The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 39007 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 05:02:14 PM »

Yes, that's still the same point.  Because of that scene, people might be
less inclined to feel sorry for him when he was being excruciatingly tortured.

Another thought occurs-=mentality of a ten year old, but still able to drive?

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 01:50:09 AM »
I actually didn't like the ending with the whistle.  I found it comical.  In this type of film I don't think you want
things like that left open.  There's too much trauma to leave it up in the air like that.
  You guys think Loki would
have found him?  What about this idea:  He knew the kind of sadist Dover was torturing the guy he thought was the
kidnapper--maybe he would've left him in there.

I agree. There's this huge build-up to the movie's final scenes (145 minutes of it!) and then...  :-\

When the credits came on, I thought: this is it? Oh.

I don't think Loki would've left Keller there. He's too much of a detective to just leave him. He heard the whistle, twice (at least), so... No, I'm sure he would try to save him - I think.

We need a sequel on this one, guys!
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline Uli

• The Daylight Hallucination
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 02:02:47 AM »
Hi Uli!

Holy shit indeed!  ;D

I know what you mean (I think). I hadn't seen any of Jake's movies in the theatre before as I only discovered him in BBM last year - "Prisoners' is my first! And what an expierence it was! It was great to see him on the big screen finally!

Wow, with you joining the Brokeback and Jake train so late you had so much to discover on DVD. I know back in the day I went and bought every movie he had done before!!! :D :D I was pretty excited about most of them and kept watching them over and over (even the ones I was not that thrilled about - Proof and The day after tomorrow). I wonder if then I had been a bit more enthusiastic about his later films... :D

As for his last movies: I remember seeing 'Source Code' and 'Love and other drugs' on DVD and thinking: "Hmmm... don't know what to think about that one". 'Souce Code' has grown on me since then, LAOD hasn't  ;D

I was very much looking forward to both of them. LAOD looked so promising with the great chemistry Anne and Jake had in interviews, but.... :D :D
Something felt off in Jake's acting I thought. Although there were some nice scenes, too, because he looked so good in that movie... Yeah, that's how shallow I am sometimes... :D

But this... wow! It's Jake's best performance since Jack Twist, IMO.
There's so much more to Loki than what meets the eye. He isn't just that tough guy - he's also vulnerable. I remember watching the scene in the hospital where he's reading the paper and he has the conversation with Anna's mother... he looked lost - I just wanted to reach out and hug him  ;)

Yeah, I understand your completely motherly feelings for him... :D :D

But to not turn this into Jake's Eyelashes... I agree, the performance was great!! Not sure about the best performance since, but to be honest I would also not know which that would have been otherwise... (PoP? LOL!). But for sure nothing felt off to me!! I bought this tough, resignated, sad, lonely guy from him!

Have you ever wondered what the movie would have been like if Jake had played Keller Dover (err, Dover Keller? LOL, I can't remember which way round, cause both are to me foreign first names - since Keller means basement in German and Dover, well, is on the coast of England... :D)
In that case I would have been more bothered by the ending - not being sure if he was discovered in that hole in time... :D

Must say Jake got a lot more screen time than I had expected! That was a pleasant surprise.

When I left the theatre, I felt like "woooooooo - what the **** "  :-\  I walked out of the cinema expecting it would rain outside! And it wasn't raining and I was like: oh yeah, it was just a movie.

Hugh Jackman was fabulous, Viola Davis was too. Paul Dano was great - the make-up department must've had the time of their lifes with his part - the scene where the cover is pulled off... I almost couldn't watch it!

LOL about the rain!! :D

I have to admit I didn't know that Alex was played by an actor who is actually quite known... He looked so awful, even before being beaten up... I was really wondering "Wow, where did they find that guy..."  :">
I wonder if it is frustrating for an actor when you are cast wilth "Hey, you've got the perfect face for playing a potential murder with an IQ of a bag of chips!"  :-\ But he was doing a good job and I have looked up his other movies since... :D

When I feel the warmth of your very soul
I forget I'm cold and crying
When your lips touch mine and I lose control
I forget I'm old and dying

Martin L. Gore - Damaged People

Offline Uli

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 02:07:31 AM »
Many, many people complained (whined)  on Jake's  Loki's blinking in many, many comments I read before seeing the movie, saying Jake was suffering from some nervous tic all of a sudden...  :-\

The blinking wasn't nearly as distracting as I thought it would be. In fact, it reminded me once again how much Jake acts with his eyes - and those eyelashes... To see those eyelashes on the big screen was a joy!  :)

I liked the blinking, thought it was well done, not over the top and so not distracting at all... Not that I am an expert on eye blinking... :D
Don't understand why people have a problem with it... On IMDB (don't ask me whiy I was reading there, LOL) one person was insisting that it is not Loki's, but Jake's blinkiing and that he is seriously sick and his acting career is in danger if he can't get rid of this blinking... :D :D :D

And LOL about the eyelashes on the big screen... :D

Offline Jules

• The Silent Observer
  • Obsessed
  • Jake's CCC
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 02:13:19 AM »
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the ending as 'open' at all.

From someone who shares my view, she explains this better than my English is able to.

1. Anna’s mother asks Detective Loki what will happen to the father/her husband if he is found. It’s stated that he will very likely go to jail—after all, he kidnapped and tortured someone.

2. The very last frame of the movie shows Loki turning towards the camera and looking in the direction of the whistle. The fact that this is the very last frame is meant to signify that he does indeed go find Anna’s father. It ends on a frame of hope, not one of doubt (that would have been if Loki turned away from the camera in the final frame).
"Truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Uli

• Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 02:20:20 AM »
The three people I saw it with thought it was the next day.  I thought it was way longer than that.  They thought the woman made him
drink poison, but when she made him drink it, she stated it was so she could control him (and I thought of Michael Jackson's Jesus Juice)
so I didn't think it was poison necessarily.  I thought it would be how COLD it was that he wouldn't survive long.

I actually didn't like the ending with the whistle.  I found it comical.  In this type of film I don't think you want
things like that left open.  There's too much trauma to leave it up in the air like that.  You guys think Loki would
have found him?  What about this idea:  He knew the kind of sadist Dover was torturing the guy he thought was the
kidnapper--maybe he would've left him in there.

I agree he was just drugged, not poisoned. I don't know how long he could survive in there, I just remember that Holly gave him 24 hours due to his shot wound... But I think it was at least 48 hours. Loki rescued Anna in the evening and they managed to talk to each other in the hospital. He headline in the newspaper said "still missing". If that had been only the next day it should have said "missing" without the "still", cause this would have been the first time it appeared in the newspaper. So this would be at least day 2 after the happenings at Holly's house. And at the end, back at Holly's house they were packing up for the night... So here we are at at least 48 hours later...

I still like the fact, that we don't know if he was rescued... I was already a bit disappointed that Anna survived... Now, that sounds a bit weird... :D
Well, I just sometimes like things not to end too perfectly happy... So I prefer to think that Keller died down there and they found him 5 days later when they finally moved the car on top of the hole...

The Paul Dano character--don't you think that they had the scene where he was walking the dog and  he lifted it up by the chain and
was hurting it, so that when Dover was torturing him audiences wouldn't feel sorry fr him?  It would've made the scenes play differently
had they not done that I feel.

I don't think they had him hurt the dog to make people not feel sorry for him, but just to keep him in the loop as potential suspect.

Offline Jules

• The Silent Observer
  • Obsessed
  • Jake's CCC
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:25 AM »
I don't think they had him hurt the dog to make people not feel sorry for him, but just to keep him in the loop as potential suspect.

I agree.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2013, 06:13:04 AM »
Have you ever wondered what the movie would have been like if Jake had played Keller Dover (err, Dover Keller? LOL, I can't remember which way round, cause both are to me foreign first names - since Keller means basement in German and Dover, well, is on the coast of England... :D)
In that case I would have been more bothered by the ending - not being sure if he was discovered in that hole in time... :D

Yes, I know! I'm Dutch  :D

I think Jake could've played a fine Keller Dover and Hugh could've played a fine Det. Loki! It could've been the other way 'round - but then I also would've liked a different ending... no way we can leave Jake in that hole!  :o  >:(

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2013, 06:22:43 AM »
1. Anna’s mother asks Detective Loki what will happen to the father/her husband if he is found. It’s stated that he will very likely go to jail—after all, he kidnapped and tortured someone.

Yes, I remember that.

2. The very last frame of the movie shows Loki turning towards the camera and looking in the direction of the whistle. The fact that this is the very last frame is meant to signify that he does indeed go find Anna’s father. It ends on a frame of hope, not one of doubt (that would have been if Loki turned away from the camera in the final frame).

I hadn't thought of that. That's a good statement. Thanks Jules.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2013, 06:35:18 AM »
I agree he was just drugged, not poisoned. I don't know how long he could survive in there, I just remember that Holly gave him 24 hours due to his shot wound... But I think it was at least 48 hours. Loki rescued Anna in the evening and they managed to talk to each other in the hospital. He headline in the newspaper said "still missing". If that had been only the next day it should have said "missing" without the "still", cause this would have been the first time it appeared in the newspaper. So this would be at least day 2 after the happenings at Holly's house. And at the end, back at Holly's house they were packing up for the night... So here we are at at least 48 hours later...

I still like the fact, that we don't know if he was rescued... I was already a bit disappointed that Anna survived... Now, that sounds a bit weird... :D
Well, I just sometimes like things not to end too perfectly happy... So I prefer to think that Keller died down there and they found him 5 days later when they finally moved the car on top of the hole...

I'll have to think about this. I must admit for the last 15 minutes or so I was sort of distracted from the movie, because some  people behind me started talking and eating  :-\
I still feel I missed some important information on Holly Jones.

Disappointed that Anna was alive? I was pleased!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »

It ends on a frame of hope

It would be hope for those who have some desire to see this man get out of there.
But I had no great affection for this guy at all, so what would I be hoping for? If
he stays or goes his life isn't going to be anything you'd hope for.

Offline Jules

• The Silent Observer
  • Obsessed
  • Jake's CCC
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:56 AM »
It would be hope for those who have some desire to see this man get out of there.
But I had no great affection for this guy at all, so what would I be hoping for? If
he stays or goes his life isn't going to be anything you'd hope for.

I would hope he does his time and pay for what he did.

I would also hope that justice goes beyond the affection one can have or not for a convict...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:58:07 AM by Jules »

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
According to Mojo, the total gross for 'Prisoners' is now $53,620,000 (USA only).

In its 4th week, it ranks 6th.

Total worldwide gross:  $76,220,000.

That's not bad. That's not bad at all.    

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
I would also hope that justice goes beyond the affection one can have or not for a convict...

I didn't mean that in a "real life" situation way, but rather the way the film was constructed at the end,
in the sense that the quoted reviewer said that the scene with Jake was "meant to convey a ray of hope
rather than doubt."  I don't think it worked that way for the reasons I stated.  Either way he is going to
suffer, as is his family. In that sense, he's already "paid for what he did."  So if that scene was meant to
be satisfying to an audience (as in something hopeful) I don't see it that way. I think they were just looking
for something to personally make them feel better about the entire bleak circumstances.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »

My friend had a Bafta screening of PRISONERS last night and a previously unannounced Q&A with
Jake G. was held afterwards.  He told me about it on his way home last night. We didn't talk long,
but one thing he mentioned was that Jake alluded to an alternate ending that had been filmed. It
showed what happened to Dover when they got him out of the hole and what happened to him
concerning his previous actions and such.  It wasn't used because it did not test well with audiences.
(Also would've made the film a lot longer!) So, I guess the intent is that Dover does get out of there
and faces the music, but audiences didn't necessarily want to see that play out.