The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Mayor of Castro Street  (Read 167051 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: The Mayor of Castro Street
« Reply #855 on: August 12, 2009, 01:31:15 PM »
Harvey Milk: What His Presidential Medal of Freedom Means to All Americans

When Stuart Milk stands before the president and the country to accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom on behalf of his late, slain uncle Harvey Milk, it'll be a moment of incredible pride for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community (LGBT).

Yet this is a moment that will transcend identity politics because Harvey Milk represents the aspirations of all Americans. More than 200 years ago Washington, Jefferson and Adams fought to create a more perfect union. They probably had no idea that their vision would be embodied in the late 20th century by a gay, Jewish camera shop owner in San Francisco.

Milk's story, as recounted in last year's Academy Award-winning movie Milk and books such as The Mayor of Castro Street, involves his struggle to become one of the first openly elected gay public officials in the U.S. His political ambitions coincided with the rising gay rights movement and resulted in him winning a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

Simultaneous to his election, another candidate named Dan White won a seat on the board. In 1978, White resigned his seat only to later want it back. He became frustrated that the appointment wasn't going to happen, went to City Hall, and murdered Milk in cold blood along with Mayor George Moscone.

Milk's murder could have had a chilling effect on the then burgeoning gay rights movement. Many forces were already actively at work to put gays back in the closest including crusader Anita Bryant. Instead it's a testament to American idealism that in the 30 years since Milk's assassination, we have continued to appreciate and honor his political work.

In fact, there are now more than 440 openly LGBT public officials in our country who serve in states as diverse as Alabama, Idaho and Kentucky. That's real progress, but even that number seems small when you realize there are more than one half million elected offices in the U.S.

continues:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chuck-wolfe/harvey-milk-what-his-pres_b_256710.html
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #856 on: August 12, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »
The announcement of the presentation of the Presidential Medal of Honor to Harvey Milk read by a military aide at the award ceremony:

"Stuart Milk accepting on behalf of his uncle Harvey Bernard Milk.  Harvey Bernard Milk dedicated his life to shattering boundaries and challenging assumptions.  As one of the first openly gay elected officals in the country he changed the landscape of opportunity for the nation's gay community.  Throughout his life he fought discrimination with visionary courage and conviction.  Before his tragic death in 1978 he wisely noted 'hope will never be silent' and called upon Americans to stay true to the guiding principles of equality and justice for all.  Harvey Milk's voice will forever echo in the hearts of all those who carry forward his timeless message."

August 12, 2009
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #857 on: August 12, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »
This is wonderful news.  Thanks for posting it, Michael.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #858 on: August 12, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
I saw this reported on the News Hour -- great news!
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #859 on: August 14, 2009, 09:27:04 PM »
And some not so great news....

Milk trolley hit with graffiti
by Matthew S. Bajko
Published 08/13/2009
Bay Area Reporter

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency pulled out of service this week a trolley car dedicated to Harvey Milk, the city's first openly gay elected official, due to anti-gay graffiti someone tagged on placards inside the historic vehicle sometime in late June.

Muni officials did not learn of the homophobic graffiti, however, until this week. The news came just days prior to President Barack Obama posthumously awarding Milk the Presidential Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony Wednesday, August 12.

Following calls by the Bay Area Reporter inquiring about the graffiti, Muni officials removed trolley car #1051 from the F-line late in the afternoon of Monday, August 10. Transportation officials said they had ordered the car to return to a storage yard so it could be inspected.

"It is disturbing to see that the panels had the slurs for some time without us removing it. We will do what we can to see what happened to try to make sure it doesn't happen again," said Judson True, spokesman for the SFMTA. "Especially in this historic week we want to be sure to honor Milk's legacy on this streetcar so we will do everything we can to remove any graffiti and get the dedication panels back in place as quickly as possible."

Tom Nolan, the transit agency's openly gay chairman, called Muni executives as soon as he learned about the graffiti from the B.A.R. He said he finds it concerning that no one reported the homophobic graffiti and that it was allowed to remain in public view for the last six weeks.

continues:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=4125

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #860 on: August 15, 2009, 05:54:56 AM »
Harvey Milk: What His Presidential Medal of Freedom Means to All Americans

When Stuart Milk stands before the president and the country to accept the Presidential Medal of Freedom on behalf of his late, slain uncle Harvey Milk, it'll be a moment of incredible pride for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community (LGBT).

Yet this is a moment that will transcend identity politics because Harvey Milk represents the aspirations of all Americans. More than 200 years ago Washington, Jefferson and Adams fought to create a more perfect union. They probably had no idea that their vision would be embodied in the late 20th century by a gay, Jewish camera shop owner in San Francisco.

Milk's story, as recounted in last year's Academy Award-winning movie Milk and books such as The Mayor of Castro Street, involves his struggle to become one of the first openly elected gay public officials in the U.S. His political ambitions coincided with the rising gay rights movement and resulted in him winning a seat on the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

Simultaneous to his election, another candidate named Dan White won a seat on the board. In 1978, White resigned his seat only to later want it back. He became frustrated that the appointment wasn't going to happen, went to City Hall, and murdered Milk in cold blood along with Mayor George Moscone.

Milk's murder could have had a chilling effect on the then burgeoning gay rights movement. Many forces were already actively at work to put gays back in the closest including crusader Anita Bryant. Instead it's a testament to American idealism that in the 30 years since Milk's assassination, we have continued to appreciate and honor his political work.

In fact, there are now more than 440 openly LGBT public officials in our country who serve in states as diverse as Alabama, Idaho and Kentucky. That's real progress, but even that number seems small when you realize there are more than one half million elected offices in the U.S.

continues:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chuck-wolfe/harvey-milk-what-his-pres_b_256710.html

Does anyone have a film or photograph of this wonderful moment?
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #861 on: August 15, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #862 on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »
Thank you so much Michael. I searched Google news and images and couldn't find any.

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
  • There are places we can't return
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #863 on: August 15, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
Thank you so much Michael. I searched Google news and images and couldn't find any.

A youtube link too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQJhfmaHf1Y
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything
you believe about yourself"

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #864 on: August 16, 2009, 09:21:01 AM »
Thank you LovelyAm. This just gets better and better! :-*

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
  • There are places we can't return
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #865 on: August 16, 2009, 09:36:34 AM »
Thank you LovelyAm. This just gets better and better! :-*

Good to see you online :-*
Yes this gets better all the time. We need a fan thread for Harvey Milk now!
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything
you believe about yourself"

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #866 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »

Yes, it's a wonderful moment.  I can't help but wonder what Harvey would have thought about it. I'll bet he would have had something witty and sarcastic to say! ;)
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #867 on: August 16, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »

Yes, it's a wonderful moment.  I can't help but wonder what Harvey would have thought about it. I'll bet he would have had something witty and sarcastic to say! ;)

I like to think it would be "thanks for the honor, Mr. President, now please take care of DOMA and Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'  ;) :D

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #868 on: August 16, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
Would he were able to accept the honor in person.  :(

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #869 on: August 16, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
I like to think it would be "thanks for the honor, Mr. President, now please take care of DOMA and Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'  ;) :D

Right on!!
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!