The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Let's Get Serious About Jake II  (Read 895634 times)

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
Re: Let's Get Serious About Jake II
« Reply #6120 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:44 PM »
What's interesting to me is that, apparently, NONE of the forum members near NYC have been to see the play! WTH? They could get a pic or autograph after the show too, plus a CLOSEUP look at Jake!! What's not to like about that experience??  ;D

If I can't get on a train....plane ....or automobile......I will walk to the theatre in London !
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #6121 on: March 22, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
What's interesting to me is that, apparently, NONE of the forum members near NYC have been to see the play! WTH? They could get a pic or autograph after the show too, plus a CLOSEUP look at Jake!! What's not to like about that experience??  ;D

I'm  not a theater person, In all my years by NYC, I think I've seen 1 Broadway play, and maybe 3 off Broadway plays.  They don't interest me, so I don't go.

In 2012 I went to NYC  to see Jake in "If There is I Haven't Found it Yet" when it was off-Broadway.  I saw Jake onstage 2 times, once where he did a Q&A with the audience, and then I got his autograph on my Oscar Consideration book.

That's all I need.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6122 on: April 04, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6123 on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:16 PM »
^^^ Yep, that's it!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6124 on: April 06, 2019, 08:10:40 AM »
Poor Jake, ya'll are gonna wear the poor guy OUT!!  ;D :o :P :laugh:

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6125 on: April 12, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
Finally! A TV series!

"Jake Gyllenhaal will star in and executive produce a limited series based on the Gary Shteyngart novel “Lake Success” that is currently in development at HBO.

Should the project go to series, it would mark Gyllenhaal’s first leading role in a television series. He will executive produce along with Riva Marker through their Nine Stories production banner along with Endeavor Content."

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/jake-gyllenhaal-lake-success-hbo-gary-shteyngart-1203187128/
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #6126 on: April 12, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
                                                         ^^^^

Pleeease don't let only be available on Sky...I don't have Sky  :(

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6127 on: April 13, 2019, 12:56:34 AM »
Nooo, I can't watch HBO!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6128 on: April 13, 2019, 02:18:56 AM »
Me neither - but no doubt it'll be available to watch somewhere else... if we wait long enough  :(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6129 on: April 13, 2019, 12:13:56 PM »
^^^

Besides all that I looked up the synopsis of this novel and now the series totally disinterests me.

A couple quotes from the plot synopsis:

"If you don't like books where you dislike the main characters, this is one to steer clear of."

"The story of a hedge fund manager's journey of self-discovery is timely and true – and absolutely comfortless."

Frankly, I'm really tired of stories about business people and bank people and Wall Street people and their money
hungry practices. I've come to believe over the years all business people are, at the very least, a pain in the ass,
and at the most, non-redemptive.  Why would I want to see a "series" about it, much less a film. Even if it stars
Jake.  I'm beginning to think he's got some wish to sabotage his career.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #6130 on: April 13, 2019, 02:19:41 PM »
                                                        ^^^

Oh dear !   :-\                                                       

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #6131 on: April 14, 2019, 05:01:15 AM »
I'm beginning to think he's got some wish to sabotage his career.

I have to say I wasn't that keen on all of his choices in recent years. Had some serious doubts on 'Nightcrawler', 'Southpaw' and 'Okja' - and a couple of others as well.

I don't know. Most of the time Jake's performance is good or great, but the films itself seem too... I can't think of the right word. Not special enough, I guess. I often think Jake is too good for the movies he's in - yes, that's it.

The storyline of 'Stronger' was special, but the film felt a bit dishevelled unfortunately. Same for 'Everest'. 'Velvet Buzzsaw' surprised me in a good way, though!  ;D  I guite liked that one, even though it's not high art, of course.

I think the problem is that we've seen it all before. There are so few really unigue stories, it seems. Jake has yet to find a new once-in-a-lifetime role. I'll keep my fingers crossed for him.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #6132 on: April 14, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
                                                                ^^^^

Well said Jeannie. I get what you mean.
Perhaps if Jake didn't roll out movie after movie....and gave himself some time
to make better ...more interesting choices....he would eventually find a
pearl of a character...script...movie.

Offline UltraViolet

• Obsessed
« Reply #6133 on: April 14, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
So much negativity. I have enjoyed Jake in almost every role, and many movies where there was negative critical assessment. Even when Jake is in critically acclaimed roles, it seems like people don't enjoy it or give him credit.

Demolition is an example of a great Jake performance in a good movie. For whatever reason, it didn't catch on. But what a shame it would have been if Jake hadn't done that role.

Stronger is a critically acclaimed movie with an absolutely incredible central performance by Jake. What a shame it would have been if he hadn't done it.

Nightcrawler was a special movie - near universal acclaim and a lauded, singular performance.

The new role sounds like it could be a knockout. The novel has very good professional reviews and the majority of Amazon user reviews are also positive. But I'd hate to go against the pessimism and hope for the best.
Q: Your fans seem to worry that you're not happy. Are you happy?
Jake:  I would say, "Stop worrying about me and ask yourself."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6134 on: April 14, 2019, 03:47:35 PM »

--pessimism
         a tendency to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen; a lack of hope or confidence

I don't think my opinion of this upcoming series has anything to do with pessimism. I'm just not interested in that subject matter, no matter the quality of the product or who is in it.

I've often sampled things others have really liked that I might not choose to watch and been pleasantly surprised. But there are some things that are my personal interests, likes and dislikes, that I just know not to see. An example is the extremely popular and critically acclaimed Game of Thrones.  I just haven't any interest whatsoever in watching that. In a similar vein, I'm not interested in all those vampire series that were recently popular. There was one some friends of mine watched and when I visited once they wanted to watch the episode that night for some reason and asked if I'd mind. I acquiesced, but I knew beforehand this wasn't my cup of tea and it did not change my mind.

I was really interested in the news item that Jake was going to do a series!  But I'm not interested in watching him, or any actor really, just because.