The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News & Current Events  (Read 1118568 times)

Offline WhenPigsFly

• Expert
Re: News & Current Events
« Reply #705 on: April 29, 2009, 09:53:17 PM »
A Virginia rep called Mathew Shepard's Death a Hoax.

"I also would like to point out that there was a bill -- the hate crimes bill that's called the Matthew Shepard bill is named after a very unfortunate incident that happened where a young man was killed, but we know that that young man was killed in the commitment of a robbery. It wasn't because he was gay. This -- the bill was named for him, hate crimes bill was named for him, but it's really a hoax that that continues to be used as an excuse for passing these bills," said Foxx.

It's been reported that Judy Shepard was in the House gallery when that insensitive statement was made.   

Keith Olbermann was visibly disgusted by Foxx and made her today's Worst Person in the World.

...somehow, as a coat hanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved...

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #706 on: April 30, 2009, 05:15:52 AM »
I was saying last week how part of me wishes life could like FRIENDS or THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

I remember a time when I wasn't socializing with any gay people, and feeling out of place, even among my friends.  I became completely obsessed with the show Beverly Hills, 90210, and would watch every show.

Thankfully, after 5 seasons, I moved on to real life.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #707 on: April 30, 2009, 12:23:50 PM »
I was saying last week how part of me wishes life could like FRIENDS or THE GOLDEN GIRLS.

I remember a time when I wasn't socializing with any gay people, and feeling out of place, even among my friends.  I became completely obsessed with the show Beverly Hills, 90210, and would watch every show.

Thankfully, after 5 seasons, I moved on to real life.

Well you always have reminded me a little of Brenda...(and Mark of Rose....)

The very first fandom I got involved with was for Dark Shadows, the TV show.  I went to two of the conventions (I even have the Vlad Dracula t-shirt to prove it).  It's very interesting, but (much like the Civil War reenacters I referred to before) I don't think I could maintain that level of interest for a prolonged time.

I also thought it was interesting that the article about this referred to the Jane Austen fanatics - I recall that a few years ago there was a huge fuss about whether or not a director had changed the ending of a Jane Austen novel for film.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #708 on: April 30, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
'Top Gun' Star Kelly McGillis Confirms Lesbian Rumors

Tom Cruise's girlfriend in the 1980s hit "Top Gun" confirmed in an interview the longstanding rumor that she's gay.

Kelly McGillis told the Internet show Girl Rock! that she was single, and in the market for a female partner.

"Definitely a woman," she said when asked if she's looking for a man or a woman. "I'm done with the man thing. You need to move on in life."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518463,00.html

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #709 on: April 30, 2009, 03:03:06 PM »
Poll: Americans love France, San Francisco, Europe, and NYC

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/4/13/719435/-Poll:-Americans-love-France,-San-Francisco,-Europe,-and-NYC

FAVUNFAVNO OPINION
ALL65%24%11%
MEN63%28%9%
WOMEN67%20%13%
DEM71%21%8%
REP58%32%10%
IND64%23%13%
OTH/REF61%26%13%
NON VOTERS66%20%14%
WHITE64%25%11%
BLACK68%22%10%
LATINO66%23%11%
OTHER/REF67%20%13%
18-2969%20%11%
30-4463%26%11%
45-5966%22%12%
60+62%27%11%
NORTHEAST72%16%12%
SOUTH48%42%10%
MIDWEST70%19%11%
WEST75%14%11%

Check it out, this is fascinating stuff. Everyone likes San Francisco. Even Republicans (58-32). In fact, there is only one demographic that radically differs from all the rest -- Southerners. I bet that If we could take out Southern Republicans from this sample, Republicans in the rest of the country look like everyone else.
This is all significant for a reason I'll state further below. For now, let's look at three other conservative geographic boogeymen: New York, France, and Europe. (Full crosstabs at the link above.)

Republicans have solidly favorable ratings (as do every other demographic tested), but head down South, and it's a whole different world, dramatically out of step with the rest of America.

What's this mean? It means that all that France and Europe demonizing, and all that talk of "San Francisco liberals" and "San Francisco values", and all that New York bashing (like Rush leaving Manhattan), plays to a very small core of people, and specifically to the conservative's Southern base.

This is clear evidence that the GOP has become a rump regional party. Because everyone else in America is just scratching their head at all that hatred directed at these places. They like San Francisco a lot. They love France. They think Europe is fantastic. And not even the New York Yankees can get people to hate on the Big Apple. And the more the Rushes and Becks bash those places, the more out of step with the Real America conservatives appear.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #710 on: April 30, 2009, 04:40:41 PM »
This is clear evidence that the GOP has become a rump regional party.

Ah!  Well that explains Jeff Gannon and Tom Foley.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #711 on: April 30, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
WHOO HOOO!!!!!!

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Souter to retire: reports
18 mins ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Souter plans to retire, U.S. media reported on Thursday, a development that would give President Barack Obama his first chance to make an appointment to the court.

continues:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090501/ts_nm/us_usa_court_souter_1

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #712 on: May 01, 2009, 02:44:22 AM »
This is clear evidence that the GOP has become a rump regional party.

Ah!  Well that explains Jeff Gannon and Tom Foley.
*snicker*  :D

(and the mind boggles at all the names that cold be added to that list)
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #713 on: May 01, 2009, 02:59:12 AM »
i'm not sure how i feel about any resignations from the court, at least until scalia, alito, thomas, or roberts takes a hike...or has an "accident".   

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #714 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:57 AM »
Rachel Maddow Interviews Matthew Shepard's Mother Judy Shepard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPR2Uyak80

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #715 on: May 01, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »
i'm not sure how i feel about any resignations from the court, at least until scalia, alito, thomas, or roberts takes a hike...or has an "accident".   

I agree with you. I wish it was Scalia or Thomas was resigning.

Offline WhenPigsFly

• Expert
« Reply #716 on: May 01, 2009, 10:32:55 AM »
Rachel Maddow Interviews Matthew Shepard's Mother Judy Shepard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCPR2Uyak80

Despite the victory, she looked and sounded SO tired (not physically, just emotionally used up).  I thought it was a very sad interview.

And Keith made Rep Foxx his Worst Person of the World again yesterday because of her CYA meaningless apology:  "IF I offended [Matthew's] family..."
...somehow, as a coat hanger is straightened to open a locked car and then bent again to its original shape, they torqued things almost to where they had been, for what they'd said was no news.  Nothing ended, nothing begun, nothing resolved...

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #717 on: May 01, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »
I guess Fath Goers favor torture.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/04/30/religion.torture/

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #718 on: May 01, 2009, 12:39:52 PM »

I agree with you. I wish it was Scalia or Thomas was resigning.

Well yeah Jack and Tom.  But sadly we don't always get what we wish for.  However, for my money, ANY Supreme Court replacement that Pres. Obama gets to do is one that George Bush (or anyone following Pres. Obama) didn't get to do.

I would hope for an epidemic of H1N1 among the right of the justices, but I don't think that does much good.  I was holding on with screeching nails for the Pres. to get in on Jan. 20th, because I was convinced that Stevens (or Ginsburg) would be the first to leave the court.  And maybe if this goes well they will be tempted to leave.  Every justice that Pres. Obama replaces is a good thing as far as I'm concerned - as they serve for so long that his impact will go on long past his administration.

And this is shortly after his first 100 days!

Good news, at least to me - although I certainly understand the position that Jack and Tom share.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #719 on: May 01, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »
well, i certainly give souter credit for sticking it out until obama came in to preserve such balance as there was.  and i also take heart that, properly chosen, ie young, the new "balance" will last for a while.  i fully expect ginsburg to leave during obama's tenure, and stevens is rapidly approaching 90, which is old even for scotus.  i am a little worried about a possible "moderate" appointee that might temporize on gay rights issues.  if i want to tease myself a little, i wonder if he would have the stones to nominate a *gasp* gay candidate.  i could forgive a world of slights to see a gay man or lesbian on the supreme court