The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 37072 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
At the suggestion of BlueJeanJeanie, I have quoted Gazapete's post about Prisoners, and posted it here.

This thread is un-archived and unlocked.  If you want to start discussion again, please feel free to post!!  ;D

I promised to write something about Prisoners, so here I am. I am not good at analysing movies, formal aspects, script, editing and such, I have no idea how to write a review. So I am just going to talk about what I think is the main feeling of this movie: itís all about failure.

I guess you all saw it already, but just in case, SPOILERS galore.

All of them fail, one after the other. A father who makes his only task in life to protect his family, but fails to keep the weakest one away from danger. Who then decides to take justice in his own hands and makes mistake after mistake, interfering with the police work and torturing an innocent man, who is a victim himself. When he accuses Loki for spending too much time chasing after him, he fails to see that it was his actions which constantly took Lokiís attention from the main point of it all. He also abandons his family when they most need them.

And Loki, who doesnít see the truth in front of him and neglects to recognise two abused children, when it is somehow implied that he is an abused child himself. Whose lack of patience brings this poor guy to kill himself. At the end of the movie he feels like a failure because he indeed fails to assemble the puzzle, and he has almost all pieces from the beginning.
Joyís parents fail to stop his friend, even if they know that what he is doing is terribly wrong. Annaís parents fail to protect their son, treat him as if he were an adult man and donít see that he is also a child.

Even the police chief fails, so worried about public image that he releases the suspect who has all the clues before Loki can get something useful from him. And the priest, and the forensic guy who says labyrinths have nothing to do with this case, and andÖ

I know some of these assertions are very unfair, itís just the feeling I got watching the movie again. Who knows what I would do in that situation, I hope I will never find me there.

I would say there is much of a political statement after Hugh Jackmanís character, the arrogance of thinking you are the only one who can solve a problem, these kind of guy who despises the authorities work and believe themselves to have the right to make justice their own way. I know this is way before his orange highness, but I see a Trump voter here.

Jakeís performance is terrific, but Hugh Jackman is the one that really stands out in this movie, he is unhinged, I am surprised he didnít get a nomination for this role.

Enough rambling, anyone feels like talking about this movie?

PS: Someone explain me how is it possible that Jake keeps being hot even when he is doing his hardest to look bad.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2018, 07:37:39 AM »
That's an excellent review, Elena. It's one of the first times I've read this:

All of them fail, one after the other.

... but you're right of course.

I must admit, I hadn't thought about all of the failures in the movie, but you are correct.  On some level, everyone seems to fail.  Very good observation!

I generally don't review a film from a technical aspect.  I'm more of an "emotional" person, so I get more involved with how a movie makes me feel, and how I react to it, as opposed to the look, editing, cinematography and scene construction.

Very good review, Elena!  I think you did better than you thought you would.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2018, 08:08:47 AM »
Thank you so much, Chuck! Also for moving my post here, I wasn't aware of this thread.
About the failures, the thing is that I had already seen the movie, so from the first scene I got trapped by this feeling of everything is going to go wrong, everything. All the suffering could have been avoided from the first scene, when nobody finds the caravan suspicious. There would have been no movie then, but you hopefully get my meaning.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2018, 08:29:19 AM »
Thank you so much, Chuck! Also for moving my post here, I wasn't aware of this thread.

You're welcome Elena!

As for not knowing this thread was here, technically, it wasn't.  LOL

If a thread becomes inactive for some time, and it appears that all conversation has stopped,  generally the thread will get locked to prevent further posts, and moved to an archive section.  However, mods can move them back and unlock them if more conversation will happen, so that's what I did.

:)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »
I generally don't review a film from a technical aspect.  I'm more of an "emotional" person, so I get more involved with how a movie makes me feel, and how I react to it, as opposed to the look, editing, cinematography and scene construction.

*nods*  Yes, same for me.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
Re-posted rom the Serious Jake thread - it was meant to be posted here. Sorry folks  ;D

Now that I have a new TV (!!!), I'll re-visit 'Prisoners' soon to see if my opinion has changed. Haven't seen it in quite some time. I have to say I do remember not being too thrilled with the Hugh Jackman character.

I know this is way before his orange highness, but I see a Trump voter here.

His orange highness  :laugh:  But yes, definitely.

Hugh Jackman is the one that really stands out in this movie, he is unhinged, I am surprised he didn’t get a nomination for this role.

Uhm... he went over the top, I think. At one point I got so fed up with all the shouting and the violence. I'm usually far more intrigued by subtle acting - and Hugh was far from subtle this time. I know that's what his character needed, but... I think Hugh was at his best in this scene with Jake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zooQSyenyE

And the scene where Jake Loki shows Hugh Keller the pictures of the childrens' clothes. Can't seem to find it on YouTube right now. The way he said: "You wasted time. You let this happen" was indeed genius, and so subtle and yet so powerful he crushed Loki's ego with just those few words. That's the way to do it!

Edit: oh, I found it. Never mind the subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCbwdiFJH6k

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2018, 03:34:53 AM »
Those scenes are both great, breathtaking.

I am all for subtle acting, but in this case, I think there's nothing subtle about this character. I honestly think that it cried for this kind of acting. And I don't think it is necessarily a character you must be thrilled about, he is a violent guy who doesn't hesitate to use torture. I mean, yeah, it is a desperate situation, but it does not justify what he does to that kid, in my opinion. He is a bit like an alpha male unable to process being demoted by a new alpha (Loki), he has to be in charge, otherwise he doesn't feel as a real man. No subtlety about it. This kind of guys really cause too much troubles in this world.

I guess I didn't like this character too much either.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »
[...] he has to be in charge, otherwise he doesn't feel as a real man. No subtlety about it. This kind of guys really cause too much troubles in this world.

I don't suppose you're talking about his orange highness here?

I better shut up before this thread gets too political  :-X

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2018, 10:07:05 AM »
Not only but kind of?
I think this movie could really be politically interpreted, but I don't think it was intended to be so.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2018, 01:27:05 AM »
This is very interesting:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ok-gjoh5ur4

At 4:50 he talks about the ineptitude in the movie, similar to the point I was trying to make. That makes me feel so good!  :D

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #220 on: July 13, 2018, 01:52:39 AM »
Quoting myself - sorry  ;D

I'm still trying to find a few that focus on Loki's eye tic - that could be fun!  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B50Ptn7ymJ0&t=86s