The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Classic TV  (Read 446816 times)

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
  • love is a force of nature
Classic TV
« on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

We have had some discussions in the TV thread about some of the older television shows.  Trying to keep that thread more on the current TV programs, some of us thought it would be a nice idea to start another thread and dedicate to some of the older well loved programs.

There have been some great ones, from the 1950's and 1960's with such classics as I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Dick Van Dyke show and Bewitched.  Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, too many to list!

Some of the 60's TV shows carried into the 70's and then the 70's had some ground breaking television...........as they say "and then came Maude"  :D

Mary Tyler Moore continued on with a show of her own, as did Rhoda, and we can't forget Mr. Bunker.

Anyway I thought it may be fun, there are lots of links to old TV programs and I am sure everyone has their fond memories to share.  And let's not forget the cowboys and the westerns.

So I thought just to make this thread a little specific, we could discuss shows from 1950 to late 70's?

And as per the mods lets keep any pics safe for work!   But we do want pics, there are some beautiful ones out there.

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
Re: Classic TV
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
Lyle found a picture for your files:

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
  • The first sign of life in four years...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:40:10 AM »
Love this new thread!!!   Thank you, bubba for the idea and thank you, Chuck for setting up the thread!!!

Can't think of a better bunch of people to be on the first post than the I LOVE LUCY quartet!  Especially since this is Desi Arnaz's birthday.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 09:52:01 AM by Ennis Del Mark »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:26 AM »
I'm reminded of a foreign language phrase book in MAD magazine way back when (before Castro), in which one of the important phrases in the Cuba section was "No, I don't want to visit Desi Arnaz's birthplace". (Another one was, "Pilot, why are we landing in rebel territory?")

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:02 AM »
Any way of transferring some of the discussions on the other TV thread, say from the last two days, about classic TV shows to THIS thread to keep the discussions going?

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

Is this safe for work?

:D

March 2, 1917 Dezi was born, I just checked.  I had no idea, I think it's a sign!!

I have been in Cuba and I never thought to go see where he was born, darn!  :D

You know the thing about shows like Andy Griffith, is they seemed like "regular folk". You could close your eyes and picture a little town like Mayberry, where they still live today in a parallel universe.

I don't mind some of the shows we have now, but it's  just not the same.    I can't drift off to sleep with thoughts of Law and Order SUV.  :-\

And yea maybe we can move our discussions over, we were having some good ones.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:13:30 AM »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
Love this new thread!!!   Thank you, bubba for the idea and thank you, Chuck for setting up the thread!!!

I can't take credit for setting it up, that was Bubba.  ;D

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
Oh no Chuck you guided me in the right direction, I wouldn't have known where to start!  :D

And in "The Celebrity Next Door" episode of "The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour," when Lucy pays $10 to the Mertzes to serve as her maid and butler, that's equal to $81.95 in today's dollars!  No wonder that Fred tells Ethel, "For ten bucks [Lucy] can say anything she wants to about me!"

Ricky and Lucy had way more money then the Mertze's!    The one I watched a week or so ago, Lucy and Ricky bought all new furniture and gave the Mertz's their old stuff.   Fred was a penny pincher!  :D

I was just googling to see what he did for a living - I thought he was the landlord!

It says here he was in vaudeville, was a boxer ....and owned the apartment building!

Can that be right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Mertz

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
I was just googling to see what he did for a living - I thought he was the landlord!

It says here he was in vaudeville, was a boxer ....and owned the apartment building!

Can that be right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Mertz

I wasn't a regular watcher of I Love Lucy, but I do remember episodes where Fred talked about his boxing.  I was never sure if the Mertzs were the landlords or building owners.   There were also episodes where The Copacabana did "Vaudeville Nights" and Fred & Ethel came "out of retirement" and would perform at The Copacabana with Ricky.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 10:56:09 AM »
Owning a brownstone in New York, Fred would be worth knowing!  :D

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 11:20:50 AM »
The Mertzes were retired vaudevillians who bought the apartment building as an investment after leaving show business and managed the building as well as owned it.  Fred was part of an act called Mertz and Kurtz but I got the impression that Kurtz left and that's when Mrs. Mertz--Ethel--teamed up with Fred.  The Mertzes were the Ricardos' best friends, landlords, and (as of episode #61, "The Ricardos Change Apartments", May 18, 1953) down-the-hall neighbors.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:32:03 AM »
So when they all moved to Conneticut (the country) wonder if Fred was suppose to have sold the building?  Loved those episodes, remember the chickens?   :D

Last Sunday I stumbled on an episode of I Love Lucy that I don't recall ever having seen before. It was one of the "Connecticut" episodes. The Ricardos, the Mertzes, and the Ramseys (neighbors) all went to a dance at the country club. To the annoyance of their wives, the men were all gaga over a pretty young thing. The pretty young thing was played by Barbara Eden, in one of her earliest TV roles.

Just found this pic!

http://trakt.tv/show/i-love-lucy/season/6/episode/25
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 11:43:50 AM by bubba »

Offline Ennis Del Mark

• Obsessed
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 11:41:45 AM »
No, Fred still owned the building.  Mrs. Trumbull's sister moved in to manage it.

I do remember the chicken episode.  Hilarious.

Offline bubba

• Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »
oops we posted at the same time!!   So it sounds like Fred had some money, he was just a penny pincher!  :D