The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Milk - The Movie  (Read 120113 times)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Milk - The Movie
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2008, 12:05:44 AM »
Why are there no openly gay leading men in Hollywood?

Gus Van Sant's "Milk" isn't just a mainstream-minded Oscar candidate;
it's also a rallying cry.

With Sean Penn starring as Harvey Milk, the openly gay San Francisco supervisor
who was gunned down along with Mayor George Moscone in 1978, the movie
(which opens Wednesday) makes its message clear:
Gay people must be "out" to be counted.

This theme is particularly timely given California's passage of anti-gay-marriage
Proposition 8 this month, but there's also a certain irony:  Here's a broadly
targeted movie with marquee actors, yet not only is none of the featured players
openly gay, but there isn't one openly gay leading man in all of Hollywood.

Bibby has written a number of much-speculated-about blind items about a
closeted actor dubbed Toothy Tile, who he reported was close to going public
with his sexuality until his agents and publicists persuaded him not to—a
situation far from unique.  "Toothy Tile is a big star, but Toothy Tile wants to
remain a big star, and that's the problem," said Bibby, who is gay himself.
"Hollywood is a very creative community, and the creative arts have always
been totally homo filled. But it's first and foremost a business. We've got to
sell the product out to the masses in the rest of the country where it's not
so gay filled."

The question is whether the industry's and actors' fears are justified or
whether a megastar's coming out might not be such a big deal after all.

More here:
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_popmachine/2008/11/gus-van-sants-m.html

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2008, 01:34:44 AM »
Feinstein recalls S.F.'s 'day of infamy'
Rachel Gordon, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, November 26, 2008

(11-25) 22:11 PST San Francisco -- Thirty years after the assassinations of Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk in San Francisco City Hall, Dianne Feinstein still wonders whether she could have stopped the killings.

At the time, Feinstein was president of the Board of Supervisors and a confidante of Dan White, the ex-supervisor who quit his seat only to want it back. Moscone had plans to appoint someone else and told Feinstein the morning of the slayings. She tried to track down White to explain the decision. She never got the chance.

She was sitting at her desk at City Hall and tried speaking to White as he walked by. She did not know that he had just shot and killed the mayor.

"I saw him come in. I said, 'Dan, can I talk to you?' And he went by, and I heard the door close, and I heard the shots and smelled the cordite, and I came out of my office. Dan went right by me. Nobody was around, every door was closed.

"I went down the hall. I opened the wrong door. I opened (Milk's) door. I found Harvey on his stomach. I tried to get a pulse and put my finger through a bullet hole. He was clearly dead.

"I remember it, actually, as if it was yesterday. And it was one of the hardest moments, if not the hardest moment, of my life," Feinstein said Tuesday. "It was a devastating moment. For San Francisco, it was a day of infamy."

Feinstein, who replaced Moscone as mayor and went on to win two terms in her own right, now is California's senior senator. She rarely has spoken publicly about the slayings. But she sat down for an hour with reporters in her San Francisco office Tuesday to recount the devastating events of Nov. 27, 1978, that shook San Francisco to the core.

continues:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/25/MNM514C75R.DTL
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2008, 02:49:00 AM »
There seems to be some confusion about who was or was not the first gay person elected, etc.

The first openly gay man to run for public office was Jose Saria - who ran in San Francisco in 1961.

The first lesbian and gay man to hold public office in the U.S. were Nancy Wechsler and Jerry DeGrieck - who were on the Ann Arbor City Council.  They did not come out until they were in office (in 1973).

The first out gay person to run for office and win was Kathy Kozachenko of Ann Arbor, who ran for City Council and won in January, 1974.

The first out gay person to run for a statewide office and win was Elaine Noble, who ran for the State House in Massachusetts and won in November, 1974.

The first gay man to hold statewide office was Allan Spear - he was elected in 1972 and came out in 1974 in Minnesota.

Harvey Milk was the first openly gay man to run for office and be elected in 1977.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2008, 07:09:58 AM »
The NYTimes review is also glowing:

Freedom Fighter in Life Becomes Potent Symbol in Death

“Milk,” which is the best live-action mainstream American movie that I have seen this year....
“Milk” is accessible and instructive, an astute chronicle of big-city politics and the portrait of a warrior whose passion was equaled by his generosity and good humor.

Mr. Penn, an actor of unmatched emotional intensity and physical discipline, outdoes himself here, playing a character different from any he has portrayed before. This is less a matter of sexuality — there is no longer much novelty in a straight actor’s “playing gay” — than of temperament.

Many more compliments follow.

Offline ChrisW

• Ma Untwist
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »
Will Sean Penn’s ‘Milk’ Be The Next ‘Brokeback Mountain’?

They’re not using “Got Milk?” as their official campaign, but the filmmakers behind the story of Harvey Milk are hoping that’s a slogan the rest of us abide by.

“If every single person who bought a ticket to ‘Brokeback Mountain’ bought a ticket to ‘Milk,’ we’d be very happy producers,” laughed producer Bruce Cohen when we caught up with him at the Out 100 New York gala, where the director, writer, producers, and cast of the film were being honored for filming the tale of the man who was California’s first openly gay elected official (only to be later assassinated).

“Gus Van Sant goes back and forth between things like ‘To Die For’ and ‘Good Will Hunting’ to his more experimental fare, and this is a combination,” Cohen said. “It’s not mainstream subject matter, it’s way out there on the edge, but we’re hoping it appeals to a larger audience.”

Cohen thinks that since “Brokeback Mountain” broke down the wall between gay and straight audiences, “Milk” has a stronger chance, especially given its Oscar buzz for Sean Penn’s performance. “Sean really became Harvey Milk,” he said. “He got so into the history and the research. A lot of people who knew Harvey got wide-eyed looks in their eyes when they saw Sean’s performance. They thought Harvey was back among us.”

Plus the political timing couldn’t be better, Cohen said. “We’re hoping that with the presidential election and all the gay initiatives around the country, especially Prop. 8 in California, that people will be interested in a political movie right now,” Cohen said. “It’s not a documentary, but a lot of real-life people were advisors on the film, and we tried to be as accurate as possible.”

Gay politics aren’t usually subjects that studios lightly green-light, Cohen said, but “Milk” was relatively easy to push through the Hollywood system (unlike, say, his other project, a Jennifer Garner resurrection drama called “Be With You” that he said probably won’t ever get made). But with “Milk,” he said, “it was a sigh of relief. Gus loved the script, and Sean Penn was our first choice, so as soon as Sean was on board, we started filming. ‘Milk’ didn’t have to get sour on the development shelf. It was just the right time for this story to get told.”

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/25/will-sean-penns-milk-be-next-brokeback-mountain/

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:11 PM »
The NYTimes review is also glowing:
“Milk,” which is the best live-action mainstream American movie that I have seen this year....

Off subject, but this quote is SO true and interesting that he wrote it and that it
might slip by most people's radar--the best live-action film etc.  Because
the animated films of this year have been the best and most satisfying films
released this year.

Horton Hears a Who
Kung Fu Panda
Bolt
Madagascar 2
Wall*E

You may scoff at that notion, but really--I had absolutely NO desire to see at
least THREE of these films and I was won over by all of them.  They are all
quite good.  In fact, WALL*E should be nominated for Best Picture--it is that
wonderful--and should be seen in a theatre, I'm not talking about home
viewing.

Sorry, I noticed that in the review and had to comment!

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
Something that popped into my head in the early hours of the morning.

Civil Rights leaders--Martin Luther King, Harvey Milk

MLK,  MiLK

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2008, 04:06:13 PM »
And what about me and MY initials?

MRK   MRK  MRK

Mark

Looking forward to seeing MILK THE MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVIE!

Offline richchan

• Expert
  • In the sun that is young once only
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
I just saw Milk at the Castro this afternoon and it's every bit as good as the reviews posted here. It really gives you a feel for the period and Sean Penn's performance was magnificent. The parallels to all the unrest over Prop. 8 are poignant, too! I watched the filming in the Castro earlier this year and know a couple of business owners whose space they used. The way they interspersed period footage and this year's filming was so smooth that if you weren't here, you wouldn't even see the difference!

The Dan White portrayal by Josh Brolin shows his vulnerability and even suggests that he was a severely repressed closet case.

I'd recommend it to anyone!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:01:31 PM by richchan »
I sang in my chains like the sea

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
Thanks for the review Rich!  I'm planning on seeing it after Thanksgiving and the Castro seems the perfect place to see it.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »
^^^  That's the first bad review I've read.  People I know who knew Harvey think Penn did a great job.  Figures that it would be the Washington Times.

Even though the review itself is a bit odd he gives it *** out of ****
so it's not considered a bad review, I guess.

The Times is still too Moonie for me.

Milk has opened here, but only at two theaters, one in DC and the other in MD. We'll have to wait till it comes to one closer to us, preferably in Arlington or Tysons Corner.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:17 PM »
The Times is still too Moonie for me.

What does "Moonie" mean?

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »
The Times was started by members of the Unification Church, founded by Sun Myung Moon. Though there is no official connection between the church and the paper, articles which have been critical of the church have been suppressed in the paper, and staff have been fired because of their less than adoring attitude toward Moon or the church.

But the paper has a following, because of their editorial position, which carries over into their news articles. Sort of like a newspaper equivalent of Fox News Channel, which of course it predates by many years.

I can recall purchasing the paper only one time, because it had better coverage of the Marine Corps Marathon one year when Earl ran in it than did the Post.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline retropian

• Experienced
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »
Thanks so much for putting all this together. One stop shopping! I saw the film opening night. Liked it very much. It's been on my mind since then. Not the same way BBM haunted me, but still it affected me in a good way.

Offline pattieono

• Expert
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
   Saw it today....Bravo!!   It is definetly NOT this year's "Brokeback" (as i've heard again people saying "the gay movie")  It was about standing up, about these are our teachers, brothers, neighbors.  About we are all citizens and entitled to equality..............I'm definetly getting the dvd when it comes out, and who knows?, maybe it'lll come out as double package with "The Times of HM" as an extra.
  I cannot wait to see Penn getting all political with the academy when collecting the Oscar next Feb.!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:33:48 PM by pattieono »