The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?  (Read 503655 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend?
« Reply #7395 on: February 14, 2018, 10:26:14 AM »
Nancy!! Absolutely one of my FAVS of all time!! I thought the casting was perfect, who would have thought MTM would/could be that consistently dramatic in a role? She certainly broke out of her goody-two-shoes persona for that one......I thought she'd win the award just for managing to STAY on task throughout the filming.......not taking anything away from Sissy either, she was nearly flawless in her role as well.......I'm not really an AWARD fan anyway, there are just TOO MANY great performances around to narrow it down that fine........IMHO, you understand??  :D :D :D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7396 on: February 14, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
When you watch a movie, the reason it resonates is because you're carried away with a story you can believe...you connect with a character and think "yes, that's right, that could happen, that has happened."  But that scene totally pulled me out of the moment.

I agree. It seems the older I get, the more annoyed I get with implausibilities. For me this happens with TV shows as well as movies, perhaps with TV even more so, since these days I see a lot more TV than I do movies.

It's like Law & Order SVU...you know cops do not have such a personal stake in their victims the way Olivia Benson does :D

I still like and watch "SUV"  :D  but I'm getting increasingly annoyed because surely nothing moves through the court system anywhere as fast as it does in that show. (I have the impression that after its winter break they're bringing in a new ADA.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7397 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:07 PM »

I really like Ordinary People and have seen it several times.

One thing that turned me off this time and seemed so silly was Conrad calling his shrink in the middle of the night and the doctor running to the office to meet with him.  Can you imagine a doctor giving his home phone to a patient (does that happen???) and then running off for an office visit at 2am.  Just pushed the boundary of belief too far.

Nancy, I never thought anything odd or strange about the scene that bothers you.  A friend of mine is a therapist. His patients have phone numbers to call if they need/want to. Home phone? Well, cell phones are home phones now, aren't they, no matter where you are? I can see the situation arising where a person might need help in the middle of the night...there are many "HELP" lines open 24/7, so an office visit, while I'm sure is frowned on in the middle of the night or "out of bounds" in most cases...it doesn't strike me as odd if one happened in certain situations like that. Now you could even use SKYPE or something.

Besides that, the picture resonates emotionally with people. I know some people cannot fathom that it won Best Picture over Raging Bull, but I can. While I think Raging Bull is masterfully directed (there are scenes of genius in it), the lead character doesn't offer an emotional connection. He, and all the males in it, are very misogynistic, all his problems are of his own doing and he never seems to learn from them; he ends up like you might think he would because of it. There is little emotional support for wanting him to succeed or be a better person because he never seems to learn from any of his mistakes, or even if he knows they are mistakes. The women in it are all abused and feel trapped, I guess, so they don't do much, if anything, to change, either. On the other hand, in Ordinary People there are many scenes any family (person) can relate to and situations you feel involved in.

Donald Sutherland has never been nominated for an Oscar, but he should've been for this film. I think right from the opening scene that uses "Canon in D Major" by Johann Pachelbel, one is immediately invested in the film. (The CD soundtrack, for whatever reason, wasn't ever released until 2016!) Timothy Hutton was really the lead actor in the film, but, of course, nominated in supporting and won. Everyone expected more of him after that, but he's never achieved a performance like that since. Why? One reason is that he made a lot of bad film choices after that. Another might have been, as I learned later from someone who worked on a film he was in, he is a complete asshole to people on set apparently. His father was actor Jim Hutton. This film also is what got the wonderful Elizabeth McGovern noticed.

Of the (soon to be) 90 films that have won the Oscar for Best Picture, I'd say this one would be in my Top 15.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7398 on: February 14, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »
I agree. It seems the older I get, the more annoyed I get with implausibilities.

You mean like a deaf woman having sex with the "fish creature from the Black Lagoon" in The Shape of Water?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7399 on: February 14, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »
^^^^^^

Speaking of that:

What Does “The Shape Of Water” Creature’s Penis Look Like?
by Zachary Zane 2hrs ago
Logo/ NewNowNext

Guillermo del Toro’s interspecies romance The Shape of Water tells the unlikely love story of a mute woman and fish creature.
But many who have seen the the 13-time Oscar-nominated film have left the theater with one burning question: “How did they
have sex?”

In the film, Elisa ( Sally Hawkins) mimed how she had intercourse with the amphibian, whose crotch looked smoother than a
Ken doll’s, but it kind of left more questions than answers. But now we don’t have to wonder anymore, thanks to XenoCat Artifacts,
the maker of monster-inspired sex toys: The Colorado-based company has created a colorful yet fully functional dildo inspired by Doug
Jones’s otherworldly creature.

________

I guess I can't post a picture of it!

But here's the article link where you can see for yourself:
http://www.newnownext.com/what-does-the-shape-of-water-creatures-penis-look-like/02/2018/

The director of the film says:

Still, Del Toro says the dildo isn’t quite what he had in mind when creating the fictional character.
“I’m sure Dunkirk doesn’t have that problem,” he told The Wrap. “I don’t think it’s an accurate
representation. It’s some form of fan art… I guess.”

The custom-made toys have proven so popular they’ve sold out, but XenoCat says it will have a
limited supply back in stock in time for the Oscars.

The actor, Doug Jones, who plays the creature says he "doesn’t Want ‘The Shape of Water’ to be
remembered for the fish creature’s penis."

I can see a future Oscar Trivia question: "What Best Picture nominee (or winner) spawned a penis movie memorabilia item?"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7400 on: February 14, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »

You mean like a deaf woman having sex with the "fish creature from the Black Lagoon" in The Shape of Water?

In that context most likely not. I really wasn't thinking of "creature features." If you are willing to suspend your disbelief to accept the reality of the creature in the first place, then you should be willing to accept that a deaf woman would have sex with it.

Don't creatures like that always want to have sex with human women anyway?

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:13:10 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #7401 on: February 14, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
words I never thought I'd see in a sentence:

the maker of monster-inspired sex toys
“I answer the heroic question 'Death, where is thy sting? ' with ' it is here in my heart and mind and memories.'”  Maya Angelou

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7402 on: February 14, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »
words I never thought I'd see in a sentence:

the maker of monster-inspired sex toys

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7403 on: February 17, 2018, 12:17:57 PM »

--The 15:17 to Paris

If you aren't familiar with the real life incident portrayed in this film then what I say contains spoilers.

As a curio, this film has some worth to it. The three American guys who stopped a terrorist shooter on
a train heading to Paris are played by the actual three guys involved, as were most all of the passengers
involved.

As heroic as the incident is, it's an incident, and the movie is padded with backstory of their lives as children,
how the three guys met and became friends and what their upbringing was like. Later, the movie is a travelogue
of sorts of the three guys traveling through Europe on leave from the military. The movie likens the ultimate
heroic incident to them preparing for some kind of destiny.

It is, though, one of Clint Eastwood's worst directed films. In trying to make the terrorist more menacing, the
initial views of him are either cringeworthy or provoke laughter. The three children cast as our heroes younger
selves were pretty bad. Through the backstory Eastwood fast forwards to a couple of the scenes when the
terrorist is on the train which is only done to heighten the tension, but it doesn't work and seems more out
of place/confusing than something warranted.

The three young men playing themselves are pretty affable and nice looking, but either because they're inexperienced
actors, or their dialogue written for them is lame, it doesn't always come off well. Also, in scenes when you're being
awarded medals for bravery, having the real people in the scene appears like self-aggrandizement, which is really odd.

Also, in movies portraying real life people, especially recently, there's a scene or tag at the end of the film where you see
photos or footage of the real-life person and it makes what you've just seen all the more real, usually, but in this film
there is footage at the end of them being celebrated in a hometown parade and it loses all perspective.

The film is only 90 minutes, and I'll be kind to it as a curio one might find interesting, and this incident that happened
was a nice moment for Americans to celebrate and feel good about, and you can certainly understand the three guys
taking the opportunity offered to them, but strictly as a film it lacks a whole lot.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7404 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:36 PM »

--47 Meters Down

Two sisters on vacation in Mexico are supposed to view sea life and sharks in a cage only 5 meters down,
but the cage plummets off it's crane and sinks to the ocean floor, where they have to try and find a way out
of this predicament.

Some spoilers. The film provides the usual thrills when sharks are present, but it's off-set by some annoying
scenes akin to people in horror movies always being told not to do something and they do it. The most annoying
was a very set-up stern admonition about their oxygen tanks and an electronic device telling them how much
is in the tanks. If they breathe normally it would last longer, talking and excited-ness would use it up faster.
I can't even tell you how many times the girls got excited and breathing abnormally and one of them would
tell the other not to do that followed by the person doing it. I just was completely annoyed.

There was considerable time leading up to their dive, too, where one of the girls kept lamenting that she didn't
really have a good feeling about this. Since everyone knows the premise of this film and that she was going to
do it anyway, what was the point of saying that constantly?

They always seemed to be doing the wrong thing in the water, too. They're told not to do something...they do it.
If one was enjoying the film you could point out that they were in danger and "had" to do something, which is true,
but the dialogue just made it seem like these two girls were stupid.

A similar kind of premise and done a lot better was the 2016 film, The Shallows. A far better and believable film.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7405 on: February 18, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »

--Final Portrait

This is a small art-house film directed by Stanley Tucci. It's about a famous artist, Alberto Giacometti, whom I admit I have never heard of. In 1964 Paris he bumps into his old American art critic friend, played by Armie Hammer, and asks if he'd like to take an afternoon and have him paint his portrait. The afternoon turns into days and days and the afternoon of seeing this movie seemed to be like that, too, going on for days. The film, even though only around 90 minutes seemed twice as long. The experience was much like watching paint dry. Literally. The problem is that the film has no forward momentum. The artist's artistic work habits don't seem born of anything relatable except stalling tactics. His personal relationships aren't interesting. The artist is not a fascinating person in most regards. The Armie Hammer character puts up with it all because he feels it'll be worth it. I admit, I might stall for who knows how long to keep Armie Hammer coming back to my apartment. The saving grace in the film is the incredible amount of close-ups of Armie Hammer sitting for him. Close-ups of nearly every part of his face. Though set in Paris, the film might as well have been shot in black & white, it was so drab and rather unappealing. The final version of the portrait, too, which is actually a painting deemed famous by many is quite unappealing, too, if you ask me. I'd rather have a glossy 8x10 of Armie and leave it at that.

I saw the film with three other people and none of us cared for it. We all thought it was rather pretentious in a snobby upper-class New York City kind of way. People who place importance on things most find mundane.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #7406 on: February 18, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »
Our local PBS station showed Casablanca last night. Again. ...

I watch the film when I can, but I have to admit I don't watch it for Bogart and Bergman, at least not any more.

You could say I watch it just for Claude Rains as the Prefect of Police. I think he's absolutely wonderful in that role.

Another actor from the Golden Age who could do anything.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7407 on: February 18, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »
The BAFTA's have been awarded not too long ago.
Here are the WINNERS:

(5 wins)
THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI
--Best Film
--British Film
--Actress
--Supporting Actor
--Original Screenplay

(3)
THE SHAPE OF WATER
--Best Director
--Original Music
--Production Design

(2)
DARKEST HOUR
--Best Actor
--Makeup and Hair Design

(2)
BLADE RUNNER 2049
--Cinematography
--Visual Effects

(1)
BABY DRIVER - WINNER
--Film Editing

CALL ME BY YOUR NAME
--Adapted Screenplay

COCO
--Animated Film

COWBOY DAVE
--British Short Film

DUNKIRK
--Sound Design

THE HANDMAIDEN
--Film Not in the English Language

I AM NOT A WITCH
--Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director and/or Producer

I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO
--Best Documentary Film

I, TONYA
--Best Supporting Actress

PHANTOM THREAD
--Costume Design

POLES APART
--Animated Short

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #7408 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:06 PM »
It’s on BBC just at the moment, but I’ve already seen the results. Knew I could rely on you to do the posting, Lyle!
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #7409 on: February 18, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »

Don't they air them live, Sara?

I was supposed to watch them (new host this year) with my BAFTA friend, but he isn't
getting out of the hospital until this afternoon, instead of yesterday, so...  :(

So I looked them up! BBC America isn't showing them until 8pm EST, I'm assuming 5pm PST.

I was, and am, disappointed that Dunkirk has been pretty much over-looked this award season.
It got so much attention when it came out last summer. Maybe that's the problem -- "last summer".

Looks like BAFTA totally ignored two talked about US films, Lady Bird and Get Out.

Although I forgot to include the BAFTA RISING STAR AWARD in my above list.
I was hoping Timothee Chalamet or Josh O'Connor would win.
Daniel Kaluuya did. I don't see that at all.