The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 474157 times)

Offline Rob in Puyallup

• Yogis Boo-Boo
  • Obsessed
  • Ten Year Forum Member. Do I get a pin?
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:55 PM »
I don't remember this - was it mentioned or shown?

I only remember the sexy Peter.

;D

(And he certainly is NOT hung, as one could see.)

Still very nice to see, though!   ;D
Old Brokeback got me good...

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2010, 03:10:29 PM »
His penis wasn't shown but it was mentioned at length, no pun intended.  Kinsey and his wife (Linney) visit a doctor because their lovemaking is painful and at one point the doc asks how big his penis is and motions with his hands about the size of an average member "like this?". (Perhaps he even used a ruler?) He and Linney both shake their heads no, so he widens the gap a bit, and again it wasn't enough so he continues until his hands are about a foot apart and they both nod "Yes that's about right." I'm paraphrasing of course.  But being hung like a squirrel myself, I remember these things ;)

True - I remember very well.

But they never explained how they "solved" the problem for his wife.

No wonder his assistant was eager to do him...

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »
Still very nice to see, though!   ;D

Oh, certainly! Peter is a gorgeous man.

WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
Never Let Me Go is based on the dystopian novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's set in the recent past and initially seems like it takes place in the normal world of an English boarding school. The film focusses on three individuals (as young adults they are played by Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley) who grow up together understanding, uncertainly, this special fate that is in store for them and the others at this school. The film is about what we make of our relationships in the limited time we have on earth. It's beautifully filmed. Contemplative. Meditative. Again, this film might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/neverletmego/

Thank you for all these precious informations!

Never Let Me Go was one of the best books I've read in my entire life. Stunning, and shocking too. And extremely well written.

No I really wonder: should I watch this movie or shouldn't I? Given that KK stars in it, maybe not.

:)

WISE UP

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »

Never Let Me Go is based on the dystopian novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's set in the recent past and initially seems like it takes place in the normal world of an English boarding school. The film focusses on three individuals (as young adults they are played by Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley) who grow up together understanding, uncertainly, this special fate that is in store for them and the others at this school. The film is about what we make of our relationships in the limited time we have on earth. It's beautifully filmed. Contemplative. Meditative. Again, this film might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I liked it. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/neverletmego/

Mark, I read the book a few years ago and was immediately drawn in.  I don't usually go for fantasy or scifi, but I couldn't put it down. It's unusual and imaginative and, you're right, it's not for everyone.  I look forward to the film if it's half as good.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
Nikki,

I was at least one person who recommended "The White Ribbon" on the forum...it was fascinating and frightening, wasn't it? (Below is what what I wrote back in July.) I saw "The Last Station" and liked it too (I remember your review liking it...except for Mr. McAvoy which I can appretiate...H'wood always thinks there has to be a young romance to keep our attention when actually it hinders most stories it it shoe horned in to. His character was meant as our entrance in to the story, someone who was witness to the love and madness and a pawn of those seeking power. That is all.

The White Ribbon

Germany's entry for Best Foreign Language film at last year's Academy Awards, is as lovely to look at as a Rembrandt etching (beautifully filmed in black and white) and as quietly disturbing as any film I have ever seen.

The Austrian Writer/Director Michael Haneke tells a haunting story of the decline of the feudal system in a small town in Germany just before the first world war. His supposition is that here is where the seeds of Nazi fanaticism were sewn, and the bitterness of losing WWI and the grinding depression that followed were just fuel added to a fire that was already burning.

It is a chilling reminder that we are not born with empathy, humanity and morality, just the capacity for learning them. They must be taught or our very existence could hang in the balance.

Thanks Todd for reminding me that it was you.  Also, I meant to correct my post above -- it was preWWI not II.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2010, 05:18:41 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, Nikki. I wanted to go to a once-only screening at Chulalongkorn University last month, but intense monsoon storms and traffic meant that we didn't make it. I'll have to catch up with it on DVD some time.

Tony, I think you'd like it.  Do you have a version of Netflix in BK?  You can order on the 'net and they send the film of your choice, and you just have to mail it back -- no muss, no fuss.

Offline canmark

• Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2010, 07:39:29 PM »
Re: Never Let Me Go

During the Q&A with both the screenwriter and Kazuo Ishiguro himself, some members of the audience who had read the book (I haven't) seemed to be hung up on the differences between the book and the movie adaptation. I think the screenwriter wanted to make clear that the film is an adaptation of the book, and it can't--and shouldn't--try to be the same. Also, I've noticed that some of the reviews of the film give away certain details of this special world that they are living in--and I have tried not to do that. Even though much of this information is revealed early in the film, I think it's better to not know in advance. I think it's best to learn like the characters learn--thinking that their life is normal, and only later realizing that it is something different. It was either the director or the screenwriter who said he didn't want the film to be like the Sixth Sense where there is a surprise twist at the end. Nor did he want the audience to be guessing "Are they or aren't they cl----?" That aspect is not important. I think Ishiguro said it's about accepting your fate and living your life as it is. And the life that those characters lead is not really that different from anybody else's.

Edit to add: here's video from the press conference for Never Let Me Go from TIFF
http://media.tiff.net:8080/player.aspx?video=Never-Let-Me-Go-Press-Conferen.flv

Anyways, here are some other movies I saw at TIFF:

Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan is one of the hot movies of the season. It's a psychological thriller about a ballet dancer (Natalie Portman) driven over the edge by the pressure of being named the lead in Swan Lake. While I liked the wild theatricality (at one point Portman's arms transform into wings), the horror movie-like sequences were almost laughable. http://www.foxsearchlight.com/blackswan/

I saw three movies about parents dealing with tragedies involving their children. In Rabbit Hole, Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart are parents dealing with the death of their young son, accidentally struck by a teenage boy in a car. In Beautiful Boy, Michael Sheen and Maria Bello are parents who discover their son has committed a mass shooting at his college, ending his own life along with many others. Trust, directed by David Schwimmer, sees Clive Owen and Catherine Keener as the parents of a teenage girl who is molested by an Internet friend she thinks is a fellow teen, but is really a thirtysomething man. All three were good, but that's enough parental angst and guilt for me, thank you.

http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/rabbithole
http://www.beautifulboythemovie.com/
http://tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/trust

A couple of good documentaries: Force of Nature: the David Suzuki movie intercuts the life story of the famous Japanese-Canadian environmentalist and broadcaster with his Legacy lecture, which he is presently touring the country doing. Although I've read his autobiography and am familiar with his life story, I thought the film presented it well. Inside Job slickly and clearly looks at how the global financial crisis occurred and the Wall Street villains who caused it.

http://www.nfb.ca/playlist/force-nature-david-suzuki-movie/
http://www.sonyclassics.com/insidejob/

Veteran directors Mike Leigh and Woody Allen presented their latest, Another Year and You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger. Leigh uses his typical naturalistic style to show a year in the life of a happy middle aged couple, Tom and Gerri, and their not-so-happy friends and relatives. Set in London, Allen presents his typical neurotic and clued-out characters always searching for a kind of happiness that is just out of reach.

http://www.film4.com/features/article/another-year
http://www.sonyclassics.com/youwillmeetatalldarkstranger/

When it was shown in South Korea, parts of I Saw The Devil were cut by censors, but TIFF audiences got to see the the full and bloody violence in a movie about a cat-and-mouse game between a serial killer and an equally ruthless special agent. Good, but perhaps one or two scenes too many. http://www.isawthedevil.co.kr/

The First Grader is the exact opposite: a film filled with goodness. When the Kenyan gov't announces that primary education will be free, an 84-year old man turns up at school demanding to be taught to read. A feel good story made even better by the fact that it's based on a true story. This was the runner-up in the People's Choice Award voting. http://www.thefirstgrader-themovie.com/

Despite admirable casting (Helen Mirren, Tom Wilkinson), The Debt's story of young Israeli Mossad agents (incl. Sam Worthington) trying to capture a brutal Nazi doctor seemed overly familiar and done better in other movies. The horror movie-like ending didn't help much, either. http://www.debt-themovie.com/

The Conspirator likewise has a strong pedigree (directed by Robert Redford and starring Robin Wright and James McAvoy), but the true story of Mary Surratt who was charged as a conspirator in the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, seemed cheap looking (the cinematography made it seem like every scene was taking place in semi darkness) and full of none-too-subtle allusions to current politics.  http://www.tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiff/2010/conspirator

Stephen Frears' Tamara Drewe is an occassionally funny comedy of manners involving a writers retreat, an ugly duckling-turned-swanned (the titular Tamara Drewe), assorted suitors and a mix of lovers and cheaters. Good at times, I just wish it was more consistently funny. http://www.sonyclassics.com/tamaradrewe/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:14:02 AM by canmark »
... yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline welles

• Experienced
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
went to see 'cairo time' last night - patricia clarkson plans to meet her husband in cairo to see the pyramids, but when he's held up on business, he sends a friend, an egyptain from the area, to keep her company and and they soon find themselves attracted to each other.  leisurely paced, lushly photographed, i had a terrific time.  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 09:48:30 PM by welles »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »

"Cairo Time" sounds very intriguing.

I'll put it onto my to-see-list.

WISE UP

Offline Passion

• Cant have enough
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:45 PM »
Just watched The Backup Plan.....loved it.......KIDDING!  It totally sucked.....Lyle....not a quality chick flick!  Only continued watching because of the abs of the lead character!  And I just realized that the lead is the main guy from Hawaii Five-O....I knew he looked familiar!  And he is Australian....didn't know!  Alex O'Loughlin is HOT!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:19:07 PM by Passion »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:49 PM »
Yes, Passiom, he is one of the main reasons for watching Hawaii Five-0!!!!!
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Online tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 02:55:59 AM »
Tony, I think you'd like it.  Do you have a version of Netflix in BK?  You can order on the 'net and they send the film of your choice, and you just have to mail it back -- no muss, no fuss.
No, Nikki, there's nothing like netfix in BKK, to my knowledge. I daresay there might be a DVD in some shop - the lecturer at Chula screens his mini-festival movies using DVDs. Otherwise, I might be able to track it down next time I'm in Melbourne.

Offline pickle

• Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 04:58:07 PM »
Stephen Frears' Tamara Drewe is an occassionally funny comedy of manners involving a writers retreat, an ugly duckling-turned-swanned (the titular Tamara Drewe), assorted suitors and a mix of lovers and cheaters. Good at times, I just wish it was more consistently funny. http://www.sonyclassics.com/tamaradrewe/

I preferred it to Simon Pegg's Hot Fuzz than Tamara Drewe as a black comedy set in picturesque English (can be booooohring to live!) countryside but I reasonably enjoyed the film mainly because of the most of the actors' performance (Dominic Cooper is always good and  I loved the teenage girls in this) which I was expected from Stephen Frears film anyway. 8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 02:25:17 AM by pickle »
"I lived in the Twilight world for about four years. That's a very long time that demands a lot of patience on your part.
"Thank God, I had the opportunity to do smaller movies like The Runaways, Welcome to the Rileys and On the Road in between. Otherwise I'd probably have turned mad."
 Kristen Stewart

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 08:14:19 PM »
Forrest Gump
For the first time in many, many years... and for the second time period... and found it much less tedious than my original viewing. I was totally taken with Gary Sinise's performance, again. And liked the humor spread throughout. Found all the shootings interesting... some how, it didn't seem like so many when I was living through them.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.