The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Dal, a Forum friend  (Read 14642 times)

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
Re: Saying goodbye to Dal, a Forum friend
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:34 AM »
Dal will be so missed by everyone here at the forum. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 05:47:51 AM »
I was saddened to learn of Dal’s passing.
(Thank you, Ellen, for the posting.)

He was a patient and courteous Moderator (even when driven almost to exasperation by my S&I quibblings, at times, during the past two years) with a dry sense of humour and a quick intellect.

His presence and input will be missed.

Valé, Dal.

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »

How sad that we have lost such a wonderful partner in our discussions!

I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve in person, so I appreciate the photos.

I will be mindful of him when we kruat nam.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:38 AM »
RIP

:'( :'(

Offline Sandy

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 08:03:34 AM »
Steve was a fellow mod with Charlotte and me on some of the more "serious" threads, and he brought perspective, wit, and, well, moderation to his moderating. He was even-handed and even modded me when I needed it. He was passionate and decent and never out of touch with his sense of humor.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Rest in peace, Steve.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
ellen, that was a really touching tribute to dal. i wanted to say something quickly, before i went to bed last night, so i just came back to read it more closely, and i was really touched. i'm sure he would appreciate that.
ColumbineParkland coming Feb 2019, then gay soldiers book.

Offline Meryl

• Getting Acquainted
  • Ich bin ein Brokie...
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear about Dal's passing.  Thanks to CellarDweller for letting me know.  We met briefly in 2007 in the company of Annie Proulx.  I hope he's "flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back...suspended above ordinary affairs...."

Offline Melisande

• Chief Moderator
  • Obsessed
    • LiveJournal
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 10:21:56 AM »
Though Steve and I never met in person, we PM'd a lot over the years. He was always funny and sensible and made me laugh with his dry sense of humor. He made it all fun. I'll miss him very much.
let be, let be

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 10:33:17 AM »
Ellen, it must have been so hard for you to know that Steve was going downhill.  But how good - for both of you - that you were able to spend that time with him.
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 11:21:33 AM »
I'm sorry that Steve is not with us any more; his gentle spirit and incisive, intelligent humour were wonderful. He and Sandy replaced me when I left the post of moderator on the scenes and elements, etc. section, and I am utterly certain that the level of heat was moderated by that replacement. I never had the pleasure of meeting Steve in person, but in PMs and public posts, I always found him unfailingly warm, intelligent, and gracious. i'm so glad that he was here.
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

Offline Marz

• heaths little angel
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:38 AM »

This is so sad, although I never met Steve in person he was always lovely to me whenever I was on here and seemed like a true Gent, its so heartbreaking to lose another member of our forum family and he will be greatly missed by all of us
he was last on here less then a month ago
Rest in peace Steve and thank you for your contribution to the forum
 :-*
John 'Marz' Wayne

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 01:12:43 PM »
I enjoyed all of my conversations with Steve.  He had a delightful, gentle sense of humor.

Ellen, is there to be any sort of memorial service?  Did Steve or his family mention any specific charities or organizations to which donations might be made in his memory?

Offline Miaisland

• Lady of the midnight sun
  • Obsessed
  • Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »
Rest in peace, Dal and thank you from me too.
“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 02:02:36 PM »
I enjoyed all of my conversations with Steve.  He had a delightful, gentle sense of humor.

Ellen, is there to be any sort of memorial service?  Did Steve or his family mention any specific charities or organizations to which donations might be made in his memory?

Dal's mother told me there won't be a service until October.  Meanwhile, I have a call in to his sister asking about charities or organizations.  When I hear I'll let you know.

Edited to add:

The family has asked that in lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to the Stephen Ross Gaspar MD Memorial Resident Educational and Research Fund, Dept. of Physical Medicine and Rehab, Temple University School of Medicine, 3400 N. Broad St., Philadelphia PA 19140

I will add this info the the first post in the thread so it will be easy to find.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 03:22:11 PM by Ellen (tellyouwhat) »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

tonydude

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »
  He was one of my favorite people, from the internet.   I think he was a witty, sweet soul, and we just don't have enough of that breed.  This is a hurt.