The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 460796 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
Well we all know what this thread is all about, since we have been discussing here for awhile, but here is the original topic.

An opportunity for forum members to tell us what movie(s) you have seen recently. It's a great way to get reviews on new movies that came out as well as old ones that some may not have seen.  And if you went to see Brokeback Mountain again - well tell us that too!

Everyone knows the rules, so they all apply!

Carry on!! :D
If you don't impact someone, then this is all a waste.
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 03:57:49 AM »
A fresh new thread!

Well, I watched TETRO again, this time with the commentary by Francis Ford Coppola and Alden Ehrenreich.  Some commentaries are just annoying but this one was excellent.  One of the manything Coppola pointed out was the short end credits where only the cast is listed.  I always wondered why credits go on forever listing everyone and their assistants.  Who gives a rat's ass who catered the production anyway.  Apparently this habit of listing everyone involved started in the sixties when some low budget productions used credits to somewhat make up for the low pay.  Unfortunately it caught on...
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:45:27 AM »
I just knew you'd be the first one to post here, Gil!

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 03:14:46 AM »
A new Movie Thread....wow!

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 06:31:05 AM »
I can't remember if I posted about seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, but I just discovered that on the website for the film they have a feature where you can create your own avatar. It's kind of fun. You choose things like your head shape, skin colour, clothes, accessories, and then it creates a comic book-style image of yourself. Here's me: http://twitpic.com/2l561x

You can make your own here:
http://www.scottpilgrimthemovie.com/avatarCreator/
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »
That's cool canmark!  Did you see the film?
Was at you I saw who poted a reply n an article about a
gay minor league umpire?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »

-- Applause

I knew this was an early film from 1929, I probably remember it because of the musical with the
same title, so when I came across it last night I decided to watch it.  It's one of those backstage
stories that were prevalent in early sound films, but this one was superbly directed by
Rouben Mamoulian.  What a name!  Most of the early talkies are quite stagnant--they just
pointed the camera and let the actors sing, dance, talk or whatever, but this one is
different.  There are some amazing tracking shots, use of cuts, montages.  There is a
whole scene where a young chorus girl is followed by someone, ostensibly to do her
harm, and it's done only showing people's feet.

The story is about a chorus girl who has a child and sends her off to a Catholic school
so she'll be brought up right (!) and they meet years later and the girl becomes involved
with a sailor and the Broadway stage.  (Sounds "right" to me!)  It stars Helen Morgan.
If you're interested in early films I'd give this one a go, but you do have to be willing
to see them more in the context of film making and sensibilities of the time to fully
appreciate them.  I'm sure some people would just think they're boring now, but I find
looking at images of people from 80+ years ago fascinating.  Also, some of the scenes
were actually shot in New York City, particularly the waterfront, a scene on the Brooklyn
Bridge, a scene on a tall building with a city view and a subway station scene.  I don't
think it was mentioned what building they were on--this was before the Chrysler and
Empire State Buildings were built!

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 01:44:32 PM »
TWO Sandra Bullock movies.
28 Days and 2 Weeks Notice
I've seen both these before but enjoyed them immensely anyway. Sandy is terrific in both, with the cleaned up and very good looking Viggo Mortensen in the first and the wonderfully nonchalant as always Hugh Grant in the second. It's no wonder Sandy is known as America's sweetheart!
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 04:23:42 PM »
That's cool canmark!  Did you see the film?
Was at you I saw who poted a reply n an article about a
gay minor league umpire?

If it was "canmark" then it was probably me (although I'm not ruling out the possibility of an evil imposter  ;)). I do post as "canmark" on some other message boards.

I did see Scott Pilgrim. I thought it would have been OK as an indie flick, but it was fairly big budget ($60 mil. budget, which does not show in the film itself which looks decidedly, and not inappropriately, low budget) and so was a big box office disappointment ($27 mil. domestic gross so far). Famously set in Toronto, the film doesn't really show off the city as much I hoped. I did like Kieran Culkin as Wallace, Scott Pilgrim's (Michael Cera) gay roommate. The character was good, and Culkin was good.

I saw the film at the Cineplex Scotiabank theatre (which you actually see in the movie Kick-Ass), the same one fingered in a recent Toronto Film Festival/bedbug scare. Seems someone thought they got bitten by bedbugs while watching Scott Pilgim and told this to an out-of-town film critic who tweeted it... and next thing you know everyone from foreign media to Perez Hilton were reporting that one of the theatres being used in the upcoming film festival was infested with bedbugs. Not true. False alarm.

Toronto Star: How a Tweet sent Cineplex on bed bug scramble
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/855193--how-a-tweet-sent-cineplex-on-bed-bug-scramble?bn=1
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:05 AM »
Changing Lanes

with Ben Affleck and Sam Jackson

Excellent snapshot of self-importance leading to downfall and rude awakening.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »

-- Bus Stop

Was in the mood to see my favorite Marilyn Monroe performance again.  I've never seen the play version
but the film is an amped up widescreen 50's style romance between an inexperienced young cowboy
leaving his Montana hometown for the first time to participate in a Phoenix rodeo.  In Phoenix he meets
a rather jaded Marilyn Monroe on her way to "Hollywood and Vine" but working as a bar hostess.  The
cowboy falls head over heels for her and relentlessly pursues her.  Don Murray plays the cowboy and
I believe it was his first film.  Marilyn is simply stunning as the girl trying to avoid the young man's
advances, but is also oddly attracted to his innocence and naivete.  So as not to spoil it for anyone
who might be interested, I won't quote it, but Marilyn's line near the end of the film with him always
gets to me.  It's a sort of "I wish I knew how to quit you."  Why she wasn't oscar nominated for this
I don't know.  (Or Some Like It Hot, for that matter.)  The film is a bit naive itself, but it was made
in the 50's, so I have to forgive it that.  My all time favorite picture of Marilyn Monroe was taken in
a costume from this film, probably on the set somewhere.

Sometimes you wonder if you're reading things into a film, like I mentioned about the film noir film,
The Stranger, earlier this summer, or if it's there by design, but I noticed in one bar scene a group of
cowboys coming into a bar, the only guy who had another guy's arm around his shoulders was dressed
in a pink shirt.  Nevertheless, I liked it.  We all bring our own sensibilities to films.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 01:32:28 PM »

-- New York, New York

Last night I decided to see this film again, it's been over twenty years since I've seen it, I believe.
I've never read any reviews of this film, but I know when it came out it was pretty well panned.
On video they added in about 10-15 minutes of the "Happy Endings" production number that
had been edited out.

There are some films that I look at as wind-up toys.  They jump and twist and shout and turn and
after awhile you get kinda bored with them, but they still hold some odd fascination.  This film
is like that.  It's really a pretty routine story.  But a lot of films are.  Usually, though, they are cast with
likable stars that play characters you care about and don't  mind following them through a routine
story.  The biggest problem with this film is that you could give one whit about either of these people.
DeNiro comes on the scene like an arrogant jerk and is somehow fascinated by Francine, Liza, who wants
nothing to do with him anyway.  Instead of them parting ways, they get together because she does him
a favor and it's basically "they lived unhappily ever after" after that.

I don't know what Scorcese was thinking about when he made this film.  It has a lot of great set pieces.
The opening 25 minutes takes place on VJ Day on the streets of New York and a huge big band ballroom
and is fascinating.  The problem is that about 1 minute of actual plot is in that 25 minutes.  Some of the
movie was filmed in actual hotels and ballrooms and has a great period flavor, but then there are scenes
that are obviously filmed on soundstages, like a winter meeting in some stylized wood and a later scene at
a motor court where a car drives down a muddy road toward an obvious backdrop.  I noticed one scene
was filmed inside the Biltmore Hotel where a scene from The Sting was also filmed.

Scorcese directed DeNiro in a lot of these films over a ten year period where he played disaffected characters
that had little redeeming qualities that made you care what happened to them one way or the other.  Sometimes
they worked better than others, like Raging Bull, a real life character, or Taxi Driver, which a lot of people
admire more than I do.  In this 2 hr. 45 minute big band epic, you'd think you might care about him or her,
but you don't.  And when Liza sings, which should be memorable points in the film, you are mostly wondering
what that a-hole DeNiro is going to do to louse it up.  It's not until she decides to shed him completely and
sing the title tune that the movie soars, but that doesn't come until the last ten minutes.  By the way, how did
that song which has become such a standard, and probably was immediately--how did that song not even get
an oscar nomination for best song that year?

These were the nominees:

"Candle on the Water" from Pete's Dragon
"Nobody Does It Better" from The Spy Who Loved Me
"The Slipper and the Rose Waltz (He Danced with Me/She Danced with Me)"
"Someone's Waiting for You" from The Rescuers
"You Light Up My Life" from You Light Up My Life

Nothing probably would have beaten You Light Up My Life that year, a song that was so
overplayed during the year that the mere mention of the title now makes people cringe.
Maybe NY,NY was so panned that people just wanted it out of their memories that year,
because it got NO nominations and it certainly could have, not only for the song, but for
art direction, costumes and scoring, if nothing else.  But this gets even worse when you realize
that NONE of the songs from Saturday Night Fever, a huge movie hit, were nominated that year
either and those are classics of their genre.  This year has to be the nadir in terms of the best song
nominations.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:04 AM »

THE HEADLESS WOMAN (La mujer sin cabeza)
Argentina
Dir: Lucrecia Martel

In the past decade, there have been three great films about guilt, denial and the return of the repressed: Mike Leigh's Vera Drake in 2004, Michael Haneke's Hidden in 2005 – and this is the third, La Mujer Sin Cabeza, or The Headless Woman, directed by Lucrecia Martel and co-produced by Pedro and Agustín ­Almodóvar. It is a masterly, disturbing and deeply mysterious film about someone who strenuously conceals from ­herself the knowledge of her own guilt.

Each time I have seen it, this film has swirled residually in my subconscious for days, and each time I have witnessed exactly the same spectacle outside the cinema afterwards: knots of people ­excitably, grumpily arguing about it. Some denounce it for ­being boring, ­wilfully obscure arthouse stuff – and, yes, be warned, it is a ­difficult, challenging film – while others, like onlookers trying to piece together events leading up to a robbery, ­frantically ask each other what happened and where and how and why. Then there's a smaller group, including me, dazed and ­wondering if what we have seen is not a portrait of a guilty person, but rather the ­autobiographical and minutely realistic dream this person is having.

Full Review:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/18/the-headless-woman-review

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:37:51 PM by oilgun »
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 03:10:10 PM »
THE HEADLESS WOMAN (La mujer sin cabeza)
Argentina
Dir: Lucrecia Martel

Some denounce it for ­being boring, ­wilfully obscure arthouse stuff

That would be me.

Gee, I wonder why everyone is outside the theater arguing about it--because it doesn't make any sense?

I don't mind arty movies, but I don't like it when directors are purposely obtuse.

I watched the HBO film that won all the emmys this year, Temple Grandin.  It was
a very entertaining film about some usually tediously dealt with subjects.