The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 37077 times)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:37 PM »
Even so, why??? -- except maybe Holly and her husband (the original child abductors) looked for a particular type of kid that reminded them of their own son? --

I don't remember any clue as to how Bob ever got away from the family, did he somehow escape? But did he go back to his real family? Or is that something we don't know?

I don't recall any of that being discussed in the movie.  If he had been drugged like Joy had been, that could make it difficult for him to know where their house was, which would explain why the aunt and uncle were never caught.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:36 AM »
The body that was found in the priest's basement was the uncle who had disappeared years ago.  His necklace had a 'maze' pendant on it...

Oh yes, of course! I completely forgot about that!
I must see it again!  ;D
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 12:32:22 PM »
^^I like that Holly said early on that her husband disappeared after a fight they had one time, then never came back. 

So that was one piece of the puzzle that fit nicely.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Uli

• The Daylight Hallucination
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 04:39:55 PM »
Watched it today...

Holy shit!!!! That was intense!!! Great acting all around, I thought, not only Jake and Hugh Jackman, but also Joys Parents!

I still love Jake dearly, but I have to admit with his last movies I was usually more excited before the movies came out than when I finally saw them... So I was prepared to be a bit disappointed... But that was totally unnecessary!!! Nice dark, gritty, disturbing!
Unfortunately I had to watch it dubbed in German, so I can't wait for the DVD or if I am lucky that it gets released while I am staying in some other country... :D

I think most of the clues I got, but I also wondered if it was at some point mentioned how Bob had escaped.

Also I thought they didn't abduct the children as replacement for their dead son, but as revenge for god, because losing their children would make parents turn their backs on god. So I am even more wondering, how Bob escaped and why they had kept Alex instead of just killing him...

I liked that it was not a complete happy ending - that would have been too neat... So I prefer to think that Loki didn't find Keller.

I thought Loki's blinking was a nice touch and very fitting!! I am glad the director let Jake do it in the end.

Also I saw a preview for Oldboy with Josh Brolin. Another "Holy shit" movie... But that one looked like I might not be tough enough to watch it...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:30:44 PM by Uli »
When I feel the warmth of your very soul
I forget I'm cold and crying
When your lips touch mine and I lose control
I forget I'm old and dying

Martin L. Gore - Damaged People

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 06:26:45 PM »
Hello Uli!

I'm so glad you liked "Prisoners" and the one word that keeps getting mentioned over and over again from various people is "intense".   I was really impressed with Hugh Jackman's performance.  Jake had done intense before, so I knew he could pull it off.

I may have missed it in the movie, but I truly don't believe how he had escaped, just that he actually did escape.

Offline Uli

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »

I'm so glad you liked "Prisoners" and the one word that keeps getting mentioned over and over again from various people is "intense".   

Yeah, I am glad, too, LOL!

And so true about "intense", I thought the same when I wrote that...
Also some other people in the cinema seemed like "Damn!!" :D
It seemed they didn't at all expect what they got in the end. 4 people left the cinema... :-/

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 06:38:22 PM »
It seemed they didn't at all expect what they got in the end. 4 people left the cinema... :-/

One thing that I found disturbing was at the second viewing, where a few people were laughing at some of the first torture scenes.

I was so thrown by that. 

Once it more 'intense', the laughter stopped.

Offline Uli

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
One thing that I found disturbing was at the second viewing, where a few people were laughing at some of the first torture scenes.

I was so thrown by that. 

Once it more 'intense', the laughter stopped.

Wow, luckily I noticed nothing like that!! I actually thought that throughout the movie the cinema seemed extremely quiet. I can't remember in which scene, but at some point there were groans, though...  :D
Both facts made me think that it was unexpected for most people how dark and hard to watch the movie was.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 06:50:47 PM »
Both facts made me think that it was unexpected for most people how dark and hard to watch the movie was.

Two scenes I remember getting groans....when Hugh Jackman grabs the hammer, and when Joy's mother pulls the cover from his head, and you see the results of what's been done to him.

Offline Uli

• Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »
Two scenes I remember getting groans....when Hugh Jackman grabs the hammer, and when Joy's mother pulls the cover from his head, and you see the results of what's been done to him.

Yeah, it's possible that it was in those moments...
The hammer moment made me avert my eyes because I was scared of what we would see...

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
Yeah, it's possible that it was in those moments...
The hammer moment made me avert my eyes because I was scared of what we would see...

I didn't avert my eyes, but I was on the edge of my seat...thinking "no!"

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 02:11:54 AM »
Holy shit!!!! That was intense!!! Great acting all around, I thought, not only Jake and Hugh Jackman, but also Joys Parents!

I still love Jake dearly, but I have to admit with his last movies I was usually more excited before the movies came out than when I finally saw them... So I was prepared to be a bit disappointed... But that was totally unnecessary!!! Nice dark, gritty, disturbing!

Hi Uli!

Holy shit indeed!  ;D

I know what you mean (I think). I hadn't seen any of Jake's movies in the theatre before as I only discovered him in BBM last year - "Prisoners' is my first! And what an expierence it was! It was great to see him on the big screen finally!

As for his last movies: I remember seeing 'Source Code' and 'Love and other drugs' on DVD and thinking: "Hmmm... don't know what to think about that one". 'Souce Code' has grown on me since then, LAOD hasn't  ;D

But this... wow! It's Jake's best performance since Jack Twist, IMO.
There's so much more to Loki than what meets the eye. He isn't just that tough guy - he's also vulnerable. I remember watching the scene in the hospital where he's reading the paper and he has the conversation with Anna's mother... he looked lost - I just wanted to reach out and hug him  ;)
Must say Jake got a lot more screen time than I had expected! That was a pleasant surprise.

When I left the theatre, I felt like "woooooooo - what the **** "  :-\  I walked out of the cinema expecting it would rain outside! And it wasn't raining and I was like: oh yeah, it was just a movie.

Hugh Jackman was fabulous, Viola Davis was too. Paul Dano was great - the make-up department must've had the time of their lifes with his part - the scene where the cover is pulled off... I almost couldn't watch it!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 06:17:48 AM »
I thought Loki's blinking was a nice touch and very fitting!! I am glad the director let Jake do it in the end.

Many, many people complained (whined)  on Jake's  Loki's blinking in many, many comments I read before seeing the movie, saying Jake was suffering from some nervous tic all of a sudden...  :-\

The blinking wasn't nearly as distracting as I thought it would be. In fact, it reminded me once again how much Jake acts with his eyes - and those eyelashes... To see those eyelashes on the big screen was a joy!  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
One thing I was unclear about was how long he was down in the hole under that car.   When she (Holly Jones) shot Dover, she made a comment about wanting him to survive long enough for her to put his daughter in the hole with him.   However, when Loki is reading the paper, the pic of Dover had the headline "Local Man Still Missing", so how many days was he down there?

The three people I saw it with thought it was the next day.  I thought it was way longer than that.  They thought the woman made him
drink poison, but when she made him drink it, she stated it was so she could control him (and I thought of Michael Jackson's Jesus Juice)
so I didn't think it was poison necessarily.  I thought it would be how COLD it was that he wouldn't survive long.

I actually didn't like the ending with the whistle.  I found it comical.  In this type of film I don't think you want
things like that left open.  There's too much trauma to leave it up in the air like that.  You guys think Loki would
have found him?  What about this idea:  He knew the kind of sadist Dover was torturing the guy he thought was the
kidnapper--maybe he would've left him in there.

The name Loki-I couldn't get out of my mind that Loki is Thor's brother.  They HAD to use a name like that?

The Paul Dano character--don't you think that they had the scene where he was walking the dog and  he lifted it up by the chain and
was hurting it, so that when Dover was torturing him audiences wouldn't feel sorry fr him?  It would've made the scenes play differently
had they not done that I feel.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 03:53:41 PM »
The Paul Dano character--don't you think that they had the scene where he was walking the dog and  he lifted it up by the chain and
was hurting it, so that when Dover was torturing him audiences wouldn't feel sorry fr him?  It would've made the scenes play differently had they not done that I feel.

I didn't take it that way at all.

They mentioned quite a few times that he had the mentality of a 10 year-old boy, and I'm sure there were people watching the movie who would think that a 10 year-old wouldn't have it in him to kidnap or hurt two little girls.   However, when you see that scene, you understand that he could be.

My mother always told me to beware of people who hurt animals, because if they'll hurt an animal, they'll easily hurt people as well.  That was the first thought that came to my head when I saw that scene.