The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 393226 times)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6480 on: January 15, 2018, 02:23:53 PM »
He loves it!

"In the gentle fall of rain I still hear my God. In the thunder I still hear Thor."

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3
« Reply #6481 on: January 15, 2018, 02:24:15 PM »
EXTERMINATE!!

"In the gentle fall of rain I still hear my God. In the thunder I still hear Thor."

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6482 on: January 16, 2018, 01:12:57 AM »
Love it! (I think he must be better in the 3rd dimension than a Dalek would be ;))
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6483 on: January 16, 2018, 01:15:25 AM »
I watch Doctor Who because my son and family do, and enjoy it on the whole, though I often need the children to elucidate.:) I don’t like the Daleks, Cybermen etc - I prefer the more imaginative situations.

Spellcheck has a thing about Tom Daley. Keeps changing Daleks...
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6484 on: January 16, 2018, 01:32:29 AM »
I don't know if the new version will have you changing your opinion, but so far it has dealt with issues that are new to these characters, much in the way of aging or times changing, since the original. It was off for several weeks and returned this past week with an amusing show. I'm finding it worthwhile.
Re Will and Grace:
I’ve watched the first two. I don’t dislike it, and had quite a few laughs, but I somehow can’t really take to it, I think mainly because the characters just don’t appeal, although I am rather fond of Jack. I might try one more, but don’t think I’ll continue. Sorry!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3
« Reply #6485 on: January 16, 2018, 04:42:49 AM »

Spellcheck has a thing about Tom Daley. Keeps changing Daleks...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6486 on: January 16, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
I will forever type two spaces.  To me, one space doesn't look like enough.

It used to be the standard thing. Why/when did that change?
Now sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6488 on: January 16, 2018, 01:47:51 PM »
I caught the first two episodes of the new season of Victoria on Masterpiece on PBS Sunday night.

A plethora of attractive young men. ...

Unless I miss my guess, they are about to begin a gay subplot. In the second episode, the prime minister's hot secretary had a moment with an attractive young soldier, whose job in the palace so far has escaped me. Their brief encounter included a number of what used to be called pregnant pauses.  ;D There seemed to be an undercurrent to the secretary's remark, "I never go anywhere without my tinderbox."  ;D

On IMDb I was able to track down the actor who plays Drummond, the secretary, because I caught the character's name. I thought I caught the soldier's name, but it seems I was mistaken. I wasn't able to track him down.

If TV Guide is correct, the episodes are scheduled to be repeated this Thursday evening. I'm planning to watch and will pay special attention to catch the soldier's name. I have, however, noticed in the past that just because something is scheduled for the PBS network doesn't necessarily mean it will be run on our local affiliate.

The episodes are probably available to be watched on line, but I've never done that. I've always assumed that I don't have the patience to sit in front of my computer screen to watch a TV show.

(Any watching of something from my PC on my television is not possible because I'm using an antique 1990s TV set. The set has great color and great sound, so I see no reason to dispose of it just because newer technology is available. My viewing habits probably wouldn't change anyway.)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6490 on: January 17, 2018, 10:05:23 AM »
It [Amazing Race Ep. #2] was pretty boring, I thought. I wouldn't say it was the worst ever though.

I hope audiences who watched didn't find it boring because I looked up the ratings for the first two episodes
and they were far better than any episode from last spring when they shoved it in because they had to find
a place. It won the time period in the first episode and just missed it the second week by a hair. CBS would
have to keep it going if it keeps doing that well.  Also, The new X-Files season on opposite Amazing Race is
way down from last time. (Maybe that cliff-hanger ending p.o.'d a lot of people.)

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:57:09 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3
« Reply #6491 on: January 17, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

I hope audiences who watched didn't find it boring because I looked up the ratings for the first two episodes
and they were far better than any episode from last spring when they shoved it in because they had to find
a place. It won the time period in the first episode and just missed it the second week by a hair. CBS would
have to keep it going if it keeps doing that well.  Also, The new X-Files season on opposite Amazing Race is
way down from last time. (Maybe that cliff-hangar ending p.o.'d a lot of people.

^^^

I agree!

:laugh:

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6492 on: January 17, 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
It was pretty boring, I thought. I wouldn't say it was the worst ever though.

It was if you pretend that the "Family Edition" season never happened, lol!

"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Skål!
    • AO3
« Reply #6493 on: January 17, 2018, 06:39:11 PM »
It was if you pretend that the "Family Edition" season never happened, lol!

I may have missed that season. I only started watching this show 'recently'... idk, maybe 5 years or so...?

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6494 on: January 17, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »
I may have missed that season. I only started watching this show 'recently'... idk, maybe 5 years or so...?

I just googled it and it was season 8, so yes, it was before your time. The wiki entry says that the "family format had a lukewarm reception" which is quite the understatement. It was really bad, if I remember well, they travelled in RVs and never left North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_8

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 06:55:44 PM by oilgun »
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump