The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain Screenings and Related Events  (Read 365539 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Brokeback Mountain Screenings and Related Events
« Reply #420 on: January 13, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »

Linda, do you happen to remember what restaurant you were all having dinner at
in the photos you posted?

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #421 on: January 13, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
So good to see you all!

Thanks, Sara! ♥ That was many moons ago!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #422 on: January 13, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »

No, Lyle. I was trying to remember the name, but it escapes me. I know it was within walking distance of the theater and was Peruvian. I do remember it was really good.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2017, 04:45:37 AM »
At the end of the film when you see the dozy embrace scene and then see how Jack has aged, it's hard to believe the movie was out eleven years ago.  I also noticed that when we left the theatre, there was an 11 p.m. screening in that theatre of Nocturnal Animals. A Jake double feature.

...sigh...

How time flies. Eleven fuckin' years... Sigh indeed.

I loved reading your post, Lyle. Thank you.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2017, 10:22:12 AM »
^^^

Thank you, you are most welcome!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #425 on: January 15, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
As I was waiting in the cold night air for the bus on Santa Monica Blvd. and Vine Street, I looked up into the sky,
partially filled with clouds, to see a huge bright full moon; the same one shining over Jack while watching the
sheep up on Brokeback Mountain.

...sigh...

Oh my, what a memory to have.  V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #426 on: January 15, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »

Yes! Indeed!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »

Ennis Del Mark noticed this upcoming screening series in Champaign, Illinois:

THE FILMS OF ANG LEE

Schedule:

Feb 28 & March 2  Sense & Sensibility (1995) Rated PG (136 min)
March 7 & 9  Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000) Rated PG-13 (120 min)
March 14 & 16  The Life of Pi (2012) Rated PG (127 min)
March 21 & 23  Brokeback Mountain (2005)  Rated R (134 min)

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (2005)
(134 min) The story of a forbidden and secretive relationship between two cowboys, and their lives over the years.

Virginia Theatre, 203 W. Park Ave., Champaign, IL 61820 United States

Date/Time(s): Tue and Thur, March 21 & 23, 2017 – 7pm Seating: General Admission Rating: R Tickets: $5 (or see all four for $15)

http://thevirginia.org/events/category/film/list/

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2017, 01:51:40 AM »

There were not many people attending this screening. Only around 20-25 tops. 

No bottoms?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2017, 10:43:08 AM »

LOL, now why didn't "I" think of that?!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #430 on: February 06, 2017, 02:35:54 PM »

hi lyle,

it's called los balcones and it's just around the corner from the arclight...

i haven't been there in years, but now i am craving eight of their little caramel cookies. :D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #431 on: February 06, 2017, 03:39:19 PM »

thank you for your wonderful brokeback memory, lyle. i saw brokeback at the arclight too, what a great venue. was great to see the costumes on display. who knew we would see them again at the castro, and other places too, like the max factor museum in hollywood.

i also saw BBM at the aero in santa monica (where we sat in the front row, just three feet from heath and jake!) for the march 06 screening and q & a, and at theatres in beverly hills, glendale, burbank, and in northridge.. LOL. i think i watched in "only" 11 times in theaters, dragging friends who hadn't seen it, or who wanted to see it again, or just by myself.. only 11 times or so, because soon after that i received an academy award screener and was able to watch it at home. still, it's so delicious on the big screen, ya know?

however, my favorite experience was when i went to the galleria in sherman oaks and watched it by myself for a matinee. there was just a small crowd for the movie, as it was during the week in the early afternoon.

this was the screening where a loud woman kept loudly exclaiming "oy vey!" and "disgusting!" at any scene she found to be repulsive or not to her liking. so annoying, and others were telling her to shut up, but we all know brokeback was getting insane reactions from audiences all over the place. i couldn't fault her for voicing the deep emotions that the movie stirred in her, as she obviously had her own story to tell.

anyway... right when the movie started, just as the truck was snaking along that twilight darkened road, i saw a lone figure enter the theater. there he was, standing in a slowly disappearing shaft of yellow light from lobby as the theater doors closed. his lanky body was silhouetted as he stood in place for a moment to allow his eyes to adjust to the darkness of the auditorium. then, he took the stairs in twos, easily climbing toward the middle of the room, and he slid into a spot maybe five seats from mine.

as you can imagine, i was captivated. he was young, mid-twenties, and he wore a black hat like jack twist. he had tight jeans, and a rodeo buckle. a big one. shiny -- i shit you not. he wore a button down shirt, too, but i forgot if it was patterned or just blue.

he sat down and took his cover off. short, close cropped hair. i could see his noble profile. his hands were folded, almost reverently, over his ample basket (hey, i notice everything, lol)... he was tall, and he slid down a little in his seat.

i spent parts of the movie bemoaning the rude woman (who finally left, thank god, dragging her husband with her, but not before shouting "this movie is DEEE-SGUSTING!" at the bottom of the stairs) and other parts staring at this cowboy, who sat near enough so i could see his chest rise and fall. he would gasp almost inaudibly at certain scenes. the FNIT. the SNIT. when joe caught them horsing around, he squirmed a bit in his chair. i did too.

he laughed a few times too. we all do. it's why the movie is so damn good, you laugh, you cry, you break a little inside.

then it happened --jack drove up to the riverton apartment and ennis bounded down the stairs. the kiss unfolded. was it the passion of their embrace that brought wetness to this cowboy's eyes, or was it from a pain he had to endure? i saw it, the sparkle of a tear running down his cheek.

the kiss lasted longer than he could endure. he gripped the armrest of his chair. his legs seemed to stiffen. then alma appeared at the door, and the cowboy jerked, and i heard a choked sob, and he suddenly grabbed his hat and bolted out of the room.

he did not leave out of disgust like the woman who left earlier, but, i suspect, because he was married himself, just like jack and ennis. like the glint of reflected light on his cheeks, there a glittery band of gold on his left hand, too.

the rest of the movie was a blur. i was caught up in anticipation, hoping that the cowboy just had to catch a breather and would come back to finish the movie. i wondered if it was his first time seeing brokeback (this was probably two months after it first opened). maybe he got popcorn. maybe his bladder was bursting. i held out hope, but he never came back into the theater.

now i wonder if he was able to sneak away and see it again to the end. i wonder if he watches it on DVD, if he is still married, if he was able to fix it, or if he's just standing it, like so many men in rural america do.

mind you, this was in the valley of los angeles county. but we have cowboys here, too. maybe he rode down from lancaster to see the movie. maybe he was from sylmar, not so far away, where there are farms and horse ranches, who knows. but a real cowboy, in sherman oaks, punctuated by the enraged crazy lady shouting expletives? it was my most memorable screening of BBM, for sure.

:D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #432 on: February 06, 2017, 03:58:38 PM »
That's a great story. It's that shared experience that compounds the power of the film.  Knowing someone whom you do not know having the same experience as you is binding
V.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2017, 08:37:21 AM »
i was captivated. he was young, mid-twenties, and he wore a black hat like jack twist. he had tight jeans, and a rodeo buckle. a big one. shiny -- i shit you not.

[...]

now i wonder if he was able to sneak away and see it again to the end. i wonder if he watches it on DVD, if he is still married, if he was able to fix it, or if he's just standing it, like so many men in rural america do.

Sigh. I wonder if he reads here  ;)

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it, Jimmy.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #434 on: February 07, 2017, 09:22:28 AM »

Jimmy, I don't think I ever heard you talk about that before!
Thanks for sharing that!