The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Columbine  (Read 106941 times)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
Re: Columbine
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
I'm really excited about this, too, and appreciative of the interest.

I'll be traveling for about 1/3 of the time, but here for 2/3, which is about my schedule these days. I'll try to stay out of the way when I should, so that you guys can discuss it freely, and jump in when you want input from me about why I made certain choices.

Dave I'm interested in knowing if you have any resources you'd suggest we check out related to the book for supplemental reading. 

Oh yeah.

I've collected an organized a motherload of info here:

http://davecullen.com/columbine/columbine-guide.htm

(There's quite a bit on the killers, especially.)

I have a page on best news stories, here, but it's under revision, with everything pulled down while I redo it--I'll try to get it back up soon:

http://davecullen.com/columbine/columbine-guide.htm

(The best stories were by Time, Westword, GQ and the Rocky Mountain News.)

The two good films have been "Zero Day" and "April Showers."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »
I'm reading it bits and pieces as the subject matter is a bit too disturbing for me to read straight through (does anybody else feel like that about some books?).   Like some of you, I'm looking at it from a parent's point of view.   

Yes, it has definitely gotten strong reactions from parents. I can't know exactly what that's like, but I've gotten a sense over the past couple months.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »

Michael, looks like I will have to opt out of this discussion.  I checked my branch library today, and there are 7 people ahead of me for 'Columbine.'  Given that they may take 2 weeks each, that will be 14 wks before I get it.  (I'm basing the 2 wks per on what some of you mentioned it took you.)  By then it will be July, and you all will be well into the discussion which will not give me a chance to both read and comment.  Sorry about this, it's the first time I've had to opt out of a book discussion since you began the book club, Michael!  I do plan to drop in occasionally to see how you folks are doing. 

The good news is that Dave's book is obviously successful, since the 8 of us who are waiting have signed up for 'Columbine' before the library even had it. Hurray for Dave!

P.S.   As a parent, I don't think it will stop me from reading the book, though.  I look forward to reading it if I ever get it.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 04:40:28 PM »
Well that is bad news, Nikki!  I have appreciated your participation in the book club since the start and will miss you.  Please do stop by while we're having our discussion - your input is always welcome!
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 03:12:23 PM »
I'm getting COLUMBINE tomorrow--can't wait to start reading it! 

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
Please note this appearance of Dave discussing Columbine:

Another chance to hear an interview with Dave about Columbine is only up for 2 weeks -today til June 15.
Ric Bratton is the interviewer, show is This Week in America.

http://www.bluefunkbroadcasting.com/affiliates/twia.htm 

It's labeled The Show for June 5.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 02:29:06 PM »
I'm getting COLUMBINE tomorrow--can't wait to start reading it! 

Glad to hear you'll be joining us Mark!

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
Started it last night...how odd that four days after Principal DeAngelis made that teary, hearftfelt speech about wanting to see everone back at school safely the Monday after the prom that the tragedy happened.  Just made me shiver.  Since my computer is down I should have plenty of time to read it this weekend.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 08:05:07 AM »
I got a lump in my throat when I began to read about Dave Sanders. His personality came through so vividly that it was hard to believe Dave didn't know him while he was alive.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »

Michael, looks like I'll be joining in after all.  Someone loaned me the book, so looks like I'm on deck for the discussion.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »

Michael, looks like I'll be joining in after all.  Someone loaned me the book, so looks like I'm on deck for the discussion.

Great news!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:59 PM »
I'm reading it bits and pieces as the subject matter is a bit too disturbing for me to read straight through (does anybody else feel like that about some books?).   Like some of you, I'm looking at it from a parent's point of view.   

I had the same problem when I read it Descra. I had to pick it up and put it down, could not read it for long periods. Being a parent (fortunately of boys who are now in their mid and late 20's and past the high school angst), I am still very interested in the stuff behind these seemingly outwardly normal boys. I know what is "normal" now a days?

I do have a grandson growing up though. Looking forward to the discussions.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
Fabulous book. I am torn between not being able to put it down because it is so absorbing, and having to put it down because parts of it are so harrowing.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 11:30:41 AM »
It's been a crazy past couple of days so I haven't read as much as I'd like.  I like to be able to read big chunks of a book at a time.  I have read the first eight chapters and the book is riveting.  I plan to hunker down tonight and read a lot of it.

No one has asked this so I will--actually, I asked Michael and he told me Dave said to ask the question in the thread, so here goes:  

Dear Dave,

How did you come to the decision not to use any photographs in the book?  Of course I wasn't wanting to see pictures of carnage and the aftermath, but part of me I admit am curious as to what the people in the story look(ed) like.  Was it out of sympathy to the families of the victims, and the victims themselves (including, in a lopsided way, Harris and Klebold)?  Part of me is glad there are no pictures.  I remember how looking at pix of Manson and his "family" and the murdered people in HELTER SKELTER gave me the shudders.   I respect your decision.  Just wondered if you are being asked this question of why no pix by any other interviewers, fans, etc.

Mark  

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 02:41:53 PM »
Strange, but until this moment, I hadn't given a single thought to photos. Not once during my reading did I wonder what Eric or Dylan really looked like or any of the other people. Dave did such an incredible job of describing those boys and especially Dave Sanders, as well as certain places like the library and the cafeteria, that I didn't feel any need to see pictures. That's very impressive, because I usually expect a book about real events to have at least a few images.