The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Character Analysis of Jack Twist  (Read 403137 times)

Offline cythera4

• Expert
Re: Element: Character Analysis of Jack Twist
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2006, 01:36:15 AM »

This is very true.  We know the look in a way no straight man can ever know it, but some damn how, this straight kid's beat us at our own game.  Good for him.

He's said in interviews that he grew up around homosexuals, friends of his family, and has always been comfortable with them. Even so, he seems to have an almost supernatural intuition for what a gay man would do or say in certain uncomfortable situations. If he puts a foot wrong, I haven't seen it in half-a-dozen viewings. If anything, his performance seems to deepen over time. If the kid isn't secretly gay, or maybe bi, then he's either a mindreader or a sorceror. Or maybe he's just a brilliant actor.

Offline alma

• Pawin the white
  • Obsessed
  • Shut up about Alma; This ain't her fault.
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2006, 04:35:00 AM »
Or maybe he's just a brilliant actor.

Lol. I vote for that one. That's what actors are supposed to do—be brilliant.

Good to see you this a.m. cythera4. Are you up to see Oscar noms?

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2006, 04:46:07 AM »
Or maybe he's just a brilliant actor.

Lol. I vote for that one. That's what actors are supposed to do—be brilliant.

Good to see you this a.m. cythera4. Are you up to see Oscar noms?

I'm going to be late for work [again] to see the Oscar noms.

Jake's performance is SO subtle here.  You know I saw the movie the first couple of times and didn't think much of Jake at all.  All I could see was Heath's performance onscreen.  ALL that anger and repression just blasts from the screen.  After the third or fourth time, however, I began to see more and more of Jake's subtlety.  He did more of the physical acting - posture, facial, eyes...  Jake does more with a shrug of his shoulders or a shift in his weight or the averting of a glance.  We all know that Jack's character was more emotive (sic) but it gave Jake the freedom to use his whole being to convey all that hope and love and openness and disappointment - more draining and more difficult as you have to draw on EVERYTHING in your life to bring that forth - all the good for the positive and all the bad for the negative.  Jake's performance is truly understated.

"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

helen_uk

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2006, 06:29:23 AM »
I think Jake's performance has been seriously underrated.  Having seen the film a few times now Ennis' character is very obvious.  We know he is repressed, that he is nervy, that he is sensitive etc etc etc.  We can see it plainly.  But Jack?  Well, at the beginning of the film we see him being a bit of a show off in front of Ennis, leaning against the truck, looking over in the car park.  He seems very sure of himself.  But the subtle performance of Jake G throughout the film shows us that he isn't as sure as he tries to make out, and I think it's a lot more difficult for us to see this unless we are really watching out for it.  He's just as lonely, unloved and insecure as Ennis, only he puts on a front, and I think it shows great craftmanship on behalf of Jake G that the underlying parts of Jack's character aren't blatently obvious.

Offline Rockbern

• Expert
  • .. the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets.
« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
I came to this thread hoping to get a view(s) on 'Jack, the Sexual Predator' angle that I've heard expressed on other threads, but everyone here is in love with Jack [and Jake].  I can easily see how such a negative view can be established.  Any thoughts, anyone?   Here are some of mine:

Is there any significance in his name - Jack Twist?   Alma calls him "Jack Nasty". 

It has also been put that Jack took advantage of Ennis right from the get-go:

- checking him out at their first meeting,
- displaying himself in a blatant sexual pose,
- finding out how he was raised - parents death and ended up here because there was no room with his brother - "That's hard",
- focusing on a lonely, isolated boy with no sexual experience even though we learn he is engaged to be married 
- learning this was his first time away from his family [brother],
- setting out to get such an obviously repressed personality talking and pointing it out to him that he had,
- We notice Ennis's great joy to share with someone for the first time in his life - He "paw(s) the white out of the moon" ,
- ordering Ennis to "Get in here" out of the cold after his reluctance to share the tent
- taking advantage of Ennis's drunken state
- making the move on him in the tent by placing his hand on his erection. 
- his very gently and tender guidance to a still reluctant but now sober Ennis in the second tent scene

It has also been said that Ennis is not queer, only in love with Jack - the first person to show any real interest in him.  The combination of this love and the great sex binds him to Jack.  After this traumatic and liberating experience he finds no other man, [or woman] of real sexual interest to him - only Jack.  Without Jack's seduction Ennis would have lead a very different existence, free from the conflict that tortured him for the rest of his life - both before and after Jack's death.

Others on this thread have commented that Jack stands up and takes what he thinks he deserves.  Unlike Ennis he has expectations and has had previous sexual experience.

Ennis's heart breaking - "Why don't you let me be.   It's because of you, Jack, that I'm like this.  I'm nothin'.  I'm nowhere."

Please defend Jack's character from such slander as this.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:16:20 AM by Dal »
Our fantasies keep us sane in an incomprehensible, indifferent universe - inevitably, we comprehend them as reality itself.

Offline aevkc

• Obsessed
  • Alright, sassafras....
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »
I've heard the "Jack as predator" stuff too and I don't get it.  A friend of mine said that and I commented that if Ennis had been a woman and Jack had acted just as he did, people would just call it "flirting" and "coming on" to her and wouldn't give it a second thought.  But because it involves two men some people are quick to label it predatory.  As for Ennis' line to Jack about leaving him alone and that Jack made him nothing, to me it's just more of an outlet for Ennis' pain.  Really, it's Ennis' own inability to acknowledge what he really wants and his inability to fashion a true life for himself that causes him to be what he is.  But, along with everything else he represses, he's unable to articulate or acknowledge that and so lashes out at Jack.  Just as he did when they left the mountain.  And as always, Jack takes it and comforts Ennis through his own pain because he loves him.  That's just my take. 
Common response to Lost: UGH! I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU, LOST! (But then I come back for a hug, because who am I kidding?)--Therese O'Dell

"True love is friendship set on fire."--French proverb

"If you're not yelling at your kids, you're not spending enough time with them."--Reese Witherspoon

Offline Leaker

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2006, 08:50:20 AM »
I put the following analysis in the 'Were they gay' forum. I figured I would put it here as well... Jack was certainly more promiscuous than Ennis - at least in the short story. This is not to say Jack did not love Ennis.

First, Ennis does not consider himself gay. In both the short story and the movie Ennis is more confuse than Jack. For Ennis, Jack has been his only gay experience. Note the following passage from the story that takes place while they are bed after 4 years. Ennis is speaking:

You know, I was sittin up here all this time trying to figure out if I was --? I know I ain't. I mean here we both got wives and kids, right? I like doin it with a woman, yeah, but Jesus H., aint nothing like this. I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hundred times thinking about you.

But in short story, Jack's character is very different than in the movie. In the short story Jack is clearly more promiscuous then we are led to believe in the movie. Note the following passage from the short story. The above quote from the short story continues with Ennis speaking and Jack then replying:

"You do it with other guys?"

"Shit no," said Jack, who had been riding more than bulls, not rolling his own.

I believe Jack loves Ennis, but as you can see he is lying to him about being with other guys.

- I interpret Jack's 'had been riding more than bulls' to correspond to Ennis admitting 'no thoughts a doin it with another guy'.

- I interpret Jack's 'not rolling his own' to Ennis admitting he 'wrang it out a hundred times'

But to me this is why the story is so good. Jack and Ennis are at different levels of gay consciousness. Jack has seen the world more than Ennis and still comes back for Ennis.  Ennis who has never traveled further than around the handle of a coffee pot still has a long way to go. They not being in sync is one of the great tragedies of their story. I wish Jack’s character in movie was more like he was in the short story. I think Ennis is pretty much the same in both.

I do believe Jack loves Ennis (whether he knows it or not) since for Jack Ennis 'satisfies some share and sexless hunger'. 

Well... these are my thoughts.... Peter 

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2006, 09:54:16 AM »
Hey there Rockbern -

As for taking advantage of Ennis' drunken state - remember they were both drunk. It does take one person to initiate any relatiionship. Is the man who asks a woman out on a first date a predator?!  Yeah, Jack is more worldly wise (if such a thing can be said of someone "inured to the hard life" and raised in deprivation) but no way do I see him as a predator - just a more forthright and aware person.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline cythera4

• Expert
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2006, 09:57:01 AM »
I came to this thread hoping to get a view(s) on 'Jack, the Sexual Predator' angle that I've heard expressed on other threads, but everyone here is in love with Jack [and Jake].  I can easily see how such a negative view can be established.  Any thoughts, anyone?   Here are some of mine:

Is there any significance in his name - Jack Twist?   Alma calls him "Jack Nasty". 

It has also been put that Jack took advantage of Ennis right from the get-go:

- checking him out at their first meeting,
- displaying himself in a blatant sexual pose,
- finding out how he was raised - parents death and ended up here because there was no room with his brother - "That's hard",
- focusing on a lonely, isolated boy with no sexual experience even though we learn he is engaged to be married 
- learning this was his first time away from his family [brother],
- setting out to get such an obviously repressed personality talking and pointing it out to him that he had,
- We notice Ennis's great joy to share with someone for the first time in his life - He "paw(s) the white out of the moon" ,
- ordering Ennis to "Get in here" out of the cold after his reluctance to share the tent
- taking advantage of Ennis's drunken state
- making the move on him in the tent by placing his hand on his erection. 
- his very gently and tender guidance to a still reluctant but now sober Ennis in the second tent scene

It has also been said that Ennis is not queer, only in love with Jack - the first person to show any real interest in him.  The combination of this love and the great sex binds him to Jack.  After this traumatic and liberating experience he finds no other man, [or woman] of real sexual interest to him - only Jack.  Without Jack's seduction Ennis would have lead a very different existence, free from the conflict that tortured him for the rest of his life - both before and after Jack's death.

Others on this thread have commented that Jack stands up and takes what he thinks he deserves.  Unlike Ennis he has expectations and has had previous sexual experience.

Ennis's heart breaking - "Why don't you let me be.   It's because of you, Jack, that I'm like this.  I'm nothin'.  I'm nowhere."

Please defend Jack's character from such slander as this.

WHO is saying these things? And why SPREAD the slander, hm?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 08:19:30 AM by Dal »

Offline dreamer

• Virgin
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2006, 10:00:57 AM »
I agree with what others have said about Jack being an outgoing, gregarious character, open and warm to others, and one who gets by on personal charm, but that's just one side to him.  What fascinates me about him is that, despite being an extrovert, he still remembers the happiest time of his life being totally isolated on BBM with Ennis, far away from the outside world with its pressures and complications.  The significance of the time on the mountain is not just in that it gave Ennis and Jack time with each other, but that it gave them both time AWAY from everyone and everything except each other.  Similarly, despite his comfortable life with Lureen, he is the one who is ready to throw it all away and cut himself off from the world with Ennis, whether by driving for 14 hours to Ennis's cabin in the middle of nowhere or by shutting himself off with Ennis in a ranch.  We can see easily why solitude would be important to Ennis, the repressed soul who seems always to be buffeted by events around him, but its importance to Jack gives away that, at heart, he too yearns to shut himself off from the outside world and live his life in a private bubble with Ennis.  Jack is a character who thrives on riding the rodeo of life, but deep down wants nothing more than to shut himself away.

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

He's said in interviews that he grew up around homosexuals, friends of his family, and has always been comfortable with them. Even so, he seems to have an almost supernatural intuition for what a gay man would do or say in certain uncomfortable situations. If he puts a foot wrong, I haven't seen it in half-a-dozen viewings. If anything, his performance seems to deepen over time. If the kid isn't secretly gay, or maybe bi, then he's either a mindreader or a sorceror. Or maybe he's just a brilliant actor.

Or maybe all of the above?! ;D

I believe he said in one interview that he had gay godfathers. And in another one, way back before BBM was released, he said something to the effect that he believed every guy has had a crush on another guy at some point in his life. He strikes me as simply being very comfortable with the idea that human sexuality is quite fluid and not black-and-white.

What struck me first about the character of Jack Twist was not only his easygoing friendliness (practically shoving his extended hand into Ennis's face to be shaken, saying "Nice to know ya, Ennis Del Mar" but his sympathetic listening and questioning skills, and politeness--traits stereotypically (but perhaps often true!!) associated with women and gay men rather than straight men. Questions like "Your parents run you out?"--nosy but friendly. He even exhibits these positive traits with Lureen--picking up her hat for her, sticking up for her at the Thanksiving scene ("...that took his momma four hours to prepare...") ...I guess he got those traits from his mommma...

helen_uk

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
...I guess he got those traits from his mommma...

*sniffle*

Offline Charlie

• Feet Wet
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2006, 02:45:01 PM »
All of this is absolutely true - but he ALSO sees financial stability, which he doesn't have. He's checked out who she is, and got the information about the farm machinery business before she comes sashaying over to him.
Does anyone else think the scene in the car when she rips off her bra is one of the funniest things in the movie??
"I like where you're going" says Jack.....and his expression then changes to momentary total panic when he realises how fast she's taking the corners, if I can put it that way. More fantastic acting from JG

Do you think Lureen and Jack "had to" get married? Maybe that is why her father hated him so much?

Offline lektronnorth

• Experienced
  • Just the smile in your eyes can light up the night
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »

Do you think Lureen and Jack "had to" get married? Maybe that is why her father hated him so much?

Both Ennis and Jack get their partners pregnant really quickly. See how virile they are? (Sorry....off on one there.......)  No, the reason Papa Arsehole hates Adorable Jake so much is surely the notion (obviously widespread since Ennis says it to Jack early on in the movie) that all rodeo riders are faggots.  Papa Arsehole continually comes back to this homophobic stuff through Jack's kid, who although he "smiles a lot" when 9 months old, has certainly stopped by the Thanksgiving dinner stuff.  He should watch the match so he grows into a real man.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 03:08:12 PM by lektronnorth »
"Hell, that's the most I've spoke in a YEAR..."

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2006, 03:07:01 PM »

Both Ennis and Jack get their partners pregnant really quickly. See how virile they are? (Sorry....off on one there.......)  No, the reason Papa Arsehole hates Adorable Jake so much is surely the notion (obviously widespread since Ennis says it to Jack early on in the movie) that all rodeo riders are faggots. 

Could have sworn he said f**k ups...
It could be like this, just like this, always...