The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Character Analysis of Jack Twist  (Read 385339 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: Character Analysis of Jack Twist
« Reply #3090 on: July 15, 2013, 06:09:16 AM »
Jack Twist. A dreamer. Caring. Sexy. Sweet and compassionate, badass , emotional and just a totally awesome man.  Jake Gyllenhaal deserves just as much praise as Heath Ledger in my opinion.  Jack is so freaking lovable.  It's heartbreaking when we learn he has died when Ennis gets that postcard returned to him.  Ennis' world have to have collapsed when he first read the word 'deceased'.  It had to have destroyed his world.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3091 on: July 15, 2013, 06:14:41 AM »
Continued:

I do think that Ennis will always have his memories of Jack to bring him comfort.  Jack obviously grew up in sort of  a dysfunctional household but he turned out great if you ask me. Momma Twist was lucky to have him for a son.  I'm sure Jack couldn't stand L.D. or his own father for constantly putting him down.  Jack to them was a 'fuck-upi' and couldn't do anything right.  Lureen and Jack's mother knew how their father or husband treated Jack.  They clearly don't agree with the things they say about him but they don't defend him either.  Jack's childhood had to have been lonely.  He probably had very little contact with people.  I think his dreams and hopes of becoming a bullrider helped give him the strength he needed.  Maybe even finding someone to love someday may have played a factor.  We don't know.  I'd like to think that Jack always knew from a certain age that he like guys and that someday he would find the man of his dreams.  The same goes for Ennis.  That is what I would like to think.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #3092 on: July 15, 2013, 12:36:28 PM »
Jack Twist. A dreamer. Caring. Sexy. Sweet and compassionate, badass , emotional and just a totally awesome man.  Jake Gyllenhaal deserves just as much praise as Heath Ledger in my opinion.  Jack is so freaking lovable. 

I agree. Completely!

Slightly off topic... Ang Lee encouraged Jake to play the role of Jack as sexy as possible - as far as I'm concerned, he succeeded!  ;D
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #3093 on: July 15, 2013, 12:54:15 PM »
He certainly did even though Jake believed his character to be bi-sexual. I reckon he dug men period!!  :D
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #3094 on: July 15, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
Oh yes, Andy...............as all right thinking people do! :D :D :D
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #3095 on: July 15, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »
 :)  ;D  ;)  ;)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3096 on: July 15, 2013, 11:52:24 PM »
He certainly did even though Jake believed his character to be bi-sexual. I reckon he dug men period!!  :D

Jake is entitled to his own opinion.  I personally don't see Jack as 'bisexual'.  I think Jack is entirely and 100% gay.  He dug men entirely if you ask me.  I think he was gay and not 'bisexual' at all.  Jake is a heterosexual man and doesn't mind if people think of him as bisexual and he said if he ever fell in love with another man it would not bother him.  That's a very open-minded statement from a straight guy.  I bet Jack's sexuality mattered little to Jake.  I think Jake really liked the character and wanted to portay him honestly and accurately in terms of the short story which I will read someday I'm sure.  I think Jake deserves just as much praise as Heath Ledger.  I imagine their screen tests together had to have been breathtaking.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #3097 on: July 16, 2013, 11:31:06 AM »

I think Jake deserves just as much praise as Heath Ledger.  I imagine their screen tests together had to have been breathtaking.

Brandi, did you know Jake recieved a BAFTA award (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) for the role of Jack? I suppose you could say it's the British equivalent to the Oscar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kerv__CasPE

Awesome to see this, isn't it?!  :)  When I first saw it, I thought Jake was gonna kiss Heath!  :D  :D

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #3098 on: July 16, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
It is awesome, indeed! See how pissed off poor ol' Matt Dillon looks. :)
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #3099 on: July 16, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
 :D

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #3100 on: July 16, 2013, 12:03:16 PM »
Yes, I know Jake won the BAFTA award.  I cannot remember everywhere award the film won or was nominated for. Too many to count.  I am happy for Jake after winning the BAFTA award.  I would say it's kind of like the British Academy Awards but I still feel Jake was cheated out of the Academy Awards too. I'm sure he did want to kiss Heath almost. I would of. :D ;)