The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5  (Read 314382 times)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
Re: What Are You Listening to Right Now? - Volume 5
« Reply #1215 on: April 15, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »
Didn't know that version!
Well, Nena is still around, now she is one of the jurors at "The Voice Kids" in Germany.  :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1216 on: April 15, 2018, 01:40:03 PM »
Didn't know that version!
Well, Nena is still around, now she is one of the jurors at "The Voice Kids" in Germany.  :laugh:

I met her not long ago!

Nena had only 2 CDs here in the US.  The group's first two CDs in Europe (Nena & ?) were combined, with some songs off of each put onto one CD and released here as 99 Luftballons.

Nena's 3rd CD in Europe was Feuer und Flamme.   An English version of this CD was released in America as It's All In the Game.  The title track was released as a single and video, but it didn't catch on, the CD didn't sell, and that was the end of Nena's recording career in the US.  The group released one more CD in Europe before breaking up, Eisbrecher.

Here is the American video of "It's All In the Game".

https://vimeo.com/216277473

Jumping ahead to 2016,  Nena was going to tour, and her band (now primarily Americans) kept asking her when she was going to do an American show.  So two shows were booked in America, one in L.A., and one in NYC.  It was jokingly called "The 99 Luftballons across America" tour.   Both dates were sell outs (small indoor arenas) and I paid for a "meet and greet" ticket to meet Nena after the show.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1217 on: April 16, 2018, 02:55:20 AM »
That's so cool, Chuck :)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1218 on: April 16, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
That's so cool, Chuck :)

Oh, it was!   I even remembered to bring a book I got at an import record store, called "The Nena Song and Photos" book.  Interviews with the band, music and lyrics to their songs, and pics of the group.  I got Nena to sign it.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1219 on: April 16, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »
She looks so young there!
Surely you knowit, being a fan, Nena means "little girl" in Spanish. It's also the official translation of "baby", as in come on baby, but I don't think it's really used that way in everyday language.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1220 on: April 16, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
Yeah, I know that.  She's mentioned that in interviews.  ;D

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1221 on: May 03, 2018, 10:28:28 AM »
I love this!

Eivør Pálsdóttir - Trøllabundin
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #1222 on: May 07, 2018, 07:21:14 AM »

We're currently listening to this every evening.

So charming and sophisticated.

Kiri Te Kanawa sings Jerome Kern

THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLA7lutLDM
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #1223 on: May 16, 2018, 07:00:52 AM »
I've always loved the music of Lecouna, and today I was listening to Thomas Tirino play some of his work. But then I noticed a link to someone I had never heard of, Maestro Frank Fernandez (who looks remarkably like Thomas Tirino). Fernandez, a conductor, is also a pianist. If you like Lecouna, you'll love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV6N75z7cRY&list=RDOVdRJsQP_C0&index=1

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1224 on: May 19, 2018, 04:43:31 PM »
Musician, songwriter and producer Reggie Lucas dead at 65.

Reginald Grant Lucas (February 25, 1953 – May 19, 2018) was an American musician, songwriter and record producer.

Early in his career, Lucas was an R&B and jazz guitarist, playing with Billy Paul in the early 1970s and then with Miles Davis from 1972 to 1976.  It was in Davis' electric band (one that included Pete Cosey, Michael Henderson and Al Foster) that Lucas met percussionist Mtume, who would later become his production partner. The two joined singer Roberta Flack's band in 1976, and toured with her for several years.

Following his stint as a touring jazz guitarist, Lucas shifted his focus to songwriting and producing, where he gained both fame and critical praise, at first working as part of a production team with percussionist James Mtume – the two would later go on to write and produce hits for a number of artists, including Stephanie Mills, Phyllis Hyman, Lou Rawls, the Spinners and Roberta Flack.

In 1980, Lucas and Mtume won a Grammy Award for Best R&B song for their composition "Never Knew Love Like This Before", which was performed by Stephanie Mills.

As the 1970s came to a close, Lucas branched out and began to write and produce material by himself. In addition to his own instrumental record (1978), "Survival Themes", one of his first solo projects was  producing Madonna's 1983 self-titled debut album, including the songs "Physical Attraction" (which was a Top 10 dance hit) and  "Borderline", which became her first Top 10 single.  Lucas has since gone on to work with Rebbie Jackson, Randy Crawford and The Four Tops on his own. He was also a member of the short-lived group Sunfire, who released one album in 1982. Lucas produced their single "Young Free and Single".

In 1986, Lucas founded the Jersey City recording studio Quantum Sound. Clients included the Pet Shop Boys, Jodeci, Jeff Buckley and Sepultura.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1225 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:56 PM »
I just spent some time on YouTube, going back through time to the 80s, and reminding myself how much I loved the group Five Star (or 5 Star).

Five Star is a British pop group, formed in 1983 and comprising siblings Stedman, Lorraine, Denise, Doris and Delroy Pearson.

They were pretty popular overseas, but never managed to get mainstream US success.  However, from 1985 - 1990, Five Star managed to get 9 Top 40 R&B chart hits, and they also charted on the Dance Singles/Club Play charts.

Their hits here in the US on the R&B charts were: 

Whenever You're Ready  -  #39

Someone's In Love  -  #36

Another Weekend  -  #23

All Fall Down  -  #16

Are You Man Enough?  -  #15

If I Say Yes  -  #13

Love Take Over  -  #9

Can't Wait Another Minute  -  #7

Let Me Be The One  - #2

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1226 on: May 19, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »
I had to think about you yesterday, Chuck. I friend of mine went yesterday to a Nena's concert with her 6 years old daughter, they were so excited!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1227 on: May 21, 2018, 06:18:03 PM »
Some time ago I discovered a local radio station dedicated music from the late 1970s to the early 1990s. I have my clock radio set to that station, and it's very pleasant to wake up to the music of my youth.

I'm also learning more about the music than I knew at the time. Hearing some songs sends me directly to Google to learn about the lyrics, or the artist, and so forth.

Today it was "I Can Dream About You," by Dan Hartman, used in the film Streets of Fire in the early 1980s.

(Hartman was born and raised not too far from where I was born and raised. He was a closeted gay man and died of an AIDS-related brain tumor in 1994.)

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1228 on: June 13, 2018, 11:52:19 PM »
Not my kind of music, I guess not the kind of music of most of you, but this video has impressed me to such levels. Warning, if you haven't seen it yet, it's not easy to watch. Probably many know it already, I am late to the party, as always.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY&t=0s&index=2&list=PL4Y3Jr0o0RS3dFokgOKLh21Opxc9U0Ead

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #1229 on: June 23, 2018, 07:24:05 AM »
Watching this now - with a huge grin on my face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjvzCTqkBDQ&t=644s
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.