The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 37074 times)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:16 AM »
Well, that's interesting! Here's to seeing that in the deleted scenes on the DVD!  ;)

And also the Q&A with Jake of course!

Thanks, Lyle!

Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 04:16:01 AM »
My friend had a Bafta screening of PRISONERS last night and a previously unannounced Q&A with
Jake G. was held afterwards.  He told me about it on his way home last night. We didn't talk long,
but one thing he mentioned was that Jake alluded to an alternate ending that had been filmed. It
showed what happened to Dover when they got him out of the hole and what happened to him
concerning his previous actions and such.  It wasn't used because it did not test well with audiences.
(Also would've made the film a lot longer!) So, I guess the intent is that Dover does get out of there
and faces the music, but audiences didn't necessarily want to see that play out.

Interesting.  I must admit, it wouldn't have 'tested' well with me either.  I thought the ending was fine just the way it is.

Offline Jules

• The Silent Observer
  • Obsessed
  • Jake's CCC
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 06:19:22 AM »
Interesting.  I must admit, it wouldn't have 'tested' well with me either.  I thought the ending was fine just the way it is.

I thought the same.
"Truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
I thought the same.

I don't need to know what happens to him 'after', he's found alive, and then it's up to your imagination to complete what you think will happen.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »
I guess you're right. I thought the ending was quite unsatisfactory when I sat through the whole 150 minutes of the film, but the more I think about it... leaving it 'open' like that adds to the mystery of the film.

We also don't know what happened to Ennis after he said "Jack, I swear...", do we? And look where that brought us!  ;)

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
I just found this video on YouTube, where Jake talks about the last scene in the movie (at 3:15) and how it's meant to be ambiguous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrOSVXuIFVg

It's funny to hear him say they tried to "cover every detail, every posiible question that could be asked by the audience" - well, except for the ending then  :)

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 08:01:52 AM »
haahaha....Well, if something is ambiguous, that leads to questions.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:48 AM »
Prisoners has moved back up the movie chart, pulling ahead of the recently released Machete Kills and is back in the top 5.  New domestic total is $54,548,799, almost to a $10 million profit in domestic totals alone.

Marc

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 01:19:03 PM »

OK, let's get to the important stuff:  Jake's clothes.  I was annoyed that his collar button was buttoned all the time.  I'm not sure anybody does that but a few old men.  (I'm 62, and I don't do it.)  What's the point of having such a beautiful chest if you don't show it off?

His shirt was fitted, as befits his physique.  But I was further annoyed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.  I wanted to see his, um, tits.  It seemed odd that he wore an athletic t-shirt.  It's a strange vestment, smoothing out your tits but not soaking up any sweat.

I thought the race to the ER was silly.

But I did enjoy the movie.  I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
OK, let's get to the important stuff:  Jake's clothes.

:D  That was good!   Glad to hear you thought it was a good movie!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 05:52:51 AM »
OK, let's get to the important stuff:  Jake's clothes. 

... But I was further annoyed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.  I wanted to see his, um, tits. 

:D  :D  :D

I can assure you - I wasn't expecting to see that beautiful body  chest naked this time. Not in 'Prisoners'.
Maybe in his next one, 'Enemy'?

Jake got much, much more screen time in 'Prisoners' than I had expected anyway, so I wasn't disappointed at all. And he was so damn good, too.

Why did you think the race to the hospital was silly, Marc? I was on the edge of my seat during that scene!

P.S. Have you noticed that "on the edge on my / your seat" is used a lot in many reviews for this film? I wonder why  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
But I was further annoyed that he wore a t-shirt under his shirt.  It seemed odd that he wore an athletic t-shirt.

Not sure what you mean by "athletic" t-shirt, but I grew up in upstate NY and until I was over 20 I thought it was
practically a requirement to wear a t-shirt under your top shirt.  And I suppose we all did because it was pretty cold
all of the year and it was another layer to keep you comfortable. So I assume those in PA do it, too!

Marc

« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »

By "athletic shirt," I meant a t-shirt that doesn't have sleeves, like a basketball uniform. 

I thought the race to the ER overdid it:  child dying in back seat; driver wounded with blood dripping into his eyes; lots of traffic; nighttime; and of course it's raining.  To their credit, I don't think they had Jake driving on the wrong side of the road. 

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »
Friday numbers aren't up yet, as of Thursday Prisoners was #5 and with a total domestic take of $55,194,158.  Domestic profit of $10 million may be reached after this weekend.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2013, 08:59:26 AM »
Over at IMDb, there's Oscar-talk for 'Prisoners' already. I think it's great Jake got honoured at the Hollywood Film Festival last week, winning Best Supporting Actor 2013 for his role of det. Loki, but I'm not too sure about the Oscars...  :-\

Here are some comments from IMDb:

"I just have to accept that people like Jackman, and always will. Acting can come in many styles, and people have different tastes, and Jackman's 'method' is not in my taste at all. I think Gyllenhaal was brilliant and obviously way better than Jackman, but hey, that's just my opinion."

[...]

"I completely agree there. Jackman was good, but he was completely outclassed by Gyllenhaal. The thing is, Jackman had the more showy, obvious role and that's what Oscar likes to reward. Gyllenhaal's performance was much more layered, subtle, unpredictable and impressive... which is to say not Oscar bait."

[...]

"Absolutely, I'm glad you can see that. I guess Jackman wasn't bad, for him, but I still don't like his approach to acting. I was very impressed with Gyllenhaal, and I see he's matured a lot as an actor. He was great in Brokeback Mountain, but Ledger overshadowed him, just like Gyllenhaal did here to Jackman."

:)
Obviously, the last comment is why I posted (part of) the conversation on here.

Any thoughts? There has been some discussion on the movie thread already, but I would like to read some opinions from people on this thread as well.
Do you think Jake's role as det. Loki is being overrated or underrated?

I'm not ashamed to say I went to see 'Prisoners' because of Jake, but I was impressed by all actors, really.