The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet September-October 2011  (Read 13931 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet September-October 2011
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:54:46 PM »

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Read the Book, See the Movie

This five-part weekly series in September examines the process of turning a major novel into an enduring movie classic, complete with rare photographs, fun facts, and new videos.

Check out a video selection from Part 1 of our online feature “Read the Book, See the Movie” featuring screenwriter Diana Ossana on adapting “Brokeback Mountain.”

This is from the 'Great to be Nominated' screening of Brokeback Mountain at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater (Los Angeles) in August, 2008.

More information: oscars.org

Why Apple CEO Tim Cook’s Sexuality Is News

Tim Cook is now the most powerful gay man in the world. This is newsworthy, no? But you won’t find it reported in any legacy/mainstream outlet. And when the FT‘s Tim Bradshaw did no more than broach the subject in a single tweet, he instantly found himself fielding a barrage of responses criticizing him from so much as mentioning the subject. Similarly, when Gawker first reported Cook’s sexuality in January, MacDailyNews called their actions “petty, vindictive, and just plain sad.”

But surely this is something we can and should be celebrating, if only in the name of diversity — that a company which by some measures the largest and most important in the world is now being run by a gay man. Certainly when it comes to gay role models, Cook is great: he’s the boring systems-and-processes guy, not the flashy design guru, and as such he cuts sharply against stereotype. He’s like Barney Frank in that sense: a super-smart, powerful and non-effeminate man who shows that being gay is no obstacle to any career you might want.

One of the issues here is that most news outlets cover Cook as part of their Apple story, and Cook’s sexuality is irrelevant to his role at Apple. And so the other story — the fact that the ranks of big-company CEOs have just become significantly more diverse — is being overlooked and ignored. And that’s bad for the gay and lesbian community more broadly.

The institution of the closet is one of fear — one where people would rather be ignored than noticed, because they fear the negative repercussions of being known to be gay. It’s an institution which Cook, like any gay man born in 1960, knows at first hand. But now the risk of being ignored is bigger in the other direction: if the world can’t see gay men and women in all their true diversity, if the only homosexuals they know of are the flamboyant ones on TV, then that only serves to perpetuate stereotypes.

Read more: cjr.org

Happy Birthday, Michelle Williams! A Look at Her Sweet Style

We first took notice of Michelle Williams back in her Dawson Creek days; since then the actress has only proven her talents, wowing us with performances in Brokeback Mountain and Blue Valentine. Now, we're celebrating the charming, chic, and undeniably gifted Oscar-nominated actress and mother's 31st birthday — and looking to the birthday girl to supply a few styling lessons. With an affinity for ladylike lengths and sweet detail, we spot her in favorite labels Miu Miu, Chanel, and Jason Wu. She nails that retro-inspired and still modern sense with spot-on styling, and lights up a red carpet with her every appearance.

Read more: fabsugar.com

OK GOPer: Gay People Are More Dangerous Than Terrorists

Oklahoma state Rep. Sally Kern (R) argues that homosexuality is "more dangerous" than terrorism because "It's something they have to deal with every day. Fortunately we don't have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that's what I mean."

Kern appeared on the radio show of Peter LaBarbera of Americans for Truth About Homosexuality recently, as part of the promotional tour for her book, called "The Stoning of Sally Kern: The Liberal Attack on Christian Conservatism - And Why We Must Take a Stand."

"You know if you just look at it in practical terms, which has destroyed and ended the life of more people?" she asked. "Terrorism attack here in America or HIV/AIDS?"

"And you know, every day our young people, adults too, but especially our young people, are bombarded at school, in movies, in music, on TV, in the mall, in magazines," she continued. "They're bombarded with 'homosexuality is normal and natural.' It's something they have to deal with every day. Fortunately we don't have to deal with a terrorist attack every day, and that's what I mean."

Read more: tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com

Brokeback Mountain BD Review

Brokeback Mountain's 1080p, VC-1 compression codec BD release is as powerful as its premise. Visually sweet, this picturesque production showcases the best of western landscape and beauty. With a unique colour palate, consisting of smoky greys and twilight blues the overall picture has an earthy dimension to it. A healthy and appropriate amount layer of grain is provided, pleasing many traditional movie lovers. Strong all round, Brokeback Mountain's Blu-ray release is visually captivating and inviting. The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack is subtle yet right on the mark. Dialogue is enhanced to the maximum, and tracks are in tune with the fragile overtones of the picture. Special features include: A Groundbreaking Success, Music from the Mountain, From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, On Being a Cowboy, Directing from the Heart: Ang Lee, Still Photo Montage, Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain, and lastly, BD-Live: My Scenes.

Lee and his cast accomplish a wonderful blending of melancholy and genuine artistry. Brokeback Mountain will break your heart as it illuminates the human condition and send you back to reflect upon love in all of its many forms and expressions.

Read more: bdfile.com

Elton John And George Michael To Attend Launch Of Gay Rights Group

Elton John and George Michael will both make an appearance at the launch party for Kaleidoscope, an international, non-partisan gay rights group.

The opening ceremony for the group will take place on September 13 at the House of Commons. Its stated goal is to prevent discrimination on Commonwealth countries, particularly those in Africa.

The organization has received broad support throughout the British party system, garnering endorsements from U.K. top-brass, including David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband.

Read more: rttnews.com

Remembering 9/11: Mark Bingham

Alice Hoagland, mother of Los Gatos 9/11 hero, urges good deeds, reconciliation on tragedy's 10th anniversary.

It's been 10 excruciatingly painful years for Los Gatos resident Alice Hoagland, whose only son Mark Bingham was killed Sept. 11, 2001 when his United Airlines Flight 93 was hijacked by Al Qaeda terrorists.

Bingham was 31 when the plane crashed into a field near Shanksville, PA. Hoagland said Bingham called her at 6:44 a.m. using the plane's GTE airphone that fateful morning to tell her that he loved her. The call came to her brother Vaughn's home in Saratoga, where she was babysitting.

"He said, 'Mom, this is Mark Bingham. I just want to tell you that I love you. I'm on a flight from Newark to San Francisco and there are three guys on board who have taken over the plane and they say they have a bomb,' " ...

"Mark was a great kid. He was an athlete and a good friend. He was a gay man and was rugby player," Hoagland said.

On the afternoon of 9/11, when the San Francisco Chronicle called her to ask her if Bingham was gay, she answered in the affirmative.

"Ten years on, I'm so glad I did and I'm so glad that Mark had the confidence and love for me that he wanted me to know something very important about himself."

As a result of his bravery in outing his homosexuality, Hoagland said Bingham is regarded by the gay community and the country as a "gay hero," and she's become an unlikely spokeswoman for the gay community.

Read more: losgatos.patch.com

The Road to Bingham

Sam Minter, president of the Melbourne Chargers Rugby Union Football Club, talks about why you should get out there and support the boys.

Recently, many in the United States and beyond marked the tenth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Centre on September 11, 2001. Among the several thousand who lost their lives that day was Mark Bingham, a passenger aboard United Flight 93. Bingham helped wrest control of the plane from its hijackers, preventing them from reaching their target and bringing about further loss of life. He is one of the many heroes of that day.

Mark’s legacy is the Bingham Cup, the World Cup of gay Rugby Union. Mark played for the San Francisco Fog, at the time one of the pioneer clubs in the gay Rugby Union movement, and the first winner of the Bingham Cup in 2002.

Mark’s catch-cry was “With you!” – an affirmation to the ball carrier that they have support, that there is another player ready to take the ball in an offload or secure it when he goes into contact. The call embodies the camaraderie and teamwork required in rough team sports such as Rugby Union: physical safety is reliant on your teammates having your back.

Perhaps for this reason there is an intensely masculine subculture built around the football codes: weakness (perceived or otherwise) in any one player diminishes the team’s ability to win. A 2009 survey of gay ruggers across the world identified many who had left Rugby when they came out, finding their sexuality a barrier to their participation in the sport. At the same time, however, the camaraderie born out of the sport’s physicality is probably part of its appeal to the gay community.

Read more: gaynewsnetwork.com

Before the Balls Drop

We can tell from the social media world that some of you couldn't give a toss about the Rugby World Cup, and we are here to increase your pain as we jump on the bandwagon with our unofficial, unreliable, uncensored and probably offensive gay guide to the Rugby World Cup.

Number One: There are three types of rugby players

(Left) The Gareth Thomas – well he isn’t actually a type, he is one-of-a-kind; the only professional rugby player to ever come out. Sadly you won’t get to see him in action in the Rugby World Cup, as the Welsh hard man now plays rugby league.

(Centre) The Ben Cohen – the stunning recently retired Englishman is straight, but has become a gay icon thanks to his open-mindedness when he played, and his amazing, admirable post-retirement focus on fighting homophobia with the Ben Cohen StandUp Foundation. If only all straight men were like Ben!

(Right) The Richard Kahui – Sadly from our experience growing up in New Zealand, this is probably the majority of rugby players we’ve dealt with. Yup, they’re all man on the field, but no, they’re not man enough to kiss another guy on the cheek, even in jest. As a wise protestor once wrote: What are you so afraid of?!

Number two: rugby players can be cast into stereotypical subgroups based purely on their appearance too ...

Read (and see!) more: gaynz.com

JAKE NEWS

Matt Damon Envies Jake Gyllenhaal's Bald Head

Freshly bald Matt Damon loves his new look. What he doesn't love is having his shaved head compared to Jake Gyllenhaal's.

"Wow, I try not to envy, but I have to say Jake's got a damn good-looking head," Damon, 40, told PEOPLE at Wednesday's New York premiere of his new movie about a killer virus, Contagion. "He sure does have a beautiful round head."

"Normally you say, 'That's a beautiful head of hair, but that's a beautiful head he's got,' " Damon says laughing. "Gyllenhaal definitely gets the blue ribbon for the best bald head over me."

Read more: people.com

Jake Gyllenhaal Doubles His Pleasure: Weekend Date With Rashida Jones…and Anna Kendrick?!

How did you spend the long holiday weekend? If the answer isn't, "By getting cozy with not one but two of Hollywood's hottest starlets and in doing so, sparking tabloid speculation and rumors of romantic liaisons with at least one of them," then you had a less exciting weekend than Jake Gyllenhaal.

Read more: eonline.com

Hollywood Screen Kisses

Here's a gay first kiss (plus a lovemaking scene) from "SHELTER", starring Trevor Wright and Chad Rowe.

Do guys really roll around that much in bed? Okay, so it's not exactly "Monster's Ball", but they're doing their best.

SAVE THE DATE

BROOKLYN BOOK FESTIVAL

Sunday Sept 18: 4:00 P.M. Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana in Conversation.

Tickets are free and distributed one hour in advance of the program at festival information booth on the plaza.

More info: brooklynbookfestival.org

Bozeman Public Library Foundation & Out West 2011 proudly present a complimentary performance of:

BEYOND BROKEBACK: A Staged Reading with Music

Saturday, October 1st, 7:00 PM

Bozeman Public Library
Large Community Room
626 E. Main Street
Bozeman, Montana 59715

Post of the Day

Posted by Lyle (Mooska) in Awards Aftermath – Part 2

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  When M&M's plain chocolate candies debuted in 1941, what 6 colors would you find when opening a package? What color was replaced in 1949?

Let us know your answer in the Response Thread.

Last week's question and answer: What famous vocalist formed his first band at the age of 12, dedicated an album to his pets, and has a type of flower named in his honor?

The answer is Freddy Mercury. The type of flower is a rose: "The Freddie Mercury Rose was propagated in 1993 by Battersby Roses and registered with the International Registration Authority For Roses in the USA, The naming of the Rose was decided on Fan club members who donated to the fund in order to raise the £2,000 needed to name and register it. The money was quickly raised and the first bushes were made available early 1994. The rose is yellow with a pink tint and was chosen as Freddie's favorite roses were yellow."

Read more at afriendofqueen.com  •  flickr photo by f1jherbert

The Forum Image

Posted by FIXorSTAND in Life Through The Lens 6

Keepin' It Cowboy

Posted by huntinbuddy in Go West!

Quote of the Day

“Rugby is a good occasion for keeping thirty bullies far from the center of the city.”

~ Oscar Wilde ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by HR in Photo Captioning Fun 6

Riverton Rugby

Crouch

Touch

Pause

Engage

Contributors: FIXorSTAND, Lyle (Mooska), huntinbuddy, HR

Calendar of Events

If you have ideas about initiating a gathering, go to Start Your Own Threads
and get the ball rolling to plan a get-together near you.

Beyond Brokeback & Brokeback Mountain
Roosevelt University, Chicago - November 13, 2011

Let us know of any events you’d like listed here.

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

Researchers: BayCityJohn, Killersmom, Kittyhawk

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to gnash.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:56:00 AM by gnash »
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: The Daily Sheet September-October 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Michelle Williams 'Dreams' Of Quitting Hollywood

Michelle Williams, the American actress who plays Marilyn Monroe in the forthcoming biopic 'My Week with Marilyn', claims she often dreams of quitting the movie business. The 31-year-old rose to fame as a cast member of teen drama 'Dawson's Creek' before starring in the likes of 'Brokeback Mountain' and 'Blue Valentine'.

Speaking to Hobo Magazine, the multi award winning actress revealed, "I often dream of quitting acting. Walking away and becoming a laundress or a sous chef or maybe writing other people's love letters for a living. Clearly, I don't like to be in charge".

Read more: contactmusic.com

James Schamus' Life on the Film Festival Circuit

The Focus CEO looks back on 22 years of adventures -- from selling "Walking and Talking" to Harvey Weinstein to stumbling across Terrence Malick when he least expected it.

James Schamus has easily spent two years' worth of his life (if not more) at film festivals and knows them from every angle -- buyer, seller, screenwriter, cinephile. He and producer Ted Hope formed pioneering indie production company Good Machine in 1991, and the grand tour was on: Sundance, Berlin, Cannes, Venice, Telluride, Toronto. Good Machine and its distribution partners deftly used festivals to launch a string of award-winning titles, including The Ice Storm (released by Fox Searchlight) and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (released by Sony Pictures Classics).

A decade ago, Good Machine folded into Focus Features, which has remained a major festival presence with films including Brokeback Mountain and Atonement. But doing business on the circuit isn't all glamour.

From a smoke-filled flight to the International Film Festival Rotterdam in 1989 to a 3 a.m. food fight at the Cafe Majestic in Cannes years later, the 51-year-old shares what life is really like in what he calls the 'zone.'

The Hollywood Reporter: What do you remember about Rotterdam, your first festival?

James Schamus: I'm allergic to cigarettes, and on the plane there, I was in the row in front of the smoking section, which was basically like having 40 people blowing smoke at me. But Rotterdam was a blast. It's one of the youngest and hippest public audiences out there. The other great thing was a stall a couple blocks from the main theater where they sold herring sandwiches with raw onion. I was amazed people would actually talk to me after I ate them.

Read the rest of the interview: hollywoodreporter.com

Indie Focus: 'Weekend' couple being gay is partly beside the point

Andrew Haigh's film also addresses more universal ideas, such as finding one's place in the world.

For his second feature, British editor turned director Andrew Haigh wanted to pick up on the rhythms of everyday life, capturing both the highs of budding romance and the spaces in between. In "Weekend," which opens in Los Angeles on Friday (the same day it will be available on video on demand), Haigh follows with naturalist grace as would-be partners meet, fool around and then fall in love.

That the characters happen to be men is intended to be at least in part beside the point.

Although "Weekend" has played some of the most notable gay-themed film festivals in America, Haigh said he has made every effort to prevent the movie from being branded simply as a "gay" film. It had its world premiere this year at the Austin, Texas-based South by Southwest Film Festival, an event better known for shaggy indies, bawdy comedies and out-there genre fare, where it picked up an audience prize.

The movie opened the prestigious BAM Cinemafest series in New York City this summer and will have its United Kingdom premiere next month as part of the BFI London Film Festival.

Read more: latimes.com    Watch the trailer on YouTube

Retailers Are Put on the Spot Over Anti-Gay Aid

The culture war over gay rights has entered the impersonal world of e-commerce.

A handful of advocates, armed with nothing more than their keyboards, have put many of the country’s largest retailers, including Apple, Microsoft, Netflix and Wal-Mart, on the spot over their indirect and, until recently, unnoticed roles in funneling money to Christian groups that are vocal in opposing homosexuality.

The advocates are demanding that the retailers end their association with an Internet marketer that gets a commission from the retailers for each online customer it gives them. It is a routine arrangement on hundreds of e-commerce sites, but with a twist here: a share of the commission that retailers pay is donated to a Christian charity of the buyer’s choice, from a list that includes prominent conservative evangelical groups like the Family Research Council and Focus on the Family.

The marketer and the Christian groups are fighting back, saying that the hundred or so companies that have dropped the marketer were misled and that the charities are being slandered for their religious beliefs.

The national battle was ignited in July by Stuart Wilber, a 73-year-old gay man in Seattle. He was astonished, he said, when he learned that people who bought Microsoft products through a Christian-oriented Internet marketer known as Charity Giveback Group, or CGBG, could channel a donation to evangelical organizations that call homosexual behavior a threat to the moral and social fabric.

“I said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding, Microsoft,’ ” he recalled, noting that the software giant — like many other corporations accessible through the commerce site, including Apple and Netflix — was known as friendly to gay causes.

Read more: nytimes.com

Atheist Brokeback Mountain Movie Bombs!

If an atheist movie falls at the box office, does it make a sound? Not in the media it doesn’t. But that’s why we’re here to point these things out.

Remember the movie “The Ledge?” Well, of course you don’t. Nobody does. I think even the actors in it (and there’s some big ones) are working on plausible deniability. The Ledge came out during the summer and was billed as the “atheist Brokeback Mountain.” And they meant that as a good thing, just so you know.

The director Matthew Chapman explicitly labeled it “the first overtly pro-atheist movie.”

Essentially, the plot is a nice oppressed married Christian woman (we know she’s oppressed because she wears her top button done) meets a cool roguish atheist dude who unbuttons her top button, if you know what I mean. Enter big bad Christian patriarchal oppressor husband who then becomes not so nice and Christiany and threatens to kill his wife unless the atheist dude jumps off the ledge. Will the atheist sacrifice himself for another? Drumroll please. I can hardly wait…to yawn.

Read more: nationalcatholicregister.com    Watch the trailer on YouTube

'Is My Son Gay?' App Hits Android Market

"Is My Son Gay?," a new app available in the Android Market, has a rather simple premise: It claims to determine, through a series of 20 questions, whether or not the survey-taker's offspring is, in fact, a homosexual. And yet despite this simplicity of purpose, the app is--surprise!--incredibly controversial. ...

The app itself is a 20-question survey of "Yes" or "No" questions designed to identify your son's sexual preference. Via rue89, and translated into English by resident HuffPost French speaker Alice Hines, these questions are:

1. Does he like to dress up nicely? Does he pay close attention to his outfits and brand names?

2. Does he like football?

3. Before he was born did you wish he would be a girl?

4. Has he ever gotten into or participated in a fight?

5. Does he read sports magazines?

6. Does he have a best friend?

7. Does he like team sports?

8. Is he prudish/modest?

9. Does he like diva singers?

10. Does he spend a long time in the bathroom?

11. Does he have a tongue, nose or ear piercing?

12. Does he spend time getting ready before being seen in public?

13. Have you asked yourself questions about your son's sexual orientation?

14. Are you divorced?

15. Does he like musical comedies?

16. Has he introduced you to a girlfriend ever?

17. Is the father (you) very strict or authoritarian with his son?

18. In your family is the father absent?

19. Was he shy as a child?

20. Is he close to his father?

Reaction around the Internet has not been kind.

Read more: huffingtonpost.com

Heath Ledger Hollywood Hills House for Sale, Again

The late-Heath Ledger’s Hollywood Hills home is back on the market at $3 million. The new owner hopes that second time will be the charm as the anniversary of Ledger’s tragic death approaches.

The Australian actor’s estate sold the house to the current owner in 2008, who apparently never really lived in it. Ledger bought the place from talk show host Ellen DeGeneres in 2005.

The house is a contemporary on a secluded hillside location with an open floor plan and polished concrete floors.

Read more: theimproper.com

Anne Hathaway Wears Her Cat Ears in Dark Knight Rises Set (Photos and Video)

Meow, Anne Hathaway wears her full catwoman costume including cat ears on the set of the upcoming film “The Dark Knight Rises” from director Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception, Memento) stars Christian Bale (Batman Begins, Terminator Salvation, The 13 Women of Nanjing), Anne Hathaway (The Devil Wears Prada, Get Smart, Alice in Wonderland, The Silver Linings Playbook), Tom Hardy (Inception, RocknRolla, Bronson), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Elektra Luxx, 3rd Rock from the Sun), Morgan Freeman (The Shawshank Redemption, The Dark Knight, Se7en), Gary Oldman (The Professional, The Fifth Element) and Michael Caine (Cars 2, Gnomeo & Juliet, Inception, Harry Brown).

Read and see more: shockya.com

2 Ohio churches debate gay issue with billboards

The ongoing debate in churches regarding homosexuality is being argued through 10 billboards with two competing viewpoints in the Toledo area of northwest Ohio.

Toledo's Central United Methodist Church posted a roadside billboard in April that said, "Being Gay Is a Gift from God," and that led the Rev. Tony Scott of the Church on Strayer to offer an opposing point of view, The Blade reported.

Scott's megachurch in Maumee bought nine billboards last week that proclaim, "Being Gay is NOT a Gift from God — Forgiveness, Love, and Eternal Life Are."

"I'm getting hate mail from lesbian and gay people, but my point is that I love them too much to let someone believe a lie," Scott said. "I love this city too much to let a lie be sown."

Lynn Braun, chairwoman of the Methodist church's lead team, said she was not surprised that another church is advertising a different theological opinion.

Read more: chron.com   

Ang Lee's 'Life of Pi' to go deep next year, in 3-D

Most of the movies Hollywood plans to release in 3-D in 2012 share similar subject matter -- superheroes, aliens, superheroes battling aliens. But "Life of Pi," Ang Lee's adaptation of the bestselling spiritual book about a boy stranded alone on a boat with a tiger, will be one of the first largely character-driven movies to test the format, according to Fox Filmed Entertainment Chairman and CEO Tom Rothman, who spoke to an audience of video game, visual effects and other entertainment industry professionals at the 3D Entertainment Summit in Hollywood on Wednesday.

"This book is hard to imagine as a movie," Rothman said of "Life of Pi," which Lee began shooting early this year in Taiwan and India with first-time actor Suraj Sharma as Pi. "It's got two characters, one a young Indian boy and the other a tiger. There's also a boat. And a lot of water. And that is basically it."

Rothman said of the approximately 35 3-D Hollywood movies due in 2012, "most of that quantity is genre-oriented, more male driven. 'Life of Pi' is decidedly not that."

Read more: latimesblogs.latimes.com

West Seattle gay couple target of alleged hate crime

After vandals smashed glass and slashed tires outside the home of Lyle Evans and Chris Ilovar, it's no surprise they immediately made plans to install new padlocks and motion-sensing lights.

But before all that they installed something else.

A flagpole, with the intent to hang two banners -- a rainbow flag and an American flag.

"Awesome," said Evans. "Take that, haters."

It's a message from the gay couple to whoever vandalized their cars and left a letter laced with profanity and statements like "Get the f-- out of our neighborhood. The bible says God forbids men committing indecent act [sic] with other men." ...

The suspect or suspects slashed all the tires on both men's cars, as well as throwing two baseball-sized rocks -- one through Ilovar's passenger-side window, one through Evans' rear windshield.

The note, signed "KKK," was wrapped around the latter, they said.

Read more: king5.com

Discuss this and other stories in The Gay Experience

NEW REVIEW:

The Stylus: Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain has an unwarranted stigma amongst people that have never seen it. It's known as "the gay cowboy movie" to most people and that is unfortunate because Brokeback Mountain is so much more than that. The film deals with issues of betrayal, forbidden love, repression, heartbreak, inner anguish and torment. These are issues that reach the audience on a personal level, regardless of the viewers' sexual orientation.

Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) are hired to herd sheep in Wyoming. In 1963 they spend much of the summer not speaking to each other, as Ennis is quiet and keeps to himself. Soon they begin to bond over conversations in front of the campfire and share stories of the broken homes they came from.

Their bond evolves into a romantic relationship, which Ennis resists every step of the way. Ennis is haunted by the memory of his father taking him to see a man that was beaten to death for being suspected of homosexuality. Ennis and Jack are both married to women and have children, but never feel the bond with their wives they share with each other.

Read more: thestylus.net

Sean Maher on coming out: 'It feels fantastic'

Sean Maher, of NBC's new drama "The Playboy Club," had a big announcement Monday (Sept. 26) - he's coming out of the closet after 14 years of acting in Hollywood and keeping it under wraps. He tells Zap2itthat he couldn't be happier.

"It feels fantastic. The response has been overwhelming," Maher says. "Much greater than I even expected. I kind of can't keep up with the influx, the amounts of calls, Twitter, everyone has just been incredibly supportive. Not that I'm surprised, but I think I didn't expect the grand scale of things. It feels like it's my birthday or something. It kind of is my birthday, I guess."

What prompted Maher's decision to come out now is that his character on "The Playboy Club," created by Chad Hodge, is a closeted homosexual in 1963 and part of an underground group called the Mattachine Society.

"I think I had decided before this role came along that I would [come out], but the role couldn't have been a more perfect platform to do it," says Maher. "I was blown away because I had no knowledge of the Mattachine. I didn't know of any homophile movements pre-Stonewall. I was intrigued as a gay man and an actor."

Read more: zap2it.com

Hollywood Screen Kisses

Here's a twist on the stairwell kiss: it's from the TV show "90210",
but it's not 'Alma' witnessing the smooching second hand.

SAVE THE DATE

Bozeman Public Library Foundation & Out West 2011 proudly present a complimentary performance of:

BEYOND BROKEBACK: A Staged Reading with Music

Saturday, October 1st, 7:00 PM

Bozeman Public Library
Large Community Room
626 E. Main Street
Bozeman, Montana 59715

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:  When this musical artist released her first album in 1985 it became the best-selling debut album of all time. Who was the artist?

Last week's question and answer: When M&M's plain chocolate candies debuted in 1941, what 6 colors would you find when opening a package? What color was replaced in 1949?

According to todayifoundout.com, "The original M&M colors were: red, yellow, brown, green, and violet." The sixth color would have been black: "The “M” printed on the M&Ms was originally printed black. This was changed to white in 1954."

The color that was replaced in 1949 was violet. Also: "M&Ms were served in cardboard tubes when they debuted."

Post of the Day

Posted by Oregondoggie in Annie Proulx

Tonight, Annie Proulx led off the 2011-22012 season of Portland's Arts & Lectures to a sold out house of over 2500.

In a relaxed and twinkling mood, she spoke for an hour about herself and her writing with an understandable emphasis on a new work under way whose theme is world-wide forest degradation. The loss of chestnuts, elms, butternuts, etc.. Then the microphones were opened up for questioning.

I was the first to step forward: "Ms. Proulx," I said, "The Laramie Project, the play based on the murder of Mathew Shepard, has become a formidable vehicle against Gay bashing and hatred. I know you have said, unlike Charles Dickens, story telling trumps social issues, but given that Brokeback Mountain changed many lives, brought resolution to long lost love, would you bless a stage version that could be performed in rural colleges and by local theater groups? If not, why not?"

With a big smile, she said at the moment no one except some Finns are interested. She looked at me. "If you are in theater, perhaps you can take on Brokeback Mountain!" She then went on to recall seeing the Laramie Project in the town of Laramie and the reaction of the local people.

After the program I caught her exiting the stage door. I gave her a post card from Hamley's Saddle Store. "In honor Ennis Del Mar," I said. "Why I didn't know Hamleys was still around," she said grinning like the cheshire cat. "Sure are", I said. "Over in Pendleton. Love Brokeback Mountain," I said. "Like to leave copies in motels on top of the Gideon Bibles!" We shook hands and she was off.

The Forum Image

Posted by Tigs in Life Through The Lens 6

Keepin' It Cowboy

Posted by huntinbuddy in Go West! The Official "Western Images" thread!

Quote of the Day

“He's no failure. He's not dead yet.”

~ William Lloyd George ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by gnash in Photo Captioning Fun 6

hunt for pink october

randall: i just got a great idea... let's surprise our wives
this halloween by dressing up as a couple of gay guys.

Contributors: Oregondoggie, huntinbuddy, Tigs, gnash

Calendar of Events

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at www.davecullen.com/forum.

Today's edition by gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal supports old co-star Michelle Williams

They say a good friend will always come through for you.

And this proved to be true when Jake Gyllenhaal turned up at the premiere of My Week With Marilyn in New York tonight to support his old chum Michelle Williams.

The Brokeback Mountain hunk starred with her in the Oscar-winning hit, which told the story of two gay cowboys.

Michelle, 31, starred as Alma in the 2005 flick, who ended up getting married to Jake's boyfriend in the movie, who was played by tragic Heath Ledger.

She became close to the Australian on the set of the film, and they dated until 2007, having a daughter Matilda Rose in 2005. The cast had become so close they asked Jake Gyllenhaal to be her godfather.

The friendship developed on-set between the pair carried on where they left off as they cuddled on the red carpet together.

Jake looked excited to see the new film, which documents the tense interaction between legendary actor Sir Laurence Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during production of The Prince and the Showgirl.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk

Rick Santorum Bemoans Gay Soldiers Who 'Shower With People'

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum doubled down on his recent comments opposing allowing gay soldiers to serve in the U.S. military, invoking the image of soldiers showering together to explain his support for reinstating the discriminatory "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

"The problem is that sexual activity with people who you are in close quarters with who happen to be of the same sex is different than being open about your sexuality," Santorum said on "Fox News Sunday."

Fox host Chris Wallace pushed back, asking Santorum if he was suggesting gay soldiers would "go after" their colleagues.

Read more: huffingtonpost.com

Gregory Hinton gives some direction during a run through of
"Beyond Brokeback" at Wyoming's Bozeman Public Library.

Bozeman library hosting controversial play about “Brokeback Mountain”

Note: This article appeared in the Bozeman Daily Chronicle prior to the event on October 1st, 2011.

Author Annie Proulx had received a flood of letters after her short story “Brokeback Mountain” was published.

The story, which comes at the end of a 1999 mainstream compilation of short stories about Wyoming, is about the love shared between two male cowboys.

“I remember reading through it and going, ‘What!’” Out West creator and producer Gregory Hinton said. “It shocked everyone.”

Hinton had contacted Proulx about allowing him to piece the letters together, believing them to be a fairly comprehensive oral history of the rural gay west.

“She said ‘No, but it’s a nice idea,’” Hinton said Friday. “Then the book fell into my lap.”

That book, “Beyond Brokeback: Impact of a Film” was taken from over 500,000 posts by members of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum website.

Read more: bozemandailychronicle.com

Pro/Con: Two views of U.S. prohibiting gay men's blood donation

America stands by its policy even as 12 other developed countries now allow donations. Doctors provide perspective on each side.

Last month, the United Kingdom lifted its long-standing ban on accepting blood donations from gay men. Instead, health officials there implemented a new policy that allows men to become blood donors as long as they haven't had sex with another man in the previous year.

With this decision, the U.K. joined France, Italy, Japan and eight other developed countries in allowing gay and bisexual men to contribute to the nation's blood supply. Many of those countries require sexually active gay men to wait a year before giving blood, while others have deferral periods of six months or five years. Some countries have regulations that focus on potential donors' risky sexual behavior rather than their sexual orientation.

In the United States, however, men who have sex with men are still subject to a lifetime ban on donating blood. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration implemented the ban in 1983 after an estimated 10,000 people with the bleeding disorder hemophilia became infected with HIV through transfusions of HIV-tainted blood.

Read more: latimes.com

The real Lili Elbe

Kidman sex change film 'scrapped'

Nicole Kidman's new film project The Danish Girl has been shelved following the departure of actress Rachel Weisz, according to a UK report.

The movie was due to star Kidman as Lili Elbe, the first person in the world to undergo a sex change, and Gwyneth Paltrow was initially signed up as the lead character's wife.

Paltrow pulled out, as did her replacement Charlize Theron, and the project, backed by Kidman's Blossom Films company, was due to move forward with Weisz in the role.

Read more: smh.com.au  Read about Lili Elbe on Wikipedia

Andalucia’s ‘pink pound’

IT was set to be the first ‘gay’ village in the world.

But, somewhat sensibly perhaps, the ‘pueblo blanco’ of Moclinejo (above) has opted to reject a much publicised plan to turn its streets pink.

The ambitious project – the brainwave of gay entrepreneur Javier Checa – involved painting all the village’s 300 houses pink, changing the names of streets to honour gay artists and even creating a park designated for outdoor sex or ‘cruising.’

It offered a somewhat novel solution to the economic crisis for the Axarquia settlement, struggling with high unemployment.

And Checa – organiser of Andalucia’s upcoming international fair Expogays in Torremolinos next week – promised it could transform it into ‘a kind of Ibiza in the Axarquia… where gays are completely free [to do what they want].’

But despite initially welcoming the unusual idea, Moclinejo town hall is simply not ready to come out of the closet.

While it has agreed to build 50 so-called ‘gay’ homes, to be marketed at Expogays exclusively for homosexuals, the village of 1,127 people has ruled definitively that it is not going to hold a referendum to paint the houses pink.

Read more: theolivepress.es

Gay Photographer Reinvents the Pin-Up With Manly Men

When 26-year-old Florida photographer Rion Sabean began his latest project — a series of photographs of men in classic pin-up poses — he had no idea the reaction they'd inspire in people. Sabean's "Men-Ups" casts men in classically masculine configurations (the bearded, the burly, the blue collar) and positions them in Vargas-style poses that are usually reserved for the ultra-feminine women. The result, which he's hoping to turn into a calendar by year's end, is thought-provoking, riveting, and amusing. The Advocate talked with Sabean about his "Men-Ups."

Read more: advocate.com

Anne Hathaway, Kate Winslet among stars using voices for audiobooks

Some of the biggest stars in Hollywood are now finding a way to update some of their own favorite literature, and it simply has to do with lending their voices.

For their new line of upcoming audiobooks, Audible.com has announced that some of the following celebrities have offered up their voices to bring new life to some books that many mainstream audiences have abandoned over the years. For example, Nicole Kidman (who played Virginia Woolf in "The Hours") will be reading the Woolf classic To the Lighthouse, while Kim Basinger is set to tackle the Kate Chopin classic The Awakening.

Read and see more: examiner.com

Who's That Girl?

We know the boy, but who's the girl standing beside him?

OK to be gay? Regional ranking of homophobia

Is it okay to be gay? The recent spate of suicides among young homosexuals said to have been bullied over their sexual identity has raised that simple question as never before. And a new nationwide survey from the University of Chicago suggests that public opinion on homosexuality is sharply divided.

Overall, 44 percent of those who participated in the survey said "sexual relations between two adults of the same sex" is "always wrong" - with 41 percent saying gay sex is "not wrong at all."

But there were big regional differences in attitudes about homosexuality. In which parts of the country are people most accepting of homosexuality? Where are people least accepting?

Read and see more: cbsnews.com

Interactive: Where America's Same-Sex Couples Live

A new analysis of 2010 census data by the Williams Institute shows how same-sex couples are distributed across the nation. Liberal enclaves are well-represented, of course. But so are some surprising pockets of the heartland and the South. Scroll over the map to see the number of same-sex couples per 1,000 households in each county.

Read more: npr.org  

Hollywood Screen Kisses

Here's another not-exactly-Hollywood stairwell kiss, from a French TV show called "Clara Sheller."
It's frantic at first, but once they get out of the stairwell and behind closed doors, things get tender.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question:   What no-budget 1970 film, with a cast of unknowns, revolves around a male homosexual romance set in the American West?

Last week's question and answer: When this musical artist released her first album in 1985 it became the best-selling debut album of all time. Who was the artist?

AZ.bbm was partly correct! He states: "I'm guessing, Whitney Houston's Saving All My Love for You was the best-selling debut album of all time."

According to Wikipedia: "Houston's 1985 debut album, Whitney Houston, became the best-selling debut album by a female act at the time of its release. The album was also named Rolling Stone's Best Album of 1986, as well as ranking at number 254 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Her second studio album, Whitney (1987), became the first album by a female artist to debut at number one on the Billboard 200 albums chart."

Post of the Day

Posted by Lyle (Mooska) in Topic of the Week 157th Edition

There was a novel published in 1950 titled Quatrefoil and it was written by James Fugate, under the pseudonym James Barr, and is a gay love story between two men. In an epilogue to the book, and I think it was a new one written for the edition I had read sometime in the very early 90's, the author wrote something that I've always remembered, but probably in that paraphrased way that we often remember things. He was talking about one of the characters in the book (Phillip if I recall) that had been based on a college fraternity brother he knew and he wrote something like, we were both quietly, very discreetly, homosexual but with one great. When Oscar Wilde's Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name smiled on Phillip, it turned him to stone. I, on the other hand, went prancing out to meet it.

I thought of this at some point when thinking about Jack & Ennis, but what you could attribute this to is anyone's guess. The author of the above thought Phillip acted the way he did because of his father and his attitude and his upbringing in Oklahoma. I am reading a biography of Vivian Vance and she had a very strict religious mother who could have caused her to be like that and never leave home. But she did not. Why do some children follow their inclinations and others don't? Some rebel. Some follow the rules. Is it because some children have a mentor that encourages them to follow their dreams. Are some instinctively rebellious?

In the case of Jack & Ennis we are given few clues in the short story. The Earl incident is the telling one. Ennis is conflicted about his feelings for Jack because it could lead to his demise for all he knows. Why Jack is more outgoing probably has a lot to do with his being involved in something outside the home--the rodeo.

Read the rest of Lyle's post.

The Forum Image

Posted by conny in Life Through The Lens 6

"summer is over here too, so these were my last barefeet days for this year, i guess."

Keepin' It Cowboy

Posted by coal615 in Go West! The Official "Western Images" thread!

Quote of the Day

“I like being a woman, even in a man's world.
After all, men can't wear dresses, but we can wear the pants.”

~ Whitney Houston ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by Heath4Ever in Photo Captioning Fun 6

Ang Lee: Please don't ask why, but would you mind if I took those
gloves and that belt home after we finish shooting this movie?

Contributors: BayCityJohn, lislis, fritzkep, conny, AZ.bbm, Lyle (Mooska), Heath4Ever

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:28:40 AM by gnash »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Auditorium Theater Presents Beyond Brokeback: A Staged Reading with Music

On Sunday, Nov. 13 at 2 p.m., the Auditorium Theater of Roosevelt University will present a screening of the award-winning landmark film Brokeback Mountain, followed by two events: a panel discussion with Chicago historian and film experts, and Beyond Brokeback, a staged reading of messages, essays, poetry, and music inspired by the film.

Tickets for the entire afternoon are $25, $20 and $15, and can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com or at the box office of the Auditorium Theater, 50 E. Congress Parkway, Chicago. For information, call 312-922-2110.

"Beyond Brokeback is a comprehensive oral history of the rural gay West," said playwright Gregory Hinton. "Brokeback Mountain eloquently teaches us what not to do. Beyond Brokeback leads us out of our isolation and into the open - to communities many crave and all deserve."

Members of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum are expected to descend on Chicago for the Midwest premiere of Beyond Brokeback, flying in from as far as Sweden. Devotees of Brokeback Mountain call themselves "Brokies," (akin to the "Trekkie" fans of Star Trek) and travel to Brokeback events all over the world.

"It has been a little more than five years since Brokeback Mountain captured our nation's conscience and imagination. With this production of Beyond Brokeback, we are not only remembering the movie, but we are also embracing its impact and a desire to be inclusive, which is in keeping with Roosevelt University's historic mission of social justice," said Brett Batterson, executive director of the Auditorium Theater of Roosevelt University.

The cast features Darryl Stephens, Liz Pazik, Mary Gearen, Amanda Batterson, Rob Kessler, and Ryan Harrison. Music director is composer Shawn Kirchner.

Beyond Brokeback is directed by David Zak, an instructor in the Theatre Conservatory at Roosevelt University's Chicago College of Performing Arts, the executive director of Pride Films and Plays, and the founder and former artistic director of the Bailiwick Repertory in Chicago

The day-long program begins with the movie at 2 p.m. The panel discussion is at 4:35 p.m. and Beyond Brokeback is at 5:35 p.m. Attendees are invited to come and go as they like.

Hinton adapted Beyond Brokeback from the book Beyond Brokeback: The Impact of a Film, written by members of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum. The book was drawn from the website "The Ultimate Brokeback Forum," which received more than 500,000 posts in the year following the release of the film. Beyond Brokeback includes excerpts of poignant and humorous messages, essays and poetry by writers who are young and old, male and female, gay and straight.

Read more: sacramento.broadwayworld.com

Cameron Mackintosh Confirms Anne Hathaway for LES MISÉRABLES Film

As first reported exclusively by BroadwayWorld back in August, actress Anne Hathaway will join the upcoming film version of LES MISÉRABLES alongside Hugh Jackman and Russell Crowe.

"I'd been hoping we could make a film on LES MISÉRABLES ever since it opened on Broadway...I've got a marvelous cast so far with Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean, Russell Crowe as Javert and Anne Hathaway as Fantine," producer Cameron Mackintosh told BBC Radio today. "We're busy casting the rest of the parts."

In addition to hosting this year's Oscars and being set to appear in the upcoming Batman: The Dark Night sequel, Anne Hathaway's film credits include 'The Princess Diaries,' 'Brokeback Mountain,' 'The Devil Wears Prada,' 'Becoming Jane,' 'Alice in Wonderland,' and 'Rachel Getting Married,' for which she was nominated for an Academy Award.

Read more: broadwayworld.com

Beyond Brokeback at the Clark County Library, Las Vegas

What's that? You can't make it out to Chicago for Beyond Brokeback on November 13th, 2011?

Look very closely between Patricia Nell Warren and Pride in the Saddle: The History of Gay Rodeo.

We'll keep you posted on details as they come in. In the meantime, join in the
discussion over at Beyond Brokeback in Las Vegas - February 12, 2012.

Gregory Hinton and Patricia Nell Warren for KNPR Radio

If you think there were no gay cowboys until Annie Prouix dreamed them up in "Brokeback Mountain," think again. There have been gay and transgender people in the West since its last century. An exhibit that began at the Autry National Center will make some visits over the next year to Clark County Library.

Listen to the interview: knpr.org

Zimbabwe's PM Morgan Tsvangirai in gay rights U-turn

Zimbabwe's Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai has reversed his position on gay rights, saying he now wants them enshrined in a new constitution.

He told the BBC that gay rights were a "human right" that conservative Zimbabweans should respect.

Last year, Mr Tsvangirai joined President Robert Mugabe in opposing homosexuality.

The fractious coalition formed by the two leaders has promised political reforms ahead of next year's elections.

Zimbabwe is in the process of drafting a new constitution, which will be put to a referendum ahead of the elections.

Homosexual acts are currently illegal in Zimbabwe, as in most African countries where many people view homosexuality as un-Christian and un-African. ...

Zimbabwe's long-time leader Mr Mugabe - a practising Christian - once said gays were "worse than pigs and dogs", sparking international condemnation.

In March 2010, Mr Tsvangirai said gay rights was not up for discussion in Zimbabwe.

"I totally agree with the president," he said at the time.

Read more: bbc.co.uk

Will it get better? Discuss this and other stories in the Is society really as accepting as it claims? thread.

Linda Cardellini Expecting First Child

Freaks, geeks … and a baby on the way.

Linda Cardellini (Brokeback Mountain's Cassie Cartwright) is expecting her first child with boyfriend Steven Rodriguez early next year, her rep tells PEOPLE exclusively.

“They’re excited to start a family together,” says the rep.

Read more: celebritybabies.people.com

Johnny Depp pays tribute to Heath Ledger, Hunter Thompson

In our latest chat with Johnny Depp, he revealed that an area in his Caribbean island was named after the late actor, Heath Ledger. We also talked about “The Rum Diary,” a film adaptation of the debut novel of another late friend of Johnny’s, Hunter S. Thompson.

Johnny found the manuscript of the unpublished novel while he was visiting Hunter, who is known as the creator of gonzo journalism. It took many years for the actor to bring Hunter’s novel to the big screen. It was inspired by the journalist’s experiences in Puerto Rico in the 1960s. Hunter shot and killed himself in 2005. Excerpts of our interview with Johnny:

Who from your acting family have visited your island?

Not many. After Heath Ledger passed into eternity, I thought that his family could use a bit of time away from the madness. There’s a place in the island that we’ve named after Heath.

Who else? Tim (Burton) has been down there a couple of times. We deciphered what “Alice in Wonderland” was going to be while we were sitting on a sand bar in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Read the rest of the interview: entertainment.inquirer.net

Gay man founded brutally murdered in Scotland

A barman beaten and set on fire in an alleged homophobic attack may have been sexually assaulted before he was killed, police said last night.

The body of 28-year-old Stuart Walker was found in an empty industrial estate in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The openly gay barman was the victim of a ‘violent and sustained’ attack as he walked back from a house party.

In the hours after his death, his small community of Cumnock, Ayrshire, was rife with rumours he was targeted because of his sexuality.

Strathclyde Police have refused to confirm or deny this but Divisional Commander John Thomson said the  victim’s lifestyle was the ‘main focus’ of his inquiries.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk

Does it get better? Discuss this and other stories in the Gay Bashing thread.

Justin Bieber, George Clooney, Jake Gyllenhaal Talk About Falling In Love

Jake Gyllenhaal, Justin Beiber, Seal, Professor Green, Joe Jonas, Nathan Sykes, Adam Garcia and George Clooney are among the celebrities opening up on the mysterious world of falling in love. The November issue of Cosmopolitan explores how men’s attitudes to falling in love changes, from their formative years to being a fully-fledged male. Here are some titbits:

Justin Bieber, 17
“You just know when you’re falling in love. It’s not complicated; it just happens. You know when you see an old couple who have clearly been together 50-plus years? I want to be in love like that when I’m older.”

Jake Gyllenhaal, 30
“The wonderful part about falling love is the time spent naked...the times spent intimate like that.”

George Clooney, 50
“We all like to believe in Cinderella - that she comes to the ball and their eyes meet and she’s perfect for him and he’s perfect for her. I don’t know that it necessarily works all the time, but it happened to my parents. My father was MC of the Miss Kentucky pageant and my mum was in it. He took her on a date and asked her to marry him immediately. They’re still together, so I know love at first sight can work.”

Read more: huffingtonpost.co.uk  

The Bowl Truth

Your stools can reveal a lot about your health, if you learn to read them.

LET'S FACE IT: DIGESTION HAPPENS.

Few of us, however, are able to talk about the end result without embarrassment. It's too bad we're not more willing to pay attention to our stools, because they may be just as useful in diagnosing our health as taking our temperature or our blood pressure. "People can tell a measure of their health by their bowel movement," says Ted Loftness, M.D., an internist in Litchfield, Minn. "Nothing is so overrated as sex and so underrated as a good bowel movement."

From your stool you may be able to get clues about your diet, your gastrointestinal health, and even whether your stress, anger, or anxiety levels are too high.

Read more: findarticles.com  

Who's That Girl?

This actress, who recently starred in a popular Showtime series, and her
boyfriend David Harbour (Brokeback Mountain's Randall Malone) shared
kisses as they spent time with each other in New York City earlier this week.

Read more: starpulse.com

Hollywood Screen Kisses

Here's a kiss under special circumstances, with the musical stylings of Giorgio Moroder!
Watch Brad Davis just say no in the famous shower scene from "Midnight Express."

Remembering Dal

By Ellen (tellyouwhat) in Saying Goodbye to Dal, a forum friend

Friends,

On Saturday, 10/15, Dal's family hosted an intimate, casual memorial service in the home of a relative.  I was honored to attend.

I will share with you two details from the service that I think will have meaning.

Dal's sister, Lesley, led the service.  She spoke about memories of her brother and their close relationship.  She played music that both of them had shared and she said Dal was a Bob Dylan fan.  She played a recording of Bob Dylan singing Donovan's  "Catch the Wind."  If anyone wants to listen to this moving song here is a link of a video of Donovan and Crystal Gayle singing the song, (I couldn't find it by Dylan on youtube):

Donovan, Crystal Gayle "Try and Catch the Wind"

Lesley told the group that after Dal had passed, her mother was going through some of his clothing and found, in the pocket of one of his shirts, a note that said, "Mom and Lesley, I love you.  Always have, and always will."

I don't know if there was anyone else there, even Lesley, who might recognize that gesture as a possible Brokeback reference.

Dal, I swear.

Fun Question of the Week

This week's question: The two highest rated episodes of the "Batman" TV series (starring Adam West and Burt Ward) featured what villain, played by whom?

Last week's question and answer: What no-budget 1970 film, with a cast of unknowns, revolves around a male homosexual romance set in the American West?

Cally answered correctly, and even provided a (Spanish subtitled) youtube clip: Song of the Loon.

From efanzines.com: "Song of the Loon was made into a 1970 movie, certainly a breakthrough in gay history (it was not the first gay film, however; that distinction belongs to The Gay Deceivers from 1969) and the books inspired a spoof, Fruit of the Loon by Ricardo Armory, none other than old friend George Davies - though it seemed to me that the original trio were spoofy enough on their own. In West Hollywood circles, the novels' characters were affectionately known as The Loon Ladies."

"Song of the Loon, the movie, was filmed in Northern California. Every hunky high school jock in the surrounding area was hired, full body painted, and entertained. Location photo by Earl Kemp dated 1970."

Post of the Day

Posted by Tony_ in How Brokeback Affected Me

"Myself, I've given up on suggesting the movie to others. But I do know it is still being discovered, on cable and DVD's, and the intense reaction from some still does occur. I have to wonder, though, if, as more progress is made on gay issues, the focus will more and more shift to a love story, the difficulties of life, intense character studies, and grieving.

"Might be a good Topic of the Week: will the gradual acceptance of gay issues tilt the perception of succeeding audiences away from AP's Rural Destructive Homophobia and more towards a story of two men?

"How will future generations be affected, when the RDF would be a sub-theme, perhaps, similar to the arcane feuds forming the basic foundation of Romeo and Juliet?"

The Forum Image

Posted by ingmarnicebbmt in Life Through The Lens 6

Keepin' It Cowboy

Posted by morrobay in Go West! The Official "Western Images" thread!

Visit www.jamesbama.com to view and purchase
artwork from this contemporary Western Art master.

Quote of the Day

“Man, I really like Vegas.”

~ Elvis Presley ~

Photo Caption of the Day

Posted by Marz in Photo Captioning Fun 6

'Alma loved the new jeep until she found out he had bought it for HIMSELF'

Contributors: Lyle (Mooska), Tony_ ingmarnicebbmt, morrobay, Marz

Calendar of Events

Today's edition by gnash

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:16:39 AM by gnash »
Call Me By Your Name