The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2012  (Read 886561 times)

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
Re: News and Current Events - 2012
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
  If he's a Republican, it's not a good idea to elect him; if he's a Republican and over 80, it still isn't a good idea, but age has nothing to do with it: they only put up a face to front for the behind-the-scenes schemers, anyway - do you really think Bush II could find his own ass in a sunlit room full of mirrors with both hands??  In case you're wondering why the Republicans are continuing to goof up, think about George HW (Bush I, and former 8-year head of the CIA) having made so many billions of oil dollars for himself, and Cheney - you remember that his company, Haliburton still has not accounted for nine thousand million of our tax dollars.  Bush II really doesn't need to be out there threatening to release his back pages on those who might have the nerve to disagree with him - he's rich, rich, rich - he's won!

Well, from what I know of US politics, it is obviously not good to elect a Republican, but I was thinking of the man himself and how he might suffer. We might like to think that 80 is the new 60, but I certainly don't have the energy I had at 40 say, and certainly not what I had at 20. Being President means doing a great deal of traveling, even without the demands of office. I suspect I would be on my knees doing the job, so God only knows what it would be like for an eighty year old.
Of course  most of the time I kid myself I can still do anything, but it might not be true.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »
Well, from what I know of US politics, it is obviously not good to elect a Republican, but I was thinking of the man himself and how he might suffer. We might like to think that 80 is the new 60, but I certainly don't have the energy I had at 40 say, and certainly not what I had at 20. Being President means doing a great deal of traveling, even without the demands of office. I suspect I would be on my knees doing the job, so God only knows what it would be like for an eighty year old.
Of course  most of the time I kid myself I can still do anything, but it might not be true.

It is an interesting FACT that US presidents generally live longer than their contemporaries.

AND, I believe Ron Paul is 76 now. So he'd be 77 when he took office. The term is just 4 years. Plus, the man's rich (which usually equates to good health) and government health care is extensive.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2012, 04:36:13 PM »
Orchestra conductors live forever too.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2012, 07:49:36 PM »

What a poor turn out. Whats that like a 16% turn out? Not good.

I think they realized there was no one worth voting for.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2012, 08:13:16 PM »
Seriously,  What do you guys think of this guys videos?  I'm kinda freaking out.  To me he makes total sense and it really scares me.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StormCloudsGathering#p/u/4/pnteMtJt73k
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
^^^

Oilgun, this is one of the comments to part 2 of the message, and I agree with it.

Everybody uses 'worthless' fiat currency so it doesn't matter if it fails, the others are just as worthless. Gold is also worthless, you can't eat it.

The strength of a currency is derived from the speculative strength of the economy it is derived from. If the dollar falls it means the economy is failing already and leads to corrective measures such as oil costing more. About time you stinking SUV gas guzzlers! Raise those mileage rates on your cars like everyone else!

In other words, money is mostly in our heads, just like calendars.  I honestly don't believe debt survives much beyond a lifetime.  Other influences expand or contract the economy.

I believe oil is an important resource but it isn't the only resource.

The guy says prepare-- so what does that mean?  If you believe him,
get a hybrid or a bicycle
buy stock in wind farms
and plant a garden.

ETA:  raise chickens  :D

ETAA: naturally this doesn't mean our economy might not collapse!  But IMO it would be mostly because of our vast wealth, which cannot be denied, that is concentrated among a very, very few.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2012, 12:14:16 AM »
Michele Bachmann quits presidential race following poor showing in Iowa

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa--Michele Bachmann announced her exit from the presidential race Wednesday morning following a sixth-place finish in the first-in-the-nation caucus state of Iowa.

"Last night, the people of Iowa spoke with a very clear voice. And so I have decided to stand aside," the Republican representative from Minnesota told reporters during a morning media availability here at the Marriott hotel.

Despite Bachmann's extensive, last-minute tour to visit all 99 of Iowa's counties, her first place finish in the Aug. 13 straw poll, and the state being her place of birth, Iowa Republican caucus voters rejected Bachmann's campaign, handing her 6,073 votes on caucus night--5 percent of the total votes cast in Tuesday night's caucuses.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/michele-bachmann-expected-quit-presidential-race-following-poor-161724564.html
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
Well, we knew that was coming....  ::)

Somebody had posted a comment on the carol burnett parody of star trek (in the humor thread), saying something about how the skit somehow made him think of michelle bachmann in the white house...  :D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:05 AM »
I am so glad that it did!
... Kierkegaard

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2012, 04:19:25 AM »
Michele Bachmann quits presidential race following poor showing in Iowa

WEST DES MOINES, Iowa--Michele Bachmann announced her exit from the presidential race Wednesday morning following a sixth-place finish in the first-in-the-nation caucus state of Iowa.

"Last night, the people of Iowa spoke with a very clear voice. And so I have decided to stand aside," the Republican representative from Minnesota told reporters during a morning media availability here at the Marriott hotel.

Despite Bachmann's extensive, last-minute tour to visit all 99 of Iowa's counties, her first place finish in the Aug. 13 straw poll, and the state being her place of birth, Iowa Republican caucus voters rejected Bachmann's campaign, handing her 6,073 votes on caucus night--5 percent of the total votes cast in Tuesday night's caucuses.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/michele-bachmann-expected-quit-presidential-race-following-poor-161724564.html

I thought that this was such good news. At least that's one irrational idiot out of the way!

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2012, 06:09:44 AM »
I can't figure out who you are talking about.  The show is "produced" by PRI and WNYC.  Different segments have different producers, some are free lance.
I think Arwa Gunja is the lead producer.  

the "takeaway" announcer said on Tuesday that the producer for her program was the past Republican National  co-ordinator, and since I was in the shower I missed his name.  I did catch, however, that he has something to do with PBS's relationship with the NYTimes.
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2012, 07:30:02 AM »
"Twelve baby giant pandas are adjusting to living together in a group after recently leaving their mother at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding in southwest China's Sichuan Province."  

A very high aw-w-w-w-w-w factor, and no issues or evil plots here though preservation of nearly-extinct species could be called a 'hot topic'.

(Click on the image to view)
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2012, 07:36:13 AM »
^^^

Oilgun, this is one of the comments to part 2 of the message, and I agree with it.

In other words, money is mostly in our heads, just like calendars.

Absolutely.  If it came down to survival, things now regarded as valuable, like gold, would be worthless; it takes the formation of community, that boogeyman of libertarians, to come up with something as sophisticated as currency of any kind.

Smithsonian Magazine ran a story last year about laboratory-produced diamonds, which commented that diamonds aren't really all that rare -- their mystique is a product of long-running PR.

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:50 AM »
It is an interesting FACT that US presidents generally live longer than their contemporaries.

AND, I believe Ron Paul is 76 now. So he'd be 77 when he took office. The term is just 4 years. Plus, the man's rich (which usually equates to good health) and government health care is extensive.

Are you saying that Saint Paul would actually submit to government health care?  Well, slap my ass and call me Fanny.   :D

Is it really a good idea to elect a man as president who will be over eighty during the course of his elected term?

Depends on who the Vice President is.

Offline fofol

• Always
  • Obsessed
  • nice day for a white wedding
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2012, 07:42:37 AM »
Absolutely.  If it came down to survival, things now regarded as valuable, like gold, would be worthless; it takes the formation of community, that bogeyman of libertarians, to come up with something as sophisticated as currency of any kind.

Smithsonian Magazine ran a story last year about laboratory-produced diamonds, which commented that diamonds aren't really all that rare -- their mystique is a product of long-running PR.

The mystique of diamonds is almost single-handedly a product of an decades long ad campaign by the DeBeers diamond company.  They are also among the cruelest to their miners - poverty wages and lack of safety equipment/practices...  Of course, after DeBeers had been promoting diamonds as more valuable than a reality-based evaluation would allow, others joined in.  There is, amazingly enough, an actual international diamond cartel which sets the prices, wholesale and retail, by attempting to control the amount of carats released in any given 'season.'
he felt he could paw the white out of the moon