The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 39004 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:26:29 AM »
Hello DCF members.

This thread is being set up to give you a place to discuss Prisoners.  Please note that spoilers are welcome to be discussed here, so if you have not seen the movie, and don't want anything spoiled, don't read any further.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:11:52 AM »
Sonja, hope to see you asking your questions in the discussion thread I set up!

Well, I'm here... but where is everybody else?  :o  :(

I can't believe I'm the only one on here who saw it and thought Jake was astonishing in his role of Det. David Loki.
The rest of the cast was fabulous too.

I just wish the ending had been a bit more ehm... satisfying - what happened to Keller Dover ultimately? Does this mean we'll get a sequel? *hopeful*

Yes, the movie was dark, some people might say disturbing - but the acting and photography were brilliant!

Anyone else who would like to discuss it? I'm here.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
I think the ending -- when Jake's character hears the whistle -- faintly --

I think that he will know or figure out it must be Jackman's character.

Because he saw that the little girl had a whistle around her neck, and he asked about it, and the mother told him it was new.

So I think he will find Dover
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:42:51 PM by Ellen (tellyouwhat) »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
I like the ending.  I mean it's pretty obvious that David is going to find Keller. 
The real question is what will become of Keller.  Instead of wrapping that up in a neat package, the film allows the viewer to ponder what, if any, societal price he should pay for his actions.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:29:02 PM »
I certainly hope he'll find Keller!

All in all I thought Keller was not very likeable, and yet I felt sorry for him... I felt sorry for all  of them - Anna's parents, Joy's parents, even Loki and Alex (or whatever his name was in the end - I can't remember).

I don't have kids myself and I don't think I can ever fully understand what it feels like to be in a situation like that (missing children), but I nearly cried at some scenes, especially Maria Bello's character's emotional scenes. In the end, when she's in the hospital with Anna, having the conversation with Loki, all I could think was: "I hope she'll be happy - but what if they can't find her husband?"

It's weird, it's the emotions that stand out for me in this film - not the violence or the torture.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »
I just wish the ending had been a bit more ehm... satisfying - what happened to Keller Dover ultimately? Does this mean we'll get a sequel? *hopeful*

I think the ending -- when Jake's character hears the whistle -- faintly --

I think that he will know or figure out it must be Jackman's character.

Because he saw that the little girl had a while around her neck, and he asked about it, and the mother told him it was new.

So I think he will find Dover

I agree with Ellen, I think that Loki would realize the whistle would lead him to Dover.   One thing I was unclear about was how long he was down in the hole under that car.   When she (Holly Jones) shot Dover, she made a comment about wanting him to survive long enough for her to put his daughter in the hole with him.   However, when Loki is reading the paper, the pic of Dover had the headline "Local Man Still Missing", so how many days was he down there?

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
I like the ending.  I mean it's pretty obvious that David is going to find Keller.   The real question is what will become of Keller.  Instead of wrapping that up in a neat package, the film allows the viewer to ponder what, if any, societal price he should pay for his actions.

I looked at the ending realistically, as strange as that is to do with a movie that is a fictional piece.

I assumed that Dover would get a lawyer who would talk about Dover having "post traumatic stress" with the loss of his daughter, the fact that Alex Jones did actually know where the girls were, and that his family had been doing this for years, and the fact that Dover is a family man with no prior record, owns a business, and is a church-goer (assumed, but Dover made numerous references to God and prayer), and I'm thinking he'd get probation.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 04:24:24 PM »
I don't have kids myself and I don't think I can ever fully understand what it feels like to be in a situation like that (missing children), but I nearly cried at some scenes, especially Maria Bello's character's emotional scenes. In the end, when she's in the hospital with Anna, having the conversation with Loki, all I could think was: "I hope she'll be happy - but what if they can't find her husband?"

This was a conversation we had after seeing the movie.....I'm not a parent either, and like you, won't ever understand what it is to be in a situation like that, but there were times watching the movie I was wondering if I would be able to do what Hugh Jackman did.

It also took me a second viewing of the film to understand certain things.  I completely missed the whole point of Bob Taylor in the movie the first time (the guy who was captured and drawing the maze in the station, he had all the cartons of the kids clothes and snakes) but I caught on to what he was there for on the second viewing.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 08:50:38 AM »
I completely missed the whole point of Bob Taylor in the movie the first time (the guy who was captured and drawing the maze in the station, he had all the cartons of the kids clothes and snakes).

Me too. I think Loki spotted him at the vigil, didn't he? Bob ran off - I think Loki later said: "Why did you run away from me, man?" But why did he (Loki) go after him (Bob) in the first place? Why was he a suspect? Just because he ran off? The children's clothes he bought - that was later on in the movie, wasn't it?

I'm also completely puzzled at the mazes (is that a word?) They reminded me of the encrypted letters of 'Zodiac'... and I didn't understand any of that either  ;D

Also: did Bob really kill himself or did Loki accidentally shoot him? Did the police force try to make it look like suicide to protect Loki?

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
I'm at work at the moment, so I'm not supposed to be online.  LOL

I can explain tonight, when I get home.

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:32 PM »
Me too. I think Loki spotted him at the vigil, didn't he? Bob ran off - I think Loki later said: "Why did you run away from me, man?" But why did he (Loki) go after him (Bob) in the first place? Why was he a suspect? Just because he ran off? The children's clothes he bought - that was later on in the movie, wasn't it?

I'm also completely puzzled at the mazes (is that a word?) They reminded me of the encrypted letters of 'Zodiac'... and I didn't understand any of that either  ;D

Also: did Bob really kill himself or did Loki accidentally shoot him? Did the police force try to make it look like suicide to protect Loki?

He sort of looked similar to Alex, didn't he?

Even so, why??? -- except maybe Holly and her husband (the original child abductors) looked for a particular type of kid that reminded them of their own son? --

I don't remember any clue as to how Bob ever got away from the family, did he somehow escape? But did he go back to his real family? Or is that something we don't know?

-------------------

As for how long it had been since Holly put Hugh Jackman under the car, I thought it was a few days, but not much longer.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »

I think he killed himself. What Loki should not have done was lose his cool and run into the room, make contact with Bob -- allowing him to get hold of the gun. But from what I remember of the scene, Bob was the only one who could have pulled the trigger to kill himself.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
I sort of remember Loki looking at his own gun, as if to say: "Did this guy just kill himself or did I shoot him?"  But I could be wrong of course, being focused on Loki  Jake too much...  ::)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:42 PM »
I sort of remember Loki looking at his own gun, as if to say: "Did this guy just kill himself or did I shoot him?" 

Now, I could  make a nice remark on Loki's "gun goin' off", but...  ;)  :D

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

I'm also completely puzzled at the mazes (is that a word?) They reminded me of the encrypted letters of 'Zodiac'... and I didn't understand any of that either  ;D

As for your last question, Bob killed himself.

As for him being at the vigil and the clothes, mazes and stuff.....from what I remember (and understood) he was a child abduction victim who got away, apparently from the aunt and uncle. 

The body that was found in the priest's basement was the uncle who had disappeared years ago.  His necklace had a 'maze' pendant on it, which is why Bob was obsessed with mazes and kidnapped children.  The clothes he had didn't belong to any kids, they were new, except what he took from the families' houses.  He was drawn to the vigil because of his obsession.  He was truly an innocent victim in all this.