The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood  (Read 87492 times)

Offline elena

• Obsessed
Re: A Single Man by Christopher Isherwood
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:21 PM »

Hi, everybody!

I've noticed you'll discuss ''A Single Man'', one of the best books I've read lately. It is incredibly brilliant also considering when it was written. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

In fact I don't know whether to go and see the movie because from the trailer it looks so different from the book. Any impressions from someone who loved the book and went to see the movie after?

Ciao

Antonella

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 01:06:20 PM »
Hi Antonella!

I view the movie and the book as two different works.  They're book good, although having read the book I prefer that to the film (now).  I still think the film is well worth seeing as long as you accept it as an interpretation of the book.

Michael
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline elena

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 03:45:14 AM »
Thank for your answer, Michael! I'll try to keep it in mind when I go and see the movie.

Till now the only movie I've seen which could rival with the book it was made from is BBM.

Have a nice Sunday!

A

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:04 AM »
Antonella...

The movie and the book are well worth your time. Both are wonderful and beautiful in their own ways.

It is so nice to see you back!

Rob
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »
Phong has just brought a copy home for me - the new edition. Looking forward to it.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 10:48:57 AM »

I just ordered a used copy from Amazon, so it will probably be different from yours Michael, but I don't think I'll have any probs keeping up with the sections you post. I've had different editions in the  past from the club and it worked out great.  The copy only cost 9.54 and Amazon's used copies are as they describe  "good," or "very good." Certainly better than paying full price. ;D
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
Saw the movie last night.  It lived up to the good reviews.

I'm looking forward to reading the book.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline elena

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 02:01:58 PM »
Antonella...

The movie and the book are well worth your time. Both are wonderful and beautiful in their own ways.

It is so nice to see you back!

Hi, Rob!

Thank you for your welcome!

In fact I never really managed to be on this thread, which is a pity because I've seen some great books have been discussed in the past. I was just slighly too late for the discussion on Patterson's book and definitely too late for Spandauer: I'm reading it now. I find it fantastic. Maybe this is out of topic, I don't know exactly the rules here...

Best Wishes from Switzerland!

Antonella

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
In fact I never really managed to be on this thread, which is a pity because I've seen some great books have been discussed in the past. I was just slighly too late for the discussion on Patterson's book and definitely too late for Spandauer: I'm reading it now. I find it fantastic. Maybe this is out of topic, I don't know exactly the rules here...

Best Wishes from Switzerland!

Antonella

Hi Antonella!  I think you want to be making these sorts of comments on the 'What good book have you read lately' - which is here:

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=232.0

This thread will be for discussion related directly to the Isherwood book.  I look forward to your posts in both threads!
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline Jenny

• Reads a lot
  • Obsessed
  • We're not obsessed, we're just intensely focused!
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
I'm willing to give it a try, especially if you start it on April 5th. March is kind of packed. I loved the movie but haven't read the book; I think the only Isherwood I've read is I Am A Camera. It sounds like a doable length. :)
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love time is eternity.

A friend is what the heart needs all the time.

Henry van Dyke

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 09:52:35 PM »
Great news Jenny - Glad to have you on board!

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 01:14:55 AM »
we went to London to see the film yesterday, and loved it, (in a harrowing sort of way :'(). I have ordered the book from Amazon, although it is not the film tie in one that you mentioned. However I am sure I will cope!
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 09:10:34 AM »
Very nice to see so many involved!

The movie was great, wasn't it?!
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »
My copy has 152 pages. And there are no chapters - but as it's fairly short I should be able to find my way around.

My copy with 186 pages (actually, from page 9 to page 186) doesn't have chapters either, but it has "breaks" (lines of white space) in the text which make for little "mini-chapters."  Some of these are less than a page, some 2 or 3 pages, some up to about 10 pages.  I went through and numbered these mini-chapters lightly in the margin, and there are 39 of them.  I did this just to make it easier to find my way around and refer back to the correct pages.

Michael, when you divide up the text, it would probably work to point us to the first line of the section where we should begin, and the last line of the section where we should stop, for each week's discussion.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2010, 10:36:58 AM »
Michael, when you divide up the text, it would probably work to point us to the first line of the section where we should begin, and the last line of the section where we should stop, for each week's discussion.

That's pretty much what I was planning, Debbie.  Actually I was planning on giving a couple of lines at the end of the one section and a couple at the end of the next one.  I'll post them shortly.