The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gays and the Military - Life after DADT  (Read 60160 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Gays and the Military - Life after DADT
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
I am still astonished at how that photograph has affected me, so I hope you will indulge me I say something about it.

When the picture of the two Navy petty officers was published on various news sites several months ago, I mentioned to Earl that I was eagerly awaiting such an image of two burly Marines similarly engaged in a homecoming kiss.

It arrived Sunday morning, and I've hardly been the same since.

Not to trivialize either event, but I haven't been on such a multiday high since the Saints won the Super Bowl in 2010! It has affected me perilously close to the way our movie has, and that's saying something. Both Brandon and Dalan were kind enough to friend me over on Facebook, and I've been reading their posts about how they met and fell in love. It's a moving story indeed.

(In case anyone is wondering, Brandon is 5'11" and Dalan 6'6", so he's right to refer to Dalan as the giant in the picture!)

Although they had known each other for four years, it was during Brandon's last deployment in Afghanistan that they realized how much they loved one another, and the kiss we see is in fact their first! This was his third deployment, and he was away for six months.

When I see that kiss, I think of Jack and Ennis after four years, but without Alma's unbelieving and disapproving stare.

On the blog JoeMyGod, one bstewart23 replies to a negative post (unedited for language):

Let's also be clear that what they displayed was affection and not sex. The man risked his fucking life in the belief he was protecting ours; the least he deserves is a big wet one, a full-contact bearhug and the long-absent scrape of whiskers against his.

That last phrase completely bowls me over.

I'm also reminded of an aria sung by Dido in Dido and Aeneas by Purcell:

Whence could so much virtue spring?
What storms, what battles did he sing?
Anchises' valour mixt with Venus' charms
How soft in peace, and yet how fierce in arms!

Damn. I am hopelessly in like with those two beautiful men, and wish them all the happiness and success in the world.

Fact is, I feel like a burden has been lifted that I never knew I had.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:28:08 PM by fritzkep »
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 06:07:07 PM »
There's another slightly different version of the interview here, following the one available on the other link. It follows the same one.

http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Gay-Marine-and-boyfriend-in-homecoming-kiss-photo/nHlvWtfRF06u-5VrUGp-IA.cspx#.T0z_J1EVMJE.facebook

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2012, 06:19:34 PM »
Yet another interview. Maybe the best one yet! I can't get enough of this!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/17031000/photo-of-kaneohe-homecoming-kiss-goes-viral#.T0z_zvTeBtM.facebook

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:14 PM »
Yet another (written) interview. The vid is a repeat of the KHON one.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/2012/02/marine-partner-reflect-on-gay-kiss-seen-around-the-globe-the-world-went-away-for-a-few-minutes.html

Morgan, 25, and Wells, 38, have been dating about a month-and-a half and that they've known each other a few years.

"I honestly knew I was in love with him from the first moment I met him," Morgan says, adding that before he came out he had made "a lot of mistakes," including marrying a woman.

During Morgan's six months in Afghanistan, "there was nonstop letter writing every day."

Wells, an oil painter in Oahu, says that when Morgan first asked him out, he said no.

"I didn’t know how much he loved me and how much I was in love with him," Wells says.

The photographed kiss was their first, says Morgan, who re-enlisted in the Marines in October and plans to stay in the military about 3 1/2 more years.

The men say they plan to work with the gay military group Outserve.

Wells says he's not bothered by the sudden fame. "I’m a very shy person," Wells says. "If this helps one troubled teen and gives them hope for the future, if I can help, I will."

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2012, 05:18:14 AM »
welcome europa13 .... any questions, feel free to ask!

Hi all. I just found this forum because of the Marine pictures. I've a crush on them as well.

I think this is a really interesting forum from my perspective. I'm from the US (Wyoming, Idaho) , but live overseas for many years-I live in the Middle East now-non military, non-diplomat-I work for a living.

I'm a flaming queer liberal. Until it comes to that little matter of my 2nd amendment rights. I'm a queer hunter from the west and I get back there as often as possible. Hence, my affinity for the topics on this forum.

Anyway, good to be here, and all the best.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Ever since the picture of the two Navy women kissing upon homecoming was published, I've been waiting and wanting to see one of a Marine. Finally it's here.

I LOVE that pic. Just saw it this morning, posted on my FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150635204168997&set=a.99508193996.91259.579103996&type=1

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
I can't get enough of these guys!!!!

Wow. I love this one, too. Thanks.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: February 29, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »

Thanks for those news report links, Fritz!

Offline atruant

• Obsessed
  • Brokeback is STILL affecting me......
« Reply #54 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Thanks for all the links, Fritz - and for telling us how much this wonderful happening affected you. I agree, close to BBM powerful.
John and Chuck -
Ennis and Jack got us together.

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #55 on: February 29, 2012, 02:53:15 PM »
It is literally my pleasure! I just can't hold it in, I want to share it with everybody!

Still can't get enough, y'all, so I'm still gushing.

The latest interview on MSNBC:

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/msnbc-tv/46574131#46574131

And audio on NPR:

http://pd.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/atc/2012/02/20120228_atc_05.mp3?orgId=1&topicId=1001&ft=3&f=147593937

And a bit of background:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/28/gay-marine-sgt-brandon-morgan-on-a-welcome-home-kiss-that-went-viral.html

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #56 on: February 29, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Something I posted on their walls over on FB:

Hey Dalan and Brandon, praying for both of you, that you may be strong and committed to each other during this time of media onslaught, that you may enjoy it but not be overcome by it. That photo is on my desktop computer at my workplace, the German Armed Forces Command at Dulles Airport. Bless you both!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #57 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:09 PM »
A statement from the creator of the Gay Marines FB page, from where the photo went viral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIINk5Ko3rI

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
An article about the photo in the conservative paper in town, owned by the Moonies, probably to the right of FOX news most of the time. The article is much less negative than I would have thought. Maybe even they are finally accepting the reality of the end of DADT.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/1/gay-marines-kiss-sparks-praise-anger/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:29 PM »
Need to quote some things from this article, even some responses from Dalan Wells, Morgan's partner, which are found in the comments.

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/02/honmarwel.html

"We've known each other for four years, but we only just started going out this last deployment," explains Morgan. "And I've known how I've felt about him - ever since we've met but had to keep it down."

"Down" because it's only been six months since the Don't ask, Don't tell law was repealed. Without it, the couple says they'd likely have reunited with a simple handshake.

"Apparently this photo has been dubbed 'The Kiss Seen or Heard ‘Round the World' and is breaking barriers," says Morgan. "People feel more confident to live their own life and be truthful to who they know they are."

The couple started dating via Facebook two months ago – while Morgan was on his third overseas deployment in four years.

"That's why that kiss was so crazy. It was the first kiss!" says Wells.

Going through the deployment and having nobody to look forward to coming home to, I emailed some friends and they were like, “Yeah, sure, we’ll come see you at the airport.” At one point I just made a general comment on Facebook like, “Wow, loneliness is really starting to sink in.” And he was the first one and the only one to comment on that.

When he said that, I wrote him a very, very long email. He wrote me back, and then it was what seemed like hundreds of emails a day. Every email he sent me I would read a hundred times. Weeks just flew by and I couldn’t wait to get home, and I was like, “When I get home, I’m going to give him the best kiss I can think of.”

All my superiors are happy for me that I finally have a love, someone to be with, that I’m not always hanging out at the single Marine center on the weekend. I believe that the general consensus was that the military didn’t want this, but the people who say that can’t really speak on the behalf of my Marines. My Marines, my family, have welcomed me, they’ve been very happy for me. We’re a family. They care for me the way they always have.

Thanks again guys for the great encouragement here on my favorite daily site. Yes Brandon and I knew each other for 4 years and had an ongoing crush which I did not know was mutual at first. He was very anti-gay kind of extreme christian, "straight" and married once even. So this has been a long road for us over the 4 years. Looking back I see that he was clearly one of those protest too much guys who have something to hide. Then when he came out finally he asked me out a few times and I always said no because of the age difference and I was scared I now realize of opening up to someone so wonderful. So this all began a long time ago but finally happened a few months ago while he was in Afghanistan. Because of the losses and daily pressures over there he was thinking of what his biggest regret was back home, and it was not getting me to go out with him. That was the focus of that first letter he sent me telling me exactly how he felt. I was blown away to finally know how he really feels. We then started writing long letters to each other everyday to keep sane till he finally landed here in Hawaii and we got to have that first kiss after four years of waiting. Guess I feel like I am over explaining things but I know some people thought this was some casual relationship that started on facebook. Again I really appreciate all the kind words on here and all the paintings of mine you guys have bought. that will help with our car search. My old beat up 94 jeep had to go and die the day Brandon got back! Life is strange that way.

@Dalan: I was going to rib you again for wearing that same gray shirt! ;)

Posted by: endo | Feb 29, 2012 1:34:53 PM

Oh No the shirt again! Yes that was the same day still. I guess if we were more media savvy we would have gotten changed. But we did not even have time for dinner that day. Brandon was live on MSNBC with Thomas Roberts this morning right here in the Rec Center where I work. This is what Brandon has been referring to as the Single Marine Center which he credits for us getting together. If I had never had this side job I would not have met him. Oh well the point was in that interview he was wearing his uniform and was very stiff and proper but looked very cute.