The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 495066 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »

Saw KINSEY yesterday. Astonishingly good and quite satisfying.

Peter Sarsgaard is gorgeous and sexy and ambiguous in it, and Laura Linney marvellous - like always.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »

Peter Sarsgaard is gorgeous and sexy and ambiguous in it, and Laura Linney marvellous - like always.

Agree...very good movie.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 09:16:48 PM »

with horse. :D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »

'The White Ribbon,' a German film set in the pre-WWI period in Germany directed by Michael Haneke and winner of the Palm d'or and other awards. Someone here recommended it, sorry I don't remember who, but it is a black and white film that is unsettling and intense. Strange things happen in a small village, and the school master/narrator tells the story. Children are abused and go missing, women are abused and one goes missing. Although the doctor, judge and wealthy landowner baron seem to be in control of the village, nothing is settled and the ending leaves the audience to wonder.  I was spellbound by this film, and I found the subtitles followed the story and dialogue well.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:16:14 PM by Nikki »
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2010, 07:37:29 PM »
Sorry I haven't had time to fully re-cap the movies I saw at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), but here's one movie that was quite good.

I was impressed with the directorial voice of Mike Mills' Beginners, a wistful and charming film about love. Ewan McGregor plays a graphic artist who is questioning his own past relationships and why they have never lasted. He meets a woman, a French actress (Melanie Laurent) who is similarly inclined to fall in and out of relationships and one senses that neither of them can fully commit themselves to love--always having one eye on the door, so to speak. But throughout this, Ewan's character reflects on his parents--particularly his father (Christopher Plummer), who came out as gay at 75 (following the death of his wife) and begins to live an open and vital and zestful life. (Interestingly, Mills' own father came out as gay at 75 and was clearly the model for the Plummer character.) The film has wonderful warmth and humor, and also has these fascinating segments where he shows images/photos reflecting life and love and society and responsibility in certain periods in time.

Beginners was acquired by Focus Features during TIFF, and it's expected to be released next year. I definitely want to see this movie again, as it's one you want to think about and savour.

Synopsis: http://www.tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/beginners
Article: http://www.indiewire.com/article/tiff_10_mike_mills_on_beginners_a_love_letter_to_his_father/
Video interview with director Mike Mills: http://www.tribute.ca/interviews/Mike+Mills/starchat/1095
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2010, 08:35:56 PM »
I watched Monster's Ball for the 1st time, Heath is good in the film. For me, it was a case of "It's a really small world sometimes, or Fate played it's full hand for the Halle Berry and Billy Bob Thornton characters"...........I guess that was Halle Berry's character's final thought, it was Fate that brought her there..........can't believe Heath or Peter Boyle weren't serious award contenders for supporting roles.............

Offline Tonkatodd

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »

'The White Ribbon,' a German film set in the pre-WWII period in Germany directed by Michael Haneke and winner of the Palm d'or and other awards. Someone here recommended it, sorry I don't remember who, but it is a black and white film that is unsettling and intense. Strange things happen in a small village, and the school master/narrator tells the story. Children are abused and go missing, women are abused and one goes missing. Although the doctor, judge and wealthy landowner baron seem to be in control of the village, nothing is settled and the ending leaves the audience to wonder.  I was spellbound by this film, and I found the subtitles followed the story and dialogue well.  

Nikki,

I was at least one person who recommended "The White Ribbon" on the forum...it was fascinating and frightening, wasn't it? (Below is what what I wrote back in July.) I saw "The Last Station" and liked it too (I remember your review liking it...except for Mr. McAvoy which I can appretiate...H'wood always thinks there has to be a young romance to keep our attention when actually it hinders most stories if it is shoe horned in to it for no reason. His character was meant as our entrance in to the story, someone who was witness to the love and madness and a pawn of those seeking power. That is all.

The White Ribbon

Germany's entry for Best Foreign Language film at last year's Academy Awards, is as lovely to look at as a Rembrandt etching (beautifully filmed in black and white) and as quietly disturbing as any film I have ever seen.

The Austrian Writer/Director Michael Haneke tells a haunting story of the decline of the feudal system in a small town in Germany just before the first world war. His supposition is that here is where the seeds of Nazi fanaticism were sewn, and the bitterness of losing WWI and the grinding depression that followed were just fuel added to a fire that was already burning.

It is a chilling reminder that we are not born with empathy, humanity and morality, just the capacity for learning them. They must be taught or our very existence could hang in the balance.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 09:51:35 PM by Tonkatodd »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2010, 01:27:29 AM »
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2010, 08:32:53 AM »
???

Horse?

According to the film Kinsey was hung like one.. ;)
"In every way, there is no place like space" - Trump

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 08:34:24 AM »
I'm still here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1356864/
http://www.imstillheremovie.com/

Oh..my..Gee!

To start with, I was not sure how much I wanted to/should watch this controversial so-called 'mock'umentary film.
I was'nt even sure weather I was a fan of Joaquin Phoenix as an actor before, though I 'cared' what really happend to him lately.  ???
But after the screening, I was so glad that I gave in.

The film was powerful with row emotions and carefully balanced, showing fascinating aspects of 'celebrity life style' and a young man's struggle of his identity crisis.

I was emotionally very affected by it for a while though I did not feel anything 'heavy' while I was watching at all.
Just fascinating.

This could be possibly a sort of film which you either love or hate.

But I've been thinking about this film for a long time since and also think that Casey Affleck (his directorial debut) and Joaquin Phoenix had done something nobody had done it before on screen.

I've been thinking about this famous Oscar Wilde's quote after the screening.  

Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.

I was not surprised at all to find that Joaquin has now got a flood of film offers after this, reportedly.
He has definitely got something in him to be able to offer on screen. 8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:25:01 AM by pickle »
"I lived in the Twilight world for about four years. That's a very long time that demands a lot of patience on your part.
"Thank God, I had the opportunity to do smaller movies like The Runaways, Welcome to the Rileys and On the Road in between. Otherwise I'd probably have turned mad."
 Kristen Stewart

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2010, 12:28:51 PM »
According to the film Kinsey was hung like one.. ;)

I don't remember this - was it mentioned or shown?

I only remember the sexy Peter.

;D

(And he certainly is NOT hung, as one could see.)

WISE UP

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »
I don't remember this - was it mentioned or shown?

I only remember the sexy Peter.

;D

(And he certainly is NOT hung, as one could see.)

His penis wasn't shown but it was mentioned at length, no pun intended.  Kinsey and his wife (Linney) visit a doctor because their lovemaking is painful and at one point the doc asks how big his penis is and motions with his hands about the size of an average member "like this?". (Perhaps he even used a ruler?) He and Linney both shake their heads no, so he widens the gap a bit, and again it wasn't enough so he continues until his hands are about a foot apart and they both nod "Yes that's about right." I'm paraphrasing of course.  But being hung like a squirrel myself, I remember these things ;)
"In every way, there is no place like space" - Trump

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2010, 05:23:45 PM »
Oilgun....you crack me up!  We need you on the Survivor Thread!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
Some other good films I saw at the Toronto Film Festival:

My favourite film was Danny Boyle's visceral drama 127 Hours. Based on the true story of Aron Ralston, a man whose arm was pinned under a boulder in the Utah desert, Boyle turns what seems might be a static drama into a tense and compelling (and cathartic) story. James Franco is in almost every second of the film and he is able to make you appreciate, admire and root for a man who had to cut off his own arm at the elbow in order to survive. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/127hours/

The King's Speech won the People's Choice Award and you will be seeing more of this film come Oscar time. Based on the simple, true life story of the man who would be King George VI (Queen Elizabeth II's father) overcoming a speech impediment. Again, doesn't sound like it would make for a moving, feel good film, but crafty writing and compelling performances by Colin Firth as the would-be king (Helena Bonham Carter is great as his wife) and Geoffrey Rush as the unconventional Australia speech therapist who would help and befriend the king, make for a very heartwarming and funny film. http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/kingsspeech

I saw two very smart teen comedies at TIFF: Easy A, which is now out in theatres, and Dirty Girl. Dirty Girl is set in 1980's Oklahoma and features the high school "dirty girl", Danielle, thrown together with a chubby gay boy, Clarke They become fast friends and soon it becomes a hilarious road movie as the two go in search of Danielle's missing father. Funny and with a great '80's soundtrack (Pat Benatar, Melissa Manchester), a totally fun movie. http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/dirtygirl

Three (Drei) concerns Hanna and Simon, a professional couple in Berlin who, while they stimulate each other with intellect and love, find the passion has gone from their relationship. Then along comes Adam. Unwittingly, both Hanna and Simon begin affairs with Adam, and yet this only seems to strengthen their relationship with each other. Ultimately, all three find out about who's sleeping with who (in a very funny scene), and all three are able to work out their differences. Perhaps it won't win over everyone, but I quite liked it. http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/three

Never Let Me Go is based on the dystopian novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's set in the recent past and initially seems like it takes place in the normal world of an English boarding school. The film focusses on three individuals (as young adults they are played by Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley) who grow up together understanding, uncertainly, this special fate that is in store for them and the others at this school. The film is about what we make of our relationships in the limited time we have on earth. It's beautifully filmed. Contemplative. Meditative. Again, this film might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/neverletmego/

Here are the pictures I took at TIFF. Some of my favourite celebrity sightings this year: Helen Mirren, Sam Worthington, Nicole Kidman, Carey Mulligan (she's so lovely), Dominic Cooper, Bruce Springsteen, Woody Allen and Freida Pinto (absolutely gorgeous).

Part 1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmark/sets/72157624672183736/show/
Part 2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmark/sets/72157624966012276/show/
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 06:41:24 PM by canmark »
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2010, 08:21:26 PM »

'The White Ribbon,' a German film set in the pre-WWII period in Germany directed by Michael Haneke and winner of the Palm d'or and other awards. Someone here recommended it, sorry I don't remember who, but it is a black and white film that is unsettling and intense. Strange things happen in a small village, and the school master/narrator tells the story. Children are abused and go missing, women are abused and one goes missing. Although the doctor, judge and wealthy landowner baron seem to be in control of the village, nothing is settled and the ending leaves the audience to wonder.  I was spellbound by this film, and I found the subtitles followed the story and dialogue well. 

Thanks for the recommendation, Nikki. I wanted to go to a once-only screening at Chulalongkorn University last month, but intense monsoon storms and traffic meant that we didn't make it. I'll have to catch up with it on DVD some time.