The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Symbolism & Imagery, II  (Read 58888 times)

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
Re: Symbolism & Imagery, II
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 05:48:07 AM »
Thanks! I'll need to listen to it a few times before I can comment on it.

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 05:49:29 AM »
Question: Did it bother anyone else that E & J's clothes were too new looking in the movie?

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 07:11:15 AM »
no not really im always to hooked on the story!
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 12:16:35 AM »
Hi, IW,

Question: Did it bother anyone else that E & J's clothes were too new looking in the movie?

-Now that you mention it, yes, they do look a little too new, although like Marz I wasn't actually bothered by it.

If you subscribe to the descriptions of the boys' clothing in the Short Story(SS), their boots should have been more worn than they were, and their clothes should not have fit as well as they did...

And except for the Camp segment following Ennis' encounter with the bear, their clothes always seem a little too clean, too!

-Az :)
"'Democracy' is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch... 'Liberty' is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.'' -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:52 AM »
Yeah.  New and clean.  Like a catalog picture! 

I guess it's all because the filming was done in Alberta.  The Canadians keep their mountains very neat and orderly, I'm told.
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 02:22:10 PM »
I read the SS first and one of the things that I took away from it was the contrast in the love the found to the sheer lonliness they felt and their "privation" was both physical and mental. So it kinda bothered me that they didnt look poor enough in the movie. I think it would have given just a little bit more weight to what they had between each other.

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 06:24:09 PM »
^^^^^
Exactly. Ennis had "the jeans torn, button-gaping shirt," in Aguirre's trailer.  Maybe the Boy's would've have had time for some mending etc, but no amount of repair work could make the clothes almost new.  Which is what they often appeared to be -- almost new.
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

BayCityJohn

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 05:33:33 PM »

Not really. Especially Jack's clothes after he married Lureen.

The blue shirt that Ennis wore did look a little newer on screen than it actually was. I think lighting and the type of lens has something to do with it.

That shirt is slightly worn around the cuffs, the collar, and the pockets. It's a vintage shirt, and the material is getting thin. That's why I can't wear it anymore.

BayCityJohn

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

Online foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
Wind River Mountains
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 02:00:37 PM »
I have relocated my post here to the General Discussion 2 thread, which seems better suited, to me.

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=28284.msg1750186#msg1750186
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 10:23:40 AM by foreverinawe »
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 05:03:31 PM »
Hey Brokies, question for ya. well, several. What did Ang mean by the following "back ground clips"? I am assuming they all have some meaning and were choosen for a reason-

1. When Ennis and Alma are at the drive through-why did Ang pick that movie and that scene? What did it mean?

2. When Ennis and Alma are watching TV with the girls, why did Ang pick that scene to show playing on the TV? And what did it mean?

3. Next scene-(this is right after we see Jack ask Lureen where is blue parka is) Ennis is getting ready to go fishing with Jack, he is packing his bag in his bedroom and there is, off camera, a man talking. He is describing someone, "construction worker...etc" What is that supposed to mean or symbolize?

I think thats all. I apologize if these were all discussed at length some time ago.

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 09:01:02 AM »
Hey Brokies, question for ya. well, several. What did Ang mean by the following "back ground clips"? I am assuming they all have some meaning and were choosen for a reason-

1. When Ennis and Alma are at the drive through-why did Ang pick that movie and that scene? What did it mean?

2. When Ennis and Alma are watching TV with the girls, why did Ang pick that scene to show playing on the TV? And what did it mean?

3. Next scene-(this is right after we see Jack ask Lureen where is blue parka is) Ennis is getting ready to go fishing with Jack, he is packing his bag in his bedroom and there is, off camera, a man talking. He is describing someone, "construction worker...etc" What is that supposed to mean or symbolize?

I think thats all. I apologize if these were all discussed at length some time ago.

Here goes:

1) it's a surf movie, and the words have something to do with what's allowed and what is not;
  2) I think it's Hawaii Five-O, a detective TV show, and there's a set-up and ambush taking place, and since Ennis and Alma are as together as ever, I consider this a possible pre-figuring of Thanksgiving in Monroe's kitchen;
and  3) the man's voice in the background is on the radio, and he is telling a joke which involves a big man behaving in unexpected ways...
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »
Here goes:

1) it's a surf movie, and the words have something to do with what's allowed and what is not;
  2) I think it's Hawaii Five-O, a detective TV show, and there's a set-up and ambush taking place, and since Ennis and Alma are as together as ever, I consider this a possible pre-figuring of Thanksgiving in Monroe's kitchen;
and  3) the man's voice in the background is on the radio, and he is telling a joke which involves a big man behaving in unexpected ways...

Hey! Thanks for taking a stab at this!

tonydude

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
  Hi, Dean - I had seen your question before, but didn't get around to it until now.  This is a very tough area for me, as I was surprised, when I came to this forum, to find an active cottage industry in finding meaning and messages in a great many small details in BBM.  I had brushed it all off as over-active analyzing but then found many of the posts persuasive and even proven.  That really bugged me as I didn't want to think of the SS or film as that baroque,... ornate in all manner of trivial stuff. Finally, I came to a middle ground - the little messages are there, at times, but were just an afterthought; something to be doing; nothing meant to make a new DaVinci Code.
  In the instances you have noticed, I think there was deliberate intent, and I mostly agree with Fofol's take, above.  It looks to me that you were sharp to see something had to influence the choices (they weren't random), and Fofol was experienced enough to track and identify possible reasons.
  Am kind of stuck, today, but if there's more showing up on this subject, or you would like to continue looking it over, I can be back tonight, if that's ok; but I hope you do make some reference to Fofol's post, as that would be an excellent starting point.

Offline inwooder

• Experienced
  • "fuck Aguirre"
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
thanks for looking. I kinda felt the same way until I realized that AL orchastrated a whole 2nd and 3rd layer to the movie and that it wasn't all there to be grasped on first viewing. I think some of what we discuss is not really there and is our endless scruitiny and over active pattern seeking brains, but there are some real details that are meant to be ferreted out. It has made my experince of the movie richer to learn these little details.