The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 500190 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7155 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

Has anyone heard of a film called THE ROOM?  It was out briefly a couple years ago and has somehow gained audiences as one of the worst movies ever made. A reviewer called it "the Citizen Kane of bad movies."  I'm
seeing a film tonight called The Disaster Artist.

RT synopsis: The real life story of writer/director Tommy Wiseau, the man behind the film The Room, is brought to life, chronicling the odd film's troubled development and eventual cult success.

It stars both Franco's (of course it does) and I'm going because I was invited to a screening.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7156 on: October 07, 2017, 05:13:36 PM »
Has anyone heard of a film called THE ROOM?  It was out briefly a couple years ago and has somehow gained audiences as one of the worst movies ever made. A reviewer called it "the Citizen Kane of bad movies."  I'm
seeing a film tonight called The Disaster Artist.

RT synopsis: The real life story of writer/director Tommy Wiseau, the man behind the film The Room, is brought to life, chronicling the odd film's troubled development and eventual cult success.

It stars both Franco's (of course it does) and I'm going because I was invited to a screening.

"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullshit. I did not hit her. I did not. Oh, hi Mark"
"In every way, there is no place like space" - Trump

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7157 on: October 07, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
 The Armie Hammer film "Call me by Your Name" is apparently based on a novel by the same name. Has anyone read it? I saw it at the bookstore and considered buying it.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7158 on: October 07, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
The Armie Hammer film "Call me by Your Name" is apparently based on a novel by the same name. Has anyone read it? I saw it at the bookstore and considered buying it.

I read it back in 2008, Gil, and really enjoyed it. I was going to write more, but if you have not seen the movie, I don't want to ruin the story or the ending for you. I think you will enjoy the book. I did.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7159 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
I read it back in 2008, Gil, and really enjoyed it. I was going to write more, but if you have not seen the movie, I don't want to ruin the story or the ending for you. I think you will enjoy the book. I did.

Thank you. I'll get it tomorrow.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7160 on: October 08, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
Sometimes but not always our local PBS station runs a movie at 8 p.m. on Saturdays. They did last night, and they picked a good'un: From 1936, Libeled Lady, with William Powell, Myrna Loy, Spencer Tracy, and Jean Harlow. It's a good old screwball comedy, and as for the cast, it hardly got better than that in 1936. I'd seen it once before, and when I saw that's what they were showing, I had to watch it again.

Such a tragedy that Jean Harlow died so young. I love her movies. She could really be funny as well as dramatic.

Sort of like another "blonde bombshell" actress who much later died tragically and too young. ...  :(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7161 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »
"I did not hit her, it's not true, it's bullshit. I did not hit her. I did not. Oh, hi Mark"

:)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7162 on: October 08, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »

--The Disaster Artist

So I went to the SAG Screening of this movie last night and quite enjoyed it. In the vein of the film Ed Wood, where the movie looks at a less than stellar filmmaker and his film making, this is like that film. You do not have to have seen The Room at all before seeing the film, but you might want to afterwards. I'm sure there will be those who find it just too strange, but it won me over and I'd recommend it to anyone who has any interest in seeing it.

The SAG person who invited me did not know there was going to be a Q&A afterwards, so it was a surprise to find out James Franco, Dave Franco and Seth Rogen appeared to talk about the film and the character, Tommy Wiseau, that it's based on.

Will you see it Oilgun?

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7163 on: October 08, 2017, 03:30:12 PM »
--The Disaster Artist

So I went to the SAG Screening of this movie last night and quite enjoyed it. In the vein of the film Ed Wood, where the movie looks at a less than stellar filmmaker and his film making, this is like that film. You do not have to have seen The Room at all before seeing the film, but you might want to afterwards. I'm sure there will be those who find it just too strange, but it won me over and I'd recommend it to anyone who has any interest in seeing it.

The SAG person who invited me did not know there was going to be a Q&A afterwards, so it was a surprise to find out James Franco, Dave Franco and Seth Rogen appeared to talk about the film and the character, Tommy Wiseau, that it's based on.

Will you see it Oilgun?

You betcha I will, Lyle! I've only seen parts of The Room but Ed Wood is one of my favourite films.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7164 on: October 08, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
Vincent, I only saw Blade Runner once, when it came out in 1982, so I can't say I'm a fan. But
I'm going to see it next weekend.  The running time scares me. Two hours, forty-three minutes.

Lyle, yes, it is a bit long with 11+ minutes of credits.  I'd say it could use a 10-15 minute clip. There is only 1 scene where I think I would nip it but I understand why they did not.  Pay attention to the framing of every shot and listen carefully to every line.  The film has many reveals and words and scenes shown to you multiple times may look the same, but are they really?  I am sure it will take several viewings to really take it all in. 

I was on the edge of my seat from about 10 minutes in trying to "see" everything from corner to corner.  Visually gorgeous.  Ryan Gosling delivers some of the best work of his career and this may be Ford's best emotional work in many years. 

Even now 3 days later, I have parts looping in my head. 

If you do watch the original beforehand...then find "The Final Cut" version. 

V.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:10:55 PM by gattaca »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7165 on: October 08, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »
Just saw The Return of Dracula (1958) on TCM. I understand this is a low-budget flick, but I think it delivers the goods. Heretofore, Francis Lederer, who played Dracula, was only a name to me, but I thought he was very good--wonderfully creepy in the role. (He must have been an amazing individual, with quite an interesting life; served in the Austro-Hungarian Imperial Army in World War I; got rich on California real estate; died aged 100, and was still teaching acting a week before he died; look him up at IMDb.)

Spoiler alert: This film succeeds in being really creepy, and, maybe this is unique for a vampire movie (?), it's creepy yet not once do you see fangs!

While watching this film, I found myself focusing closely on the score, and I realized how much the music can contribute to a low-budget picture.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7166 on: October 09, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
You betcha I will, Lyle! I've only seen parts of The Room but Ed Wood is one of my favorite films.

I like Ed Wood, too.  Will wait for your rview of The Disaster Artist.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7167 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
11 minutes of credits.

Just in case my friend wants to leave, is there any reason to stay through the credits? I usually like to, becasue you never know if there's a scene or something inserted in them.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7168 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:53 AM »
Nope.  No teasers.  Just credits.

Also see this cool app --> http://runpee.com/

It tells you 1) the best time to go whiz   2) if there is anything extra in the credits...   
The films are usually updated w/in 24 hour of release worldwide.  For instance, for Blade Runner 2049, we saw the film on TH night 10/5 at 19:15 but opening day was FR 10/6 worldwide so reports from overseas were compiled by the time we were outta the film... 
Very handy app to have on your phone.
V. 

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7169 on: October 11, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »

^^^

There's always an app for that it seems!