The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 393185 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6630 on: March 26, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
I have seen it.

I have to say, oddly, that because the series was mostly constructed in a backwards fashion, it didn't feel like
the last episode was the last one. That it was over.

Lyle, do you remember the scene with Versace and Andrew having a conversation on the stage of the San Francisco Opera House? Do you recall if that was an actual "flashback" to an earlier episode, one that I missed? I had not seen that scene before and was wondering if it was from one of the episodes I missed.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6631 on: March 26, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »

Yes, there was some of that in a previous episode, but which one I don't recall.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6632 on: March 26, 2018, 02:51:06 PM »
Lyle, do you remember the scene with Versace and Andrew having a conversation on the stage of the San Francisco Opera House? Do you recall if that was an actual "flashback" to an earlier episode, one that I missed? I had not seen that scene before and was wondering if it was from one of the episodes I missed.

Yes, there was some of that in a previous episode, but which one I don't recall.

Thanks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6633 on: March 29, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
OK, I've finally caught another episode of Champions. We know the kid is gay--that's kind of one of the points of the show, I think--but is Andy Favreau's character gay, too?

Seriously, would a straight jock be asking if Princess Diana is walking somebody's deceased dog in heaven?

Of course, the only thing I know about straight jocks is they often look good with their shirts off, so what do I know?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6634 on: March 30, 2018, 11:01:20 AM »
^^^

I don't believe he's supposed to be gay, though after three episodes I don't recall him talking about or dating
anyone, either. In the show synopsis the creators of the show put out they just refer to him as the gym owner's
younger brother and that he's a "gorgeous idiot." It seems to me there are occasions in all sitcoms where a joke
is made where I think "Why would that character say that or know about that or be interested in that?" But then
you laugh (or not) and move on, I guess. Or the show does, lol!

This actor, Andy Favreau, was in one of the funniest sitcom episodes I've seen in a long time.  And it was on
Will & Grace.  It was on not too long ago and Grace realizes she has dated, and had sex with, three men from
the same family. The father, his son, and the son's son.  Andy Favreau was the son's son. Barry Bostwick played
the father, Jerry Wise. I'm not too familiar with the actor playing his son James, Matt Letscher, and Andy Favreau
played J.J. Wise. It was quite a riot. The episode was titled Three Wise Men, heh!

Andy Favreau played Dennis Wilson, of the Beach Boys, in the two season series Aquarius, from a couple summers ago.

He is NOT related to the actor and director Jon Favreau, BUT his older brother with the same name, Jon Favreau, IS the
former speechwriter for Barack Obama.

Wow, pretty impressive.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:14:17 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6635 on: April 04, 2018, 02:59:05 PM »

He reminds me of Ryan Reynolds here, but I can see the resemblance to his brother in the shape of their faces.

He is NOT related to the actor and director Jon Favreau, BUT his older brother with the same name, Jon Favreau, IS the
former speechwriter for Barack Obama.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6636 on: April 08, 2018, 07:23:02 PM »
I am still watching "Instinct" on Sunday nights after 60 Minutes. It really is a good show, and keeps the viewer interested. I was seeing at the beginning of the show that the show is based on the book "Murder Games" by James Patterson and Howard Roughan. I may have to look for the book.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6637 on: April 09, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »

Linda, I haven't checked that show out yet, but I have a question.
Are the stories in each episode one-offs or is it a continuing storyline.
Or does it combine a one-off for each episode along with a continuing
storyline. I guess that's three choices.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6638 on: April 09, 2018, 11:44:27 AM »
I presume a show that's only ten years old isn't old enough to qualify as "Classic," so I'll say here that last night I pulled my DVD set of Moonlight off the shelf and watched the first episode. I was surprised to learn the show was, in fact, ten years old. I was a fan. I never missed an episode. I remember fans made quite a to-do to try to save the show when it was canceled after only one season, but the effort was unsuccessful. I also remember thinking the very last scene of the very last episode was tacked on as a thank-you to the fans.

The show starred Alex O'Loughlin (currently of Hawaii 5-0) as Mick St. John, a private investigator in L.A. who also happened to be a vampire. The leading lady was Sophia Myles, and both of them are more good examples of how actors who were not born in the U.S. can so convincingly make themselves sound American. O'Loughlin is Australian and Sophia Myles is British, but you'd never know it from the way they sound in Moonlight.

(I seem to have gotten myself on some kind of vampire kick over the past week, but never mind!)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6639 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:49 PM »
Don't know if anyone else here is still watching,  but next week  is the season finale of The Walking Dead.

Supposedly, it will be an extended episode that will tie up a lot of loose ends, but I guess we can say we've heard that before for a lot of different shows.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6640 on: April 09, 2018, 09:42:11 PM »
Linda, I haven't checked that show out yet, but I have a question.
Are the stories in each episode one-offs or is it a continuing storyline.
Or does it combine a one-off for each episode along with a continuing
storyline. I guess that's three choices.

The stories in each episode are one off's with the personal lives of the two main characters being a continuing story. The female detective, Lizzie Needham, lost her fiance, who was also a detective, and she is still dealing with this, and Dr. Dylan Reinhart, who is an exCIA  operative, a professor, and a best selling author whose book is on abnormal behavior. His partner who quit law to open up a bar, is his salvation, and they have had their story in each episode.

As the episodes have progressed, we have found the viewer finds out more about each character, their past and their foibles. I enjoy watching it.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6641 on: April 14, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »

Saw this today, and have a lot of mixed emotions going on about it.   I will say I thought Al Pacino was great as Paterno.

review here.

http://footballscoop.com/news/watched-hbos-new-joe-paterno-movie-didnt/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6642 on: April 15, 2018, 07:04:00 PM »
Tonight is the season finale of  The Walking Dead,  and the season premiere of Fear The Walking Dead.

;D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6643 on: April 16, 2018, 10:28:45 PM »
Harry Anderson, ‘Night Court’ Star, Dies at 65

Harry Anderson, the amiable actor who presided over the NBC comedy “Night Court” for nine seasons, has died at his home in Asheville, N.C., according to a local media report. He was 65.

Anderson was found at his home by police officers early Monday , according to a report by WSPA-TV, the CBS affiliate in Spartanburg, S.C. No foul play was suspected, police told the station.

Anderson was a magician-turned-actor who was known as a rabid fan of jazz singer Mel Torme. The affection for Torme was woven into his TV alter ego, Judge Harry Stone, a quirky character who ruled the bench at a Manhattan night court. The sitcom was a mainstay of NBC from 1984 to 1992. Anderson earned three consecutive Emmy nominations for his work on the show from 1985-1987.

Anderson gained national attention after he guest starred as grifter Harry “the Hat” Gittes on NBC’s “Cheers” in the early 1980s. On “Night Court,” Anderson played a goofy but big-hearted judge who encountered a host of oddball characters and cases every week. The series also starred John Larroquette, Richard Moll, Charles Robinson, Marsha Warfield and Markie Post. Anderson also directed two episodes of the series and wrote or co-wrote five episodes during its long run.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/harry-anderson-night-court-dead-at-65-1202754949/
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6644 on: April 17, 2018, 07:20:35 AM »
Harry Anderson, ‘Night Court’ Star, Dies at 65

I heard that this morning. They had a nice appreciation of him on the Today show.