The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5  (Read 65805 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5
« Reply #1140 on: August 09, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
I don't know from where my gym gets its music, but yesterday I got to work out to Madonna's "Borderline" and "Like a Virgin," and also Eric Carmen's "Hungry Eyes."

I've always thought the refrain from "Hungry Eyes" was really "catchy." I always liked it. I will admit that I forgot it was from Dirty Dancing, which I haven't seen in years, and I can't say whether I ever knew it was written and sung by Eric Carmen. I had to look that up.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1141 on: August 14, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
With 'What About Us,' It's Time To Recognize Pink As the Juggernaut She Is

8/14/2017 by Patrick Crowley

Out of the Y2K class of popstars, who had their bets on P!nk to have one of the most sustainable careers? And yet, here she is. Seventeen years after her debut, her new single “What About Us” holds steady at the top of the U.S. iTunes songs chart, four days after its release Thursday, Aug. 10. In fact, the song soars onto Billboard's Adult Pop Songs radio airplay chart at No. 18, marking the highest debut of P!nk's 22 career entries on the list. It's the highest debut by any song on the chart since Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off" blasted in at a record No. 9 on Sept. 6, 2014. "What About Us" also arrives on Pop Songs at No. 34. (Both latest charts cover airplay in the Aug. 7-13 tracking period, according to Nielsen Music.)

So what is it about the big-voiced vixen that’s allowed her to carve out such an impressive career? With “What About Us,” the answer is obvious: it’s her raw authenticity.

With P!nk’s wild career trajectory, she hardly gets the respect she deserves. It’s possible that her late bloomer status, or her ability to dodge sensational tabloid headlines, has affected to the way she’s measured against her peers. But with a collection of 15 top ten Hot 100 hits as a lead artist -- more than any of her aforementioned peers (Beyoncé has 16 when featured acts are factored in) -- how is it possible that P!nk is still flying under the radar?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7898268/pink-what-about-us-underrated-juggernaut

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1142 on: August 14, 2017, 04:35:11 PM »

Galveston - always one of my favourites!
WISE UP

Ing Kräddi Böll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

"And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1143 on: August 14, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
Forget Katy Perry or Gaga, Kesha is 2017's real pop queen

KATE SOLOMON

The music that filled the charts in the late-Noughties was of questionable quality. Throwaway dance floor-fillers littered the Top 10 and leading the charge was brash pop star Kesha, most famous for looking like she needed a shower and a good nap. Her grammatically dubious hits – Tik Tok, We R Who We R – became anthems for little more than the party lifestyle. But after a traumatic five years, the Californian singer is on the cusp of a resurgence. In a year when some of the decade’s biggest female pop stars have gone back to the musical drawing board, Kesha could become the most successful of them all.

Changing direction is a risk for pop stars – and you can double that risk if you happen to be a pop star who is also a woman in a world where men still dominate the charts. So it’s no small feat for Katy Perry to have discovered politics and minimalist R'n'B; for Lady Gaga to have gone soft-rock or Britney Spears to release an album that was actually good.

When Kesha – newly free-ish of the legal hamstrings that had kept her from working – released her first single in five years, it was a shocking departure. The strikingly raw Praying is unlike anything she had released before. There is no autotune, no brushing her teeth with bourbon, no partying of any kind here. Instead, she has deftly reinvented who she is as a pop star (great voice, big emotions, huge range, super-human strength) while addressing the controversies surrounding her absence and rising magnificently above them.

Kesha ~ Praying

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/artists/pop-industry-awash-authenticity-kesha-has-triumphed-presenting/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1144 on: Today at 04:30:25 PM »
Happy Birthday Madonna!