The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What's your poison?  (Read 47413 times)

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
Re: What's your poison?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 08:54:33 PM »
I'll have what Neil's having. Or chartreuse. Or, you know, whatever's going.  ;D Except I don't like sweet drinks. I leave the ones with pink parasols for Michael.
let be, let be

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 08:59:47 PM »
I leave the ones with pink parasols for Michael.

If I have enough I wear them in my hair....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_H_sVNgvf4
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
I like a good cold beer.  Back in my college days (before even legal age  ;D), there would be keggar parties where I and many would drink our weight in beer.   Oh the memories, or lack of them in some cases  :D....but nowdays, I perfer to have one after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.  Nothing fancy, but perfer regular Budweiser.  Also like some of the better German imports that are available in my area.

As far as wine, I really like the Black Box Cabernet or Merlot.  I know, I know, a boxed wine just doesn't sound all that great, but check out the Black Box label sometime.  They don't use any of the nitrates or other nasty preservatives that people like Peter Vella, Franzia, etc use.  It is a much higher price, but is also much better quality.

But mostly, even on the hot days after working outside or riding the bike, I'll settle for a cold bottle of Ozarka water.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
I really like Belgian beers Charlie.  But then again, I got into the whole 'microbrew' thing here in the bay area in the 80s with Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada.

And Marc you'd be rather surprised at 'American' coffee I think.  Here in SF there is a whole tendency toward single cup drip coffee.  One particular coffee place here in SF was started by a guy from the Middle East (I think Yemen) and at his place they have different blends with different overtones of flavor (not flavored coffee - that stuff is garbage - I mean the actual flavor of the beans).  Very very good, imho.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »
Chivas on the rocks

Jameson with  a twist.

VO and splash of water (but only at the lake for some odd reason)

Most all of Rosenblums' Zins.

Pinot Grigio, Santa Margheita usually.

Gin martini by George at Sardi's.  Don't know why, really.  Good memories, I guess.

A red from a small Sonoma winery I can't remember the name of.

A Lone Star longneck but only on the deck of the Austin Hyatt while waiting for the bats to fly from the bridge.

A Vesper (gin, vodka, Lillet) but only at certain places in Dallas and only with my sister.

Harvey Wallbanger but only with my wife and only on those rare occasions when the old bell bottoms and that god awful shirt still fit.

Finally, a Bloody Mary, especially from the Granduca in Houston. (Meadow Wood too)

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 01:04:24 AM »
Okay, make mine a frozen mexican-style Margarita --  thick as ice cream, with a shot of 'Grand Marnier' orange liquer on the side, and lots of  salt on the rim..!

-And let's all head for Nogales! ?! -LOL! >:D :D :D

Az do you have a recipie for this? sounds good

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 01:24:29 AM »
Poison(s)?

White wine, sex, music, swimming. Friends.

So this thread's got round to sex already? (ok, Ingy, I kow Nick got there first ;D)

Perhaps we should have another new thread on other (non-beverage) addictions and idiosyncrasies?
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
  • Rob - você é minha vida
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 05:45:56 AM »
I'm a bit like that with whiskey, I prefer the good stuff, but the £7.00 a bottle rot gut will do at a pinch.

Do you think it's to do with being from Essex?

I think it maybe anglo-saxon genes in general.  ;D

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:10 AM »
Upon reflection, I would probably add

Good Coffee

and the Wasabi Bloody Mary's at The American Bar and Grill on Broadway, in Seattle

Or a Noilly-Prat Ambre sitting here of an evening

Or a bucket sized Mojito served just here.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 05:55:55 AM »
The special thing about Noilly Prat is that part of the aging process of this vermouth involves leaving the herb-infused white wine outside in open casks exposed to the elements for a year -- rain, sun, wind (near Marseille) etc.  8% of it evaporates and is called "the angels' share". When you drink it chilled, it really does taste like the open air. Happy and mild rather than euphoric and bitter, however.  :)

Offline Trigger Hippie

• nnln nlnn
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 06:02:29 AM »
I love it, my fave South of France holiday spot is Marseillan, the Home of Noilly Prat. In fact the pic in my above post is the Hotel Du Port, which is a few yards from the original Noilly Cellars, and current HQ.

Many tastings have been had. I love all versions of the liquid joy.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 06:09:15 AM »
Or a bucket sized Mojito served just here.

I take it the delicious Mojito is the hunk on the left?

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 06:11:27 AM »

Sparkling water - an addiction for me.

And white wines from Burgundy, the dryer the better.

Noilly Prat - hate it !

But there's a wonderful apéritif in the Pyrénées-Orientales, in the area close to Prades. Very sweet. One drinks it on the rocks, it's a bit like Muscadet...

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 06:12:13 AM »

(Btw, only our dear Neil could invent a thread like this.)

::)   ;D   :-*

WISE UP

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »
But there's a wonderful apéritif in the Pyrénées-Orientales, in the area close to Prades. Very sweet. One drinks it on the rocks, it's a bit like Muscadet...

What is it called, Ing? Maybe I know it. (But I'm not so fond of sweet aperos.) Know what I hate, though? Pastis/Ricard. The farmers here love that stuff.  :P