The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 461628 times)

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »
Oh, and I loved TETRO. We saw it quite a while ago.

Yay!  :-*

I tried watching SHUTTER ISLAND again but again I couldn't get through it.  Leo is good in it but I just find the film so dam tedious to watch that I fall asleep every time.  This time I got all the way to Patricia Clarkson in the cave but her never ending speech did me in.  Still don't know what the 'twist' is.  Leo is obviously completely insane...

Caught the first half of the animated film PONYO ( which I stupidly thought was about a pony) and I was completely seduced.  What a wonderful film, an instant children's classic.

"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »

I have heard that people who like Miyazaki don't really like Ponyo.
I know two friends of mine who have liked all his others did not like that one.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »

I saw a film called The Extra Man that has Paul Dano, Kevin Kline,
John C. Reilly and Katie Holmes in it.  The advertised synopsis is that it's
about a college professor who rents out a room to a young man who is
interested in cross dressing and the professor teaches him about life and
his ways of the world.

This film is like a plane taking off, but it never reaches altitude.  There's a lot going
for it...most of the characters in it are quirky but appealing in many ways, but we
never really understand Kline's point of view--it seems to veer without any explanation.
I felt like the film didn't reach any sense of fulfillment, though it pretends it does.
But, like the Woody Allen movie with the Shakespeare quote I mentioned previously,
this film also ends on a quote from Kline which he utters early on in the film and Paul Dano
quotes at the end (I'm probably paraphrasing it):  "There.  There you have it.  What do
you have?"

Indeed.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
Naomi Watts was also in the Woody Allen movie.  I've never really cottoned to her.

I'm very fond of her and her acting. I think she was fabulous in Lynch's Mulholland Drive, amongst other achievements.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »

Shutter Island bored me do death.

Mother and Child, the movie I was mentioning last week, has just won the Festival of American Films here in France, in Deauville.

Quite a prestigious award.

Well deserved, I think.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »
Sunshine with Ralph Fiennes. About a Hungarian Jewish family and their lives in the 20th century.  I am planning a trip to Budapest and the film was recommended.  It was very long and sometimes confusing but I do feel like I am more educated on the region and it's people.  I love the quote by one of the characters "Politics has made a mess of our lives"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
I like the reverse of that quote... "Our lives have made a mess of politics."
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:37 PM »
Sunshine with Ralph Fiennes. About a Hungarian Jewish family and their lives in the 20th century.  I am planning a trip to Budapest and the film was recommended.  It was very long and sometimes confusing but I do feel like I am more educated on the rvegion and it's people.  I love the quote by one of the characters "Politics has made a mess of our lives".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0145503/

Passion -- I didn't know people watched this film ever!  This is one of those films that in any other year,
might have gotten some attention and become a best picture nominee (I mean, if The Reader can, this one
could, too).  But it had a bad release pattern in the middle of summer and who knows?  I really liked the
film.  I don't remember it being confusing, but I saw it on a huge movie screen in the Century Plitt theaters.
Glad to see it mentioned here.  Bad thing:  There are several films with the title of "Sunshine."

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 03:22:14 PM »
I would have liked to have seen Sunshine on the big screen but I was watching late at night on a small TV....probably why I had to rewind several times because either I dosed off or got distracted! So maybe confusing wasn't the right word.  I love Ralph Fiennes but not sure I liked him playing so many characters but he did play them all well.  James Frain was also in the film and I know him most recently for his role in True Blood so I kept imagining his fangs popping out during the film!  HaHa!  (completely unrelated but funny to me!)  I really wouldn't have heard of the film but because I am reading tons about Hungary right now....one book mentioned it as being a good film....I was glad I found it and I recommend it!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 03:16:24 AM »
Shutter Island bored me do death.

Mother and Child, the movie I was mentioning last week, has just won the Festival of American Films here in France, in Deauville.

Quite a prestigious award.

Well deserved, I think.

I loved Shutter Island
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »

we finally saw PROOF tonight

had bought the DVD already a couple of years ago, but never got the chance to watch it

remarkably good! I was quite surprised

unsatisfactory ending, though

Jake was great in it and well cast

WISE UP

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
Watched "The Art of the STEAL" > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1326733/

> A documentary about the blatant disregard of the will and legal requirements Dr. Albert Barnes conferred to his foundation to maintain HIS now estimated 25+BILLION $ art collection as a school and not a museum and tourist profit center for the city of Philadelphia.   I've seen his collection on his premises as he intended and it quiet overwhelming and amazing.  The rooms are lined with masterpieces he collected from the now masters before the rest of the snobby art world even noticed them.  You can easily spend a day in this place admiring the collection.  

The outline of the documentary is how the rich and VERY powerful in Philadelphia, along with the governors and city leaders and trustees have conspired, lied and misrepresented themselves and their intentions for years to gain control of the collection and move it into the downtown Philadelphia area - something he clearly prohibited from ever happening in his will / foundation.   The man was far ahead of his time and it saddens me to see this happening.

Rent the film, it is interesting but better still, go see the collection before it is moved - but be forewarned, tickets are limited so schedule well in advance.

Watched "Capitalism:  A Love Story" > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1232207/

> A Michael Moore film exposing the hidden connections between Wall Street Greed and Washington politics.  Either you love or hate Moore's films.  I always find them informative as he tries to speak for the little guys, the underdogs.  Everyone in the US should really watch this film and then reflect on the past years of financial crisis and look who's a$$ got covered and who's a$$ gets the boot. It is sadly depressing that the real powers have usurped capitalism, made it something evil, cloaked themselves in honorable  positions pretending to represent the people in a democracy, when in reality they cater to the wall street barons. Look no further than the recent Supreme Court decision allowing corporations a voice and unlimited contributions for the latest move to maintain their power.  

Watched "IOU USA" > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963807/

> A frank, in your face film about the growing national debt - showing how it has varied since the country's founding and been paid down several times by responsible government and politicians - something we have not had since before Regan. Most troubling is the nearly doubling of the federal deficit during the rein of Bush from 2000 - 2008, with his unaffordable tax cuts and someone else will pay the bill later policies.  While this is film contains a very troubling message, the American public really needs to sober up and watch this film and understand the impacts of Bush's policies,  the current policies, coupled with the upcoming promises made to fund Social Security, Medicare AB and D and Medicaid to the aging baby boomers and our continued expansion of a significant trade imbalance. 

The message is sobering. We are on a collision course with unsustainable and unpayable commitments and debt to our major creditors of China, Japan and Germany and that if we do not reverse course with reduced spending and reasonable tax increases to pay for our borrowing, our nation will fail like Rome and others who have run down this same road before.   

Today, each person in the US owes something like $190,000 each on the nearly 10 TRILLION dollars of debt and it is rapidly climbing.

Warning:  You may be very angry / motivated after watching these three films.

Later, Vincent
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 07:24:30 AM by gattaca »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »
Still am not sure where to put this, as it is a short, but stumbled upon it when on YouTube the other night.
It is just too good not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mEn09oLKCQ

It took me several viewings to get all the nuances and I still see new things every time I watch it.
It is very subtle and very good.
If you don't impact someone, then this is all a waste.
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
Still am not sure where to put this, as it is a short, but stumbled upon it when on YouTube the other night.
It is just too good not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mEn09oLKCQ

It took me several viewings to get all the nuances and I still see new things every time I watch it.
It is very subtle and very good.

Linda, that was beautiful.  One of the viewers on YouTube described the film as 'bittersweet,' and it was.  I loved how the old  man recaptured his experience and then, when he sees the two young dads linking fingers,  he manages a very slight, but telling smile. Lovely!
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »

I saw Legend of the Guardians-The Owls of Ga 'Hoole yesterday.  Of all the animated
films I have seen this year, this was my least favorite.  I didn't really care for the story, the
animation, the score, not much at all.