The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 450337 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7050 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
I never post in the "What are you listening to" thread, but I did a short while ago because of  the music that was playing at my gym yesterday: Madonna's "Borderline" and "Like a Virgin," more pertinently here, "Hungry Eyes," by Eric Carmen.

"Hungry Eyes" got me thinking. It's been years since I last watched Dirty Dancing, but I never, ever want to see any of the sequels or remakes or whatever because, IMO, nobody can ever replace Patrick Swayze. Rest his soul, IMO he will own that role forever.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7051 on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
TCM is celebrating Sidney Poitier this month, I watched To Sir, With Love tonight. It was only second time I've seen it, but I really like it.

It's also fun to see "Our Hyacinth" when she was quite young.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7052 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Kitty Foyle, on TCM last night. I'd never seen it, but I knew Ginger Rogers won an Academy Award for it, apparently against some formidable competition, Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis.

It was OK. I think it's very much a film of its time, but still worth seeing. In my opinion, Ginger Rogers actually is very good (though I'm not sure I would have voted for her for the Oscar) and worth watching in this film, especially if you automatically think of Rogers as Fred Astaire's dancing partner and only as Fred Astaire's dancing partner.

For me, watching Ginger Rogers in this movie was a little bit like watching Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop (a movie I hope I can see again soon). I learned she was actually a better actress than I realized.

(Of course, Bus Stop has the added inducement of young Don Murray in skin tight jeans. ...  ::) )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7053 on: August 12, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Her competition was fierce!

ACTRESS
Bette Davis -- The Letter
Joan Fontaine -- Rebecca
Katharine Hepburn -- The Philadelphia Story
Ginger Rogers -- Kitty Foyle
Martha Scott -- Our Town

This was Ginger Rogers only nomination. Martha Scott's, too. (She was in The Turning Point, that I talked about recently.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7054 on: August 12, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Her competition was fierce!

ACTRESS
Bette Davis -- The Letter
Joan Fontaine -- Rebecca
Katharine Hepburn -- The Philadelphia Story
Ginger Rogers -- Kitty Foyle
Martha Scott -- Our Town

This was Ginger Rogers only nomination. Martha Scott's, too. (She was in The Turning Point, that I talked about recently.)

Thanks, Lyle. How could I forget Joan Fontaine in Rebecca?!? I love that film! Aaargh! Olivier was pretty darn goodlooking back then, too.
(I have a friend who loves to quote the line: "You'd better hurry, Mrs. Van Hopper. You'll miss your train."  :D )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7055 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
So, this month TCM celebrates one actor each day. I just played a little game with myself. Based on the listings in TV Guide, and assuming those listings are correct, I tried to see if I could guess which actor they were celebrating based on the film titles for that evening. TV Guide doesn't always list the star of the film, so this is why I could play this guessing game. I didn't do too badly, but I confess I had to verify some.

So, here's the list from tonight (8/12) through 8/20.

8/12: John Wayne (obvious from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Quiet Man)
8/13: Barbara Stanwyck (actually, TVG listed her with all the film titles)
8/14: Vanessa Redgrave
8/15: Ricardo Montalban ("De plane, de plane"  :D )
8/16: Elvis (Do I really need to give the last name?  :D )
8/17: Roz Russell
8/18: Rod Taylor (a hunk in his day; films shown for him include The Birds)
8/19: Angela Lansbury (Wow! What a lineup showing her diversity: The Harvey Girls, The Manchurian Candidate, Gaslight [her first film].)
8/20: Cary Grant (includes two with Kate Hepburn: The Philadelphia Story [OMG, I love that movie] and Holiday)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7056 on: August 12, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Night of the Living Dead - Darkest Dawn.

Basically an animated re-telling of the 1968 movie, this time set in NYC instead of a farm in Pennsylvania.

It was Ok, but sometimes it seemed the animation was dark, and hard to see what the action was, and the voices sounded like it was recorded by people on helium.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7057 on: Yesterday at 11:01:14 AM »
I looked up Gloria Grahame. I had no idea she had such an interesting career and life.

I like Gloria Grahame in several movies, like Crossfire (supporting actress nomination), Sudden Fear, and In a Lonely Place.
She won a supporting actress award for The Bad and the Beautiful which was out the same year as Sudden Fear. There was
a book out about her that I bought once called Suicide Blonde, but the first two chapters were so badly or awkwardly written
that I could not get interested in reading it any further.

On a retro channel a couple years ago, I was watching an episode of the series Burke's Law, where she had a guest starring role
and I was excited to see her name in the credits, but I thought her performance was pretty bad in it. It was around the time she
was going through a lot of bad publicity for marrying her ex-husband's son. She had been married to director Nicholas Ray, who
directed the above mentioned In a Lonely Place. Nicholas Ray caught her in bed with his son and divorced her. She later married
the son, Anthony Ray. I believe she was married 4 times, but that marriage to Anthony happened to be her longest lasting one.

I forgot, she was also really good in Oklahoma as Ado Annie!

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:14:20 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7058 on: Yesterday at 11:17:47 AM »

Hollywood is so glamorous...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7059 on: Yesterday at 11:50:50 AM »
On a retro channel a couple years ago, I was watching an episode of the series Burke's Law, where she had a guest starring role
and I was excited to see her name in the credits, but I thought her performance was pretty bad in it. It was around the time she
was going through a lot of bad publicity for marrying her ex-husband's son. She had been married to director Nicholas Ray, who
directed the above mentioned In a Lonely Place. Nicholas Ray caught her in bed with his son and divorced her. She later married
the son, Anthony Ray. I believe she was married 4 times, but that marriage to Anthony happened to be her longest lasting one.

I remember seeing the Burke's Law episode listed in her IMDb filmography. The biography there also discussed the business about Nicholas Ray and Anthony Ray.

She also appeared in a late-series episode of Daniel Boone. I remember recognizing her in the Boone episode from her role as Ado Annie in Oklahoma!

I forgot, she was also really good in Oklahoma as Ado Annie!

I thought she was, too.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7060 on: Yesterday at 04:53:38 PM »
8/18: Rod Taylor (a hunk in his day; films shown for him include The Birds)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7061 on: Today at 11:54:46 AM »

And they plucked out Suzanne Pleshett's eyes.