The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 439639 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6780 on: November 08, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
Oh, I was talking about Mindhunter too. What are you watching, Jonn?
Sorry, stuck the S on it, yes, it's Mindhunter with Jonathan Groff, LOVE that series. I hear the next Season won't air until 2019 now.......long time to wait!!  :o :o :o

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6781 on: November 08, 2018, 11:35:43 PM »
I just hope it's not December 2019...

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6782 on: November 13, 2018, 06:45:31 PM »
I'm watching Eastsiders on Netflix now, just a couple episodes at a time. Anyway, has anyone else viewed this series. It's a bit off-beat, but somehow, I'm drawn to it....... :o :o :o

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6783 on: November 20, 2018, 03:31:44 AM »
Patrick Gale won the Emmy for best mini-series with Man in an Orange Shirt. So well-deserved - I’ve rewatched it more than once.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqZIhoalQV_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=13wn8jgj3hm4m
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Call Me by Your Name, André Aciman.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #6784 on: November 20, 2018, 04:25:11 PM »
Patrick Gale won the Emmy for best mini-series with Man in an Orange Shirt. So well-deserved - I’ve rewatched it more than once.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqZIhoalQV_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=13wn8jgj3hm4m

^^^^^ OMG.. so well well deserved!  MIAOS is one of my top 5 favorite "gotos"  (UK broadcast version vs US).. V.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6785 on: November 20, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »
Is there a difference then?
“When we grow older still we’ll speak about those two young men as if they were two strangers..... And we’ll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts.”

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6786 on: November 21, 2018, 03:25:51 AM »
Is there a difference then?
Yeap... Since I almost had the UK version memorized, some of these were WTH... so I covered it in a posting a while back not long after it aired in the US.
For instance, there were several scenes shot from a "something is obscuring the view" vantage and substituted in. In another edit, an entire section of dialog was completely removed.  (no I'm not kidding).  If I can find the posting, I'll surface it again.   V.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6787 on: November 21, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
I do remember you posting it now, Vincent.

I was telling my friend this today, and said I didn’t think there was anything very explicit, and he agreed rather sadly. :)

I liked Julian Morris in it very much, and don’t think I’ve seen him in anything else. He’s sent congratulations to Patrick.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:40:25 PM by gattaca »

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6789 on: November 25, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
I'm watching Eastsiders on Netflix now, just a couple episodes at a time. Anyway, has anyone else viewed this series. It's a bit off-beat, but somehow, I'm drawn to it....... :o :o :o

I just watched it, I don't know if I liked it or not... I like some of the characters, and some situations are really fun, but the quality of the first episodes is terrible. It reminds me of "Please like me", that one is also in Netflix. But I like "Please like me" much better.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6790 on: November 28, 2018, 08:29:25 AM »
OK, I'll admit it. Last night I watched the annual broadcast of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.  ;D

"The real" How the Grinch Stole Christmas has already been broadcast.  ::)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #6791 on: November 28, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
I just watched it, I don't know if I liked it or not... I like some of the characters, and some situations are really fun, but the quality of the first episodes is terrible. It reminds me of "Please like me", that one is also in Netflix. But I like "Please like me" much better.

I quite liked Please Like Me but only saw a few episodes. Is it worth persevering with?

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6792 on: November 28, 2018, 01:47:38 PM »
I think so, it gets more serious at some point and the characters evolve. I really liked it, swallowed the whole show in 2 weeks. 

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
« Reply #6793 on: November 30, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »
^^^^ Wow - episodes 2-5 are that awful? How could they &$&$ up like that!!!
Such high hopes as I watched the first 20 minutes of episode 1 yesterday.   TY for the heads up! V.

** No spoilers **
OK guys. I just finished watching "London Spy" today - all 5 episodes.  I agree - the first episode is just blow-your-mind awesome as almost perfect!   I also agree the last 4 episodes are the lessor when compared to Episode 1.

However, I found episodes 2-5 intriguing and after watching 1, there was not way I could not know what happened in that apartment!  Maybe I'm just a sucker for a good bit of spy twisting.  I helped a lot that the main characters are all actually bound together.  I was really smitten with some of the conversations - too close to home. There was also some well done cinematography.

FWIW, I did not find myself "too far ahead" of the material as in "oh... this is the way that is going to play." I really like to be surprised. I was totally unprepared for final 15-20 minutes of the last episode # 5.  I had to watch that a couple of times all the time going WTF - no way!

There are some great lines and awesome shots.  I just love some of the dialog!  Maybe I'm too easy to impress, after all, I'm one of the few people who really got "Handsome Harry" on so many levels.

Rotten has it at 86% which I also did not expect --> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/london_spy/s01/
other reviews / links
--> https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/london-spy-tv-review-857785
--> https://tv.avclub.com/london-spy-is-for-particular-eyes-only-1798186288

Maybe it's worthy of a 2nd look?  YMMV, Later V.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:11:13 AM by gattaca »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #6794 on: December 08, 2018, 11:58:08 AM »
I never watch reality tv, but have finally found two shows that almost everyone can relate to.  They give a real sense of hope and are uplifting as they look to the future........

Just kidding....

Love After Lockup - The phrase "ball and chain" takes on a whole new meaning in "Love after Lockup." Couples meet their potential future spouses for the first time once the felon gets out of jail and meets the loser/idiot who thinks they can change them.

90 Day Fiancé...good looking male or female from 3rd world country has to marry homely/poor male or female from the US in 90 days for green card.   True love at its finest.   Hours of fun...except that, you know, your tax dollars at work..........