The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2012  (Read 886187 times)

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
Re: News and Current Events - 2012
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
And I repeat my question from a while back...
do you, or anybody, think Ron Paul can control the actions of Congress and get his "baggage issues" made into law any more than Obama can get his ideas passed?

...he doesn't have a chance, but he would not face the obstructionist opposition of a Party that says give him nothing at everyone else's expense, no matter the cost to the country or the world.
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 09:27:42 AM »
Ron Paul supporter  :) ?

Will wait to see if any Brits are agitated.  In which case, of course.

Not agitated.... ;) :D

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 11:34:16 AM »
  ...he doesn't have a chance, but he would not face the obstructionist opposition of a Party that says give him nothing at everyone else's expense, no matter the cost to the country or the world.

Especially when it comes to health and safety "deregulation", non-enforcement of sexual harassment laws and the gutting of environmental laws.  "Let 'em die [unless they're rich and/or corporations]" is totally consistent with both the GOP and the essentially sociopathic nature of libertarianism.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:43:43 AM by Marge_Innavera »
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

Mitt Romney got less votes in Iowa yesterday than he did in 2008 when he came in a distant second.

I read that $12 million was spent on advertising in Iowa.  The turnout was approximately the
same as in 2008, despite all the talk of how energized the Republicans are this year.  120,000
people participated in the caucuses, out of two million registered voters.  $100 a person.

And the result is basically a tie.  A colossal waste of time (and money).  I can't wait for
Gingrich to attack Romney at the two debates this weekend.  If he doesn't, then why
participate?

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:30 PM »
(an aside)

I usually listen to National Public Radio, and am a regular contributor.  During this Republican Primary season, the NPR programs have had an incessantly Republican slant, which, until now, I have been hearing while ignoring, hoping for the boehner that will give me joy.  That all is about to change, abruptly.This morning, while I was half-listening to "The takeaway" which is essentially NPR's rude-wing styled show - think Limbaugh - I got the wake-up call: their producer is a former Republican party leader!  I will be stopping my sustaining pledge.  I listen(ed) to PBS radio on WGBH, Boston.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »

Republicans do not want the new Consumer Financial Protection Agency so they
thwart anyone nominated for an apoointment to head it up, like Elizabeth Warren.
They have been thwarting Obama's nomination of Richard Cordray for the same position. 

So today while the Senate is in a brief recess, Obama made a "recess appointment"
which basically allows hiim to appoint Cordray without any opposition from the
Republicans.  Of course, the Republicans are furious!  The Reopublicans are claiming
that they aren't on recess because one person will come in just to hit the gavel and
then leave.  Obama did it any way and challenged them to take him to court and tell
that court that this gimmick qualifies as being in session.

Most of the headlines about this are that Obama is appointing him, bucking the GOP.
Of course, Fox News headline is:  Obama's Cordray Appointment Mocks the Constitution.
LOL!  And Boehner is furious.  (Maybe he'll cry.)  He fired off a scathing statement calling
it an unprecedented power grab.  Other mad Republicans are claiming that governmental
accountability is at stake!  Once again, the obstructionist Republicans are arguing about
process and not policy.  And showing she should overwhelmngly be elected to the Senate,
Elizabeth Warren immediately stands up for the President and the appointment with a press
release.

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 12:53:02 PM »
Probably not; but the track record of Paul's supporters is that they wouldn't be bothered if he passed the baggage, lost it at the airport or sold it (no True Libertarian would give it away).  Is that what you wanted to hear?  Of course, there's that pesky matter of a national election and whether or not Paul would be facing an electorate as totally accepting and uncritical as his current followers.  He just might, considering some of the national choices in the past 32 years.

Either way, he'll do less damage than Romney who has a greater chance of being elected. Wonder who Paul's running mate would be... I doubt Romney would be interested....
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
I may have to delete this, should anyone take offense, but, regarding the murdered woman found on the Queen's estate at Sandringham: would the reaction in the UK be....obstinately legalistic, if it turned out to be Princess Beatrice's hat-designer? Just wondering......

Princess Beatrice's hat was designed by a man, Philip Treacy.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
Wonder who Paul's running mate would be...

His son.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »
Is it really a good idea to elect a man as president who will be over eighty during the course of his elected term?
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2012, 01:58:38 PM »
Why not? 80 is the new 60.

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
I read that $12 million was spent on advertising in Iowa.  The turnout was approximately the
same as in 2008, despite all the talk of how energized the Republicans are this year.  120,000
people participated in the caucuses, out of two million registered voters.  $100 a person.

What a poor turn out. Whats that like a 16% turn out? Not good.

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
Is it really a good idea to elect a man as president who will be over eighty during the course of his elected term?

If he's a Republican, it's not a good idea to elect him; if he's a Republican and over 80, it still isn't a good idea, but age has nothing to do with it: they only put up a face to front for the behind-the-scenes schemers, anyway - do you really think Bush II could find his own ass in a sunlit room full of mirrors with both hands??  In case you're wondering why the Republicans are continuing to goof up, think about George HW (Bush I, and former 8-year head of the CIA) having made so many billions of oil dollars for himself, and Cheney - you remember that his company, Haliburton still has not accounted for nine thousand million of our tax dollars.  Bush II really doesn't need to be out there threatening to release his back pages on those who might have the nerve to disagree with him - he's rich, rich, rich - he's won!

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
Who "allowed" it?

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
(an aside)

I usually listen to National Public Radio, and am a regular contributor.  During this Republican Primary season, the NPR programs have had an incessantly Republican slant, which, until now, I have been hearing while ignoring, hoping for the boehner that will give me joy.  That all is about to change, abruptly.This morning, while I was half-listening to "The takeaway" which is essentially NPR's rude-wing styled show - think Limbaugh - I got the wake-up call: their producer is a former Republican party leader!  I will be stopping my sustaining pledge.  I listen(ed) to PBS radio on WGBH, Boston.
I can't figure out who you are talking about.  The show is "produced" by PRI and WNYC.  Different segments have different producers, some are free lance.
I think Arwa Gunja is the lead producer.