The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 370994 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6540 on: February 04, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
That's so funny! They do love their beer.

Prague was one of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited.

A bit like QC, if you know what I mean  :)

I was in Prag in November, it's only 3 hours away from my place and we used to spend many weekends there. Now not so often, because it has lost lots of its magic with the masses of turists. I remember the first time I was there, we got 5 liters beer for 3 Euros! No way to find that kind of place now. The underground scene was always really fun and active in Prag, but I don't know if I would be able to find it now :(

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6541 on: February 07, 2018, 08:35:02 PM »
TAR - I'm really enjoying tonight's episode. I actually want to visit that "shithole" country, Zimbabwe.
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6542 on: February 08, 2018, 04:53:46 AM »
I was on the phone with my son (who may be deployed to a shithole country someday soon) during the first hour of the show, so I didn't try to commit my reactions to a post as the show progressed. It was too hard to watch the show, type, and to listen to the kid at the same time!

I thought the partner swap worked "amazingly" well- probably because the teammates were very evenly matched in talent, brawn, and brains. This would not have worked too well if one of the partners was pulling more weight than the other. I'm thinking of that deaf kid who competed with his mom several years back. It was difficult to watch when he was presented with a difficult solo challenge- like when he had to identify teas (or something like that? I just remember is was heart-wrenching to watch him get so frustrated with such a difficult challenge) on his own.

I can't believe that horrible woman expected Evan to help her with the challenge. I really dislike her, especially since she said she wanted to punch Evan in the face for not helping her! That said, it was nice to see many of the teams helping each other out in the second half of the night, after the bonding experience of the partner swap.

I thought Evan and Henry did surprisingly well after they encountered the U-Turn. It was admirable of the Indy Team guy to motion to them when they arrived on the mat a moment later and announce something like, "that's exactly why we turned you (Henry and Evan)". They had been double u-turned and still managed to succeed.

By the end of the show, I was falling asleep (I had been up since 3AM!). Bummed to see the firefighter brothers go. That song and dance thing was hilarious. I like how the Indy drivers really stepped up and handled it with humor. Cody looked like he was going to have a nervous breakdown!

The only easy day was yesterday.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6543 on: February 08, 2018, 10:19:03 AM »
 :laugh:
Oilgun!  LOL!

Where was your son talking to you from?  Glad you got to watch anyway.

I wasn't sure about the partner swap, but it was something different.

Yes...It was either Kristi or Jen, but why would anyone "expect" someone else to help them
with the challenge? I mean, you could try and get someone to help you, but to expect it and
then be mad about it is something else.

I didn't really understand why neither of the teams that used the U-Turn didn't do it to Kristi and Jen.
At that point they were the only team to have come in first twice, and also they had always finished
in the top 3.

I'm impressed with Henry and Evan. They've been quite adaptable to whatever it is they need to do.

I, too,  enjoyed the song & dance segment. One thing I always don't like in those situations, though,
and it may be because of the editing, the way the show's edited, but it always seems the first people
that do the task are judged a lot more harshly than the people who are near the end. The first people
seem to have to do it more times and then they get more lenient seeing how everyone is doing. It's
just those judgment calls that don't seem exactly right all the time. It caused the firefighters to come
in last. Was it really deserved over Cody & Jessica? They didn't seem to be doing any better when they
got their clue to proceed. But, like I Said, it could be a matter of editing. I don't know.

I hated seeing all those Celebrity Big Brother commercials during the show. I really could care less about
that. The Ghost Island (Survivor) commercials were interesting, though.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6544 on: February 08, 2018, 10:19:49 AM »

EPISODE 7 finishes:
Alexander & Conor: Indy car drivers (Team IndyCar) [5th, 5th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 4th, 1st]
Lucas & Brittany: Lifeguards (Team Ocean Rescue) [7th, 6th, 8th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 1st]
Henry & Evan: Dating debaters (Team Yale) [3rd, 8th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd]
Eric & Daniel: Firefighting twins (Team Firefighters) [8th, 9th, 7th, 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd]
Kristi & Jen: X-Games Athletes (Team Extreme) [1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 5th]
Cody & Jessica: Big Brother stars (Team Big Brother) [2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 6th, 5th]

EPISODE 8 finishes:
Lucas & Brittany: Lifeguards (Team Ocean Rescue) [7th, 6th, 8th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st]
Kristi & Jen: X-Games Athletes (Team Extreme) [1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd]
Alexander & Conor: Indy car drivers (Team IndyCar) [5th, 5th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 4th, 1st, 3rd]
Henry & Evan: Dating debaters (Team Yale) [3rd, 8th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th]
Cody & Jessica: Big Brother stars (Team Big Brother) [2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 6th, 5th, 5th]

Eric & Daniel, it was close, but you were the last team to arrive and
you have been eliminated from the race.

--Eric & Daniel: Firefighting twins (Team Firefighters) [8th, 9th, 7th, 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 6th]
--Trevor & Chris: Classical Musicians (Team Well Strung) [4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 7th, 7th]
--Joey & Tim: Competitive eaters (Team Chomp) [6th, 7th, 6th, 4th, 8th]
--Cedric & Shawn: Retired NBA players (Team Slam Dunk) [9th, 2nd, 9th, 9th]
--Sarah & April: Yoga Instructors (Team Goat Yoga Moms) [10th, 10th]
--Dessie & Kayla: Instagram models (Team Ring Girls) [11th]

First place finishes:
Kristi & Jen (Leg 1, Leg 6)
Cody & Jessica (Leg 2)
Henry & Evan (Leg 3)
Alexander & Conor (Leg 4, Leg 7)
Lucas & Brittany (Leg 5, Leg 7, Leg 8 )

Because of the "partner switch" two teams finished first in Leg 7.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6545 on: February 08, 2018, 10:29:33 AM »
Bummed to see the firefighter brothers go.

I don't usually read anything about AR the next day, unless I was confused about something in the show
or want to know something I might find out in a recap. Occasionally there are some articles with interviews
of that week's ousted team. Last week Trevor & Chris (Team Well Strung) were eliminated. They were asked
about some of the other teams racing and this is what they had to say about the firefighters:

"Also through the tasks, we had a ton of respect for the firefighters [Eric Guiffreda and Daniel Guiffreda]. They're
just the most earnest, sweet guys who don't have a bad bone in their bodies. They were totally -- I just can't
even describe how kind and awesome they are. I think everybody would be so happy to see them come out in victory.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6546 on: February 08, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
By the end of the show, I was falling asleep (I had been up since 3AM!).

Yikes... :o.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6547 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:08 AM »

Where was your son talking to you from?

A military base  8)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6548 on: February 08, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
it always seems the first people that do the task are judged a lot more harshly than the people who are near the end. The first people seem to have to do it more times and then they get more lenient seeing how everyone is doing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This, a thousand times, this!!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6549 on: February 08, 2018, 11:00:55 AM »
"Also through the tasks, we had a ton of respect for the firefighters [Eric Guiffreda and Daniel Guiffreda]. They're
just the most earnest, sweet guys who don't have a bad bone in their bodies. They were totally -- I just can't
even describe how kind and awesome they are. I think everybody would be so happy to see them come out in victory.

Awww....!  :-*

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6550 on: February 08, 2018, 05:25:27 PM »

I, too,  enjoyed the song & dance segment. One thing I always don't like in those situations, though,
and it may be because of the editing, the way the show's edited, but it always seems the first people
that do the task are judged a lot more harshly than the people who are near the end. The first people
seem to have to do it more times and then they get more lenient seeing how everyone is doing. It's
just those judgment calls that don't seem exactly right all the time. It caused the firefighters to come
in last. Was it really deserved over Cody & Jessica? They didn't seem to be doing any better when they
got their clue to proceed.
But, like I Said, it could be a matter of editing. I don't know.

I agree, Cody & Jessica didn't seem to improve at all. It seemed like the other teams won their clue when they managed ,with their enthusiasm, to get the crowd excited. Cody & Jessica did not even come close. He just looked sullen. (red flag right there, if you ask me)

I hate that fiance couple and how they go on, well mostly her, about how long it's taking for them to get married. I give that marriage two years if they ever do marry.
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #6551 on: February 08, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »

I hate that fiance couple and how they go on, well mostly her, about how long it's taking for them to get married. I give that marriage two years if they ever do marry.

Yes! Doesn't that always happen to people who are engaged forever? Two years may be too long  :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6552 on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:05 AM »

I know it's a matter of reality show "editors/producers" that like to have some
through lines in these shows, but I'm getting annoyed by the constant engagement
references. It was a nice moment. Now it's annoying. I think, though, it's more of the
way Brittany brings it up, than the references themselves. They've been doing well,
recently, let's see what happens if things go south again.

When they won the last leg and another trip: "Yay, double honeymoon."   Double annoying.  :-\

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6553 on: February 15, 2018, 12:07:43 PM »

Ooops!

EPISODE 9 finishes:

Alexander & Conor: Indy car drivers (Team IndyCar) [5th, 5th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 4th, 1st, 3rd, 1st]
Kristi & Jen: X-Games Athletes (Team Extreme) [1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 2nd]
Henry & Evan: Dating debaters (Team Yale) [3rd, 8th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd]
Cody & Jessica: Big Brother stars (Team Big Brother) [2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th]

Lucas & Brittany, you eliminated yourself.

--Lucas & Brittany: Lifeguards (Team Ocean Rescue) [7th, 6th, 8th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st, 5th]
--Eric & Daniel: Firefighting twins (Team Firefighters) [8th, 9th, 7th, 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 6th]
--Trevor & Chris: Classical Musicians (Team Well Strung) [4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 7th, 7th]

Some notes and thoughts on Episode 9:

--The country of Bahrain has never been visited on Amazing Race before.

--When Lucas couldn't find his passport he admitted "he always forgets things."  Hmmm.  He thinks he left it on the plane.
I wonder where he did leave it? Maybe when they have an exit interview we will find out. The passport issue has come up
a handful of times on Amazing Race. On one Race not too long ago, one of the teams lost it on the way to the airport in the
very first episode. Some fan of AR who got caught up in the action at the starting line found the passport and took it to the
team at the airport!

--When the other teams heard of this situation, Jessica told the other teams that "karma was kicking in." Which means some
Karma should kick in for her team, too...for her not helping at all in the following episode, for one.

--In the shipyard task where they had to carry the heavy timber to a scale, it's interesting that no one copied Kristi & Jen's manner
of dragging the timber, which they said was easier, even though they could all see them doing it.

--Cody & Jessica got lost on their way to the shipyard and finished the task last. But ALL the teams had trouble and were lost
on their way to the next task (the pottery jars), but Cody & Jessica arrived there first. After, of course, they had to eat something
called The King of Halwa...which we were never told what it tasted like or what it was made of (or what they drank afterwards), but
they all seemed to like it.

--Looking for the objects in the pottery jars is one of those things that you could get confused about as it was tedious, plus it
was really hot, but they all finally did it, obviously. I do wonder how long it took, though.

--The first two teams out of that task got lost again and so the race car drivers arrived at the camel milking task first.
Was the camel milking task a roadblock task where one person had to choose to do it? I can't really recall, because
I noticed Jessica started to milk the camel first and then Cody took over to do it. It must not have been a roadblock,
because you aren't allowed to change people in a roadblock, once the person chooses to do it.

--Yuck, Cody drank the milk which must have been warm. I do not like warm milk.

--The pit stop was the Tree of Life, which "survives in the desert despite the nearest water source being two miles away."
Phil said no one knows how it survives. Surely scientists must have figured that out in some way by now. No?

--As night fell, Phil intercepted Lucas & Brittany.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6554 on: February 15, 2018, 12:10:02 PM »

EPISODE 10 finishes:

Alexander & Conor: Indy car drivers (Team IndyCar) [5th, 5th, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 4th, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 1st]
Kristi & Jen: X-Games Athletes (Team Extreme) [1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd]
Cody & Jessica: Big Brother stars (Team Big Brother) [2nd, 1st, 5th, 2nd, 6th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 4th, 3rd]
Henry & Evan: Dating debaters (Team Yale) [3rd, 8th, 1st, 6th, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th]

Henry & Evan, I'm sorry to tell you, you are the last team to arrive, but it's a NON-ELIMINATION LEG
and you will be continuing in the race, despite the other three teams feeling that you don't deserve to
for some reason.

--Lucas & Brittany: Lifeguards (Team Ocean Rescue) [7th, 6th, 8th, 8th, 1st, 5th, 1st, 1st, 5th]

Some notes and thoughts on Episode 10:

--I don't mind watching two hours of Amazing Race, but I'd really rather watch an hour once a week for all 12 weeks.

--Off to Thailand!  Their first task was to get their clue in a park with elephant statues, by taking something from the
statues and giving it to a lady in a parasol. Nice touch to have the ladies only be able to receive ONE of those things
per team. It scrambled up the teams a bit.

--Then they had to choose to catch frogs or measure elephants. LOL!

--At the frog catching...Kristi & Jen and Alex & Conor kept saying Cody was good at it because he was a marine.
I guess all those little kids there were marines, too, then, because they were good at it?  Kristi & Jen immediately
changed tasks. (I might've, too, though math might have presented it's own challenge.)  Alex & Conor got the
hang of it and into the spirit and completed it. Cody did it all by himself. The clue should have stipulated each
team member should have had to catch at least one of them.

--I did wonder two things. One, why didn't the boys use their hats (caps) to help hold the frogs. I don't know if it
would have helped.  Two, you have to bring certain clothes with you on Amazing Race and I wondered if you are
allowed to bring gloves. I'd have had an easier time with the frogs if I had gloves on. Other tasks, like carrying
that wood earlier, would have been easier with gloves. I wonder if you can choose to bring gloves with you?

--Henry and Evan had trouble with their elephant moving and thereby that one foot measurement cost them time and
let Kristi & Jen leave before they did.  Kristi & Jen kept saying they "beat Yale at math." They didn't beat them at math,
Henry and Evan had the math right, it was that one measurement they got wrong twice.

--The next task is one that I'd hate. I hate eating things I don't want to. Even if it's something I would normally eat, but
didn't want to when you had to.  In a couple races a team has chosen the penalty time instead of eating whatever it was.
Of course, Cody just did it. Eating scorpions and a frog?  Ugh. I can't even think about having had to do that. On the other
hand, if you weren't doing that, you had scorpions crawling on you. Egads. I'm sure the stingers had been removed, don't
you agree?  Can you imagine going to that restaurant and ordering scorpions. They all did it, though. Congrats to them.

--Off to the "meditation" pit stop.

--That one scene where the three teams, excluding Henry & Evan, were talking about how they think they should be
the final three teams because they're somehow better, confuses me. Especially when Jessica and Cody were talking
about it. They have been less or equal to Henry & Evan in their finishes. As for Kristi & Jen, it's likely if it were not for
that one elephant's moving it's foot all the while they were trying to measure it, Henry & Evan would've beaten them
at that task. Henry & Evan were even U-Turned in that one leg and still beat Cody & Jessica. I don't get this and it makes
me want to root for Henry & Evan to win. So I officially am rooting for them.

First place finishes:
Kristi & Jen (Leg 1, Leg 6)
Cody & Jessica (Leg 2)
Henry & Evan (Leg 3)
Alexander & Conor (Leg 4, Leg 7, Leg 9, Leg 10)
Lucas & Brittany (Leg 5, Leg 7, Leg 8 )

Because of the "partner switch" two teams finished first in Leg 7.