The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Pets and Other Animal Friends II  (Read 341427 times)

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
Re: Pets and Other Animal Friends II
« Reply #1185 on: February 13, 2015, 06:22:37 AM »

;D

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1186 on: February 13, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
Aww, dear boy!

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #1187 on: February 13, 2015, 11:48:50 PM »
Re: Adoption standards:  In past decades I've adopted two dogs from the local Humane Society chapter, and most recently one from our County Dog Control's adoption program.  All three times there was a "social worker" interview, which actually made a lot of sense.  Though fortunately it didn't prevent my eligibility for having a dog at home alone while I worked.  (I'm long retired, but still use "I have to go to work now" to tell little Lizzy that she isn't going to go in the car with me.)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1188 on: February 14, 2015, 08:44:56 AM »
Re: Adoption standards:  In past decades I've adopted two dogs from the local Humane Society chapter, and most recently one from our County Dog Control's adoption program.  All three times there was a "social worker" interview, which actually made a lot of sense.  Though fortunately it didn't prevent my eligibility for having a dog at home alone while I worked.  (I'm long retired, but still use "I have to go to work now" to tell little Lizzy that she isn't going to go in the car with me.)

I agree with having interviews and even home visits, which most of the rescue clubs do to prevent the dogs being returned over and over again.  They live in foster homes, not cages in a humane society, so the foster parents know details of the dogs personalities, level of training, if they get along with other dogs, kids and cats, etc. 

Austin had an agenda to be a "no-kill" city for its animal shelters and they don't take the time to do the necessary work, in my opinion.  The day I adopted Buddy, the place was packed, and they were just going through the motions of filling out the forms and getting the animals placed.  Especially people who have never owned a pet need to know how much it will cost them a year in food and vet bills, and what they need to do about training, etc. 

Since I didn't meet with a person for very long, we didn't go over Buddy's history, and I didn't find out until months later that he had a history of seizures.  Not that it would have changed my mind about adopting him, but I was totally unprepared and panicked when he had his first one.

Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2015, 12:50:44 PM »
Adopted a dog in November and it was the best thing I have ever done (and yes it was a process) but has worked out great!

Famed and infamous heiress Patty Hearst was back in the news Monday after a dog she co-owns won its group at the Westminster Kennel Club show.

A shih tzu called Rocket was picked as the top toy dog at New York City's Madison Square Garden.

Hearst is the granddaughter of William Randolph Hearst and gained great notoriety in 1974 when she was kidnapped by the radical group the Symbionese Liberation Army. She was seen brandishing a semiautomatic rifle while robbing a California bank, was pictured in the group's poster holding a machine gun, and later spent almost two years in prison. ..

http://www.peoplepets.com/people/pets/article/0,,20901981,00.html
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #1190 on: March 04, 2015, 04:44:51 AM »
A recent event caught by a photographer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31711446
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
« Reply #1191 on: March 04, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »
I have two *beautiful* Camelia bushes in my conservatory. Problem is " Jack" my 18 month old cat .....keeps biting off the blooms !! I know the Camelia is a close relation of the tea plant.  As us English drink so much tea...and he is an English cat....could this be the reason ?? !!!  :D

ps. I'm a coffee drinker !
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1192 on: March 07, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
I put in an adoption application for Ava on Southern States Rottweiler Resue.

Ava's life was very hard until recently.  She was kept in a small pen outside and had to stand in mud and feces up to her chest for so long that her paws split open.  Luckily a Good Samaritan rescued her and nursed her to health.  Ava came to us when that lady became very sick and Ava needed additional care.  She's now being treated for heartworms and will be spayed before she goes to her forever home.  

She lives with 4 other Rotties in her foster home and gets along well with all of them.  She's very laid back and sweet. While with her foster mom, she has "discovered" toys.  She will make you laugh as you watch her er chew on toys to see what noise she can get them to make, then she stands up and stares at it then bites it again. She follows her foster mom from room to room right now and loves being in the house.  When you sit down she likes to place her beautiful face on your lap and stare into you eyes.  Ava takes her treats very gently and knows to sit to get a treat.  Her personality is one of a kind.

Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1193 on: March 08, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
the app for Ava was approved.  She's being treated for heartworm, then needs to be spayed, then we figure out transport...so moving right along.
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1194 on: March 08, 2015, 01:46:41 PM »
congrats on your new family member!!!

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1195 on: March 12, 2015, 07:03:57 AM »
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1197 on: March 15, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
yet another cat video, but come on, it's still cute...and Kido's owner loves him, and would, even if he got it wrong...

Published on Jan 7, 2013

I know all cats and dogs are smart. The main purpose of sharing this video is not to show how smart Kido is, but to share my joy of knowing that Kido was willing to play shell game with me and he got it right, regardless of how he did it. If you are a pet owner, you know how hard it is to get them to do something, especially on the first time (without previous training). So I am proud of him regardless what harsh comments you may provide.

About Kido
Kido was abandoned twice in the first 6 months of his life. When he was about to be listed on a shelter's kill-list, I met him and he has become the love of my life since then. I could never understand how people would abandon a sweet and fun kitty like Kido. It's their loss and I hope they will realize. I hope all homeless animals can find their forever loving home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXHVs65NFQ
Bye, Felicia

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1198 on: March 17, 2015, 07:05:44 AM »
:D :D

Glad someone found it funny!  ;)

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #1199 on: March 17, 2015, 07:06:47 AM »