The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 461060 times)

Offline All4one

• Expert
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »
Saturday Night Fever...thanks for te mention, Lyle.  Anyone else love it as much as I do...?
"One's enough"  A.P.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
Were the World Mine

I believe it was this one I saw. It had Robin Wright Penn and Colin Farell. What a great movie. Loved it Great performaces with all 3 main actors. Very sad yet powerful ending. I was amazed that Colin did that well. A great movie. I'm glad I Stumbled upon it on my trip. Worth viewing again.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 02:52:50 PM »
Saturday Night Fever...thanks for the mention, Lyle.  Anyone else love it as much as I do...?

Of course, if you were around then, whether one likes the film or not, the soundtrack was just
outstanding.  I have to say, I have never been a big fan of John Travolta, so I cannot say I
love Saturday Night Fever.  I went to college with Paul Pape, who plays one of his buddies
in the film, the one that sheds his pants on the Brooklyn Bridge.  I had no idea he was in it,
so imagine my surprise when I went to see it!

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
Were the World Mine

I believe it was this one I saw. It had Robin Wright Penn and Colin Farell.
What a great movie. Loved it Great performaces with all 3 main actors.
Very sad yet powerful ending. I was amazed that Colin did that well. A great movie.
I'm glad I Stumbled upon it on my trip. Worth viewing again.

Agree, Tom, I also liked the film and thought Colin was really good in it.
Also glad you had a nice time on your vacation!

Offline welles

• Experienced
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »
Were the World Mine

I believe it was this one I saw. It had Robin Wright Penn and Colin Farell. What a great movie. Loved it Great performaces with all 3 main actors. Very sad yet powerful ending. I was amazed that Colin did that well. A great movie. I'm glad I Stumbled upon it on my trip. Worth viewing again.

the name of this, tom, is actually 'a home at the end of the world.'  adapted from one of my favorite novels of all time by michael cunningham.  agree, good film and performances, but not so crazy about how they radically changed the ending. 

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »
the name of this, tom, is actually 'a home at the end of the world.'  adapted from one of my favorite novels of all time by michael cunningham.  agree, good film and performances, but not so crazy about how they radically changed the ending. 

Thanks for the clarification, welles!!

I have seen A HOME AT THE END OF THE WORLD (2004) and have also seen WERE THE WORLD MINE, and was trying to figure out which movie it was.

Here is WERE THE WORLD MINE (2008) and I liked it a lot as well!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476991/
If you don't impact someone, then this is all a waste.
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:57 AM »

Thanks for clarifying what movie it was. So, tell us how did they change the ending?

Offline welles

• Experienced
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 12:19:50 PM »
*spoiler alert*  'a home at the end of the world'

in both the book and the film, jonathan is concerned early on that he may have aids.  but in the book it's pretty much dropped early on and in the end it's actually a friend of the three who dies.  i guess they figured for the end of the film it would be stronger if they had jonathan die. i found the way the book handles it quite refreshing - the fact that you're thinking all along 'the guy who's certain he has aids is going to die' and then he doesn't.  

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 04:34:53 PM »

-- You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

This is Woody Allen's new film and I was very disappointed in it.  Aside from a couple laughs, it
seemed to me like there were a half dozen stories going on with none of them adequately tied
up at the end...which may be his point, after all, he opens and ends the film with a quote from
Shakespeare:  "Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon
the stage and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying
nothing."
  And, I would also add, not very interesting.  I also disliked the cinematography
immensely.  I have been wondering for years if Woody Allen's films would return to, as Shakespeare
would say, his "salad days" or if we'll just keep getting mild films of interest.  (He even has a book
author in this film with the same predicament.)  I like the title.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 03:27:04 AM »

When flying home from NYC via Zurich to Nice, we saw on the plane Rodrigo Garcia's movie

MOTHER AND CHILD.

Starring Naomi Watts and Annette Bening. Excellent and highly recommendable! Very moving.

I had already loved his film THINGS YOU CAN TELL JUST BY LOOKING AT HER, almost a decade ago.

The new one is less experimental and more mainstream, but still very intense. Fantastic portraits of women characters, and a good soundtrack. (Young mothers will have a difficult time watching it, though, I guess).

Now I just heard on the radio that M.A.C. just won the Festival of American Film in Deauville yesterday.

Well deserved, I have to say!
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 03:27:31 AM »

Oh, and I loved TETRO. We saw it quite a while ago.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 03:26:08 PM »

Naomi Watts was also in the Woody Allen movie.  I've never really cottoned to her.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »

I saw a new Stephen Frears film called Tamara Drewe.
I'd give it a thumbs up.

I watched Myra Breckinridge] last night, too.  It definitely is one with the book,
however--the story (novel) is told by Myra and all of Myra's thoughts and insights into
what she is doing and why she is doing it are important to the telling.  In a film like this
there isn't any way to explain these things without being didactic and I can imagine
someone watching this film who hasn't read the book would just think it cuckoo and
outlandish for it's own sake.  It was better than I'd been led to believe, that's for sure,
but I do think reading the book first before seeing it would be better.

It was filmed in some locations I'm quite familiar with, too, particularly the streets around
Century City, which I used to frequent quite often.  Who knew Myra was filmed right there?

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »

Wendy and Lucy (2008)
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »

Octopussy (1983) not the greatest bond film ever, but Roger Moore sure was the best Bond!
John 'Marz' Wayne