handles this terrific bio-piece is as finely tuned to his subject
as any interviewer/writer I've ever read. Not only that, but the man can write AND analyze,
seemingly on the fly.

Everett has some truly interesting insights into showbusiness, acting, and last but not least,
being gay.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/magazine/22everett-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

"Tut, tut, child," said the Duchess.
"Everything's got a moral if only you can find it."
                                                  Lewis Carroll

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
State senator: HIV babies are punishment for promiscuous moms

This is disgusting John.  Not to mention, probably inaccurate at least half the time.  What about those promiscuous fathers?  In Africa the incidence of HIV in children is directly related to truck drivers going to prostitutes and then coming home to their wives.

However, this guy is a nutjob.  In a big way.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
Cash-Strapped Chronicle On Brink Of Sale Or Closure

SAN FRANCISCO -- There are concerns the San Francisco Chronicle may not
survive the current recession after a Tuesday announcement by the Hearst
Corporation that losses could force the paper to be sold or shut down.

Hearst told Chronicle staff Tuesday that the paper is showing "staggering
losses." Hearst says it needs to lay off people in all departments of the
newspaper.

If the cuts don't stop the bleeding, Hearst said the Chronicle will be sold or
shut down.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/18787164/detail.html

This is so bad.  The newspaper business was already in trouble because of
the internet among other things, but it seems like it might go extinct.  This would
be such a horrible shame.

Here are some headlines just from the past two days!

The Plans To Take Seattle Post-Intelligencer To Online-Only

The Rocky Mountain News, 150, Will Be Gone Friday

Financial Times Offers Staff 3-Day Workweek Over Summer

Bankrupt Minneapolis Star-Trib Wants To Void Contracts

Gannett's Tucson Citizen To Close After 138 Years

Already slashed  L.A. Times Merges Arts And Entertainment In Hope Of
Harvesting More H'wd News

Hartford Courant Cuts 100 Jobs; News Staff Halved Since Start Of 2008

San Antonio Express-News Tosses 135 Into The Bushes

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
This is so bad.  The newspaper business was already in trouble because of
the internet among other things, but it seems like it might go extinct.  This would
be such a horrible shame.

Yes, it is!  When I look back at the various things I've posted here from the Chronicle I realize what a loss it will be if it goes out of business.

I have friends who have already lost jobs in this industry.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
So, now what do we do? Jewish Leaders upset with Obama and Clinton. All I see is that She isn't pandering to them. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/26/jewish-leaders-blast-clin_n_170411.html

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2009, 12:33:34 PM »
Record stores appear to be a dying breed - much like independent bookstores (see Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop).  We lost Tower Records a year or two ago - now Virgin seems to be following suit in San Francisco.

The sad thing for me is that I like browsing in both record and bookstores - it is just not the same experience to do this online.  And I think that the closing of these sorts of places eliminates another of the 'public square' kind of places that people can gather in, feel safe and have a good time.

Goodbye Virgin, I'll miss you.

Virgin Megastore in S.F. will liquidate
Victoria Colliver, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, February 27, 2009

The Virgin Megastore in San Francisco will shut its doors in late April, adding a large vacancy at Stockton and Market streets to a growing number of empty storefronts around Union Square, the retail heart of the city.

The music and video retailer, which opened its estimated 45,000-square-foot store 14 years ago, will start liquidation sales sometime next month, company officials confirmed Thursday.

Union Square is still considered one of the country's most vibrant shopping districts and a destination for international tourists. But one of the worst holiday shopping seasons in recent memory, low consumer confidence and an overall dismal economic scene have made retail among the hardest-hit sectors of the economy.

continues:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/27/MNE2165P0A.DTL&type=business

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »
Wow the Governor of Louisiana (Bobby Jihad) made up his story about his heroic action during Hurricane Katrina. Imagine that!!!

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/02/jindal_admits_katrina_story_was_false.php
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:00:48 PM by brokebacktom »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »
We lost Tower Records a year or two ago - now Virgin seems to be following suit in San Francisco.

The sad thing for me is that I like browsing in both record and bookstores - it is just not the same experience to do this online.  And I think that the closing of these sorts of places eliminates another of the 'public square' kind of places that people can gather in, feel safe and have a good time.

I second that MIchael.  The look and feel of selections. Is absolutely
not the same as online. 

The thing about Virgin, as I worked for them, the company that took
over the Virgin Megastores a year ago last October, was a real-estate
company.  It was rumored they wanted some of the properties that
Virgin owned, specifically the Times Square and Union Square (NY)
properties. I don't know if they owned the property in San Francisco's
Union Square.  No matter what they say, I do not think all of the Virgin
Stores that are going out of business are losing money.  I think  that
this real-estate company is using the economy as an excuse to
close the stores.  Because they simply aren't interested in them.

It's like when the Anheuser-Busch company also owned the company
that produced EAGLE brand snacks, like potato chips etc., in the 90's.
A company took over Anheuser-Busch and they were simply not interested
in the snack part of the business (which was hugely successful) and they
simply shut it down.  They didn't even try to sell it.

Same with this company, no matter what they officially say, is my opinion.
The first year they owned Virgin Megastores they closed every store in
every city but one that did not own the property they were located in.  (But
I am not sure about the S.F. property.)

And people readily believe all these places are going out of business
because everyone is strictly buying online.  I can tell you for a fact that
the one I was located in was making a nice profit.

If you go in to the S.F. Virgin before it closes, tell D.J. Dave that Lyle says
hello!  He got to transfer up there after the West Hollywood location
closed!  Maybe he has some inside info or something...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #325 on: February 27, 2009, 03:45:17 PM »
Wow the Governor of Louisiana (Bobby Jihad) made up his story about his heroic action during Hurricane Katrina. Imagine that!!!
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/02/jindal_admits_katrina_story_was_false.php

Bobby Jihad--lol!
Governor Slumdog maybe, too.

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #326 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
Record stores appear to be a dying breed - much like independent bookstores (see Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop).  We lost Tower Records a year or two ago - now Virgin seems to be following suit in San Francisco.

Goodbye Virgin, I'll miss you.

Virgin Megastore in S.F. will liquidate
Victoria Colliver, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, February 27, 2009

The Virgin Megastore in San Francisco will shut its doors in late April, adding a large vacancy at Stockton and Market streets to a growing number of empty storefronts around Union Square, the retail heart of the city.

The music and video retailer, which opened its estimated 45,000-square-foot store 14 years ago, will start liquidation sales sometime next month, company officials confirmed Thursday.

Union Square is still considered one of the country's most vibrant shopping districts and a destination for international tourists. But one of the worst holiday shopping seasons in recent memory, low consumer confidence and an overall dismal economic scene have made retail among the hardest-hit sectors of the economy.

continues:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/27/MNE2165P0A.DTL&type=business

Michael I think this is a fascinating point...

I have wondered for a couple of years whether the 'High Street' will die in the near future... Traditionally in the UK High Streets in the centre of towns and cities (mostly) were the buzz: shops, restaurants and pubs! A lot of shopping is moving to the more American style malls and retail parks on the edge of towns and cities, and then with online shopping it damages the High Street further... Not sure if you still have Woolworths in the USA but it went bust in December in the UK - A true victim of the demise of the High Street.

I must admit my browsing of record shops has become browsing new music on My Space, and my shopping has more or less become itunes, or if not available Amazon.   
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #327 on: February 27, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Iraq's queer underground railroad

A secret network of safe houses and escape routes is saving gay Iraqis from execution by Islamist death squads

Peter Tatchell guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 February 2009 21.30 GM

In the bad old days of slavery in the United States, there was the "Underground Railroad" – a clandestine network of secret routes and safe houses – which spirited thousands of southern slaves to freedom in the north.

Today, 200 years later in Iraq, a modern version of the underground railroad is saving the lives of gay people who are fleeing Islamist death squads. It is providing safe houses in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities, and is smuggling lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people to neighbouring countries, where it helps them apply for United Nations humanitarian protection. This secret network, coordinated by Iraqi LGBT exiles in London, is saving dozens of lives.

Since the fall of Saddam Hussein, homophobia and the terrorisation of LGBT people has got much worse. The western invasion of Iraq in 2003 ended the tyrannical Baathist dictatorship. But it also destroyed a secular state, created chaos and lawlessness and allowed the flourishing of religious fundamentalism. The result has been an Islamist-inspired homophobic terror campaign against LGBT Iraqis.

You can watch two short videos, which show the terror of queer life in "democratic" Iraq here and here.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/feb/25/iraq-gay-rights

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #328 on: February 27, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
Federal Imprisonment For Christians Is Right Around The Corner!

According to the title of the latest missive from the Christian Anti-Defamation Commission, if a federal hate crimes bill passes, "Federal Imprisonment For Christians Is Right Around The Corner" :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why should you be fuming and taking action before you even finish reading this? Because these two bills that are going to be sent to President Barack Obama's desk will silence Christians from speaking against homosexuality or teaching our children that it is wrong. You would quite literally be committing a Federal crime and convicted. If these bills get passed, not only will Christians be silenced -- but, the government is scheduled to swoop in with $10 Million dollars to drive a stake right into the heart of Christians by making sure your children hear and are taught everything against Judeo-Christian beliefs.

The two bills that I am talking about are the David Ray Ritcheson Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 (H.R. 262) coupled with the David Ray Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009 (H.R. 256). These two bills were just introduced by Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee and are expected to be signed by President Barack Obama who has supported this legislation at the state level in the past. These two bills CANNOT get to President Obama's desk! No way Christians! You must act now if you want to continue practicing your Christian faith and teaching it to your children.
Sign the petition against Hate Crimes Legislation!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what the H.R. 262 actually says. See anything about imprisoning Christians in there?

Here's what H.R. 256 actually says. See anything about imprisoning Christians in there?

Lying makes the baby Jeebus cry.

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2009/02/zomg1-federal-imprisonment-for.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #329 on: February 27, 2009, 11:44:35 PM »
Church-state watchdog greets Dobson resignation from Focus with a shrug

Focus on the Family figurehead James Dobson’s resignation as chairman of the evangelical empire he founded is “unlikely to make much of a difference” in the conservative organization’s operations, the executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State said Friday. “Focus on the Family is merely rearranging the deck chairs on its big, intolerant ship,” the Rev. Barry W. Lynn said in a statement.

Dobson, 72, announced Friday morning he planned to step aside as Focus on the Family chairman but would continue as host of the Christian ministry’s popular radio program and continue to “speak out on moral issues,” a Focus spokesman said.

That’s not enough to suit Lynn, whose watchdog group regularly takes on religious figures who step into politics — and politicians who invoke religion while governing.

“Despite my differences with him, if Dobson were truly retiring, I would wish him well,” Lynn said. “But I know that Dobson and so many other leaders of the Religious Right intend to remain active, working to force their exclusionary worldview onto the rest of us.”

The Colorado Springs-based ministry has run into financial difficulty lately, laying off 20 percent of its employees last fall because of revenue shortfalls, shortly after pouring more than $750,000 into California’s Proposition 8 campaign to overturn gay marriage.