The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED  (Read 37076 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Prisoners Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INCLUDED
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2013, 01:58:41 PM »

I think it's one of his best roles in a long time.  (I didn't see the cop drama though yet.)

Offline mardu

• Feet Wet
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »
Hi everybody! My need to discuss Prisoners brought me here to your forum. English is not my maternal language, so excuse my mistakes.

I like Prisoners very much, I think it's Jake's great performance, second after BBM. I find also some similarities between Loki and Jack Twist. Some loneliness, some sexy slowness in his movements, long stares, even buttoned shirt is a bit similar. I am also glad like it was said here before, that Jake got much more screen time, than I thought he would.
The ending - in the cinema I was taken by surprise, I said "no!" to myself, I wanted to see Loki rescuing Keller, just to satisfy myself. But then it would always be a need for something more - like what will happen to Keller later on, how all this story will influence Dover's family life? After finding out what he was able to do to another human being, nothing would be the same probably. How to explain it to his son? The end justifies the means? Some people would be able to do this, some do not. I know I wouldn't hurt any person, but I was never in such situation.
Now after a lot of reading, discussions, interviews watching  etc - I think the end is right. I never had a doubt Loki would rescue someone whistling from underground. He is a good man, that's how I see him and that's was the right thing to do. I don't think he knew it was Keller. It could be a victim he didn't know about yet. He could suspect that Keller escaped after Alex was found. By the way, I wonder if the girls mentioned anything about the hole in the ground.
Keller's big mistake was that he didn't trust Loki. He should tell him about his suspicions before he went to Holly Jones. That way he could die, his daughter could die too and all his "justified brutality" would be for nothing. He acted like a lonely cowboy. He believed in his own judgment only. But I understand him. Noone really believed in what he said about parking scene with Alex, him singing a song or a scene with a dog. All these little puzzles convinced Keller that even if Alex was not a kidnapper, he knew where the girls are.
Alex is a very mysterious character, like with a dual personality. I wonder if he remembered all the time that he was kidnapped himself. I thought for a while that maybe a torture refreshed some childhood memories, buried deeply in a need to survive. Otherwise, he wouldn't bring the girls to Holly's house. Paul Dano played Alex excellently!

Me too. I think Loki spotted him at the vigil, didn't he? Bob ran off - I think Loki later said: "Why did you run away from me, man?" But why did he (Loki) go after him (Bob) in the first place? Why was he a suspect? Just because he ran off? The children's clothes he bought - that was later on in the movie, wasn't it?

I'm also completely puzzled at the mazes (is that a word?) They reminded me of the encrypted letters of 'Zodiac'... and I didn't understand any of that either  ;D
Bob Taylor behaved suspiciously. He gently caressed a teddy bear, placed among the candles, which caught Loki's attention. When Bob discovered he was observed by Loki, started to back off the place. It was strange enough for Loki to follow him. He (Loki) probably went there to check the people who gathered there, to start on something.
Mazes - kids had to solve all the mazes to be free. The last one was not possible to be solved. That was one more torture. Kids could feel guilty, they had to stay there because of it. Bob probably became obsessed from that reason. Interesting character, well acted role!

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Old Brokeback got me good and it sure ain't over
  • Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2013, 07:48:37 AM »
Hi everybody! My need to discuss Prisoners brought me here to your forum. English is not my maternal language, so excuse my mistakes.

I like Prisoners very much, I think it's Jake's great performance, second after BBM. I find also some similarities between Loki and Jack Twist. Some loneliness, some sexy slowness in his movements, long stares, even buttoned shirt is a bit similar. I am also glad like it was said here before, that Jake got much more screen time, than I thought he would.

Hi Mardu!

How nice to see you here!  :D  Welcome!
Don't worry about your English, it's fine!

I agree with your comment. There are glimpses of Jack Twist in detective Loki - how weird is that?!  ;)  :D  And the loneliness... I think we all saw that in the scene at the restaurant. Somehow it reminded me of the bar scene in BBM where Jack sits at the bar, drinks his beer and watches the rodeo clown.

It's been a couple of weeks since I saw 'Prisoners', and I only saw it once, missing a lot of clues. Reading your comment makes me want to see the film again!  ;D
You obviously paid more attention to some of the details than I did.

The ending - in the cinema I was taken by surprise, I said "no!" to myself, I wanted to see Loki rescuing Keller, just to satisfy myself. [...]  Now after a lot of reading, discussions, interviews watching  etc - I think the end is right. I never had a doubt Loki would rescue someone whistling from underground. He is a good man, that's how I see him and that's was the right thing to do. I don't think he knew it was Keller. It could be a victim he didn't know about yet.

You're right. That's an interesting thought.

Loved reading your comment, Mardu. Thank you. I hope you'll post some more.
Chaos is order yet undeciphered.

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Prisoners was definitely the Jake fix I needed, I love how he conveyed the unaffected detective at the beginning with that nonchalant manner that had me upset in the audience from Hugh's perspective, like, "don't be so calm about our child being missing." However that was the beauty of Jake's acting in this film, the detective who keeps his emotions bottled up until the they erupted in that keyboard scene. Jake and Hugh complimented each other well, 'almost' the best since Jake and Heath. Their emotion made the movie exciting and thrilling vs. just being bleak. That damn aunt, I knew something was up with the aunt when she had that cloth covering her hand at the end, wish I could've gave Hugh a head's up lol. Out of the two depictions of Jake being in law enforcement, I love this one the most, acting wise because it was one main thing for his character to focus on and it provided the opportunity for Jake to show how that detective would rise to that situation, and aesthetic wise because that haircut is pretty Hot to see on Jake on the big screen vs. the shaved head he had in End of Watch. :D
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2013, 05:44:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum mardu!

Sonja, regarding your comments, I was really impressed with Hugh Jackman's performance.  I thought he was fantastic in the movie.  I don't think Jake's work was underrated, nor overrated.   It definitely wasn't everyone's "cup of tea" so to speak, but I thought he was fantastic in the role.

Offline mardu

• Feet Wet
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2013, 07:05:25 AM »
Thank you for the welcome!
BlueJeanDarlin
Reading your comment makes me want to see the film again!  Grin
You obviously paid more attention to some of the details than I did.
No, I didn't! LOL. I missed many important things, like with the maze to be solved by kids. Can you imagine? But the people, I saw the movie with, made me realize that. I had also very hot discussion on my local filmweb where are very different people with many strange ideas about the movie - like MK Ultra American project - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_MKUltra. One guy had an idea that Jonses were the part of this program, experimenting on the kids. But I don't think so.

Many, many people complained (whined)  on Jake's  Loki's blinking in many, many comments I read before seeing the movie, saying Jake was suffering from some nervous tic all of a sudden...  :-\

The blinking wasn't nearly as distracting as I thought it would be. In fact, it reminded me once again how much Jake acts with his eyes - and those eyelashes... To see those eyelashes on the big screen was a joy!  :)

I read comments like that too.  I heard about blinking straight from Jake in his interviews. Watching the movie, I was curious to see it, I knew it was his idea. I liked him doing that. It was cool, awoke my sympathy for Loki, made me concentrate on him (I would anyway though ;D) I don't understand these negative comments. It was acting obviously, not too easy for the actor. I don't think it was too much of it. Seemed very real!

I heard so much about movie being intense, that watching it finally I found it not so intense at all. Interesting thing, through the story, I was not worrying about girls mainly, but I was focused more on characters, on the impact kidnapping had on a family members.
Each one of them reacted in different way.
Grace Dover - I like the least her way of dealing with that tragedy. She was on drugs, sleeping, blaming her husband, that he didn't protect them well enough. I can imagine how awful it was to him. She was very passive, didn't help her son at all.
Keller was in a better position cause he acted, was doing something, took the case in his hands, was very active. I guess the worst thing when your kid is kidnapped is to stay at home, imagining what terrible things could happen to your child, waiting endlessly for police to find her/him.
Son was left to himself, no one really took care of him. Instead he had to care for his mom, when dad was away, torturing Alex.  
I liked The Birch family. They were supportive.

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »
...  I heard about blinking straight from Jake in his interviews. Watching the movie, I was curious to see it, I knew it was his idea. I liked him doing that. It was cool, awoke my sympathy for Loki, made me concentrate on him (I would anyway though ;D) I don't understand these negative comments. It was acting obviously, not too easy for the actor. I don't think it was too much of it. Seemed very real!

I felt the same way.

I heard so much about movie being intense, that watching it finally I found it not so intense at all.

You didn't? I thought the torturing scenes were pretty intense. I found them hard to watch - although it was incredible  acting by Hugh Jackman and Paul Dano. In fact, the whole atmosphere of the movie stayed with me for quite some time.

Offline AshesOnBrokeback

• Redlined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough..
  • Obsessed
  • Chris Twist
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2013, 10:20:45 AM »
I felt the same way.

You didn't? I thought the torturing scenes were pretty intense. I found them hard to watch - although it was incredible  acting by Hugh Jackman and Paul Dano. In fact, the whole atmosphere of the movie stayed with me for quite some time.

Me too, I usually can deal with really violent or gory scenes in movies but I almost had to turn away when it seemed like Hugh was going to smash Paul's hand with the hammer because that scene had so much emotion. Prisoners isn't the most intense film I've seen but subject matter wise and in a lot of scenes, there's some good intensity in this movie.
It's Nobody's Business But Ours,,

Offline BlueJeanJeannie

• Obsessed
  • Team Jake. Always.
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
... I don't think Jake's work was underrated, nor overrated. It definitely wasn't everyone's "cup of tea" so to speak, but I thought he was fantastic in the role.

The reason why I asked is because I keep reading these comments lately...

"Gyllenhaal is criminally underrated. His CV is almost impeccable (save for Prince of Persia) and he has been the lead in several of the best films of the past decade. Its kind of odd that he doesn't seem to get much respect."

Okay, maybe this should be in a Jake thread, but I might as well post it here, after all, he was  honoured for the role of Loki last week. As far as I know, that was one of his first acting awards since Brokeback. I'm glad for him 'Prisoners' is doing so well. Even over here (The Netherlands) the majority of the reviews are excellent.

Offline mardu

• Feet Wet
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2013, 12:23:20 PM »

These scenes were difficult to watch, especially the moment when Mrs Birch uncovers Alex head and we see his terribly swollen face or the moment with the hammer. I might see it a bit differently, cause before I had a chance to see the movie I knew a bit too much about it. Like I heard about hammer scene, when Keller smashes the wall near Alex head. If I remember it well, it was unexpected Hugh's act, out of his emotions at the moment. Paul got scared so much that he fainted or almost did. So watching the movie, I unconsciously focused on finding scenes I heard about. It probably gave me a different perception and distracted me a bit.
I always promise to myself to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but it's difficult to resist, waiting so long for a movie, seeing pictures from a set, stills, trailers, listening to interviews etc.

I'm glad for him 'Prisoners' is doing so well. Even over here (The Netherlands) the majority of the reviews are excellent.
I'm from Poland. Prisoners had good reviews here as well. And viewers' comments were and still are very good.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #70 on: October 29, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
Grace Dover - I like the least her way of dealing with that tragedy. She was on drugs, sleeping, blaming her husband, that he didn't protect them well enough. I can imagine how awful it was to him. She was very passive, didn't help her son at all.

Keller was in a better position cause he acted, was doing something, took the case in his hands, was very active. I guess the worst thing when your kid is kidnapped is to stay at home, imagining what terrible things could happen to your child, waiting endlessly for police to find her/him.

Son was left to himself, no one really took care of him. Instead he had to care for his mom, when dad was away, torturing Alex.   I liked The Birch family. They were supportive.

I never thought of the way the son was left alone to fend for himself, and had to take care of his mother.  You're right on that.

Offline mardu

• Feet Wet
« Reply #71 on: October 29, 2013, 02:04:51 PM »
I never thought of the way the son was left alone to fend for himself, and had to take care of his mother.  You're right on that.
It hit me. As a mom, I was sorry to see how lonely he was in all that situation, with a burden too big for his shoulder.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #72 on: October 29, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
It hit me. As a mom, I was sorry to see how lonely he was in all that situation, with a burden too big for his shoulder.

Yes, Dover was so obsessed with one child, he was neglecting the other.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2013, 06:35:16 AM »
Since there wasn't a Daily Sheet this week, we didn't get the latest numbers on Prisoners.

I'm assuming that this past weekend will be Prisoners' last weekend in the Top 10, as it finished the weekend at #10.   Over the weekend it took in another $1.068 million dollars, giving it a domestic total of $59,127,401, a $13 million profit in the US.

Foreign totals total $42,400,000, which almost equal the production cost of $46million, and this brings the total profit to $55.4 million.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53:03 PM »
It also took me a second viewing of the film to understand certain things.  I completely missed the whole point of Bob Taylor in the movie the first time (the guy who was captured and drawing the maze in the station, he had all the cartons of the kids clothes and snakes) but I caught on to what he was there for on the second viewing.

I saw the movie just once, and came away thinking that I'd missed some things and would have liked to see it again.  That character with the mazes was confusing.  Was he innocent, and just drawing suspicion away from the person who was really guilty?  I think he was actually innocent and not really part of he story, but it's been too long.  It does help to read people's comments here, though.

Thought the movie was really well done.  I was impressed by Jake's performance.  Also, it wasn't actually as violent as I had been afraid that it would be.  I went in thinking it would be "too intense" and thought the other person I was with would like it more than I would, but afterwards I felt relieved that I'd been able to watch the whole thing.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:34:44 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?