The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: New Members Ask - Experienced Members Respond  (Read 196797 times)

Offline TwistandShout

• Obsessed
  • Jack used a say, 'Ennis Del Mar,' he used a say...
Re: New Members Ask - Experienced Members Respond
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 09:53:37 AM »
If you want to quote something that already has multiple quotes, how do you eliminate some or all of the previous quotes that aren't germane in order to save on space as well as readers' time? Thanks.
". . . So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everything's built on that. That's all we got, boy. . ."

"And that's how come me end up here."

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love...and be loved in return." --"Nature Boy"

Offline pwday

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 11:29:27 AM »
thanks for the replies, and Kitty Hawk, that Search suggestion is a good one, which I'll employ.

Twistandshout, just highlight the portion that you want to quote, right click, and copy.  Then, put the curser in the box where you post, and hit the button that is second from the right just above the box.  It has a picture of a cartoon quote in it.  Then put your cursor between the ] and the [/  , right click, and paste.

It's really easy... I hope you can follow my explanation.
"Anything interesting up there in heaven?"
"I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

Offline TwistandShout

• Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:07 AM »
Thanks, pwday and brokebackbeauty. I've got some sperimentin' to do.
". . . So what we got now is Brokeback Mountain. Everything's built on that. That's all we got, boy. . ."

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love...and be loved in return." --"Nature Boy"

Offline pwday

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2006, 12:13:28 PM »
oh yeah... one more thing... the Preview feature is great!   You can check to make sure you did it correctly before you post.
"Anything interesting up there in heaven?"
"I was just sending up a prayer of thanks."

Offline TwistandShout

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 12:19:22 PM »
oh yeah... one more thing... the Preview feature is great!   You can check to make sure you did it correctly before you post.

Been there, done that.

Your explanations seem to have penetrated this rather thick head. For today, anyways.

Thanks, again!

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 03:31:27 AM »
ok, here's a question: I started a thread which has decent possibilities but NOBODY knows it is there. How do I link it to other threads? Does it have to be thread by thread???
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Offline 64 Zoo Lane

• Obsessed
  • Mad About El Niño
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 09:18:38 AM »
How many of us are there now? (Is this right place to ask this?)
You have no idea how bad it gets

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 09:38:08 AM »
  How many of us are there now? (Is this right place to ask this?)

You can always find the current member count on the main screen ( http://www.davecullen.com/forum/ ) way down at the bottom in the section labeled forum stats
At the moment we are at 3987 members
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline 64 Zoo Lane

• Obsessed
  • Mad About El Niño
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 10:01:22 AM »
Ah yes, thank you very much. I'm still working my way through that front page.
You have no idea how bad it gets

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2006, 07:51:12 PM »
This question was asked in another thread. I'll answer it here so others can see:

Sometimes I have read so much and have to leave.  I want to come back to page 152 of 377 and don't know how to get there --- Can we or will be be able to navigate to a certain page easily...

if you go to any board (ie, one of the pages that lists threads), you will see the word NEW in a blue bubble right after the thread name. if you click it, you will go to where you left off--ie, the first post you have not yet viewed. (but be careful: if you jump ahead, it will reset your place to the furthest point in the thread that you visit.) you can also bookmark any page you're on with your browser, or when you're at a page you want to return to, paste the address from your address bar somewhere (like a Word document,) and paste it back when you want to return.

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2006, 07:14:11 AM »
Here's a photo teckie question for you.  I'm using a lot of photos in The Daily Sheet and am hosting off-line at Snapfish.  Best I can tell, Snapfish will only let me link in either the thumbnail or their full-size photo.  No matter what size photo I import to them, when they convert it to their full-size, I lose a lot of resolution.  I've tried different resolutions/sizes - but the problem remains.  Am I missing somethere here, or is there a better host site that doesn't require this blow-up to the photo?  Jan (co-editor TDS)

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2006, 02:15:25 PM »
A question (from a person who hasn't English as first language) about the terms that mark your 'career' in the forum. It's clear what virgin, experienced, obsessed mean,  I learned 'cowpoke'  but I don't understand what 'feetwet' refers to.
Thanks

helen_uk

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2006, 04:02:47 AM »
Getting one's feet wet is a colloquialism (slang term) meaning that a  person is just beginning to do, or participate in, something new.  A learner in other words.  :)

Hope that helps :) 

Offline dahlia

• lonewolf
  • Obsessed
  • Oändligt är vårt stora äventyr
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2006, 02:31:30 PM »
Perfectly clear, Helen, thanks!
One of the many, positive effects of this movie and forum is that I'm improving my English!

Offline alfbinet

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »
Is there a "Profile" Section for members?  How do I get info like gender and a photo to appear in my posts?
Jim