The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 367022 times)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6480 on: January 11, 2018, 12:27:38 PM »
Was tonight's the worst TAR episode ever?! I say yes. I'm embarrassed for Belgium.
It was pretty boring, I thought. I wouldn't say it was the worst ever though.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6481 on: January 11, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
Amazing Race 30

The first task of climbing the ladder to receive the clue at the top of the crane looked pretty
daunting and it was promised that if they didn't make it in a certain amount of time the thing
would lower and they'd have to do it again. I was hoping that would happen at least once, but
everyone did it on their first try, even though some clues flew off and landed on the ground.

That looked so hard to do! At least one person said their arms were killing them after.

What I didn't understand is that since all the teams were together getting the clue at the
chocolate shop, why about half of them got lost and didn't find the place as quickly.

The detour tasks involved setting block print type correctly or appraising three diamonds.
Most of those choosing the block print task finished before the diamond appraising. It was
amusing when that one girl dropped a diamond...I was wondering what would've happened
if she lost it.

Those two tasks were both boring.

The twin firefighters switched tasks, usually a bad idea all around, but managed to barely place.

Always a bad idea! The fact that it didn't really impede the twins, proves how boring these tasks were!

The last task pitted different team members against each other and which team got eliminated
was determined by the last person left who lost the race. Henry & Evan (Team Yale) had a lot
of trouble with this task, but they arrived early enough to be able to complete one of the rounds
before being eliminated, even though they were getting increasingly tired.

At least it was suspenseful as the Yale team became more exhausted. I thought it was very funny that the race car dude did it so quickly.

The teams in order of finishing:

Big Brother stars: Cody & Jessica (Team Big Brother)
Retired NBA players: Cedric & Shawn (Team Slam Dunk)
X-Games Athletes: Kristi & Jen (Team Extreme)
Classical Musicians: Trevor & Chris (Team Well Strung)
Indy car drivers: Alexander & Conor (Team IndyCar)
Lifeguards: Lucas & Brittany Team Ocean Rescue)
Competitive eaters: Joey & Tim (Team Chomp)
Dating debaters: Henry & Evan (Team Yale)
Firefighting twins: Eric & Daniel (Team Firefighters)

Sarah & April, I'm sorry you have been eliminated from the race.
Yoga Instructors: Sarah & April (Team Goat Yoga Moms)

--Instagram models: Dessie & Kayla (Team Ring Girls)

So glad those goat yoga girls are gone!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6482 on: January 15, 2018, 10:27:16 AM »
Of possible interest to TV watching peopleÖ I always make up some wacky New Years' Resolution. It is usually a resolution that is easy to keep. Some New Years' Resolutions from the past include:

Training myself to type one space instead of two at the end of a sentence
     Wearing a seat belt (when I had never previously worn one before. I live in New Hampshire where we have no laws!)
     Learning to ice fish (and getting a fishing license)

Which brings me to my New Years' Resolution for 2018:
When I was a little kid, Doctor Who was my father's favorite TV show. I was not allowed to watch it, for some reason.... I wouldn't understand it? it was for grown-ups? I had to do my homework? I don't remember.

Therefore, I had never seen a single episode of Doctor Who!

So, on January 1, I set off to watch Doctor Who... all 840 episodes... starting with #1 An Unearthly Child, which apparently aired in 1963. I need to watch about 2.5 episodes a day to finish this project. Thank goodness the first several year's worth are only 25 minutes long. I can well imagine a drinking game where participants must drink a shot every time William Hartnell, the original doctor, says, "my dear child," "my dear boy," "my dear girl," etc... it's driving me mad. In fact, I got to the middle of the second season when I couldn't take it anymore. So, I jumped ahead to 1996 and watched the lovely Doctor Who movie with Paul McGann. It's really more like a rom-com. I continued to alternate watching episodes, so now I'm nearly done with the annoying first doctor's second season and I have watched all of Christopher Eccleston's season, which was boring as hell until "Hello!" John Barrowman showed up! 

So, now I have two starting points: I've watched from episode 1-57 and 668-681... I'm 355 episodes away from my Dad's Doctor (Tom Baker), and 121 away from the most recent episode. Am I enjoying this? Hard to say, although I did knit my cat a Dalek costume...

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6483 on: January 15, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Of possible interest to TV watching peopleÖ I always make up some wacky New Years' Resolution. It is usually a resolution that is easy to keep. Some New Years' Resolutions from the past include:

Training myself to type one space instead of two at the end of a sentence

I will forever type two spaces.  To me, one space doesn't look like enough.

So, now I have two starting points: I've watched from episode 1-57 and 668-681... I'm 355 episodes away from my Dad's Doctor (Tom Baker), and 121 away from the most recent episode. Am I enjoying this? Hard to say, although I did knit my cat a Dalek costume...

Kitty looks really cute in it!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6484 on: January 15, 2018, 02:19:36 PM »

And the thought bubble above cat: "What the hell has she put on me THIS time??" :laugh:
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6485 on: January 15, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
He loves it!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6486 on: January 15, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
EXTERMINATE!!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6487 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:57 AM »
Love it! (I think he must be better in the 3rd dimension than a Dalek would be ;))
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6488 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:25 AM »
I watch Doctor Who because my son and family do, and enjoy it on the whole, though I often need the children to elucidate.:) I don’t like the Daleks, Cybermen etc - I prefer the more imaginative situations.

Spellcheck has a thing about Tom Daley. Keeps changing Daleks...
There were only the two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawk's back and the crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below, suspended above ordinary affairs....

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6489 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:29 AM »
I don't know if the new version will have you changing your opinion, but so far it has dealt with issues that are new to these characters, much in the way of aging or times changing, since the original. It was off for several weeks and returned this past week with an amusing show. I'm finding it worthwhile.
Re Will and Grace:
Iíve watched the first two. I donít dislike it, and had quite a few laughs, but I somehow canít really take to it, I think mainly because the characters just donít appeal, although I am rather fond of Jack. I might try one more, but donít think Iíll continue. Sorry!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6490 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:49 AM »

Spellcheck has a thing about Tom Daley. Keeps changing Daleks...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6491 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
I will forever type two spaces.  To me, one space doesn't look like enough.

It used to be the standard thing. Why/when did that change?
Now sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6493 on: January 16, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
I caught the first two episodes of the new season of Victoria on Masterpiece on PBS Sunday night.

A plethora of attractive young men. ...

Unless I miss my guess, they are about to begin a gay subplot. In the second episode, the prime minister's hot secretary had a moment with an attractive young soldier, whose job in the palace so far has escaped me. Their brief encounter included a number of what used to be called pregnant pauses.  ;D There seemed to be an undercurrent to the secretary's remark, "I never go anywhere without my tinderbox."  ;D

On IMDb I was able to track down the actor who plays Drummond, the secretary, because I caught the character's name. I thought I caught the soldier's name, but it seems I was mistaken. I wasn't able to track him down.

If TV Guide is correct, the episodes are scheduled to be repeated this Thursday evening. I'm planning to watch and will pay special attention to catch the soldier's name. I have, however, noticed in the past that just because something is scheduled for the PBS network doesn't necessarily mean it will be run on our local affiliate.

The episodes are probably available to be watched on line, but I've never done that. I've always assumed that I don't have the patience to sit in front of my computer screen to watch a TV show.

(Any watching of something from my PC on my television is not possible because I'm using an antique 1990s TV set. The set has great color and great sound, so I see no reason to dispose of it just because newer technology is available. My viewing habits probably wouldn't change anyway.)