The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014  (Read 332777 times)

Offline Marge_Innavera

• Obsessed
  • I'M WITH HER
    • Gift of Exile
Re: News and Current Events - 2013 to 2014
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 12:16:12 PM »
Now it's 13 states and D.C.!

Including two states in the Midwest.  Maybe it will "spread" directly south, like a weather front?   :)
" 'Red' states are the meth labs of democracy."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
I'm surprised we've had no comment on the Bradley Manning verdict. ...  ::)

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »

I'm waiting for the sentencing.  ::)
"This is an island. Surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water." - Trump

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
National Security Agency whistleblower Edward Snowden has been granted asylum in Russia.

He left the Moscow airport where he had been stranded for more than a month, according to his Russian lawyer, Anatoly Kucherena, who said that Snowden was issued papers that allowed him to leave Moscow's Sheremetyevo airport, where he had been stuck since his arrival from Hong Kong on 23 June.

“I have just seen him off. He has left for a secure location,” Kucherena told state broadcaster Russia 24.

“Security is a very serious matter for him. I cannot tell you where he is going. I put him in a taxi 15 to 20 minutes ago and gave him his certificate on getting refugee status in the Russian Federation. He can live wherever he wants in Russia. It's his personal choice.”

He said Snowden was not going to stay at any embassy in Moscow, although three Latin American countries have offered to shelter him.

Reports in Russia said Snowden had been granted temporary asylum for one year.

According to the Associated Press, Kucherena said Snowden had accepted a condition laid down by the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, to stop leaking US secrets in return for asylum.

Read more:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/edward-snowden-asylum-russia-nsa
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/edward-snowden-leaves-moscow-airport-live

It’s good to see that things are moving at last  :)

Dead man walking.  We'll see how long he lasts before his car explodes. ;)

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
...... Has anyone ever said what he was doing out driving around
at 4:30 in the morning? That's what I want to know.  Why don't we even know those things? L.A. is not
a particularly "late night" town, or even an "all night" town.  Bars close at 2am here, they aren't 4am or
all night rules.  Where was he, was he with anyone, what was he doing, coming from...no one knows or
has reported these things?  Any other time of day, as I said, I wouldn't be as interested, but 4:30 am in
L.A. is pretty much the zero hour for "anything" going on.

I do have a different belief as to what happened in this tragedy (and it was one), than you, Lyle.  But you have seemed to keep an open mind, and I really appreciate the map you posted, and also, the info above, about what's normal in L.A. after midnight.
Thanks much !

Offline doodler

• Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
Including two states in the Midwest.  Maybe it will "spread" directly south, like a weather front?   :)

Not a chance. Not only is the South unwilling to accept gay marriage, the Boy Scouts will soon be a thing of the past.
In 2010, 606 people (all ages) were accidentally killed by guns.
Almost 3000 teens (15-19) die in traffic accidents a year.
1100 kids under 19 drown each year.
44 kids under 5 died of heat stroke in hot cars in 2013.
HIGH school sports account for 1.2 million trips to the ER annually.

Offline Tony_

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
 About Bradley Manning's sentence.  Let's see.  Ariel Castro gets  life in prison for torturing 3 teen-aged girls.  Manning gets a life sentence, minus 127 days (for having been tortured). Sounds fair....to some?

Meanwhile, for Mr. Snowden, the following music for encouragement, but also a warning.....watch out for those skinheads in Russia, and always check your car !

http://youtu.be/o0xeETLadI4

Offline brokebacktom

• Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »

Why? we all knew what the out-come would be.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 06:33:54 PM »
About Bradley Manning's sentence.  Let's see.  Ariel Castro gets  life in prison for torturing 3 teen-aged girls.  Manning gets a life sentence, minus 127 days (for having been tortured). Sounds fair....to some?

Meanwhile, for Mr. Snowden, the following music for encouragement, but also a warning.....watch out for those skinheads in Russia, and always check your car !

http://youtu.be/o0xeETLadI4

Manning hasn't been sentenced yet, has he?  I haven't seen anything about it.

Also, Snowden, don't eat or drink anything you don't prepare yourself, you know how those ruskies like to poison people. 

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2013, 06:41:47 PM »
And speaking of Russia:

Send A Dildo To Vladimir Putin: 23, Ilyinka Street, Moscow, 103132, Russia.

Join the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1386432698247307/

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2013, 06:46:33 PM »
Uruguay votes to create world's first national legal marijuana market
Proposals likely to become law, leading to innovative policies at odds with the 'war on drugs' philosophy

Uruguay's unprecedented plan to create a legal marijuana market has taken its critical first step in the lower house of Congress.

All 50 members of the ruling Broad Front coalition approved the proposal just before midnight on Wednesday in a party line vote, keeping a narrow majority of the 96 MPs present after more than 13 hours of passionate debate.

The measure now goes to the Senate, where passage is expected to make Uruguay the first country in the world to license and enforce rules for the production, distribution and sale of marijuana for adult consumers.

Legislators in the ruling coalition said putting the government at the centre of a legal marijuana industry is worth trying because the global war on drugs had been a costly and bloody failure, and displacing illegal dealers through licensed marijuana sales could save money and lives.

They also hope to eliminate a legal contradiction in Uruguay, where it has been legal to use marijuana but against the law to sell it, buy it, produce it or possess even one plant.

"Uruguay appears poised, in the weeks ahead, to become the first nation in modern times to create a legal, regulated framework for marijuana," said John Walsh, a drug policy expert at the Washington Office on Latin America. "In doing so, Uruguay will be bravely taking a leading role in establishing and testing a compelling alternative to the prohibitionist paradigm."
[...]

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/aug/01/uruguay-first-legal-marijuana-market

Homer Simpson discovers Uruguay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLVJm7QW3dA
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 06:53:38 PM by oilgun »

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »

I do have a different belief as to what happened in this tragedy (and it was one), than you, Lyle.  But you have seemed to keep an open mind, and I really appreciate the map you posted, and also, the info above, about what's normal in L.A. after midnight.
Thanks much !

@ Lyle, it's not that I disagree with your skepticism on the murder -- I think that is wise and healthy.

But even a mild-mannered person like me has been known to drive around in L.A. at 4:30 in the morning.  I did it in the seventies, a few times, and the same in the 80s, and even in the 90s.  -- Until I moved out of the state.

There usually are people on the road.

ETA: -- not that it was a good idea or anything. I was always really glad to make it home safely.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 04:58:23 AM »
I hope it's a 3 post limit, or else, am over the line.
I'm unable to find any reference to a "3 post limit" in the Forum’s rules, Tony.
Or any other form of “limit,” either, apart from “excessive redundancy,” which doesn’t seem applicable to your (merely three) posts.

Although each time your posts related to the Pope (the Bishop of Rome, not the washing machine) you weren’t labouring the point through repetition, but raising three different Pope-related issues.
So, and unless I'm mistaken, your posts couldn’t be described as “redundant.”

Could you elaborate, please?

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »
I'm surprised we've had no comment on the Bradley Manning verdict. ...  ::)
I was going to make a comment but decided to refrain.

I'm tempted to do it anyway, though, despite the reach of the NSA.  :D

...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 07:03:01 AM »
Why? we all knew what the out-come would be.

Did we? Manning wasn't convicted on all the charges. If I understand correctly, he was acquitted on what the mainstream media I've seen have called the most serious, aiding the enemy.