The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2011  (Read 514030 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
Re: News and Current Events - 2011
« Reply #3675 on: December 30, 2011, 08:49:38 AM »
Just a thought.............

I love this. 
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3676 on: December 30, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree, because really now, whoever did that thing had to stop
somewhere, otherwise the alternative was to what, keep going?

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3677 on: December 30, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
Or perhaps it was continued on the next stone which has been lost or destroyed over time.
Or perhaps 122112 is going to be the end of the world.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #3678 on: December 30, 2011, 03:43:48 PM »
 Yes, but, what would the date be in Samoa?   The original, or the converted?

Further, isn't it the island of Tonga that starts off a new earth day?  Shouldn't we sort of, well, keep in touch with them?  Just to be on the safe side?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3679 on: December 30, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
Good point, Tony!

It must really be strange to lose a day. Now all  their calendars will be wrong.
I can't imagine there would be a big market for Samoan calendars.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3680 on: December 30, 2011, 06:33:17 PM »
so, is it true? were Richard  M. Nixon and "bebe" rebozo really gay lovers?  I saw something about that on my phone a while ago. something about their closeted relationship and dick's long history of mafia ties.o, not the kind you wear.  :)

anyway, I would not be surprised at all to learn that Nixon was gay....

On Richard Nixon's secret White House tapes, he comments about the annual retreat for corporate, gov't and media elites at 'Bohemian Grove' in San Francisco. Nixon told Haldeman that this retreat was the "most faggy goddamn thing you could ever imagine."

Apparently, he'd been attending these retreats for over twenty years.

Quote from: Domhoff, G. William, The Bohemian Grove and Other Retreats: A study in ruling class cohesiveness, Harper and Row, 1974.
"The Bohemian Grove, that I attend from time to time—the Easterners and the others come there—but it is the most faggy goddamn thing you could ever imagine, that San Francisco crowd that goes in there; it's just terrible! I mean I won't shake hands with anybody from San Francisco."—President Richard M. Nixon on the Watergate tapes, Bohemian Club member starting in 1953.

"'Democracy' is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch... 'Liberty' is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.'' -Benjamin Franklin

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #3681 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:31 PM »
Not sure why there needs to be a Republican I could support.

But if for some reason I had to vote for one of them in a straw poll, I would vote for Romney only because I hope and believe he isn't really as extreme as he pretends to be for the tea party.

But I don't respect his posturing.  I believe if he came out and said he believes in his version of health care, here's why -- more people would respect him.

As it is the candidate I respect the most is Ron Paul.  I also would never vote for him under any circumstances, but I respect him because he knows where he stands, he doesn't sway in the wind, he's not even kooky like Gingrich.  I guess I respect him because I know where he stands, too. 

I might vote for him as head of an ethics committee .  But not for president of the United States.

Ultimately, as much as we dislike it, we are somewhat stuck with our two-party platforms, and whoever becomes prez as a Republican is going to continue the policies we saw while W was president.  That would be disastrous.  So at present there is no Republican I could support.

True on all accounts, but if Romney does get the nomination he has the better chance at winning the presidency.

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3682 on: December 30, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
[Hugo Chavez] gets nuttier by the minute.

-Or, is that what they want US to believe? 

The USG and its lapdog media have a long history of mischaracterizing the leaders of minor countries that have vast, undefended natural resources like oil and gas, or drugs, as "madmen"...

It's an old story. Think Iraq (oil). Iran (oil & gas). Haiti, Cuba, Nicaragua (slave labor), etc.... A lot of those "madmen" leaders have nationalized or threatened to nationalize their natural resources and kick(ed) out the US/UK, and that never plays well in Peoria...

Venezuela has a LOT of oil, and the US is one of her biggest customers.  In 2002, the previous administration's CIA in conjunction with the big right-wing Venezuelan business conglomerate helped launch a coup against Pres. Hugo Chavez that failed utterly. Chavez is still pissed, and he has every right to be pissed. The attempted coup was clearly an Act of War by the United States.

+Mexico has a lot of oil, too --we used to purchase over 14% our supply from them, which may be the reason the US has been systematically ratcheting up the 'drama' down at the Border. see e.g., The Perilous Intersection of Mexico’s Drug War & PEMEXx

If we lose access to Iranian oil, then Mexico and Canada will have to step up. And we would prefer to 'own' Mexico's and Canada's oil, if not indirectly through some cockamamey NAU or NAFTA agreement or other, then to own it outright through war, using our orchestrated 'war on drugs' as the pretext. 
Under Project Gunrunne the Obama Administration essentially allowed THOUSANDS of weapons to cross the Border and fall into the hands of drug cartel members, claiming that they were tracing these guns to find out where they went. Operation Fast & Furious laid bare that lie; the US was not tracking any guns, they were using Project Gunrunner as a pretext to foment war in Mexico.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:48:12 AM by AZ.bbm »
"'Democracy' is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch... 'Liberty' is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.'' -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #3683 on: December 30, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »

As it is the candidate I respect the most is Ron Paul.  I also would never vote for him under any circumstances, but I respect him because he knows where he stands, he doesn't sway in the wind, he's not even kooky like Gingrich.  I guess I respect him because I know where he stands, too. 

For what that's worth.

If this was a gambling site, I'd be placing bets on who's the first to defend this one:

"Victims of the disease AIDS argue, with no qualms of inconsistency about rights, for crash research programs (to be paid for by people who don't have AIDS) demanding a cure.  Victims demand health care as well and scream "discrimination" if insurance companies claim they have a right to refuse to issue a policy to someone already infected with the AIDS virus.  The rights of the insurance company owners are not considered, while legislation is passed forcing insurance companies to provide the insurance demanded by the victims.  the individual suffering from AIDS certainly is a victim -- frequently a victim of his own lifestyle -- but this same individual victimizes innocent citizens by forcing them to pay for his care."

"Freedom Under Seige", chapter 1 (1988)
http://mises.org/books/freedomsiege.pdf
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #3684 on: December 30, 2011, 10:07:55 PM »
or:

privacy issues?  marriage equality?  religious freedom issues?   Don't look to the judicial system:

from the "We The People" Act (H.R.539, introduced 2009):

Prohibits the Supreme Court and each federal court from adjudicating any claim or relying on judicial decisions involving:

(1) state or local laws, regulations, or policies concerning the free exercise or establishment of religion;

(2) the right of privacy, including issues of sexual practices, orientation, or reproduction; or

(3) the right to marry without regard to sex or sexual orientation where based upon equal protection of the laws.

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h539/show#

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3685 on: December 31, 2011, 06:31:09 AM »
  Again from Yahoo news, and the AP:

Hugo Chavez had said he wasn't accusing the U.S. and didn't have any proof.  But, referring to the statistically strange explosion of sudden cancers in leftist government leaders in South America, he had wondered if the U.S. could have developed a way to induce cancer, and how strange that would be.

Tony,

Not that strange...

Google "Special Virus Cancer Program" or "SVCP" --  a virally-transmitted cancer that was developed in 1974 by the Army at the Fort Detrick bio-weapons facility in Frederick, Maryland.

'SVC' is a cancer-causing virus, funded in 1970 under H.R. 15090 to be a component of an overall Nixon-Kissinger global population-control strategy, as outlined in their official National Security Study Memorandum, 'NSSM-200'.

Reportedly they had planned to test the virus on prisoners and African Nationals.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #3686 on: December 31, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »
Tony,

Not that strange...

Google "Special Virus Cancer Program" or "SVCP" --  a virally-transmitted cancer that was developed in 1974 by the Army at the Fort Detrick bio-weapons facility in Frederick, Maryland.

Oh, yeah, Stan......that stuff is out there.  It is often discredited by quack sites, which have information, but report it with a wildness that turns people off.  Plus, we all want to look away from things like the prison camps for Japanese-Americans, the experiments on black prisoners down south, decades ago, and the Boston Globe expose of the FBI willing to let an innocent man be executed, to protect the real murderer, who was a valuable source.  We read these things, they are admitted, and we turn the page and move on.
 And now we have GPS tracking of every cell phone, super-computers that monitor ALL communications (the Washington Post "Top Secret America" series), and we just assume, all the players are morally healthy and we aren't headed into an Orwellian world so fast it is irreversible.

Google "Gay Bomb", to see what strangeness the military can get into.  And then, after things like that, gee, what's developing a few little cancer-inducing techniques ? It's all for our own good, right?  Poor Hugo Chavez.  He IS a whack-nut.  But what he wondered about deserves some wondering.

It's been said that the Roman Empire conquered the known world, in self-defense.  And then went batty and bankrupt.  Maybe less lawyers in Congress, and more history students, might make a dent.  But I doubt it.  I really am amazed also, at the advanced techniques that have been developed for discrediting those that sound alarms, that something is wrong.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3687 on: December 31, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
Did you ever wonder if the world is just some kid-god's ant farm?
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #3688 on: December 31, 2011, 11:20:46 AM »
 It might as well be. Must be entertaining to someone.

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #3689 on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »
Did you ever wonder if the world is just some kid-god's ant farm?

Not really.  Tony's self-defense/batty/bankrupt scenario has a better track record.

If you doubt it, take the following poll on this year's GOP hopefuls in the New York Times.  When I took it, I thought it was a joke until I saw the answers.  Somewhere between the Cold War and the 21st century, we moved from the self-defense to the batty stage:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/opinion/collins-a-quiz-for-all-seasons.html?ref=opinion