The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5  (Read 78068 times)

Offline suelyblu

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
    • suelyblu
Re: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2013, 05:37:02 PM »
I LOVE Electric Light Orchestra!   I keep a box of ticket stubs of all the concerts I've been to, and ELO I seen twice in the late 70's.   Have a number of their albums from that time period.   Jeff Lynne wrote and arranged nearly every one of the songs on those early albums.  The one tour I remember the most was in July 1978  and they were on an epic tour of ciites in the U.S. essentially promoting their new album Out of the Blue.

True to their name, they had a light show at their concerts in the late 70's that I have yet to see matched in todays standards!   I actually bought an ELO DvD several years ago that was recorded live at Wembley Arena in 1978.  Great stuff!

Ah! Memories. I also have ticket stubs from concerts I have seen. (4) Brian Adams.....(3) Willie Nelson......(2) Don Williams
(2) Johnny Mathis......(1) Bon Jovi......(2) John Denver....to name a few. Plus all the programs !! What are we like ?  ;)
"I  know that ghosts have wondered on the earth,
 Be with me always. Take any form. Drive me mad,
 only do not leave me in the dark alone, where I cannot
 find you.
 I cannot live without my life.
 I cannot die without my soul.

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2013, 05:52:16 PM »
Ah! Memories. I also have ticket stubs from concerts I have seen. (4) Brian Adams.....(3) Willie Nelson......(2) Don Williams
(2) Johnny Mathis......(1) Bon Jovi......(2) John Denver....to name a few. Plus all the programs !! What are we like ?  ;)

All I have are the ticket stubs and the memories, of which there are plenty of both!  Too many groups to name.
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
Before Brokeback Mountain came along, this was my favourite movie soundtrack of all time.  Now I cannot decide between them.  I love them both!

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" by Gheorghe Zamfir.  (It is over ten minutes long - just to warn you.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m-6bU4x7us

OMFG!  Me too!

That is so weird!  I LOVE that movie!  I have it on DVD.  I have the book too!

I have NEVER known anyone to have seen it before.  Never!  I am floored!
The only easy day was yesterday.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
  • WHERE THE BLUEBIRDS SING & THERE'S A WHISKY SPRING
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 03:58:45 AM »
Hi Donna

I am glad to have found a fellow fan of "Picnic".  It was the movie which launched Peter Weir as a director of worldwide repute......  well before "Witness", "Dead Poets Society", "Master and Commander" etc.  (As I am sure you know.)

The movie has a beautiful and haunting soundtrack.  I was just a kid when I first saw it, but I think it made me realise how important music in a movie can be.

And as for the visuals - in places they are like something out of a Renoir painting.  Truly beautiful.

Best etc

Glen

That's all we've got. I hope you know that.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:12 AM »
Speaking about the impact that music can have in a movie......

Here is Gabriel's Oboe from "The Mission".  Beautiful, truly beautiful.  Has the same impact as Brokeback with the stunning scenery.

Music by 'maestro' Ennio Morricone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBLbH6vRwk8

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »
Hi Donna
I am glad to have found a fellow fan of "Picnic".  It was the movie which launched Peter Weir as a director of worldwide repute......  well before "Witness", "Dead Poets Society", "Master and Commander" etc.  (As I am sure you know.)
The movie has a beautiful and haunting soundtrack.  I was just a kid when I first saw it, but I think it made me realise how important music in a movie can be.
And as for the visuals - in places they are like something out of a Renoir painting.  Truly beautiful.
Best etc
Glen

Yes, to the Renoir, and yes to the soundtrack with all the crickety chirps of insects....!

I am a backpacker, as you may know, and I so often think of this film when I'm out in the desolate wild.  I'd love to go to Australia.... someday!

I am absolutely going to re-watch this movie today!  I haven't seen it in a few years.  The weirdest thing about this is that I don't watch movies- ever.  I don't know who Peter Weir is, nor have I ever seen the three movies you cite.  Ha hah ha... it was a freak thing that I ever saw BBM in the first place.  I could count on one hand the movies I have seen since I first saw BBM- I'm just not one to sit for two hours- ever.

I first saw PAHR when I was stranded in a hotel during a snowstorm while I was on a backpacking trip.  It must have been in the early 1980s.  I saw BBM for the first time on a similarly ill-fated backpacking trip, under similar circumstances.  I'm afraid to go hiking now, because I don't know what movie I will become obsessed with if there is unsettled weather on the way  :D

Offline Miaisland

• Lady of the midnight sun
  • Obsessed
  • Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2013, 11:20:01 AM »
Before Brokeback Mountain came along, this was my favourite movie soundtrack of all time.  Now I cannot decide between them.  I love them both!

"Picnic at Hanging Rock" by Gheorghe Zamfir.  (It is over ten minutes long - just to warn you.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m-6bU4x7us

This is lovely!
“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline Miaisland

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »
Nina Kinert Through Your Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80b2PIJofpI
“Ours is not the task of fixing the entire world at once, but of stretching out to mend the part of the world that is within our reach.” - Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »
I am absolutely going to re-watch this movie today!  I haven't seen it in a few years.  The weirdest thing about this is that I don't watch movies-

It's a strange little movie in many ways, Donna, but I guess it was a huge mystery in Australia around the time that those girls were killed.  The movie captures the confusion and mystery of it all.

I LOVE the fact that you are not the sort of person who under normal circumstances likes to watch movies.  It proves how strong the pull of these two movies has been for you.

It is fantastic when art speaks to us.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
Did someone mention E.L.O?

Here they are with Olivia Newton-John and "Xanadu".

Sing along now.....  you know you know all the words......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEtEcRLMuFk

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • 00QAD trash
    • AO3
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
I LOVE the fact that you are not the sort of person who under normal circumstances likes to watch movies.  It proves how strong the pull of these two movies has been for you.

That's really the most amazing thing about it! 

Okay, I just discovered my PAHR is on VHS tape.  I'm going to have to hunt down a VCR!

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2013, 02:43:21 PM »
Ah yes, speaking of Olivia Newton John; a timeless talent, much like this song/video from 1971.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrYI5o3_8s
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2013, 03:26:11 PM »
A lot of Olivia Newton-John's early work had a very county feel.

Here she is singing "The Banks of the Ohio".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbOK5dpRuvw

Offline Heath4Ever

• Whippin' babies
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2013, 03:34:48 PM »
This is a very nice Olivia Newton-John song.

"Have You Never Been Mellow?"

Dig that fabulous '70s hairstyle.  I think this was just before the release of Grease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFQZyxxyyM

Offline Miaisland

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
It's a strange little movie in many ways, Donna, but I guess it was a huge mystery in Australia around the time that those girls were killed.  The movie captures the confusion and mystery of it all.

It is fantastic when art speaks to us.

I really need to see this film now.

:)