The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2011  (Read 510567 times)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
Re: News and Current Events - 2011
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
Twenty four hours into his post as Speaker of the House, John Boehner has thrown a bone to the Tea Party (as well as every comedian and satirist in the country) by naming Michelle Bachmann to the National Intelligence committee.
Another first-day boo-boo for the Republican House:  2 representatives (Pete Sessions and... I forget)  did not show up to swear in.  Although one of them did take the oath -- by TV!!   I.e.  he watched the ceremony on TV, and raised his hand and repeated the oath, along with those who were actually present in the House at the time.   Apparently it never occurred to either of them that a (for instance) person entering the armed service, or becoming a citizen or President, or a couple getting married, must  actually be present when they swear their oath;  and so must a Congressman be.

So, unbeknowst to the two of them or anyone else, they were not members of the House.  That became a problem later in the day:  Pete Sessions went ahead  to chair his committee, which did quite a bit of business.  When the news came that he had no standing to chair anything, being only Joe Blow until sworn in, nobody knew what to do with all the matters the meeting had changed.  The parliamentarians were all mystified, because nothing like this had ever happened before.  But I reckon Rep. Bachman will be able to straighten everything out.  
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

tonydude

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2011, 01:21:49 PM »
  It looks pretty bad, the news coming in from Arizona of the congresswoman shot, also possibly a federal judge, and, so far, between 4-6 others also wounded or dead.  Sarah Palin has issued a statement of regret, possibly because the victim was on her "hit list" of Democrats to take down, in the elections.  It would be unfair to lay any blame at her doorstep, but some of the rhetoric in the opposition had been ugly, and that part ought to be pursued, I think.
 She was reported dead, but later reports have said, in surgery.
    This will probably have the effect of putting a chill on the inter-action between representatives and their constituents in public places. It's really a disturbing event, and we can only hope some do pull through.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2011, 02:02:35 PM »

Here is a preliminary article about it:

Congresswoman Shot in Arizona
UPI News
Jan 8

U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head during a public event in Tucson this morning.  The Pima County Sheriff Paul Babeu told MSNBC Giffords is still alive but in very critical condition. A spokeswoman for the University Medical Center in Tuscon said in a CNN interview that the congresswoman was in surgery.

Giffords was holding an event outside a grocery store when a man ran up and started shooting, witnnesses said. The sheriff told MSNBC five people were killed and six were wounded, including some members of her staff.  The sheriff said the gunman has been captured.

Giffords has represented Arizona's 8th Congressional district since 2007 and is a member of the Blue Dog Coalition of conservative Democrats. She was the first Jewish woman elected to Congress from Arizona. Giffords narrowly defeated tea party-backed Republican Jesse Kelly to win a third House term in November.

Giffords' congressional office in Tucson was vandalized in March after she voted in favor of the health care reform bill. Sarah Palin included Giffords on a list of Democratic candidates targeted for defeat in the midterm elections because of their support for the health care overhaul.

http://www.upi.com/News/UPI-50501294517648/

tonydude

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »
 Before some  of this vanishes off of the news feed, I did want to post a couple of things here, without commenting.

The congresswoman's father was reportedly asked if she had any enemies, and, weeping, said, yes, the entire tea party. Source: Huffpo main news feed.

The following is an ad for a rally against her before the elections from some group called "Target for Victory", as best as I can tell.  I hope it reproduces well enough to read.

tonydude

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 02:29:09 PM »
 One more, before these things disappear from the news.  Here, Sarah Palin's "targets".  It was an unfortunate choice of words, but she did then also give the names and locations of those she proposed as being defeatable in the elections.  I do recall reading that this was considered provocative at the time, the bulls-eye marks, and the personal information. It will just be something that people will have different views on.  I do not, myself, think Ms. Palin was requesting violence; but she showed, IMO, severe lack of judgment.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »
Thanks for putting these up, Tony. It's true they'll disappear as Sarah's minions try to cover their tracks.

The chickens are coming home to roost.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 02:43:06 PM »
I do not, myself, think Ms. Palin was requesting violence; but she showed, IMO, severe lack of judgment.

This made me laugh, because it's her trademark and it's the most true thing
anyone can say about her.  Among many other things, the fact that when
she was approached to be a Vice Presidential candidate that she actually believed
she could do that job and, by definition, be President, shows just what a severe
lack of judgment she possesses.  If the American people really want her to be
President, I say go for it.  You'll get what you deserve.  And, it won't really matter
as she'll quit in the first year or two anyway.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »
Here is another article with a little more info:

By TERRY TANG and AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Terry Tang And Amanda Lee Myers, Associated Press   – 22 mins ago

TUCSON, Ariz. – Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona was shot in the head Saturday when an assailant opened fire outside a grocery store during a meeting with constituents, killing a 9-year-old boy and a federal judge and wounding several others in a rampage that rattled the nation.

Giffords was among at least 10 people wounded, and the hospital said her outlook was "optimistic" and that she was responding to commands from doctors. The hospital said a 9-year-old child was among the killed, and a U.S. Marshal said a federal judge was also fatally shot in the attack.

Giffords spokesman C.J. Karamargin said an unspecified number of her staff members were injured in the shooting. Congressional officials said an aide to the Democrat was killed, but few details were released about the staff members.

Police say the shooter was in custody, and was identified by people familiar with the investigation as Jared Loughner, 22. Pima County Sheriff's officials said he used a pistol to carry out the rampage. U.S. officials who provided his name to the AP spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release it publicly.

The shooting prompted an outpouring of sympathy from politicians and people around the country. President Barack Obama called the shooting "an unspeakable tragedy" and that such "a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congresswoman_shot
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2011, 05:40:34 PM »
CNN is reporting that  Congresswoman Gifford was shot through the head, in and out, but the surgeons are optimistic, about recovery, but not to what extent.

Also the shooter has invoked his 5th amendment right not to self incriminate, so they are getting nothing from him.
But they are finding FaceBook and YouTube sites for him. The YouTube is very rambling crazy stuff.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

tonydude

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
  The link above, from John, is just stupefying.  I did notice on ABC's Nightly News, the special edition, extreme, almost nervous restraint.  They only briefly mentioned references by Ms. Gifford's grandfather that her enemies were....the tea party.  And kept emphasizing how conservatives were also shaken by this event.  But I do tend to think that the warnings against rhetoric and Palin's bulls-eye ads, given by the victim months before she was shot, will just not be covered by the news. Except for BCJ, I doubt I would have ever seen the above.
  I do understand we do not need to see this politicized.  From what I have been seeing, the gunman may well have been paranoid delusional.  But the nut cases do find their triggers in the surrounding climates, on the left or the right. And when Ms. Gifford, months ago, civilly suggested Sarah Palin's ads and rhetoric could lead to violence, from the fringe nut cases, and then is herself shot, her earlier warning ought not to be covered up for the sake of not offending anyone.
  I like ordinary conservatives, often enough.  And they are in no way responsible for this ugliness.  But exploring how the fringes have altered our safety levels, just should not be politely pushed to the side.  And yet that is what I am seeing.
 Even the copies of ads that I posted above earlier, have, this quickly, vanished into difficult-to-retrieve areas.
  I do wish her well and a solid recovery. And am sure we all have nothing but the best wishes for the families of the other victims.  I just regret, the decision by the media, so far, not to explore the antecedent climate.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
I totally agree, Tony.
And CNN has said that most of the posts by the shooter on Facebook and other sites have totally disappeared but they have been able to retrieve some YouTube videos so far. The fact that the FBI has taken over so soon may be the reason for these disappearances so quickly. Or the spin doctors for the Tea Party and Sara Palin.
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »
From back last June, the Republican candidate for Senate in Nevada Sharron Angle, "If We Don't Get Our Way Politically, Let's Start Shooting People"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9GXil9Vm8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2011, 06:24:39 PM »
And I can't help but wonder if Mrs Palin still stands behind her "Don't retreat, reload" slogan.