The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Dal, a Forum friend  (Read 14426 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
Saying goodbye to Dal, a Forum friend
« on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »
Friends,

I am sad to make this post -- our member Dal, who participated in our book clubs and righteously moderated the awesome "Scenes" threads, including Symbolism and Imagery, has passed on.  

My first encounter with him was in 2006 when he sent me a caring PM because I posted about a loss of a family member.  Since then we have participated together in the book clubs, and discussed Annie Proulx's writing in the Close Range thread and Postcards.  

He lived in Philadelphia, where he worked as a medical doctor.  When he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer early this year, he moved to Dallas, his home town, to be near his mother.  Coincidentally,  I live here too.

When we first got together to talk, I finally realized that "DAL" is the symbol for the airport at Dallas Love Field.  Also, I learned that Dal graduated from Richardson High School, where my own son now is a sophomore.

Dal moved here to be close to his mother, but that meant he was separated from his friends in Philadelphia.  In person, he was the most easy- going and practical man you would ever want to meet.  Also, humorous, charming, and lovable.

Over the past few months I have had the privilege of sharing movies and museum exhibits with Dal.  I always let him choose, except for the Genghis Khan exhibit (see picture below) which I really wanted to see, and he enjoyed it immensely.

He loved Art, with a capital A. In his last weeks, he was creating art to try and express his feelings about what he was experiencing.

Back in June, he called me to tell me Charlotte (RoyandRonnie) was coming to visit, and the three of us got together during her few hours between planes to look at exciting pictures of her trip to the Grand Canyon.  Dal enjoyed this outing tremendously, as he did all of our outings.  

Dal (Steve) is a gentle soul and I miss him very much.

Dal found these ridiculous felt hats in the gift shop of the Genghis Khan exhibit absolutely hilarious.  I had to take his picture with them.  

The family has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Stephen Ross Gaspar MD Memorial Resident Educational and Research Fund, Dept. of Physical Medicine and Rehab, Temple University School of Medicine, 3400 N. Broad St., Philadelphia PA 19140
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:23:47 PM by Ellen (tellyouwhat) »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Saying goodbye to Dal, a Forum friend
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »
I had never met Steve in person, but of course knew him through the forum and as a fellow moderator.
He was an intelligent and humorous poster and I so enjoyed reading his posts. Many gave me a lot of insight into the subject being discussed.
His work as a moderator contributed greatly to keeping the Forum what it is today.

Rest in Peace, Steve, and your BBM spirit will remain with us always.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:27:02 PM »
damn, this is very sad.

he's one of the incredible people we all got to meet him. it was a privilege to work with him here his final years.

Offline milomorris

• Expert
  • Strength, Courage, Mastery, and Honor
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 09:36:06 PM »
He lived in Philadelphia, where he worked as a medical doctor.  When he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer early this year, he moved to Dallas, his home town, to be near his mother.  Coincidentally,  I live here too.

This is spooky. Steve Jobs announced today that he is leaving Apple in part because of his struggle with pancreatic cancer. Just spooky.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
Oh this is so sad.  I remember readling Dal's posts from when I was new here on the forum several years ago.   It always breaks my heart when I hear of forum members passing.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »
I read this with shock and sadness.  When I joined the forum 3 years ago Dal's was a name that soon caught my eye, in the BBM discussion threads in particular, and I started to look forward to his sharp comments and quirky and witty illustrations.  He once did something involving Queen Victoria, and then PM'd me hoping he hadn't offended my British royal sensibilities. (He hadn't :))

I miss him - and how much harder it must be for those who knew him in real life.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Desecra

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:36 AM »
I'm so sorry.   I never met Steve in person, but he was one of my favourite people on this forum.   His PMs during serious discussions would sometimes have me laughing out loud.    He was so funny, but always polite and thoughtful.   I will remember him as highly intelligent, insightful, witty and kind, and definitely a one-off.   He will be greatly missed. 
Unless, I say otherwise, I'm probably talking about the short story, not the movie. :)

Offline AZ.bbm

• Way Back Machine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
Shock and sadness, sums it up for me, too.

I didn't get to meet Dal, personally, but I thought he was so very aware and intelligent, and he knew how to laugh at himself, too, a quality I very much admired.

Rest In Peace, Steve.

Stan/Azbbm

"'Democracy' is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch... 'Liberty' is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.'' -Benjamin Franklin

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:13:42 AM »
What sad news! I immensely enjoyed Dal's witty and insightful posts, discussions with him always where enlightening and fun. What do they say? It's always the best who have to go first....  :'(
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline Nax

• The Captain Underpants Enigma
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
  • A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
    • naxfun.com
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:18:11 AM »
I am so sad to hear this, Steve and I had many conversation in the past, he was a lovely man.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:16 AM »
I didn't have many interactions with Steve on the forum, he posted in the more serious sections of the fourm, while I tend to be in the "lighter" areas of the forum.

I am grateful that I had the opportunity to meet him at three NYC Brokie gathering where we had time to talk face-to-face.

Steve was a very insightful and witty person, and I'm very glad that I had the opportunity to meet him at these gatherings.   I am sure you are at peace now, and I send thoughts of love and strength to your family.

September 16th, 2006 - NYC.

Back Row: Jeff Hanna, Desperadum, CellarDweller115, Carissa, Seeker

Front Row: RodneyFL, OttoBlom, Zadoc, TwistedBoy, DaveInPhilly, Bobbie, Jenny, TwistAndShout, DanaC, Dal, Bklyn, Still Learning.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:42 AM »
October 5th, 2007 - NYC.

Dal (Steve), PTannen (Pete),  RnMina (Mina)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:20:24 AM »

Group Shot

PTannen (Pete), CellarDweller (Chuck), MaineGirl (Sue), DejaVu (Debbie), SmellyKellyJay (Kelly), RnMina (Mina)
(seated)  Dal (Steve), JCinNYC2006 (Juan)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:21:45 AM »
October 6th, 2007 - NYC.

(L to R)  Meryl, Teresa, DejaVu (Debbie), CellarDweller (Chuck), MaineGirl (Sue), Dal (Steve), JMMGalagher (John).

The above pic was taken at a NYC book festival where Annie Proulx was doing a book signing.  Steve joined us for the event, and we all got our copies of "Brokeback" signed by Annie.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:01 AM »
I am so shocked and sad to hear this heartbreaking news about Steve, (Dal). We spoke together frequently by PM, usually when he was moderating my postings when I had gone over the top.........again. :D
His replies were always witty and thoughtful and I will miss him very much.
His loss to the forum will be a very great one.
Enjoy your time on the mountain, Steve.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan