The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2  (Read 463275 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: TV Right Now: The Good, the Bad, and the Totally Sucky - Volume 2
« Reply #6810 on: January 09, 2019, 10:27:53 AM »
^^^

I was pondering about checking that out.  What left you luke warm about it?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6811 on: January 09, 2019, 11:50:49 AM »
^^^

I was pondering about checking that out.  What left you luke warm about it?

(Re: Project Blue Book) I don't think I can answer this without making Spoilers, but it became clear to me that it was going to be one of those shows where the people who want to use the main character for some reason then turn out to be the Bad Guys who try to prevent him from finding out The Truth. It was really driven home to me when a new friend Mrs. Hynek made while she was shopping in a department store was shown taking surreptitious photographs of Dr. Hynek.

The Wikipedia article on J. Allen Hynek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek

I've spotted him when I've watched Close Encounters.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:11:42 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6812 on: January 14, 2019, 01:10:32 PM »
Series 3 of Victoria began running on Masterpiece last night. I need to reserve judgment as to whether it will turn out to be as compelling as Series 2 (but then I admit I'm prejudiced because Series 2 had the gay subplot). Last night certainly wasn't compelling, at least for me, but that might have had something to do with needing to introduce new characters for the series.

Lord Alfred Pager, one-half of the Series 2 gay subplot, returns, but last night there was no sign of the woman he proposed marriage to at the end of Series 2.

I did find it interesting that this series (or at least last night's episode) is clearly pegged to an actual, historical date, 1848, because the revolutions that swept Europe that year are a plot point. Karl Marx was mentioned, too.

It's almost funny that just about every episode or so adds a new child to the Royal Nursery, but this is historically accurate. Victoria hated being pregnant, but she and Prince Albert had nine children born between 1840 and 1857.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #6813 on: January 15, 2019, 08:28:02 PM »
Just watched the Roswell reboot, Roswell, New Mexico. I was a big fan of the original which completely fell apart in the last season. This version is set ten years later with the same characters but played by different actors. Also, the main character, Liz, doesn't know that there are aliens in town. Alien Max is now a cop, alien Michael is still a bad boy and alien isobel is still a bitch. Liz, who seems to be a SJW, returns to Roswell after ten years and quickly gets reunited with Max who clearly still has a thing for her. She gets shot in a totally contrived racist hate crime and he saves her life with his alien powers. "You're fine, it's just ketchup". Because of that incident she eventually figures out that he isn't human but promises to keep his secret. Sister Isobel is not impressed. But whatever, the BEST part of the whole thing is that bad boy Michael, who I always thought should have been gay, IS GAY! Sadly, I doubt there will be a second season.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:35:27 PM by oilgun »
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6814 on: January 16, 2019, 07:22:39 AM »
Just watched the Roswell reboot, Roswell, New Mexico. I was a big fan of the original which completely fell apart in the last season. This version is set ten years later with the same characters but played by different actors. Also, the main character, Liz, doesn't know that there are aliens in town. Alien Max is now a cop, alien Michael is still a bad boy and alien isobel is still a bitch. Liz, who seems to be a SJW, returns to Roswell after ten years and quickly gets reunited with Max who clearly still has a thing for her. She gets shot in a totally contrived racist hate crime and he saves her life with his alien powers. "You're fine, it's just ketchup". Because of that incident she eventually figures out that he isn't human but promises to keep his secret. Sister Isobel is not impressed. But whatever, the BEST part of the whole thing is that bad boy Michael, who I always thought should have been gay, IS GAY! Sadly, I doubt there will be a second season.

Interesting concept, though, a gay alien. Is he gay altogether, or just gay as a human?

Meanwhile, speaking of aliens, I took in another episode of Project Blue Book last night. I'm still reserving judgment, but I will stick with it at least a little longer. We now know more about the woman who took the photos of Hynek, including that she made a lesbian advance on Mrs. Hynek.

In last night's episode, some people in West Virginia reported seeing a flying saucer crash and provided drawings of an alien "monster" (in the drawing the "monster" looked to me like the tree that throws apples at Dorothy on her way to Emerald City).

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6815 on: January 16, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
Just watched the Roswell reboot, Roswell, New Mexico.

I haven't checked it out yet, but on New Year's Eve I walked up the hill to Sunset Blvd. to get a bus to a party I was going to.
As I sat on the bus bench, diagonally across the street I noticed this:

It looked like a UFO had crash landed in the parking lot of the old (and infamous) Tower Records location on Sunset Blvd. It was glowing and
eerie lights were flashing. It was a cold moist night and it was really interesting. It looked better than the feeling you get from this particular photo.
Of course, I then noticed the signage and stuff and figured out it must be a new series coming on the CW. I've passed by it several other times since.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6816 on: January 16, 2019, 12:33:42 PM »
By day:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6817 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:21 PM »

Since the first time I saw it they have a corner fence put around it with the series name on it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6818 on: January 16, 2019, 12:36:29 PM »

What I didn't know is that they also installed an exhibit inside the building where you can "make contact".  It's FREE, though you're advised
to get a ticket. It runs for another week.

This is what I read about that: The Roswell Exhibit allows fans to experience the world of The CWs new series Roswell, New Mexico and have their very own interactive encounter with an alien spaceship as well as other one-of-a-kind photo experiences with elements from the shows sets.  The series is the second television adaptation of the Roswell High book series by Melinda Metz.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6819 on: January 16, 2019, 12:38:41 PM »

P.S.: Tower Records is so famous, in 1974 Guinness said it was the largest music store in the world, that since it closed over ten years ago, no one has been able to take over that location permanently. The longest was a gift and clothing store called Live! on Sunset. It's been used for different kinds of occasions. When they had a new film documentary about Tower Records premiere in 2015, they put up a facade that made it look like Tower Records of old again for a party and since that time, whenever the place hasn't been used for anything, they keep that facade on the building. I'm assuming that when the Roswell thing is over it will go back to looking like that again.  Some people have been trying to get "Landmark Status" for the building, but haven't been successful.  I mean, without the signange and all, it's not what people remember. Two monstrous development projects have been rejected by the city council. (Unusual for West Hollywood's city council to deny ANY consturction project whatsoever.)

Since it closed it's been featured as Tower Records in some movies like The Nice Guys with Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe and both interior and exteriors in Tom Cruise's Rock of Ages movie. along with some other notable spots on the strip.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6820 on: January 16, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »
P.S.: Tower Records is so famous, in 1974 Guinness said it was the largest music store in the world.

Back in the day, the Philly Tower had an entirely separate building for its Classical Music department. That was great. Great place to spend a Sunday afternoon, too, just browsing.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6821 on: January 17, 2019, 12:17:29 PM »

Tower on Sunset did, too. The Classical Annex. It was across the street. Along with Tower Video on the corner of Larrabee St.,
where Jerry Lewis used to have his own restaurant. (He was competing with "Dino's", but by all accounts Jerry's was a mess.)
I bought my first copy of Brokeback Mountain at Tower Video.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #6822 on: January 17, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »
Tower on Sunset did, too. The Classical Annex. It was across the street. Along with Tower Video on the corner of Larrabee St.,
where Jerry Lewis used to have his own restaurant. (He was competing with "Dino's", but by all accounts Jerry's was a mess.)
I bought my first copy of Brokeback Mountain at Tower Video.

I don't remember if we had a Tower Video, but now that you mention it, I think Annex was the term they used here, too.

I got my first copy of Brokeback at our local independent gay bookstore. I could have found it less expensive elsewhere, but I bought it at the bookstore "on principle," to support the store.

(I wonder if Jerry Lewis ever opened a restaurant in Paris? Mess or not, I'm sure it would have been a rousing success.  :D )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6823 on: January 18, 2019, 12:06:12 PM »
Jerry Lewis' restaurant was only started by Jerry Lewis because he was jealous of Dean Martin's successful restaurant "Dino's" and wanted to upstage him. This one upmanship with Martin left Dean just wanting to get out of the restaurant business. (Jerry Lewis was often a prick.) When Martin did walk away, Lewis became uninterested in his own restaurant and it went out of business after 4 years. When Dean left, though, the courts said his restaurant could still use his name and likeness and it lasted a long time.

One reason I read that Dino's lasted such a long time and Jerry's didn't is amusing.  From the article:  "Dean Martin's name suggested a classy evening of good Italian food and wine at his restaurant, whereas Jerry's implied an evening of food being thrown at you by loud waiters and having the entire top lip of the water glass wedged into your mouth."

;D

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #6824 on: January 21, 2019, 07:55:12 AM »
I'm watching The Fall on Netflix right now. Of course I'm hooked on it! Has anyone else seen it before?