The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 457374 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7050 on: August 09, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »
I never post in the "What are you listening to" thread, but I did a short while ago because of  the music that was playing at my gym yesterday: Madonna's "Borderline" and "Like a Virgin," more pertinently here, "Hungry Eyes," by Eric Carmen.

"Hungry Eyes" got me thinking. It's been years since I last watched Dirty Dancing, but I never, ever want to see any of the sequels or remakes or whatever because, IMO, nobody can ever replace Patrick Swayze. Rest his soul, IMO he will own that role forever.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7051 on: August 10, 2017, 08:35:50 PM »
TCM is celebrating Sidney Poitier this month, I watched To Sir, With Love tonight. It was only second time I've seen it, but I really like it.

It's also fun to see "Our Hyacinth" when she was quite young.  :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7052 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:21 AM »
Kitty Foyle, on TCM last night. I'd never seen it, but I knew Ginger Rogers won an Academy Award for it, apparently against some formidable competition, Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis.

It was OK. I think it's very much a film of its time, but still worth seeing. In my opinion, Ginger Rogers actually is very good (though I'm not sure I would have voted for her for the Oscar) and worth watching in this film, especially if you automatically think of Rogers as Fred Astaire's dancing partner and only as Fred Astaire's dancing partner.

For me, watching Ginger Rogers in this movie was a little bit like watching Marilyn Monroe in Bus Stop (a movie I hope I can see again soon). I learned she was actually a better actress than I realized.

(Of course, Bus Stop has the added inducement of young Don Murray in skin tight jeans. ...  ::) )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7053 on: August 12, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »
Her competition was fierce!

ACTRESS
Bette Davis -- The Letter
Joan Fontaine -- Rebecca
Katharine Hepburn -- The Philadelphia Story
Ginger Rogers -- Kitty Foyle
Martha Scott -- Our Town

This was Ginger Rogers only nomination. Martha Scott's, too. (She was in The Turning Point, that I talked about recently.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7054 on: August 12, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
Her competition was fierce!

ACTRESS
Bette Davis -- The Letter
Joan Fontaine -- Rebecca
Katharine Hepburn -- The Philadelphia Story
Ginger Rogers -- Kitty Foyle
Martha Scott -- Our Town

This was Ginger Rogers only nomination. Martha Scott's, too. (She was in The Turning Point, that I talked about recently.)

Thanks, Lyle. How could I forget Joan Fontaine in Rebecca?!? I love that film! Aaargh! Olivier was pretty darn goodlooking back then, too.
(I have a friend who loves to quote the line: "You'd better hurry, Mrs. Van Hopper. You'll miss your train."  :D )

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7055 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »
So, this month TCM celebrates one actor each day. I just played a little game with myself. Based on the listings in TV Guide, and assuming those listings are correct, I tried to see if I could guess which actor they were celebrating based on the film titles for that evening. TV Guide doesn't always list the star of the film, so this is why I could play this guessing game. I didn't do too badly, but I confess I had to verify some.

So, here's the list from tonight (8/12) through 8/20.

8/12: John Wayne (obvious from The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and The Quiet Man)
8/13: Barbara Stanwyck (actually, TVG listed her with all the film titles)
8/14: Vanessa Redgrave
8/15: Ricardo Montalban ("De plane, de plane"  :D )
8/16: Elvis (Do I really need to give the last name?  :D )
8/17: Roz Russell
8/18: Rod Taylor (a hunk in his day; films shown for him include The Birds)
8/19: Angela Lansbury (Wow! What a lineup showing her diversity: The Harvey Girls, The Manchurian Candidate, Gaslight [her first film].)
8/20: Cary Grant (includes two with Kate Hepburn: The Philadelphia Story [OMG, I love that movie] and Holiday)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7056 on: August 12, 2017, 07:09:55 PM »
Night of the Living Dead - Darkest Dawn.

Basically an animated re-telling of the 1968 movie, this time set in NYC instead of a farm in Pennsylvania.

It was Ok, but sometimes it seemed the animation was dark, and hard to see what the action was, and the voices sounded like it was recorded by people on helium.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7057 on: August 15, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
I looked up Gloria Grahame. I had no idea she had such an interesting career and life.

I like Gloria Grahame in several movies, like Crossfire (supporting actress nomination), Sudden Fear, and In a Lonely Place.
She won a supporting actress award for The Bad and the Beautiful which was out the same year as Sudden Fear. There was
a book out about her that I bought once called Suicide Blonde, but the first two chapters were so badly or awkwardly written
that I could not get interested in reading it any further.

On a retro channel a couple years ago, I was watching an episode of the series Burke's Law, where she had a guest starring role
and I was excited to see her name in the credits, but I thought her performance was pretty bad in it. It was around the time she
was going through a lot of bad publicity for marrying her ex-husband's son. She had been married to director Nicholas Ray, who
directed the above mentioned In a Lonely Place. Nicholas Ray caught her in bed with his son and divorced her. She later married
the son, Anthony Ray. I believe she was married 4 times, but that marriage to Anthony happened to be her longest lasting one.

I forgot, she was also really good in Oklahoma as Ado Annie!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:14:20 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7058 on: August 15, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »

Hollywood is so glamorous...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7059 on: August 15, 2017, 11:50:50 AM »
On a retro channel a couple years ago, I was watching an episode of the series Burke's Law, where she had a guest starring role
and I was excited to see her name in the credits, but I thought her performance was pretty bad in it. It was around the time she
was going through a lot of bad publicity for marrying her ex-husband's son. She had been married to director Nicholas Ray, who
directed the above mentioned In a Lonely Place. Nicholas Ray caught her in bed with his son and divorced her. She later married
the son, Anthony Ray. I believe she was married 4 times, but that marriage to Anthony happened to be her longest lasting one.

I remember seeing the Burke's Law episode listed in her IMDb filmography. The biography there also discussed the business about Nicholas Ray and Anthony Ray.

She also appeared in a late-series episode of Daniel Boone. I remember recognizing her in the Boone episode from her role as Ado Annie in Oklahoma!

I forgot, she was also really good in Oklahoma as Ado Annie!

I thought she was, too.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7060 on: August 15, 2017, 04:53:38 PM »
8/18: Rod Taylor (a hunk in his day; films shown for him include The Birds)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7061 on: August 16, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »

And they plucked out Suzanne Pleshett's eyes.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #7062 on: August 17, 2017, 01:59:57 AM »
I went to see the Mexican film Sueño en otro idioma (I Dream in Another Language) because it was billed as a “fable of a linguist's quest to save a dying language” which it is, but it is more complex than that. The poster used by the Melbourne International Film Festival was a still of two handsome young men in their semi-translucent wet underwear, Isauro (Hoze Meléndez ) and Evaristo (Juan Pablo de Santiago)and a young woman Maria (Nicolasa Ortíz Monasterio) sitting together on a beach.

Scriptwriter Carlos Contreras was inspired by newspaper reports about an indigenous pre-conquest language in Mexico dying allegedly because the last two speakers refused to speak to each other. It was the germ of the film directed by his brother Ernesto. Their paternal grandmother was apparently a monolingual speaker of an endangered Zapotecan language and as small children they weren't able to come to terms with her speaking it rather than Spanish. They didn't learn her language.

In the film, a linguist, Martín (Fernando Álvarez Rebeil), travels to a remote settlement in the beautiful rainforested area of Los Tuxtlas in Vera Cruz Province, where the Contreras brothers were born and raised, to record the aged last three Zikril speakers. Zikril, a fictional language which the actors had to learn to speak fluently, was invented for the film because the makers didn't want the speakers of an existing endangered language to feel used.

The Contreras brothers had come to understand that every language has a unique and valuable perspective on the world, a concept which they convey metaphorically in their film through magical realism. Martín's lovely informant Doña Jacinta (Mónica Miguel) shows him how Zikril speakers communicate with birds and animals. Martín works with Doña Jacinta and the monolingual Don Isauro (José Manuel Poncelis) who lives alone as an outcast in the jungle. Martín and Don Isauro develop a deep friendship. When Doña Jacinta dies, the only way Martín can record Zikril conversation is to persuade Don Evaristo (Eligio Meléndez) to talk with Don Isauro, but they haven't spoken for 50 years and the bitter, conflicted widower Evaristo refuses.

The general understanding in the community is that the feud is because both were in love with the same woman, Maria, who married Evaristo.

In flashbacks the young Isauro and Jacinta are shown in an elementary Spanish class taught by the Catholic priest. Evaristo is bilingual in Zikril and Spanish and attends mass where the priest delivers the homily in Spanish. Maria is a monolingual Spanish speaker who rejects Isauro's gesture of friendship at the idyllic beach with a racist slur.

As the plot develops, the director shows us mainly through more extended flashbacks what really happened. It is not a simple tale of jealousy, but  a story of the wrecking of lives and relationships and the destruction of the indigenous language and culture with its more relaxed attitudes to sexuality

Although it does have bitter-sweet scenes and even moments of comedy, this is a heart-breaking, multi-layered film with great performances by the cast, lovely cinematography of the jungle by Tonatiuh Martínez.and a wonderful soundtrack of the wildlife, well deserving of its many awards.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7063 on: August 20, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

--The Dark Tower

I didn't think either of the two leads were that interesting. I wanted to slap Matthew McConaughey
just because it seemed he was goofing o his current persona. The lead boy was rather bland, too.
He has a friend who was an actor in last year's wonderful film Little Men. and the movie would've been
much better if he'd played the lead. Frankly, the movie itself isn't really that interesting, either, though
somewhat better than the dismal reviews would have you believe. It was only 90 minutes and even
that seemed way too long.

--Detroit

This film is based in the riots that took place there in 1967 and a particular appalling incident at the Algiers Motel.
The movie is eminently watchable and very harrowing, often maddening, throughout it's 2 hrs. and 19 mins.
It's quite relatable to the current events of today as well, but I have to then ask, to what end? It doesn't really
satisfy in the manner of feeling better about the villains getting just desserts or the victims having any justice,
because neither really do. The audience doesn't feel an awakening for possibly learning why things in 1967 aren't
much better in some places today. It brings up a whole lot of questions one can talk about, but provides little in the
way of hoping anything will ever get better, either. So it's more like a high end amusement park ride that might
thrill or scare or move the senses one way or another. It does focus a light on a horrific event, but it won't nourish
the soul or enlighten the mind, which is something in this time and place would be more helpful.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7064 on: August 26, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »

--Freud

A friend of mine who's read some books on Montgomery Clift wanted to go see a film that he was in
and hadn't seen before. Not too many have seen it. Montgomery Clift plays the title role of Freud in
a 1962 film.

It's an examination of Freud developing his ideas about psychology and promoting them to others in
the field. While it does have interesting scenes, overall it feels a bit didactic and can veer into some
comical territory. Scenes that may have been somewhat shocking (I can't imagine they were just
"shocking" to 1962 audiences) seem a bit ludicrous today. Also, the field of psychiatry often seems
like a con game to those who don't understand it, so making a film about subjects best left to some
textbooks is a dubious proposition.  Clift does himself well in the role, however, his next to last.

My friend told me that in one of the biographies he read, during the filming the director, John Huston,
found out about Clift being gay and that caused a lot of problems on the set, with Huston being a jerk,
the way my friend described it. Apparently during one day of filming the people on the set started taking
sides, half supporting Clift and half supporting Huston.

You wonder how it took so long for Huston to know Clift was gay, the rest of Hollywood seemed to know by then.
Also, the things I've heard about Huston don't make him come off as a gentleman by any means. He could be an
insufferable brute and a real jackass.

I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're interested in the field of psychology and/or want to see Montgomery Clift's
work.  Mostly the running time people see of this film is two hours, but the one we saw was the original release version
with a running time of 2 hrs. 19 mins. It is rarely seen anywhere, however, as is Clift's last film, The Defector.