The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 453708 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7170 on: October 09, 2017, 10:28:50 AM »
11 minutes of credits.

Just in case my friend wants to leave, is there any reason to stay through the credits? I usually like to, becasue you never know if there's a scene or something inserted in them.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #7171 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:53 AM »
Nope.  No teasers.  Just credits.

Also see this cool app --> http://runpee.com/

It tells you 1) the best time to go whiz   2) if there is anything extra in the credits...   
The films are usually updated w/in 24 hour of release worldwide.  For instance, for Blade Runner 2049, we saw the film on TH night 10/5 at 19:15 but opening day was FR 10/6 worldwide so reports from overseas were compiled by the time we were outta the film... 
Very handy app to have on your phone.
V. 

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7172 on: October 11, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »

^^^

There's always an app for that it seems!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7173 on: October 14, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

--Wonderstruck

I wanted to like this film, but ultimately did not. The technical craftsmanship of the film overwhelms it's story and the only way I can describe my reaction is that it was like being attracted to the most beautiful person and finding emptiness inside. Disappointing. Overdone.

Michelle Williams has a couple brief scenes in the film.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #7174 on: October 14, 2017, 08:26:05 PM »
--Wonderstruck

I wanted to like this film, but ultimately did not. The technical craftsmanship of the film overwhelms it's story and the only way I can describe my reaction is that it was like being attracted to the most beautiful person and finding emptiness inside. Disappointing. Overdone.

Michelle Williams has a couple brief scenes in the film.

^^^That's disappointing, I was looking forward to this. I'll probably see it anyway because it's Todd Haynes.

I saw the French film BPM (Beats per minute). It's set during the AIDS crisis in the nineties and follows a group of Act Up: Paris activists.

From RT:

In Paris in the early 1990s, a group of activists goes to battle for those stricken with HIV/AIDS, taking on sluggish government agencies and major pharmaceutical companies in bold, invasive actions. The organization is ACT UP, and its members, many of them gay and HIV-positive, embrace their mission with a literal life-or-death urgency. Amid rallies, protests, fierce debates and ecstatic dance parties, the newcomer Nathan falls in love with Sean, the group's radical firebrand, and their passion sparks against the shadow of mortality as the activists fight for a breakthrough.

I enjoyed it well enough with a mixture of déjà-vu and morbid nostalgia. I expected to be "triggered" but I wasn't, thank god, the French are not very sentimental.  I'm just not sure why it won the Grand Prize at Cannes or why it was even made in 2017. Maybe France hadn't dealt with the State's and Big Pharma's roles in the aids crisis? Have we?

The film, however, introduced me to the ridiculously sexy rising star Arnaud Valois and he's not just a pretty face:

EDIT: I guess I should have posted this in the gay film thread, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:05:12 PM by oilgun »
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7175 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:00 AM »
--Blade Runner 2049

Saw this last night and was intrigued with this complex world one is plunged into and enjoyed watching
it.  It doesn't have much staying power with me, though. This morning I'm remembering many visuals, but not much of an emotional impact. I believe it's because the main characters are replicants and not real and
it's kind of hard to care what happens to them. While watching it I did think of that line from Jurassic Park,
though. "Life will find a way."

Also, there's a lot of sexism in the film and probably because it was in the original novel, but I don't know
that for a fact. The live action billboard ads for Asian call girls being particularly head scratching.

Since I mentioned I was concerned about the running time I'll say on that score that it didn't bother me
at all.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7176 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
--Live By Night

This is Ben Affleck's (director and star) 1920's gangster film that was out last December. It's long and
mostly tedious. I liked one chase scene in it, but the story is well trodden and Ben Affleck's character
narrates the film that made it seem like he was trying to put you to sleep. It was set in Boston, which
is somewhat unusual for a film of this topic, but I wouldn't recommend it, there's others of this genre
that are far better.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #7177 on: October 15, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
Isn't Ben also being accused of groping an actress on one of his film sets?  thought I read that somewhere this week...

"She couldn't write a sentence if you spotted her the noun and the verb"

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #7178 on: October 15, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
I heard an interview with Todd Haynes on NPR this morning, it was disgusting to listen to him when it came to the subject of harvey w.  When the interviewer asked him about hw, he danced all over the place trying to avoid saying, basically, anything.  These aren't exact quotes, but close...he's ok because he didn't make a lot of money on his films ??!!

I don’t know exactly…..I know there was a story about a model….in the days since I was first asked about it, I was distressed…feel disgust

I heard some stuff before I started working w/hw that was the first time…I did not continue to hear these stories myself

Asked if he felt bad about profiting from the movies hw produced for him:  I guess….the films of mine that he took on didn’t receive huge commercial rewards…I’m shocked I didn’t hear more about it

https://knpr.org/npr/2017-10/todd-haynes-wonderstruck-and-evolution-deaf-culture-us
"She couldn't write a sentence if you spotted her the noun and the verb"

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7179 on: October 15, 2017, 11:18:59 AM »
Isn't Ben also being accused of groping an actress on one of his film sets?  thought I read that somewhere this week...

The Harvey Weinstein scandal has inspired a Ben Affleck scandal

Updated by Constance Grady

The scandal that has destroyed the reputation of Hollywood mega mogul Harvey Weinstein appears to be widening its scope to the point that it might take down actor and filmmaker Ben Affleck, too.

Affleck, like other prominent figures in Hollywood, has publicly denounced Weinstein, declaring himself “angry and saddened” at the allegations that Weinstein has harassed and assaulted multiple women throughout his career, and saying that reading details of the accusations “made him sick.”

But in speaking out against him, Affleck — a close colleague and protégé of Weinstein’s — seems to have only inspired people to share accounts of the harassment he has allegedly committed himself. Multiple women have come forward with accounts of harassment from Affleck, both on- and off-camera, as well as stories they say prove he has been complicit in other men’s harassment of women.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/13/16465216/ben-affleck-harvey-weinstein-sexual-harassment

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7180 on: October 15, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
TV host Anne-Marie Losique defends Ben Affleck over their VERY intimate interview...

By Chloe-lee Longhetti For Daily Mail Australia and Justin Enriquez

TV host Anne-Marie Losique has again defended Ben Affleck after a 2004 interview of the pair went viral amid the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Appearing on Weekend Sunrise on Sunday, Anne-Marie insisted that her relations with Ben were purely 'professional,' and that he 'never asked me to go to his room or anything like that.' 

In the video from 2004, the journalist is seen sitting on Ben's lap as she interviews him, the actor tells her she should go 'topless' then puts his head on her chest.

'In all my career, I never go roam around in rooms and suites of actors and producers by the way,' Anne-Marie said.  'What I did with Ben and what we did, which was completely mutual, it was in front of cameras, and studio executives, agents, other journalists etc, and in front of like 20 people,' she said.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4981292/TV-host-Anne-Marie-Losique-defends-Ben-Affleck.html

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4981292/TV-host-Anne-Marie-Losique-defends-Ben-Affleck.html#ixzz4vb9q2cIP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7181 on: October 15, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »
Horror of Dracula (1958), Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, on TCM. I believe Ben Mankewicz said it was the first of the Hammer Studio horror films.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7182 on: October 16, 2017, 01:01:22 AM »

Is sexual harassment (sometimes) in the eye of the beholder?

Chris Rock used to have a monologue about it and talked about women always
saying they want a guy with a sense of humor and he'd try to talk to them and
they'd be like "get away from me creep." He'd then observe Denzel cozying up
to them and the same women saying,  "Oh, Denzel, you're so funny."

Just saying and not excusing anything inappropriate.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Expert
« Reply #7183 on: October 16, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
" Jackie " starring Natalie Portman...Peter Sarsgaard.

This movie got better as it went along. By the end of it " Jackie's  " over whelming  sadness helplessness and most of all.. silent anger...was palpable. Such good acting from Natalie. I had a problem "finding" Peter Sarsgaard in the movie!! When I did....I noticed he had a prosthetic chin for him to play the part of Bobby Kennedy ! Hence the difficulty identifying him !

Just one criticism......I found at times ...especially at the start of the movie.....Natalie's/Jackie's.... voice/accent really grated on me.I cannot remember
how the real Jackie Kennedy/Onasis sounded. Can any one tell me if it was a good likeness ??