The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood  (Read 92364 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
This is the thread for the upcoming book discussion of 'A Single Man' by Christopher Isherwood.  As today is Feb. 25th and we need to give several members time to get the book and read it that perhaps we should aim for April 5th as the start date - but I'm certainly open to your opinions.

The book is a little over 100 pages long - so I'm planning on doing this in 3 week - with around 30 pages per week (I'll be looking at my copy to look for natural breaks).

After the discussion of the book I'm guessing that many here would like to discuss the Tom Ford film of the same name - so if there is adequate interest we can do that as well.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
Re: A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »
Hey Mikey...

You'll probably find that the book "A Single Man" has a different page format vs the copy you have.

My copy has 186 pages.
Old Brokeback got me good...

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
Hey Mikey...

You'll probably find that the book "A Single Man" has a different page format vs the copy you have.

My copy has 186 pages.

That's very weird, Rob.  I have 'Where Joy Resides: A Christopher Isherwood Reader' and it runs 107 pages in there - but I'll look for your copy.  If it's 186 pages then that would be 4 weeks and around 46 pages per week.

For readers of this thread note that I will shortly be posting a link to 'A Single Man' (the new version that Rob has) in the Amazon store.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »
Here is a link to 'A Single Man' in the forum's Amazon store:

http://astore.amazon.com/davecullencom-20/detail/0816638624

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
Two notes - I've bought the 'new' version of 'A Single Man', so I'll be able to put up the divisions for the discussion shortly.

And note that though I've put April 5th as the date for the club to start, I'm still flexible on that.  I just wanted to get something up in the news box.

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:25 PM »
I'm reading the boook in Swedish now, so I'm sure it will have different pages than You have. But I hope I will be able to follow the discussion anyway.

I suggest that You (or someone else) start another thread for the film. I think it would be too complex to discuss them both here, and maybe we need a third place to complare the book and the film.
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:19 PM »
Hi Petter!  We'll be glad to have you along.  Meanwhile, we've already been discussing the book (since before Cally [Sara] asked that we consider it for a book club selection).  We started back here in the 'What good book have you read lately?':

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=232.msg1774381#msg1774381

So we've been at it a while, considering that Rob brought it up back in January!  :D

And we've been discussing the film for a while over in 'Gay Cinema' too:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=277.msg1787522#msg1787522

[That Rob!]

So we've been at that for a while as well.

We will not (hopefully) be discussing the book and the film at the same time here - we'll discuss the book first (for 4 weeks) and then the film afterward.  We've done this before - we did it with 'Mayor of Castro Street' and 'Milk' and also with the book and film of 'The Celluloid Closet.'

Offline PetterG

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
Many thanks for that. I havn't been here for a very very long time so I'm not updated. I will read the threads and see if You already have said 'everything' (ie maybe I will not have anything to add).
if you cannot fix it - you've gotta stand it
if you cannot stand it - you gotta fix it

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 01:06:18 AM »
Oh, there's always something more to say, Petter!

My copy has 152 pages. And there are no chapters - but as it's fairly short I should be able to find my way around.
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline Janie-G

• Inspired by beauty Account deactivated per member's request
  • Obsessed
  • Redlined all the way
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:24:11 AM »
I'm reading this just now after seeing the film. I'll be happy to join you in April or whenever.  :)
In the words of the great Ron Weasley, "That's bloody brilliant!"
http://janie-g.deviantart.com/

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »
Great to have you along Janie-G!

Offline Janie-G

• Inspired by beauty Account deactivated per member's request
  • Obsessed
  • Redlined all the way
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:54:11 AM »
Thank you Michael. I'll look forward to it.  ;)
In the words of the great Ron Weasley, "That's bloody brilliant!"
http://janie-g.deviantart.com/

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 09:14:01 AM »
I will be looking at Barnes & Noble for A Single Man (or ordering via their website) because I have Christmas gift certificates for B&N.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
I will be looking at Barnes & Noble for A Single Man (or ordering via their website) because I have Christmas gift certificates for B&N.

If their stores out there are like their stores here, it will be prominently displayed due to the Oscar nomination, Debbie.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
If their stores out there are like their stores here, it will be prominently displayed due to the Oscar nomination, Debbie.

Yes, I found it, with Colin Firth's picture on the front cover.  It is the version with 186 pages.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?